/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does Islam want us to kill infidels?

gigb007
07-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi,

I woudl like to understand muslims in closer way.

If Quran says " should live in peace in Harmony" then why a muslim should kill non muslims around the world.

This is not provoking , just try to understand islam.

Regards
GiGB

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm not a muslim, but I think that's a pretty universal question, so...

Some muslims kill non-muslims. Some muslims kill muslims. Some muslims aren't fussy who they kill. Some non-muslims kill muslims. Some non-muslims kill non-muslims. Some non-muslims aren't fussy who they kill.

In short, and very sadly, some people kill other people. Religion is never a reason for killing, but far too often it is used as either a scapegoat or an excuse for it.

aamirsaab
07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
:sl:
I think you need to be a little more specific in your post. Why muslims are killing non-muslims really depends on the situation and event. Whilst Islam does promote peace and unity towards one another, there are certain occasions where Allah has made it permissable to take arms (i.e it is possible to use the Qur'an to legitimately justify acts of war). Unfortunately, those who take arms under the name of Islam do so without proper understanding of these verses - often leading to cases of murder, genocide etc.

To answer your title : Nope. Islam doesn't want to kill any infidels. Obviously, this is just a short answer, but shall do for now. It really requires some sort of discussion though.

Woodrow
07-17-2008, 04:50 AM
One need only look at the number of Muslim Doctors who are in non-Muslim countries doing their best to save the lives of non-Muslims.

That should answer your question.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlackMamba
07-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Muslims should fight against the kuffar only when they fight you. it says in surah Baqarah and surah Hajj and if the enemy gives a treaty and seizes fighting then Muslims should stop fighting. So it is only perermitted to fight under certain circumstances. Many people fighting today are uneducated on religion and therfore become terrorists which is totally forbidden in islam.

nocturnal
10-07-2008, 03:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:
I think you need to be a little more specific in your post. Why muslims are killing non-muslims really depends on the situation and event. Whilst Islam does promote peace and unity towards one another, there are certain occasions where Allah has made it permissable to take arms (i.e it is possible to use the Qur'an to legitimately justify acts of war). Unfortunately, those who take arms under the name of Islam do so without proper understanding of these verses - often leading to cases of murder, genocide etc.

To answer your title : Nope. Islam doesn't want to kill any infidels. Obviously, this is just a short answer, but shall do for now. It really requires some sort of discussion though.

We can take up arms in self-defence, and in the defence of citizens of the Muslim Nation (this can generally be accepted as meaning Muslims globally). I just think the hypocrisy of the so called "liberal democracies" is staggering. They invaded and obliterate totally Iraq and Afghanistan, in the name of liberty and freedom and to protect it's citizens. Russia quite literally dismembered Georgia into pieces in the name of protecting it's citizens, surely, we too as Muslims have the right to protect our fellow citizens of this global nations, especially in lands that have been under the most murderous occupation such as Palestine.

barney
10-07-2008, 03:33 AM
The "sword" verses that Terrorists often quote come from Surah 9, revealed in the median phase of the early days of islam when the muslims were at war with their neighbours.
The Terrorists apply these verses to modern day situations as evidence of divine approval for their actions.

Hamayun
10-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Can you please provide the versus that say that? :)

Often versus are taken out of context which will obviously change the meaning.

There is not a single verse that tells us to go around killing anyone who is not a believer. :rollseyes

There are however versus that refer to defending yourself and fighting the opressors and the people who were attacking the Muslims back in those days.

Those versus are referring to specific events of history and advising the people of that time to defend themselves and fight back if the opressors attack them.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong. :)

czgibson
10-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Greetings,
Whilst Islam does promote peace and unity towards one another, there are certain occasions where Allah has made it permissable to take arms (i.e it is possible to use the Qur'an to legitimately justify acts of war). Unfortunately, those who take arms under the name of Islam do so without proper understanding of these verses - often leading to cases of murder, genocide etc.
Which shows how dangerous ambiguity can be - especially when found in a book that over a billion people believe is absolutely true and the ultimate guide to life.

Peace

aamirsaab
10-07-2008, 11:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Which shows how dangerous ambiguity can be - especially when found in a book that over a billion people believe is absolutely true and the ultimate guide to life.

Peace
Whilst ambiguity can be dangerous, a greater danger (to anyone) is ignorance. Those who commit crimes and use the Quran as backing often do so because of ignorance - especially if they are carrying out acts that are considered unlawful in Islam itself (e.g. suicide attacks).

Hamayun
10-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Greetings,

Peace
All you have to do is read the paragraph before and after and its not that hard to understand. Or just read the whole chapter. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the verses are referring to self defence from oppressors in a historical event and specific situation.

If it wasn't religion they would find another excuse.

Unfortunately the problem is not the verses... it is ignorance and lack of education. :)

Peace

czgibson
10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Greetings,
Whilst ambiguity can be dangerous, a greater danger (to anyone) is ignorance. Those who commit crimes and use the Quran as backing often do so because of ignorance - especially if they are carrying out acts that are considered unlawful in Islam itself (e.g. suicide attacks).
Ignorance is to be expected, though - ambiguity is just unnecessary. In this case, I would also argue that it shows considerable lack of foresight by the author.

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
All you have to do is read the paragraph before and after and its not that hard to understand. Or just read the whole chapter. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the verses are referring to self defence from oppressors in a historical event and specific situation.
That is exactly what you need to tell the unhelpful people who have used the Qur'an to justify their acts of violence. They have done it in the past and will no doubt continue to do so in the future.

If it wasn't religion they would find another excuse.
Perhaps they would, but it's still abundantly clear that religion makes conflict situations almost totally intractable. When two sides are arguing about matters of faith, no amount of discussion can ever resolve the issue, because there's no way of validating or falsifying their views.

Unfortunately the problem is not the verses... it is ignorance and lack of education.
My opinion is that they are both a problem, and the combination of the two can often be deadly.

Peace

Hamayun
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
My opinion is that they are both a problem, and the combination of the two can often be deadly.

Peace
I disagree (obviously :D) because I think the verses are crystal clear if not broken up or taken out of the paragraphs they belong in.

I challenge anyone who reads the verses in context with the intention of actually understanding them to show me where the confusion lies.

You would have to be pretty "simple" to misunderstand the meaning. Unless you were looking to justify something to make you feel better.

Peace :)

barney
10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Well the "002.193
YUSUFALI: And fight them on until there is no more Tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, Let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression.

This can be taken as it is read.

Fight the disbeleiver, until they have accepted Islam. If they ceasefire then do not attack unless oppressed.

Right, so what is oppression? Who is the attacker? What constitutes an attack? Economic attack? Insults? Military strikes? As a response to what?

Al Quada's grivences in the 1990's after they ran out of a suitable target in the Soviet Union, changed to the USA.
Firstly Because Arab countries leaderships had invited American forces onto their land to train and work with their own armed forces.
Secondly because the USA was backing Israel's right to exist.

Completly ignore that fact that the USA brokered the ceasefires when Israel trounced Arab armies and forced them to withdraw from territory they had took in order to limit Israeli power and save Arab honour. Ignore the simple fact that the west is the group that keeps palastinians fed and alive, whilst the Arab nations give comparitively nothing.

The only relevent fact is that someone has to pay in blood for the state of the ummah, and that cant be the muslim leaders of those despotic nations who grind their populations under theocratic heels. It has to be the unclean, evil, misguided, satanic, kuffars described as apes and pigs and dogs.

Christianity is the same and holds a powerful sway in the worlds most powerful nation. The leader of which seems to be under the impression that he is on a mission from the creating force of the universe backed by a hardcore of zelotic closed minded bigots.

Our cerebal cortexes have unfortunatly evolved to be too small and out adrenal glands too large for us to sit happily together it would appear.

Hamayun
10-07-2008, 10:07 PM
lol perfect example of selective hearing :rollseyes :enough!: You didn't bother pasting the whole paragraph as I expected...

Al-Baqara: 190 - 193 Picthall

Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors. (190) And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. (191) But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (192) And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrong-doers. (193) The forbidden month for the forbidden month, and forbidden things in retaliation. And one who attacketh you, attack him in like manner as he attacked you. Observe your duty to Allah, and know that Allah is with those who ward off (evil).

Only a fool of the highest degree would read that and think he needs to go out on an infidel killing rampage :rollseyes:blind:

Amadeus85
10-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I am non muslim and I know that Islam doesnt want to kill us, infidels.Most of these terror examples have social/political reasons/background.

north_malaysian
10-08-2008, 01:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by gigb007
then why a muslim should kill non muslims around the world.
we have to do dat...?:blind: do you think that we have nothing else to do? LOL:D

Woodrow
10-08-2008, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
we have to do dat...?:blind: do you think that we have nothing else to do? LOL:D
This is a good closing time.

I sometimes wonder if some people think us reverts get issued firearms after we say the Shahadah, I am very much a pacifist and find Islam to be the most peaceful way of life I have encountered. I am Muslim partially because I hate violence.

Muhammad
11-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Just to add some useful resources:

Islam Does not Tolerate the Killing of Innocents

Islam: A Religion of Peace and Justice

Islam Is Not Another Word for Terrorism

The Biggest Misconception about Islam

Commonly Misquoted Verses and Narrations

Jihad & Warfare

And there's many more...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.