/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim concern at stop and search

Uthman
07-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Muslims in Scotland have expressed unease about the use of "stop and search" procedures at Glasgow Airport.

The Scottish-Islamic Foundation said some members were concerned about the type of interviews they faced.

The issue will be discussed on Tuesday night during a question and answer event at a Glasgow mosque.

It will feature a panel including Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill and representatives from Strathclyde Police and the force's Muslim Association.

Allan Burnett, head of counter-terrorism for the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland will also be there as well as Alan Miller, from the Scottish Human Rights Commission and Bashir Maan, president of Glasgow Central Mosque.

Two years ago Mr Maan said some Muslim business travellers were boycotting the airport over heavy-handed and humiliating searches.

Security has now been overhauled since the failed car bomb attack on the terminal building in June 2007.

It is a positive first step in ensuring that the Muslim community's feelings are taken into consideration especially in regards to counter-terrorism strategy

Humza Yousaf
Scottish-Islamic Foundation

Humza Yousaf, public affairs director of the Scottish-Islamic Foundation, said he hoped the meeting on Tuesday would improve understanding between communities. "Having been stopped myself three times I know the feelings that run through a person's head when they go through a stop and search," he said.

"I am delighted we have such a senior panel joining us to specifically hear about the Muslim feelings on this issue that has affected many in our community.

"It is a positive first step in ensuring that the Muslim community's feelings are taken into consideration especially in regards to counter-terrorism strategy."

Amar Shakoor, chairman of the Scottish Muslim Police Association, said: "Events like question the police aim to increase dialogue between police and the Muslim community.

"The more we encourage this, the even better relationship I can see the force having with Scotland's largest faith community."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
07-29-2008, 08:08 AM
:bump:

IbnAbdulHakim
07-29-2008, 10:40 AM
mashaAllaah, ive never really been stopped and searched.

i've been questioned three times though...

funny thing is i was the one going abroad, but my brothers who picked me up/dropped me off got stopped and searched lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.