/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How?

aminahjaan
07-24-2008, 12:34 AM
:sl:

How do I explain what a hijab is to non-Muslims without making them go huh? Or think I'm half crazy?

Tomorrow I'm going to watch the dark knight (yes!) with my non-muslim friend. And she even asked me on the phone
SO why do you wear that thing?
I told her the Islamic answer....For modesty and to keep away from commiting sin. Right?
So she was obviously thinking "What the heck is this chick talkin about?"
"Modesty who wants to be modest, your hair is so pretty out and this and that"
I didn't know what to say..

And I still don't!
:playing:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tania
07-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Tell her you are comfortable wearing it.Don't give her religious explanations.

SixTen
07-24-2008, 11:31 PM
How about, to not show off/attract males etc as thats what your religion requires (just incase they say, why not show off).

Mikayeel
07-24-2008, 11:37 PM
:) :sl: :)

I am really happy to see you willing to gain knowledge on islamic rules :D

Well I am not a scholar, Nd i dnt even look like one :p. But firstly it is there to protect ur modesty, like SixTen said so males r not attracted towards u. It protects from fitnah therfore teenage pregnancy nd sexuall transmitted diseases are declined.

Ask your self, if a males sees two girls walking on the street ones wearing an islamic hijaab the other one is wearing lets say ur american mini skirt nd all that stuff. Which one is he more likely to give a hard time, to tease... maybe even rape! So a scarf calls for respect!! Finally it is also a sign, so muslim people can recognize one another :)

:) :w: :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlissfullyJaded
07-24-2008, 11:45 PM

The rape reason is not always true, and it can come of as insensitive to rape victims. Muslimahs who cover properly have been the victims of rape, even in so called Muslim countries. (Am not pickin on you bro, and that was a great post.)

But yeah, wearing hijaab does minimize guys teasing you and winking, and they do tend shy away.

aminahjaan
07-25-2008, 04:13 AM
I combined the advice together I told her it was for modesty, it was to not attract men closer to me, and it was like a back off kinda thing to men. and she totally understood it, her mom thought the scarf and concept of modesty was beautiful. SO I guess that was a plus
Sis Jawarah, you're right I used to get disrespected and it got annoying. That was the reason I started. I didn't feel comfortable and now I do. Even if someone does wink or something at me, its usually just for fun, they know they can't get any play.
and By they way THE DARK KNIGHT WAS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN.
Joker all the wayy man.

Thanks for all the advice

coddles76
07-25-2008, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aminahgorilla

How do I explain what a hijab is to non-Muslims without making them go huh? Or think I'm half crazy?

Tomorrow I'm going to watch the dark knight (yes!) with my non-muslim friend. And she even asked me on the phone
SO why do you wear that thing?
I told her the Islamic answer....For modesty and to keep away from commiting sin. Right?
So she was obviously thinking "What the heck is this chick talkin about?"
"Modesty who wants to be modest, your hair is so pretty out and this and that"
I didn't know what to say..

And I still don't!
:playing:
Asalam Alykum Sister
Firstly I hope Allah SWT will reward you for your modesty and faith inshAllah
Secondly here is something I have read and hope to share with you......

"Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads?" This question is one which is asked by Muslim and non-Muslim alike. For many women it is the truest test of being a Muslim.

The answer to the question is very simple - Muslim women observe HIJAB (covering the head and the body) because Allah has told them to do so.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)

Other secondary reasons include the requirement for modesty in both men and women. Both will then be evaluated for intelligence and skills instead of looks and sexuality.
An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks." A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.

The word "hijab" comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or conceal. In the present time, the context of hijab is the modest covering of a Muslim woman. The question now is what is the extent of the covering? The Qur'an says:

"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..." (Qur'an 24:30-31)

So this is also applicable to Men

I hope this helps Sister.

Wa salam

aminahjaan
07-25-2008, 04:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by coddles76
Asalam Alykum Sister
Firstly I hope Allah SWT will reward you for your modesty and faith inshAllah
Secondly here is something I have read and hope to share with you......

"Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads?" This question is one which is asked by Muslim and non-Muslim alike. For many women it is the truest test of being a Muslim.

The answer to the question is very simple - Muslim women observe HIJAB (covering the head and the body) because Allah has told them to do so.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)

Other secondary reasons include the requirement for modesty in both men and women. Both will then be evaluated for intelligence and skills instead of looks and sexuality.
An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks." A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.

The word "hijab" comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or conceal. In the present time, the context of hijab is the modest covering of a Muslim woman. The question now is what is the extent of the covering? The Qur'an says:

"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..." (Qur'an 24:30-31)

So this is also applicable to Men

I hope this helps Sister.

Wa salam

Thank you sister, this was a very helpful post. I might use what the Iranian sister used as an explanation for future references.
:)

coddles76
07-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Thank you sister, this was a very helpful post. I might use what the Iranian sister used as an explanation for future references.
My Pleasure, I hope it helps.
I hope you didn't mind that the advice came from a Brother ;)

aminahjaan
07-25-2008, 04:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by coddles76
My Pleasure, I hope it helps.
I hope you didn't mind that the advice came from a Brother ;)
Oh my gosh I feel like an idiot haha
sorry! BRO

:-[

PeaceSeeker
07-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Is The Dark Knight a Islamic Movie?

coddles76
07-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Oh my gosh I feel like an idiot haha
sorry! BRO

:-[
lol thats ok sister, I'm actually glad you put a smile on my face and May Allah swt never wipe away your smile.

Wa Salam

coddles76
07-25-2008, 04:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Laila100
No Sister, Its a sequeal of Batman??(I think)

aminahjaan
07-25-2008, 04:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Laila100
No it's not
it just has psychotic killing schemse and joker...and batman.
I love it :)

Nawal89
07-25-2008, 05:18 AM
When people ask me that I just usually say it's part of my religion and God commanded me as a muslimah to do it.

There's usually no more questions after that.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
When people ask me that I just usually say it's part of my religion and God commanded me as a muslimah to do it.

There's usually no more questions after that.
you dont think it necessary to make people realise ALlahs hikmah behind it?

they might think "blind following old fool" seriously they might

but if you tell them that Allah knows his creation, and for women to be most well guarded and beautiful Allah commanded them to protect their chastity by veiling so as to protect them from the perverted jeers of men and protect the jelousy of their husbands/fathers/brothers (YES I THINK THIS PLAYS A HUGE PART OF IT!!!... gheera that is)

if u just say "BECAUSE GOD SAYS SO !!!" they'll jus think "crazy old wack"

right?

allahu a'lam

Da Pwr f Truth!
07-25-2008, 11:00 AM
From what i've read, isn't 'Satar' and 'Hijab' 2 diff. things?
I mean 'Satar' is like what u have to cover in front of ure Mahrams, n it consists of covering ure whole body except ure face, hands n feet.
n 'Hijab' is something which uve to cover in front of the Non-Mahrams, n ppl it consists of ure whole body (including ure face).

As for answering to the qustion,
i usually say, dat Allah (swt) values Muslim woman so much dat He considers dem, as precious Pearls.
Den i ask dem, " If any1 has some Pearls how wud he keep dem? ". Da Obvious answer comes.
So i tell dem Any1 in their right minds wud'nt keep their Pearls on display or keep dem outside for ever1 to see, lest they will be stolen, etc...
So we r protected by dis 'coverin' called da HIJAB.
For some emotional ones, i go on n make dem visualize bout a scene...
U are protected i.e. uve done Hijab, all ure life... ok... NO1 has ever seen u...ok...
n u get married to dis person.... Imagine....his feelings... wat wud he feel bout dis grl...
wont he feel increased respect for this grl... dat this beautiful Pearl is mine.. n no one has ever seen her.....

r u ppl followin me? did i go over da top?:exhausted

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!