/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Surah 9:29

wth1257
07-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Hello

I haven't been around much but I'm still very interested in Islam. I am concerned about that verse. I have heard that the "fighting" need not be physical. Is that the only explination?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
:sl:
I'll have an answer up for this fairly soon.

wth1257
07-20-2008, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I'll have an answer up for this fairly soon.
Thank you:)

------
07-20-2008, 05:29 PM
:salamext:

An explanation can be found here

http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=9&tid=20980

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
07-20-2008, 08:48 PM
My arabic isn't that good, but from what I know Qital means fighting. Surah 9 verse 29 begins with the word Qutilal. The translation reads: fight those. In which case, in verse 29 fighting relates to physical fighting.

However the importance lies in who this is aimed at and what the relevance of this ayat is. Now one of the scholar's notes states that the reason to fight is to put an end to the suzeranity of the unbelievers. Basically, what this ayat is trying to say is: you have two options: a system based on ignorance and a system based on the divine law. In this particular occasion, a muslim should fight for the system on divine law (aka Islamic law). However, the context relates to the time of the pagans (as shown in the tafsir link serene has provided). In other words, that ayat is for a specific time and place.

wth1257
07-21-2008, 01:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
My arabic isn't that good, but from what I know Qital means fighting. Surah 9 verse 29 begins with the word Qutilal. The translation reads: fight those. In which case, in verse 29 fighting relates to physical fighting.

However the importance lies in who this is aimed at and what the relevance of this ayat is. Now one of the scholar's notes states that the reason to fight is to put an end to the suzeranity of the unbelievers. Basically, what this ayat is trying to say is: you have two options: a system based on ignorance and a system based on the divine law. In this particular occasion, a muslim should fight for the system on divine law (aka Islamic law). However, the context relates to the time of the pagans (as shown in the tafsir link serene has provided). In other words, that ayat is for a specific time and place.

So it is only in refrence to fighting the Roman Empire?

BlackMamba
07-21-2008, 04:52 AM
This verse deals with the Jihad and it is only permitted to fight those who fight you. The verse below shows that you should fight when it is time to fight. BUT do not transgress the limits. wa laa ta'tadoo.
Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors. (2:190)

aamirsaab
07-21-2008, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
Pretty much. It's not for every muslim to carry out - only to those it was revealed to initially. What we can take from the ayat is the principle; divine law is better that the other laws. But that's really as far as that ayat is relevant to the muslims of today (in terms of what we have to take from it) - the rest is important but not relevant to what muslims are to follow.

Alternatively, just use the tafsir link.

Uthman
07-21-2008, 08:32 AM
A detailed answer can be found here.

Fishman
07-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Uh, the Prophet (peace be upon him) didn't fight Rome much, if at all...
:w:

Keltoi
07-22-2008, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

From my knowledge I can't think of any Muslim country that was in military conflict with any part of the shattered Roman Empire except for the Turks and Byzantines. Which is what we are talking about here, not the true Roman Empire.

Fishman
07-22-2008, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
From my knowledge I can't think of any Muslim country that was in military conflict with any part of the shattered Roman Empire except for the Turks and Byzantines. Which is what we are talking about here, not the true Roman Empire.
The word 'Byzantine' is a modern invention, they never called themselves that, they were known as Romans to the people of the time. When Islamic sources talk about Romans, the usually mean Byzantines, rather than the western Empire, which was defunct long before Islam.

wth1257
07-24-2008, 03:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

then what is Surah 9:29 talking about?

Is it a universal imperative to fight non-Muslims untill they pay the tax?

BlackMamba
07-24-2008, 03:46 AM
When Ameer ul Mu'mineen declares a Jihad, then it is permissible to fight. You should fight those who fight you. But if they seize then you should seize fighting as well. If they ask for terms we should accept.
"Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors." (2:190)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.