/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My journey to Islam

moneer1313
07-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Asalamalaikum,

First let me say thank you for the warm welcome, believe it or not these forums are what inspired me to start my website. Well as far as my journey to Islam is concerned it actually is started year as before I actually reverted.

I grew up Christian as most Italians do though my family wasn't that religious. We would go to church once and a while and act holy...lol you know the easy way, pray on Sunday and sin on Monday...lol. Anyway I always had a feeling that something was missing from my life and from my faith. I would spend my nights pondering all the huge questions one can ask themselves and even though I didn't know Islam then, I knew there had to be something out there better for me.

So in an effort to find myself, I decided I would read the Bible, but it just never sat well with me. I mean not only were there multiple versions but one page would contradict a page I read a few minutes ago, which didn't make me feel comfortable. I mean I am not the smartest guy in the world but I know when somethings smells and when I see contradictions in a book that supposed to be the word of god...well that bothered me! So I decided well maybe I am just not informed enough in the Christian faith and that is why I am not understanding the bible. So I would read through it and write down the points that I questioned Like

Who would Jesus Pray to?
Why does he never call himself the son of god?
Why is the word Bible not in the Bible?
Why are there no definitive verses that give proof to Jesus being divine?
Why is the word trinity not in the Bible?
Why does the Bible say that salvation comes from God but my preacher says it's through Jesus?

The list went on and I decided I would start asking those questions at church. Well as you can imagine my questions did not go over well in church or with the Minister...lol. I was told that this meant that and that meant this, and all the while everyone was acting like I shouldn't ask these questions and I was some rebellious teenager and I still never got any real answers. That hurt me because anyone with half a brain would ask the same questions, if they would just look at the bible from another perspective besides the Jesus perspective.

So I started to strip out the things that didn't make sense to me and figured that I didn't really feel good about the whole Jesus being god thing and I thought god was only one so I threw the trinity thing out of my mind. Then I looked at the Bible and started analyzing the major holes in it. Once I did this I knew this was wrong and I had to find out what was right. I felt like it was my duty as a human being with a brain to seek out the truth. Like God was staring at me and saying "Get off your but and look man!"

So I did and I researched alot of religions and by chance I made friends with a man who was Muslim and we were having lunch one day and we started talking about religion and I told him how I was feeling empty as my search for truth was turning up empty at best. See my faith was based on simple things. I believed there was only one God and that I should believe in him. So I asked My friend what he believed and he said "I believe that there is only one God and Mohammed (PBUH) is his messenger. I thought "Hey thats what I think" at least the God being one part, at the time I wasn't sure about the messenger thing. So I asked more questions and he informed me alot over the next few weeks and I started reading the Quran.

And you know what, after reading the Quran for just a bit I was able to explain the Bible better than I could before and finally something had answers for me!!! Finally something that tells me about my god and what he expects of me. My whole life I felt like an employee without a job description and now I had an in detail way of how to do my job! But I did not revert right away. It was when I was reading the Quran one day and read a part about how a baby forms in the mothers stomach and thought " Wow there is no way that anyone could know this at that time!" The I started reading and noticing science fact that I couldn't ignore. Then I remembered on of the first things I had ever read in The Quran
"This is the book to which there is no doubt"
And I knew then that, that statement was the purest thing I had ever read and I said my shahada then and here I am. Thank Allah.

Well that's my story I hope I didn't babble to long.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
coddles76
07-30-2008, 06:14 AM
Allahu Akbar
No you certainly didn't babble and the story once again brings along a watery eye. May Allah SWT's mercy be on you until the final days and may he accept you and grant you paradise inshAllah. May he keep your strength strong and those around you. Ameen!

moneer1313
07-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks that means alot to hear.

Makky
07-30-2008, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moneer1313
Thanks that means alot to hear.
Congratulations brother!

a great story really

Alhamdulillah!! Allah guided you !!!

How old were you when you reverted to ISLAM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sahabiyaat
07-30-2008, 04:53 PM
:sl:

welcum akhee, its so great to hear your story and how Allah guided you, always makes me feel hopeful. The stories of reverts somehow just make u feel revived :), reminds u of Allahs mercy when he guides people.congratz :D

moneer1313
07-30-2008, 05:01 PM
I was in my mid twenties. I think about how lucky I am all the time. I mean it's one thing to be born into something, but I was misguided my whole life and the deck was stacked against me with everyone I knew being another faith. I just feel like Allah picked me up out of the mud and helped me stand right.

That is why I am so strong now in my convictions. I feel that it is my duty to Allah to not only worship him but to be a voice and spread the message. Because you know Allah will not ask you if they followed, but he will ask you if you showed them the way.

moneer1313
07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Sahabiyaat

I like your tag so much I put it on the front page of my website http://www.buildmyislam.com

Just wanted you to see. Thanks

Sahabiyaat
07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
:sl:

:D, JazakAllah

i love it too, i have it on my bedroom wall, its amazing.

once agen, congratz and may Allah give u the highest station in Jannah!

:w:

moneer1313
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
You to. If you look through my site that I am starting please tell me what you think. Thanks

S1aveofA11ah
07-30-2008, 05:57 PM
I was in my mid twenties. I think about how lucky I am all the time. I mean it's one thing to be born into something, but I was misguided my whole life and the deck was stacked against me with everyone I knew being another faith. I just feel like Allah picked me up out of the mud and helped me stand right.

That is why I am so strong now in my convictions. I feel that it is my duty to Allah to not only worship him but to be a voice and spread the message. Because you know Allah will not ask you if they followed, but he will ask you if you showed them the way.
Asalaamualaikum and ahlan wa sahlaan (welcome) Brother to Islam!.

I am very pleased for you and pray for you and all Believers utmost success (ameen).

Always put 'La Illaha illallah muhammad ar-rasoolallah' (the Kalima) at the foremost of your life. Make this statement of Islam the main strength in your new life brother for certainly you will face hardships on this path to Janaat and your Imaan will be tested. Be strong on the Kalima Brother and simply know what are the things which can negate one's Islam.

Imagine you were very poor and an unknown relative died who wrote in his will millions of dollars for you to inherit. You would not set fire to the money or pour acid on it. Nor would you let it blow away in the wind in the street. You would guard the new good. Guard your Islam likewise brother until you breathe your last breath. Allah will show you clear signs if you truly believe.

Shaikh-ul-Islam Muhammad bin Abdul-Wahhab stated, "Know that ten matters negate one's Islam. [They are:]

"First, associating partners in the worship of Allah. Allah says,
"Verily, Allah forgives not (the sin of) setting up partners in worship with Him, but He forgives whom He pleases other sins than that" (al-Nisa 116).
Allah also says, "Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the wrongdoers, there are no helpers" (al-Maidah 72).
Included in this category of deeds is sacrificing animals for the sake of jinn or graves.

"Second, whoever sets up an intermediary between himself and Allah, whom he prays to, seeks intercession from and puts his reliance in, has blasphemed according to the consensus of the scholars.

"Third, whoever does not consider the polytheists as disbelievers or whoever has doubt concerning their disbelief or whoever considers their way as correct has committed an act of disbelief himself.

"Fourth, if a person believes that some guidance other than the guidance of the Prophet (peace be upon him) is more complete than his or that another's judgment is better than the Prophet's, [then that person has committed an act of disbelief]. This would be like the one who prefers the rule and
law of false gods [be they human or otherwise] over the Prophet's rule and law. This position is one of disbelief.

"Fifth, whoever dislikes anything the Prophet (peace be upon him) brought, even if he acts by it, has committed an act of disbelief.

"Sixth, whoever ridicules or jokes about any part of the religion of the Messenger (peace be upon him) or its rewards or its punishments, has committed an act of disbelief. The evidence for this is in the Words of Allah,
"Say: Was it Allah, or His signs or His Messenger that you were mocking? Make no excuse, you have disbelieved after you had believed." (al-Tauba 65-66).

"Seventh, the performing of magic [is an act of disbelief], this includes those magical incantations that make one love or hate another person. Whoever performs them or is pleased with them has committed an act of disbelief. Allah says in the Quran,

"But neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) until they had said, 'We are only for trial, so disbelieve not [by learning such magic from us]"' (al-Baqara 102).

"Eighth, assisting and supporting the polytheists against the Muslims [is also a type of disbelief].

The proof for this is in Allah's statement,

"And if any among you takes them [the Jews and Christians] as helpers and protectors, then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are wrongdoing" (al-Maida 51).

"Ninth, if a person believes that some people are permitted to be free of the Law of Muhammad (peace be upon him), in the same way that Khidr was free of the law of Moses (peace be upon him), then that person is a disbeliever.

"Tenth, turning away from the religion of Allah, not learning it or applying it, [is also a form of disbelief]. The evidence for this is Allah's saying,
"And who does more wrong than he who is reminded of the signs of his Lord, then he turns aside therefrom? Verily, We shall exact retribution from the sinners "
(al-Sajdah 22).

"There is no difference with respect to all of the above whether the act is done jokingly, seriously or out of fear. The only exception is one who is coerced. All of them are from the greater of the dangerous acts and they are also among the most common in occurrence. A Muslim must be aware
of them and fear for himself concerning such actions. We seek refuge in Allah from that which brings about His anger and the painfulness of His punishment"

Hypocrisy

Hypocrisy is of Two Types: With Respect to Belief and with Respect to Actions.

Hypocrisy with respect to beliefs is of six types. The one who is guilty of any of them will be in the lowest pit of the Hellfire.

These are:

(1) Denying or disbelieving the Messenger (peace be upon him).
(2) Denying something that the Messenger (peace be upon him) presented or taught.
(3) Having hatred for the Messenger (peace be upon him).
(4) Having hatred for something the Messenger (peace be upon him) presented.
(5) Being pleased if the religion of the Messenger (peace be upon him) is diminished or weakened.
(6) Being displeased if the religion of the Messenger (peace be upon him) is strengthened or victorious.

Be strong in your clinging onto Islam Brother. Leave the argumentative folk to themselves. Leave the liars to themselves. Leave the jealous to themselves. Leave the arrogant to themselves and leave the ignorant to themselves. Put Allah and His Messenger FIRST and WIN. Your in the ultimate WIN-WIN situation Insh'Allah!. Love Muhammad (peace be upon him) more than yourself and see the miracles that will occur!.

Peace be upon you!.

Makky
07-30-2008, 06:14 PM

Allahu Akbar ..this enthusiasm you have should be studded with Knowledge and wisdom...Who knows may be Allah will guide thosands of people to truth through you for that I advise you brother by this verse from QURAN

Allah said :
قُلۡ هَـٰذِهِۦ سَبِيلِىٓ أَدۡعُوٓاْ إِلَى ٱللَّهِ*ۚ عَلَىٰ بَصِيرَةٍ أَنَا۟ وَمَنِ ٱتَّبَعَنِى*ۖ وَسُبۡحَـٰنَ ٱللَّهِ وَمَآ أَنَا۟ مِنَ ٱلۡمُشۡرِكِينَ (١٠٨)

the translation of the meaning:

Say: This is my Way: I call on Allah with sure knowledge. I and whosoever followeth me - Glory be to Allah! - and I am not of the idolaters. (108) surat YUSUF verse-108

Sure knowledge brother!!

learn Arabic, learn faith , learn fiqh , learn Quran

May Allah teach us and increase our knowledge and IMAN

moneer1313
07-30-2008, 07:36 PM
I feel so humble right now. I look at myself and all I can think about now is how I can become a better Muslim. You know I think thousands of people are out there right now, curious about Islam or wanting to accept it but are scared because they feel they have no association with it. I mean lets face it the news doesn't really let mainstream America see Muslims like me. If I am able to go out there and speak and show people this Italian guy who looks like their neighbors I know that you will see more people coming out of their shells. 21% of the Muslims in America are converted from other faiths! Where are they?

I feel we need to stand up and help put new face on Islam. You know one of my good friends is Muslim and he is from Pakistan and when we go out average Americans will approach me way faster than they will him. Why? Because they look at me and say "Hey he looks like an average guy, let me see what he has to say." It's just like when you see Christian Muslim debates on TV, they always have some unassuming white guy named John Smith debating with A guy named Mohammed with a beard. Who do you think the average viewer will automatically side with the minute they turn on the show? Right away they get preconcieved notions without ever hearing the whole story. Their ears are closed before the debate begins. But if John Smith the Christian was debating with Mike Ferrara the Muslim there would be no preconcieved notions and actually it would make people be more attentive to both sides because they would not be able to judge right away.

S1aveofA11ah
07-30-2008, 08:05 PM
I feel so humble right now. I look at myself and all I can think about now is how I can become a better Muslim. You know I think thousands of people are out there right now, curious about Islam or wanting to accept it but are scared because they feel they have no association with it. I mean lets face it the news doesn't really let mainstream America see Muslims like me. If I am able to go out there and speak and show people this Italian guy who looks like their neighbors I know that you will see more people coming out of their shells. 21% of the Muslims in America are converted from other faiths! Where are they?

I feel we need to stand up and help put new face on Islam. You know one of my good friends is Muslim and he is from Pakistan and when we go out average Americans will approach me way faster than they will him. Why? Because they look at me and say "Hey he looks like an average guy, let me see what he has to say." It's just like when you see Christian Muslim debates on TV, they always have some unassuming white guy named John Smith debating with A guy named Mohammed with a beard. Who do you think the average viewer will automatically side with the minute they turn on the show? Right away they get preconcieved notions without ever hearing the whole story. Their ears are closed before the debate begins. But if John Smith the Christian was debating with Mike Ferrara the Muslim there would be no preconcieved notions and actually it would make people be more attentive to both sides because they would not be able to judge right away.
Just a little point - I guess you meant this anyway - Islam does not need a new face or a new anything. Islam is Islam and always will be just that - the perfect revealed religion of Allah. It needs no additions or subtractions.

Allah says in the Qur'an (paraphrased): "And this day I have perfected for you your Religion - Islam...". I think you meant - which is an absolute key for our (i.e. the Ummah) dire situation right now - the Muslims need to put a new face on.

That is what is needed. Right now the face is of down-trodden, dishonest, weak and lowly people - which in many (not all of course) cases is true. The Muslims have pushed Islam away from themselves or just do not understand it.

The Muslims new face (for success) is one that needs: understanding, self-purification, honesty, and love for the religion above anything else. Just these alone will take us to levels only Allah can give (ameen).

moneer1313
07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
What I meant by new face is this. The average American thinks that a Muslim is Arab, and they have many preconceived false notions about Islam. Most Americans don't know that Arabs are one of the smallest populations of Muslims in the world if you look at Indonesia and China which have hundreds of Millions. People in America need to see the multitude of non Arab Muslims so they can get a different look at Islam. I would never add anything to Islam. But as far as public perception goes we could use a new face to splatter on the TV. I feel that Americans need to see the people they don't expect to be Muslims on TV and radio as to open up more eyes and ears which wold normally be closed due to prejudices and prejudgments. That is all

Makky
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
It's just like when you see Christian Muslim debates on TV, they always have some unassuming white guy named John Smith debating with A guy named Mohammed with a beard. Who do you think the average viewer will automatically side with the minute they turn on the show? Right away they get preconcieved notions without ever hearing the whole story. Their ears are closed before the debate begins. But if John Smith the Christian was debating with Mike Ferrara ----with a beard too---:Dthe Muslim there would be no preconcieved notions and actually it would make people be more attentive to both sides because they would not be able to judge right away.
I agree with you 100% ..a muslim makes dawah and invite people to islam but there is no need to camouflage

moneer1313
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
lol...I agree. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the analagy, I was just trying to make a point. Thanks

Makky
07-30-2008, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Makky
I agree with you 100% ..a muslim makes dawah and invite people to islam but there is no need to camouflage
you didn't get the point i guess..

I mean a muslim ( a western new muslim) don't need to abandon obligatory deeds in islam in order to let non muslim western people feel more comfortable..

moneer1313
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh I agree 100% actually all I mean is people will let their guard down if they see someone they feel they can relate to. I feel if more converted Muslims speak out that more Americans will be more apt to asking questions and investigating. Because if the person they are seeing doesn't fit their description of a Muslim in their head their guard goes down and they ultimately will listen more.

Makky
07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Oh I agree 100% actually all I mean is people will let their guard down if they see someone they feel they can relate to. I feel if more converted Muslims speak out that more Americans will be more apt to asking questions and investigating. Because if the person they are seeing doesn't fit their description of a Muslim in their head their guard goes down and they ultimately will listen more.
I totally agree

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.