:
:
:
A closer look of The Masjid under the long term plan

Source:got in mail

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
07-22-2008, 03:13 AM
It seems they already started the construction. There goes the hotel i stayed in!

How reliable is the information regarding future planning drawings? I know the umbrella picture has been circulating the web even before this last hajj. Also, i know the current construction is to add a new section adjacent to the current one (marwa side) as it was reported in the news.

Eeman
07-22-2008, 03:30 AM
you know the really tall building with the golden clock on top like the big ben that really really really freaks me out i dont know why!!!!!
its just so scary the way it overlooks the whole masjid!
spoooooooky!!!!!!!!!!!

BlissfullyJaded
07-22-2008, 04:13 AM
:sl:

^ It's the world's tallest clock tower I think, or one of the tallest. It woulda been better in Jeddah or something, but khair inshaAllah.

I've seen a few different "future" plans for what Makkah will look like, and I duno how reliable they really are, or whether they're just trying to freak us out and make us go Saudi bashing. I know tall towers are a sign of Qiyaamah and had to be fulfilled, no matter how we might hate it. I just have my doubts on the rest. Hmmm...

I think the Safa / Marwa expansion is almost complete, if it's not already complete...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlackMamba
07-22-2008, 04:26 AM
What up with the Saudi Big Ben, its making the Masjid look less significant.

Uthman
07-22-2008, 08:10 AM
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with trying to make the city look nice. However, whatever they construct should not draw attention away from the main focus of the city - The Masjid Al-Haraam.

north_malaysian
07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
that clocktower really looks like freaking Big Ben... i just dont like it...:uuh:

Souljette
07-22-2008, 01:10 PM

The clock tower doesn't look right

:w:

Soulja Girl
07-22-2008, 01:38 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman
you know the really tall building with the golden clock on top like the big ben that really really really freaks me out i dont know why!!!!!
its just so scary the way it overlooks the whole masjid!
spoooooooky!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeh it does look scary and out of place... :-\

Simply_Logical
07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
What up with the Saudi Big Ben, its making the Masjid look less significant.
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
that clocktower really looks like freaking Big Ben... i just dont like it...:uuh:
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette

The clock tower doesn't look right

format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

Yeh it does look scary and out of place... :-\

i totally agree with you all,
i mean if i wanted to see big ben,
id go to london,
personally i think its going way over the top! imsad
i mean whats next? :'(

Chuck
07-22-2008, 05:53 PM
It is reported that Abd Allah ibn Omar (ra) said that his father Omar (ra) said: One day, while we were with the Prophet (pbuh) a man, with shining white clothes and jet black hair, appeared before us. We could see no indications of a journey on him and neither did anyone among us know him [to be a resident of Medinah]. [He kept advancing towards us] till he sat himself in front of the Prophet (pbuh). [So close was he to the Prophet (pbuh) that] his knees touched the Prophet's knees; he placed his hands on his [own] legs. He asked: 'Muhammad, inform me about Islam'. The Prophet (pbuh) replied: 'Islam is that you bear witness that there is no god, except the One God and that Muhammad is the messenger of God; that you establish Sala'h; that you pay Zaka'h; that you fast during [the month of] Ramadan; and that you undertake the Hajj of the Bayet Allah, if you are in a position to do so'3. He said: 'You are right'. Omar said: 'We were surprised at him. He asked the Prophet a question and then himself verified the Prophet's answer'.

Then he said: 'Inform me about Iman'. The Prophet (pbuh) said: 'Iman is that you believe in God, His angels, His books, His prophets; the Final Day2 and that you believe that the desirable and the undesirable events [in life] are all from God'3. He said: 'You are right'.

Then he said: 'Inform me about Ihsan'. The Prophet replied: 'Ihsan is that you serve God as if He was right in front of your eyes; for even if you cannot see Him, He definitely sees you'4.

Then he said: 'Inform me about the Hour [when shall it happen?]' The Prophet (pbuh) replied: 'The person who is being asked is no more aware of it than the inquirer'.

Then he said: 'Tell me about its signs'. The Prophet (pbuh) replied: 'That the slave girl will give birth to the free woman; that you shall see these bare footed, naked, and poor shepherds [of Arabia] competing with each other in making high buildings'

Omar continued: Then he went away and I kept sitting there for quite some time. Then the Prophet (pbuh) said to me: 'Omar, do you know who this inquirer was?' I said: 'God and His messenger know best'. He said: 'It was Gabriel. He came to you to teach you [some important aspects of] your religion'.

Related by Muslim

Simply_Logical
07-22-2008, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
It is reported that Abd Allah ibn Omar (ra) said that his father Omar (ra) said: One day, while we were with the Prophet (pbuh) a man, with shining white clothes and jet black hair, appeared before us. We could see no indications of a journey on him and neither did anyone among us know him [to be a resident of Medinah]. [He kept advancing towards us] till he sat himself in front of the Prophet (pbuh). [So close was he to the Prophet (pbuh) that] his knees touched the Prophet's knees; he placed his hands on his [own] legs. He asked: 'Muhammad, inform me about Islam'. The Prophet (pbuh) replied: 'Islam is that you bear witness that there is no god, except the One God and that Muhammad is the messenger of God; that you establish Sala'h; that you pay Zaka'h; that you fast during [the month of] Ramadan; and that you undertake the Hajj of the Bayet Allah, if you are in a position to do so'3. He said: 'You are right'. Omar said: 'We were surprised at him. He asked the Prophet a question and then himself verified the Prophet's answer'.

Then he said: 'Inform me about Iman'. The Prophet (pbuh) said: 'Iman is that you believe in God, His angels, His books, His prophets; the Final Day2 and that you believe that the desirable and the undesirable events [in life] are all from God'3. He said: 'You are right'.

Then he said: 'Inform me about Ihsan'. The Prophet replied: 'Ihsan is that you serve God as if He was right in front of your eyes; for even if you cannot see Him, He definitely sees you'4.

Then he said: 'Inform me about the Hour [when shall it happen?]' The Prophet (pbuh) replied: 'The person who is being asked is no more aware of it than the inquirer'.

Then he said: 'Tell me about its signs'. The Prophet (pbuh) replied: 'That the slave girl will give birth to the free woman; that you shall see these bare footed, naked, and poor shepherds [of Arabia] competing with each other in making high buildings'

Omar continued: Then he went away and I kept sitting there for quite some time. Then the Prophet (pbuh) said to me: 'Omar, do you know who this inquirer was?' I said: 'God and His messenger know best'. He said: 'It was Gabriel. He came to you to teach you [some important aspects of] your religion'.

Related by Muslim
that is what i was thinking, when i saw the big ben picture! :uuh:

Na7lah
07-22-2008, 06:04 PM

eh the masjid looks better without it in my opinion

Whatsthepoint
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM

This one looks very nice, thought it could do without the clock.
I can understand Muslims fear a skyline like that could draw attention away from the mosque.
Umbrellas...:muddlehea It's probably a hoax.

Chuck
07-22-2008, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simply_Logical
that is what i was thinking, when i saw the big ben picture! :uuh:
That is nothing, take a look at what his happening in rest of Saudia, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait.
Read this: http://dubai-tower.blogspot.com/2008...ld-worlds.html

The_Prince
07-22-2008, 07:38 PM
i actually think it looks nice, only part of the mosque will be overshadowed by the building, but on the other 3 sides its all good, i wanna stay in that tall building.

The_Prince
07-22-2008, 07:43 PM
fact is this also, we do have to modernize makkah, not because of being 'backward' or being 'western' but theres alot of pilgrims, 2 million and it will go higher, so you need better and bigger more modern safer buildings to be able to accomdate the people etc.

like if you look at some of these pictures, you can see some of the old buildings and old roads about to be broken down, and all i can think of is well its about time, you should have done this 10 years ago.

BlissfullyJaded
07-22-2008, 08:04 PM

^ 76 floors, 1,983 ft...

Of course, there is a need for safe and new buildings, and they can easily build new hotels that don't attempt in dwarfing out the Haram. There is Hilton, Dar at Tawheed, Sheraton, and many others which have accommodated the hujjaj. Sorry to say, but Abraj al Bait isn't going to be having regular hujjaj... It's gonna be the home to dignitaries, princes, and the very rich who come to Makkah, cuz those are the only people will be able to afford it.

Fishman
07-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Can't the new buildings be built in the desert outside the city? Makkah's historic character should be preserved.

And the clock tower and umbrellas look a bit silly...

mediadave
07-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Looks like they plan to demolish and rebuild the entire city apart from the Grand Mosque. Is there no historic areas of Mecca surviving? I remember there was a big argument when the Saudi's demolished an Ottoman castle. If there is any historic areas left it'd be a great shame to lose them, I'm all for contemporary architecture but it can go alongside rather than on top of Historic buildings (Which in many cases are better built then new buildings in any case)

Fishman
07-22-2008, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mediadave
Looks like they plan to demolish and rebuild the entire city apart from the Grand Mosque. Is there no historic areas of Mecca surviving? I remember there was a big argument when the Saudi's demolished an Ottoman castle. If there is any historic areas left it'd be a great shame to lose them, I'm all for contemporary architecture but it can go alongside rather than on top of Historic buildings (Which in many cases are better built then new buildings in any case)
Its too late to complain now, the Saudis have levelled all the old buildings. I suppose that it is necessary to make some special concessions, as Makkah gets a huge amount of traffic compared to many normal cities, but destroying the whole place is just silly. They could have built on the land outside the city instead, and left a historic core area around the Mosque.

truemuslim
07-22-2008, 10:38 PM
ooooh the big ben killed it!! Now its all americanish! BOOOO

take out the clock then it wud be purtayyy!

Fishman
07-22-2008, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
ooooh the big ben killed it!! Now its all americanish! BOOOO

take out the clock then it wud be purtayyy!
Uh, the Big Ben tower is in England, not America...

truemuslim
07-22-2008, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Uh, the Big Ben tower is in England, not America...

lool i kno, i mean olden american ish days, ya kno with them stupit pilgrim peoplez
buh yah thats even worse, england...

godddd somebody better not build that thing!!! i may never go to hajj then :thumbs_do

Fishman
07-22-2008, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
lool i kno, i mean olden american ish days, ya kno with them stupit pilgrim peoplez
buh yah thats even worse, england...

godddd somebody better not build that thing!!! i may never go to hajj then :thumbs_do
What is 'them stupit pilgrim peoplez'?

truemuslim
07-22-2008, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
What is 'them stupit pilgrim peoplez'?
sum loser people that loser teachers talk about in class while i am not paying attention / ask someone who kno/cares about what teachers say :p :D

BlissfullyJaded
07-22-2008, 11:21 PM

Pilgrims? The English people who arrived in America first way back whenever. What does that have to do with this tho? lol...

It's already being built and near completion. I wouldn't avoid goin for Umrah or Hajj over somethin like that. I would just avoid stepping into such a building.

I don't see the problem with the umbrellas though. Umbrellas never used to be in the center courtyard of Masjid al Nabawi, and they're nice there...and I think they would be nice in Masjid al Haram too. It is needed in the intense heat, and would be folded up at night.

truemuslim
07-22-2008, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

Pilgrims? The English people who arrived in America first way back whenever. What does that have to do with this tho? lol...

It's already being built and near completion. I wouldn't avoid goin for Umrah or Hajj over somethin like that. I would just avoid stepping into such a building.

I don't see the problem with the umbrellas though. Umbrellas never used to be in the center courtyard of Masjid al Nabawi, and they're nice there...and I think they would be nice in Masjid al Haram too. It is needed in the intense heat, and would be folded up at night.
\

wooow you listen in school? so cool. can i have an interview with you? it will be "the story of the COOL sis who listen to people at the time she supposed to lisen to music!" mashallah! (kidding of course :p)

Noooooooooooo!!! WHY WHY WHY!! Are the uk people taking over makkah!!! goddd!!! :thumbs_do:thumbs_do:cry::cry:
ok. i guess there will be a certain spot i cannot look at when i go to hajj (If i go to hajj...INSHALLAH)
Yeh i agree wit the umbrella thing, the people there are like boilin hot ! The umbrella will make it easier for them inshallah! :D

Fishman
07-22-2008, 11:32 PM

They look really silly though, like giant cocktail umbrellas! They could have had a big canvas dome like the Millenium Dome, if anything at all. They don't fit with the architecture at all.

As for the necessity of all these things, I'm going to make a thread about it?

BlackMamba
07-22-2008, 11:56 PM

I stayed in Zam Zam Grand Suites for umrah last month, the lower level of the Zam Zam Suites is Abraj Al-Bait shopping center. I really didnt like the fact that the Zam Zam hotel is so high and it makes the haram look smaller. If I knew this before hand I would never stay there. Hotels like the Hilton have a much better design, because it doesnt dwarf the haram.

But now I see that Zam Zam is actually SMALL compared to all the new buildings they are building. This is NOT good at all. If you actually go to Makkah and see how big and grand the Zam Zam Suites looks infront of the Mosque you'll be horrified. And now the Zam Zam will look small infront of the new towers like the Saudi Big Ben.So I cant even imagine how big the new buildings will look in front of the Masjid al-Haram. What are they trying to do?? I have no problem with making more living areas for the pilgrims and making the city look nice and modern, but theres a way to do it. They should make the city clean, and technologically up to date; but make it simple also. Dont make 2000 foot skyscraper right infront of the Masjid.I want to know what these people are thinking.

truemuslim
07-23-2008, 12:03 AM
^ yes, they should make the actual kaaba bigger, well not the kaaba but the whole area the people stand and pray in, you see how squeezed in they get, how hot it is, all that, and they only caring about the money they gonna get from the hotels.

BlissfullyJaded
07-23-2008, 12:17 AM

^ They are also expanding the Haram itself..

How much does it cost to stay in the ZamZam Towers..?

north_malaysian
07-23-2008, 04:07 AM
I'm not against building tall buildings surrounding the Masjidil Haraam as those building can accomodate more pilgrims and they can be closer to the mosque...easy for the old pilgrims to go to the mosque.

But the big Ben... it's a totally "No! No!"

Imagine if a pilgrim came back from Hajj and says "Hey kids, I bought you Saudi Big Ben replicas...from Mecca"... and these are the pics of Saudi Big Ben...

everything is all about the freaking big ben!

And I dont like thos umbrellas too.... dont hide the Ka'abah from the sky! Pilgrims worldwide are willingly to feel the heat from the sun as long as they can be there..

fantaxxy_moon
07-23-2008, 04:19 AM
that tall buliding makes the place unfamiliar .. the one with the big clock .. it makes me feel that it's britain or france .. it's shocking !!

fantaxxy_moon
07-23-2008, 04:20 AM
yeah the big pen is freaky

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.