/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Working

Nazia_hk
07-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Well, I just signed a contract today. I'll be working as a kindergarten teaching assistant. The thing is I don't feel good about this and just want to end this contract somehow, the contract that I have signed this morning.

I fear Allah, I fear that by doing a job I may be sinning somehow. The place for women is at home. Why did all this not occur to me earlier...

Well just wanted to know what you all here think about working for women.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Lonely Gal
07-25-2008, 09:28 AM
how will you be sinning???

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

wow... its so rare for a sister to say that these days :|

my own sister quit her job as a biochemist lab technician for just the same reasons - the possible interactions of idle banter with the opposite gender etc etc -

whilst im not a scholar, i do say sincerely that if you feel it is better for your islaam and your emaan to not work, then give up working, but if you feel you can struggle and maintain the same level... then may Allaah strengthen you

may Allaah guide you towards whats best.

Eeman
07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nazia_hk
Well, I just signed a contract today. I'll be working as a kindergarten teaching assistant. The thing is I don't feel good about this and just want to end this contract somehow, the contract that I have signed this morning.

I fear Allah, I fear that by doing a job I may be sinning somehow. The place for women is at home. Why did all this not occur to me earlier...

salam alaikum,

sister women in islam are not house maids and baby making machines, i'd understand if your husband was earning well enough so that the family would not need to struggle but if that is not the case then as a good wife or even a duaghter if you are not married it is a good thing for you to work and contiribute towards the financial side of things takes the stress and pressure away from the main person in the household, women are not created to be burdens upon anyone, if you can provide something and Alla swt has made it possible for you through halal ways then why not?

now why would you be sining working as a kindergarten assistant?????
i'd understand if God forbid you decided to become a stripper or worked as a dancer in a club but sister yourjob is a halal way of Allah swt providing for you Masha'Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Brother_Mujahid
07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
The prophets first wife Khadija she was a successful merchant. need i say more.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
^ pre-islam or after-islam? :p

i dont think thats enough akhee, all due respect

ive seen how sisters get treated in the workplace

there are hijaabi sisters at the helpdesk here, sometimes i jus go out to prayer hut n i pass that way... if they chattin to a guy or anything as soon as they see me they get all embarassed n stop talking

my sisters a niqaabi, as a niqaabi working is extremely difficult

also did khadija radhiallahu anha's merchant job continue after islaam, did she ever wear niqab or did Allah cause her to pass away before that hukum?

theres so much to consider here

sister nazia, you can either do what your heart feels best (in terms of islam) or consult a scholar

i hope you arrive at the correct decision

i ask forgiveness for anything i may have said wrong

Brother_Mujahid
07-25-2008, 01:42 PM
So whats your point, sisters shouldn't be allowed to work?!?

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2008, 01:45 PM
^ i think they should choose wether or not to work after carefully weighing out their position at work and making sure it wont conflict with their islaam at all

thats it :)

and in the west, the majority of the jobs conflict

i was considering quitting my job too becoz they placed me in a department where there were a lot of women. But after discussing issues wiv the head of this place they moved me back to the department which has nooo females.

so i can work easy

still would be nice to hav an all muslim work environment :p

Al-Zaara
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Selam aleykum,

It's not a sin to work. You choose what you do, you don't have to idle chat with some strange men, it's your choice to make.

Let me tell you this, a woman (or man), can sin even though sitting at home. There's the Internet for example, or the phone. The woman can have an relationship with someone through the Internet, through that meet them outdoors etc etc and because of this, are women now meant to not touch the computer, not go outside, not call friends etc? Of course not. It's up to your character, moral standards and commitment to Islam.

Think of your economy. If you see need for money, work.
After all, it's an Kindergarten. If some male father asks about their child, you respond proffessionally and that's about it. Why not try it for a while, see how you feel about it? It's not a sin to work, it's what you work with and how.

You take care of children, our future. As a Muslimah you could have an impact on the children shomehow, wouldn't you want that? Non Muslim children see you and can feel secure with other Muslims in the future, knowing having interacted with a Muslim before.

Either way I'd say give it a chance. but if you really feel bad about it, then you gotta end the contract somehow. InshaAllah you'll feel better soon.

Innocent Soul
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
walaikumassalam
i got a link maybe u will find your answer
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/27304

Brother_Mujahid
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM
nicely put, just wanted to hear what you had to say on the topic at hand :D

It would be great if it is an islamic environment that you work in. But in most work places there will always be interactions between the different genders.

Wasalam

Khalisah
07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
:sl:
Slightly off topic, I hope that no one minds? I was just wondering...a brother mentioned his sister was a niqaabi and worked as a lab technician?...what was it like working in that field with niqaa? I'm sorry for going off topic.
Also like previously mentioed if you can work without it compromising your deen then Alhamdulillah but if you feel that it may then perhaps there is cause to re-think about whether to continue with a career, but if you need to work due to financial reason then inshaAllah I hope it works for you.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2008, 02:32 PM
^ she became a niqaabi after she quit

she didnt feel strong enough to be one whilst working

Khalisah
07-25-2008, 02:35 PM
oh...ok

Eeman
07-25-2008, 04:08 PM
oh gosh sometimes some people just make me wanna yank my hair out why are you making life and religion so difficult?????????
if that is the case then every sister and brother should have like a segregation between then brothers living in one part sisters in the other part...

there are male and females here right or wrong who are interacting, but the importance is the intention in the heart!!!!
if the sister or brother is ill hearted and weak imaaned then they will do somehing wrong but if they strive hard and protect themselves from such things as they SHOULD BE DOING as practising muslims then there is no sin or harm in that.

its lik im walkng down the street and a male driver stops and asks me a question regards direction... do i run away thinking Ya Allah forgive me but i have to avoid this man and not answer him out of fear that it will cause fitnah???
no i stop and say you go here and there, i help the fellow brother be he muslim christian or jew and i count that as a good deed and pray that by me helping someone in need Insha'Allah Allah swt will help me no where in that wholespectrum d i think oh no i just spoke to a non mahram man!!! i've sinned NO cos my intentions were nothing like that!!!!!!

and as regards work or anything else, firstly when muslim sisters go to work there is no harm in in them interacting with their colleagues in my opinion be it male or female regards things to do with work. but as a practising muslim sister, they need to understand the limits set by Allah and not transgress those limits. so work is work interacting in work is regards work only and not flirting and doing things that are wrong!!!
then in that is a sin.

women are not SECOND class citizens!!!!!
they are as equal as men!!! ok there is a reason why Allah swt created men and women very diffferently but in rights they are equal!!! islam is about equality!!!!!!

so if a muslim sister cant go out to work cos if they do then they will sin then same thing applies to the brother too and i am pretty sure that everyone here is aware and it has been made very clear in the Quran that when it comes to men they are disgutng (no offence) weak creatures when it comes to women, ever wondered why in the quran Allah swt addresses the men first to lower their gaze and then women???????
but somehow everything just ends up being dumped on women and im really soryy brothers and sistrs no offence to anyone just my frustration please forgive me but it really frustrates me when i hear stuff like that!!!!

then you wonder why many other non muslims regard islam as a sexist religion that oppresses the women.

im really sorry i know this may be totally out of context and may Allah forgive me if i am wrong but sometimes i strongly believe that men are the main problems that we face today, all the bloodshed, poverty, fatigue and evil. cos they are the ones that strive for power, capital and status whereas the way that women have naturally been created everything is mainly with feelings emotions love and mercy!

i know it doesnt include everyone there are some women that are like men and vice versa but im talkig about the majority!!!

men frustrate me ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
sorry brothers yet again nothing personal to you guys i do apologise again.

Brother_Mujahid
07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
haha the battle of the sexes, okay maybe not

format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman
i strongly believe that men are the main problems that we face today, all the bloodshed, poverty, fatigue and evil.
our problems and what we are facing is part of Allahs greater plan and decree

cos they are the ones that strive for power, capital and status whereas the way that women have naturally been created everything is mainly with feelings emotions love and mercy!
That doesn't make them better leaders. theres a bit more on this if you need more info ill go search for it. it does exist believe me.

men frustrate me ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
i sense your frustration, try punching your pillow like mad.
sorry brothers yet again nothing personal to you guys i do apologise again.
no need to appologise you raised some valid and genuine points which maybe weren't reflected in the previous posts.

Wasalam :coolalien

Eeman
07-25-2008, 04:32 PM
yes brother i know and understand what you mean about the part for God's greater plan and decree no doubt...
but ummm who did Allah swt choose as the tools in order to work towards that bigger plan of His was it women or men?

yeh i know women do not make better leaders cos when we pms we become too emtional and an absolute wreck and dont think straight cos our hormones go do lally...

but my main point is that men some brothers need to stop making out that women were created to cook you food and feed your hungry stomach and then bed you at night and give you children!!!!!

cos Wallah you will be surprised at how many msulim brothers unfortunately have this way of thinking!!!!
ask their poor wives lol!

Brother_Mujahid
07-25-2008, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman

but my main point is that men some brothers need to stop making out that women were created to cook you food and feed your hungry stomach and then bed you at night and give you children!!!!!

cos Wallah you will be surprised at how many msulim brothers unfortunately have this way of thinking!!!!
ask their poor wives lol!
its usually a cultural point of view, rather backward thinking. We need to move forward.

Eeman
07-25-2008, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brother_Mujahid
its usually a cultural point of view, rather backward thinking. We need to move forward.
of course it is, but the sad thing is that they dont acknowledge the fact that it is a cultural thinking but associate it with islam and therefore it applies to the brothers that have been brought up here too, you'd be expecting it from the ones back home but LA you dont even need to go back home, cos they are everywhere.

Nazia_hk
07-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Oh god! Guess I have started a serious debate here. But jazak'allah for all the replies, I really do appreciate them, may Allah reward you all immensly. I'm in a rush. Insha'allah I'll be replying to this thread later.

niler
07-26-2008, 08:32 AM
assalamu aleykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu..

its been a very interesting debate. I've been haviing such conversations with my bro n i think people have to base their answers on what the S******yat did during their life coz their way of life was basically wat Islam is. Islam is areligion of the past, present and the future... we have to learn from the life of the prophets companions (May Allah Have Mecy on them) to find solutions to our problems.

niler
07-26-2008, 08:35 AM
oh oh, sory that was supposed to be S******yat, i.e the female companions of the prophet. Sahabas/ssahabiyat are those who saw the prophet n believed in his message.

niler
07-26-2008, 08:37 AM
okay, i dont know why the word appears in asterik!!!

youngsister
07-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Sister no offence but shouldnt you have though about this before signing the contract?

As a kindergarten teaching assistant i really dont see how bad it is if you work, you be mainly working with women and children.

We all know ourself and Allah swt knows everything is down to intentions, if you fear your iman will decrease then Subxanallah dont work, I mean you know yourself best.

Its up to the woman, some women work because they need to provide for their parents(after all they are the ones that raised us), others do because the husband is not earning enough and some do because they love their job :)

It puts a smile on my face when i see practising sisters who are doctors, nurses, solicitors, teachers and so on..Masha Allah .

Like I said earlier you know yourself best and May Allah swt make everything easy for u.:)

Nazia_hk
07-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Jazak'Allah for all the resposes.

Youngsister you are right, that's what my family's been saying, I've been going for interviews and now that I've landed a job, I'm already thingking of quitting.

The thing is being educated, I want to do something, and not being much in touch with old friends, I really thought this would help me meet new people. I happily look for jobs but as soon as I see an opportunity I start having all these thoughts of the possibility that it may conflict with my deen.

Anyway thanks for all the responces, I've learnt a lil something from all of you. Now I just pray that Allah guide me to what's right, ameen.

Ayesha Rana
07-27-2008, 02:05 PM
i love children and i wouldn't mind working as a babysitter or something simillar. In fact i wouldn't mind any job IF the working environment was totally 100% halal (pretty hard here in the UK) and IF the people around me respected my dress code and IF i didn't have to interact with men because at the end of the day prevention is better than cure and i'd rather not face fitnah cos shaitan is there with his stupid ideas and i'd rather sit at home doing my duty towards family with the guy out working than taking on his responsibility lol and just getting stressed out hehe.

but yeah if it's neccessary and you need the money and stuff then i don't see what's so bad, as long as you're careful about how u dress and behave...like a lecturer once said, if women were not allowed to become doctors and stuff because it's supposedly 'haram' then ho's gonna see to a mans wife when she falls ill or is due to have her baby.

youngsister
07-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Nazia oww Ok I pray that everything works out correctly for you. :)

like a lecturer once said, if women were not allowed to become doctors and stuff because it's supposedly 'haram' then ho's gonna see to a mans wife when she falls ill or is due to have her baby.
We do need muslim women who are educated and work I be much happier to see a female doctor rather than a male one, you are right is all about how you carry yourself.

And Nazia you are lucky to work with kids and this seems like a good opportunity dont just give it up, pray Istakarah and isha allah hopefully the outcome will guide you to the right choice :)
:w:

S_87
07-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Working with niqab in an un mixed environment in the west is pretty hard, though if theres any place that youll get minimum men its in a primary school.

What do you feel you are doing wrong sister? Working? interacting with men? going out? whats making you uncomfortable?

sangeeta
08-07-2008, 06:22 PM
I believe every woman has a right to work and earn her own money as long as the job is good.If you believe you are sinning,you need to discuss with scholars to put your mind at rest.Its not your fault too many women generally misguided about alot of things.
Most muslim women I know would not be able to sustain a decent standard of living,and surely earning a living has to be better for the self esteem and life than potentially having to claim benefits.Sorry but if you are married and your husband can keep you well and you want to stay at home thats fine.Just remember who preys on idle minds.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.