/* */

PDA

View Full Version : No God But Allah

Mariam2008
07-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Salam WaAlakum,

I am new to this forum and I am interested in Islam and have been doing some research. I came across this interesting article called "No God But Allah" where it seems that a Bishop in the Netherlands is asking that God now be referred to as Allah. (I will post the link but am not posting the article as there are parts of it I find insulting to Islam).

[link removed]

While I was happy to read of such open mindedness, the article did seem to have some errors. Since I am not that learned in Islam yet, I am hoping that the Brothers and Sisters here can tell me if this is right or wrong. He writes in the middle of the article:

"The Bishop is right to point out that Christians throughout Arabia would use the name ‘Allah’, not least because it has come to be simply the Arabic term for God. But this was not revealed to Mohammed: the term predates his era and that of the Qur’an. Allah was in fact a Babylonian moon god, one of a pantheon of gods."

However, as I was researching this, I found that the Gospels in Aramaic pronouce God as Allah. Here is an audio clip of what I found:

[link removed]

So, it would seem that the author of this article is wrong. That it is not just the Arabic word for God but is actually how the word God is spoken in Aramic (which I read somewhere is the language closest to Allah--although I'm not sure where I read that at). Is this a fair assumption? I welcome all correction.

Thank you,

Mariam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aurora
07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur...h/moongod.html

Mariam2008
07-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Thank you very much for the link. It was very informative. :)

Eeman
07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
there is also another thread that dealt with this Insha'Allah i'll find it and post it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mariam2008
07-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Thank you, Sister. I appreciate your efforts.

MustafaMc
07-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Muslims do not worship the moon, the sun, any person, or any statue/idol. We have absolutely no mental image of Allah when we pray. We worship the One God, Allah, Who created all that exists.

Qur'an 24:35 Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The parable of His Light is as if there were a Niche, in which there is a lamp, the lamp is enclosed in crystal, the crystal is of a starlike brilliance, it is lit with the olive oil from a blessed olive tree which is neither eastern nor western, its very oil would almost be luminous though no fire touched it - as though all the means of increasing Light upon Light are provided - Allah guides to His Light whom He pleases. Allah cites such parables to make His message clear to the people; and Allah has knowledge of everything.

Mariam2008
07-29-2008, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Muslims do not worship the moon, the sun, any person, or any statue/idol. We have absolutely no mental image of Allah when we pray. We worship the One God, Allah, Who created all that exists.

Qur'an 24:35 Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The parable of His Light is as if there were a Niche, in which there is a lamp, the lamp is enclosed in crystal, the crystal is of a starlike brilliance, it is lit with the olive oil from a blessed olive tree which is neither eastern nor western, its very oil would almost be luminous though no fire touched it - as though all the means of increasing Light upon Light are provided - Allah guides to His Light whom He pleases. Allah cites such parables to make His message clear to the people; and Allah has knowledge of everything.
Thank you Brother for your good guidance. This is a wonderful site and I appreciate all who have assisted me in my quest to understand Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.