/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Government agrees to £18m mosque

Uthman
07-18-2008, 08:53 PM
The government has given permission for a new £18m mosque and community centre to be built in the West Midlands.

A graphic of the proposed new mosque in Dudley

Dudley council turned down the application to build the mosque on the grounds the land had been designated for employment purposes.

The town's Muslim Association appealed to the government's Planning Inspectorate which has given the go-ahead for the project.

A Muslim Association spokesman said the mosque would bring people together.

Mushtaq Hussain, of the Dudley Muslim Association, said the new mosque would replace the current one at the Castle Hill site.

"The community has grown over the last 20 years and we need a replacement centre," he said.

The council received hundreds of letters from residents opposing the mosque.

A statement issued by the council said: "The planning inspectorate has today allowed the appeal by Dudley Muslim Association over its application for a mosque and community centre in Hall Street, Dudley.

"The decision followed an independent inquiry run by the planning inspectorate."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
07-18-2008, 10:13 PM
:sl:
Impressive green dome...
:w:

Uthman
07-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Why would residents oppose this mosque?

Simply_Logical
07-21-2008, 10:16 AM
thanks for the info,
not too far from me! :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simply_Logical
thanks for the info,
not too far from me! :D
You mean you didn't know about it before? :D

Simply_Logical
07-21-2008, 10:59 AM
no bro, but its like 30 mins away from me,
will have to pay it a visit once its done! :D

Whatsthepoint
07-21-2008, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Is this a rhetorical question?

Uthman
07-21-2008, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Is this a rhetorical question?
No, it isn't. I'm sure there might be genuine reasons e.g. too much traffic or something.

What do you reckon?

qassy!
07-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Alot of people are going to hate me for saying this mostly everone?

If this is £18 million of tax payers money ..... its far 2 much money 4 a mosque..........im sorry

Whatsthepoint
07-21-2008, 12:57 PM
No, it isn't. I'm sure there might be genuine reasons e.g. too much traffic or something.
What do you reckon?
Well, this could be one of the reasons, though I somehow imagine more people complained due to their hate towards Muslims, immigrants etc.

Whatsthepoint
07-21-2008, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
Alot of people are going to hate me for saying this mostly everone?

If this is £18 million of tax payers money ..... its far 2 much money 4 a mosque..........im sorry
Is it tax payers money? Do religious buildings get built by government money in Britain?

qassy!
07-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Is it tax payers money? Do religious buildings get built by government money in Britain?
UK Goverment uses the money to help, if they need a new mosuqe they would make it

Whatsthepoint
07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
UK Goverment uses the money to help, if they need a new mosuqe they would make it
Hmmm, that's wrong in my opinion. I guess this could be another reason why people oppose the mosque.

qassy!
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Hmmm, that's wrong in my opinion. I guess this could be another reason why people oppose the mosque.
Yes the goverment, is a business and yes they want to make much money as possible. But its all politcs somtimes they will help somtimes they wont.

Uthman
07-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Well, this could be one of the reasons, though I somehow imagine more people complained due to their hate towards Muslims, immigrants etc.
That's probably true, but I would really prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Uthman
07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
If this is £18 million of tax payers money ..... its far 2 much money 4 a mosque
I think it all depends on the benefit in relation to the cost. If the Muslim community there gets it right, then the mosque could serve as a real source of benefit for the community. There could be plenty of opportunities to engage with local schools and police etc and just with the Non-Muslims around there generally. A mosque should be so much more than just a prayer hall. I was watching that programme; The seven wonders of the Muslim world yesterday and this guy mentioned that in the past in Muslim countries there was no such thing as town halls or courts or anything like that. It was the mosque that did all this. It was the community centre. Of course, that isn't realistic for this particular community but I hope you get my point.

So I think it could either potentially be a waste, or it could potentially be a really worthwhile investment. I'm hoping it becomes the latter.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.