/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a sari/salwar kameez etc

anonymous
07-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Assalamu alykum peepz :)

Hey, I wanted to ask a quick question, I wear the jilbab and I am happy wearing alhumdullilah, :) :) :) ... but if we were invited to a wedding, is it ok for me to wear salwar kameez, trouser suit, a sari, becuase my mum suggests to me to wear it ... is it ok for me to wear it even though I wear the jilbab? Im sorry if this question is stupid :-[, I just wanted to be sure, Im still learning.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Brother_Mujahid
07-27-2008, 12:16 AM
if you wear it underneath then theres nothing wrong.

you can then take it off infront of the women persumably if they are separate from the men, then when you leave pop it back on.

Eeman
07-27-2008, 04:46 AM
WHAT IS A JILBAB????????
sorry heard of hijab but jilbab?????? :o$

truemuslim
07-27-2008, 04:57 AM
^ lol sis this is a jilbab

covers all alhamdulillah...

and sis anonymous...
I don't think you can wear pants and a shirt, but maybe a skirt and a shirt, because you aren't allowed to have anything too tight for people to see your figure or anything, you gotta wear it loose...something rasulallah said about satr or sitr.
If its a wedding you should wear a nice skirt and a shirt.
were you plannin on goin in them office clothes?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tania
07-27-2008, 05:22 AM
I saw pics from pakistani weddings with guests and everyone was well dress up :)

Eeman
07-27-2008, 05:35 AM
ok so thats called a jilbab. hmmmm why are they always black?

Tania
07-27-2008, 10:18 AM
May be are on other colours too :-[

Faye
07-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Saris bare the abdomen, anything below the navel is satr, so no saris.

But most Pakistani weddings do not have seperate men-women areas. Even if they do, some men always get into women's areas. And all the servers are male, even in the women's areas. I don't think you'll have much opportunity to show off your new clothes. What's the fun of wearing them, if nobody can see them?

But no reason you can't wear anything you want to around your own house (except saris).

'Abd-al Latif
07-27-2008, 10:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faye

But most Pakistani weddings do not have seperate men-women areas. Even if they do, some men always get into women's areas. And all the servers are male, even in the women's areas. I don't think you'll have much opportunity to show off your new clothes.
I agree.

The best dress is the hijab by miles.

Eeman
07-27-2008, 02:34 PM
dear sis, i have never been to a pakistani wedding but i have seen pictures of my friends, the ones that wear hijab, buy themselves beautiful colourful shalwar kameezes that are fullsleeved and then wear matching colour headscarf to go with it, so your all covered and yet at the same time look nice and pretty :o)
why dont you try that?

Simply_Logical
07-27-2008, 02:39 PM

But most Pakistani weddings do not have seperate men-women areas. Even if they do, some men always get into women's areas. And all the servers are male, even in the women's areas. I don't think you'll have much opportunity to show off your new clothes. What's the fun of wearing them, if nobody can see them?

But no reason you can't wear anything you want to around your own house (except saris).
i agree too!

anonymous
07-27-2008, 04:28 PM
errr wats wrong with wearin shalwaar kameez without the jilbaab, dey modest clothing and so can a sari be n al providin ya wel al covered:enough!:

Sahabiyaat
07-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Saris bare the abdomen, anything below the navel is satr, so no sari.But no reason you can't wear anything you want to around your own house (except saris).
nope, u can get saris that cover ur stomach, ive worn one so i should no. you can aslo get saris that have full arms! although that is becoming rare even with salwar kameez.

S_87
07-27-2008, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
errr wats wrong with wearin shalwaar kameez without the jilbaab, dey modest clothing and so can a sari be n al providin ya wel al covered:enough!:
what is required for a muslim woman is an 'outer garment' to cover the clothes inside that may look nice/be tight etc, the abaya.jilbab is this 'outer garment'

Musaafirah
07-27-2008, 06:09 PM
There is a way of wearing a sari that covers your stomach and all..(that's the way I wear my saris)
But it's always best to wear your jilbab on top.
I went to a friends Mehndi recently and thought there were just gonna be girls (that's the whole point right?) But there were guys there (relatives of the bride and cameramen), so I just kept my jilbab on!...
Regardless of whether othere people see your clothes or not, you know you're wearing nice clothes and that's all that matters right?

anonymous
07-27-2008, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
Regardless of whether othere people see your clothes or not, you know you're wearing nice clothes and that's all that matters right?
errr no, d whole point is 2 show off ya outfit inittttttt :D:D:D

jannat
07-27-2008, 08:28 PM
:sl:
i think sharwar kameez is ok, as long as it is covering and modest.. i ve seen ppl wear pakistani clothes and hijab and it looks nice. if theres segregation then u can take ur veil off, if u wish. i need to learn this myself too inshallah. Gets hard at weddings, i understand, as our parents prefer us to dress the way they want... hey, it not a stupid question, Best wishes and have a nice time.. :D

:w:

truemuslim
07-27-2008, 08:33 PM
jus one thing. what on earth is a shalwar kameezZ???

jannat
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
jus one thing. what on earth is a shalwar kameezZ???
pakistani garment.. long dress, and trousers, quite baggy!:) different designs of them though!

truemuslim
07-27-2008, 09:04 PM
ooooooh that stuff??? whats wrong wit hthat?
tis all cool (in my opinion) so i dunno.

it loks like old people clothestho. like heere in america i saw some and it was in the old lady section :X :?

Re.TiReD
08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
:salamext:

Wear the jilbab to the wedding and if its segregated then take it off by all means. if a wedding wasnt segregated I'd be put off going anyway, jilbab or no jilbab.

And as for wearing a sari, as another sis said, I'm pretty sure there are ways of wearing it which would cover the awrah sufficiently.

:wasalamex

Rafeeq
08-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Sis, I believe you can wear whatever you want if it is not intrupting your concept of HIJAAB.

Periwinkle18
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
shalwar kameez are not baggy now adays u should see ppl here the kameez are lyke so short n tight and now the shalwar is going up the ankles which is called a capri. i wear an abaya to weddings n ppl keep staring at me so i don't lyke to go to weddings. hate em .

roohani.doctor
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
just a question, wuts the difference between abaya and jilbab? there shouldn't b any difference cuz technically they r the same thing...but just wanna make sure, they are both arab words right?

Periwinkle18
08-03-2008, 08:17 PM
there is no difference its the same things i call a jilbab an abaya.

Blue Rose
08-04-2008, 08:41 AM
if its all women there then its fine... just wear your jilbab to the place and then you can take it off and show off your nice clothes :D

------
08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
:salamext:

Salwar Kameez is modest as long as its not so tight it's showing all of your awrah even whilst ur dressed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.