/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim girls show sport and religion can mix

Uthman
08-01-2008, 02:14 PM
A group of young Muslim girls have enrolled in a unique new sports programme that proves religion does not have to get in the way of keeping fit.

Finding a sports club that is sensitive to Muslim beliefs can be difficult for many women in the borough as large numbers do not feel comfortable removing their head scarves and prefer to take part in single sex classes.

To combat this Brent Council and the Islamic Cultural Centre have joined forces to create a safe and understanding environment where they can feel free to be themselves while enjoying regular exercise.

The weekly programme, which is funded by Brent Youth Service, has helped to renew the 11 to 25-year-olds interest in sport, with participants trying their hand at everything from basketball to hockey and ice-skating.

Falak Butt, a youth worker for Brent Youth Service, helps run the sessions.

She said: "It can be hard to get Muslim girls to take part in sport.

"But as a Muslim woman, parents are happy to approach me about any issues concerning the girls and really support the project.

"The girls have definitely become more confident and their sports skills have improved. It's great to see them developing so well."

Fifteen-year-old Uzma Butt said: "We play a huge variety of sports, which is great. It was hard to get involved in sport before.

"Because we're all Muslims it's okay to take our head scarves off and because it's all girls in the group I feel comfortable and relaxed. I really enjoy it.

Faizah Siddiqi, 17, added: "Before I joined the sports group I used to stay at home.

"Since joining the club my fitness levels have improved and I've made loads of friends. I've also become more confident and have learnt to play in a team."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The_Prince
08-03-2008, 09:34 AM
:raging: WW3 is comming soon and this is the best we can have in the world affairs section! common man!

Uthman
08-03-2008, 09:54 AM
:-[

Al-Zaara
08-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I still think it's very good news, although there are much more serious news out there. We do need some good news from time to time, whatever they might be.

And this helps the Muslimahs in England to take care of their health and at the same time obeying the Islamic rules. We Muslimahs ain't super women born with aswesome health, we do need to move like anybody else. :thumbs_up
When the girls stay very much at home and aren't going out a lot to do sports or move, they'll get easily tired and lack motivation to do other stuff.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The_Prince
08-03-2008, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
:-[
you still the man :thumbs_up

SixTen
08-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Why wouldn't sport and religion mix? Isn't that rather to do with culture, that causes the seperation? I never read in the Qur'an that women were not allowed to play sports (all girls). Anyway its good thing, usually they don't get enough exercise and become fat otherwise :skeleton:

Al-Zaara
08-04-2008, 07:22 AM
It's nothing about Islam forbbiding sports. The issue is the Islamic headscarf and clothing, I mean, sweating in a scarf ain't that nice for example. You can't take it off 'cause males are almost everywhere. So a place with only women and really only women, you can take off the scarf and wear a bit less or shorter, it's more comfortable when doing sports.

hafizbilal
08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
It's nothing about Islam forbbiding sports. The issue is the Islamic headscarf and clothing, I mean, sweating in a scarf ain't that nice for example. You can't take it off 'cause males are almost everywhere. So a place with only women and really only women, you can take off the scarf and wear a bit less or shorter, it's more comfortable when doing sports.
also clothing worn for sports cant be baggy, and wearing tight clothing can be very revealing especially if ur sweating alot

FatimaAsSideqah
08-06-2008, 05:13 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

All Islamic observances must be followed, regardless of any school policies or social stigmas. Our obedience to our Creator cannot be given preference to a creature of Allah.

When participating in sports, the clothing must be Islamically acceptable. This would therefore exclude shorts, t-shirts, leotards, swimming costumes etc.

It is very important to ensure that there are no males watching. Mixing of sexes is forbidden in normal situations, except in special situations under certain conditions, let alone in a sporting arena or exercise facility. It also restricts your activities, and modesty would not allow this in any case.

KAding
08-07-2008, 07:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

All Islamic observances must be followed, regardless of any school policies or social stigmas. Our obedience to our Creator cannot be given preference to a creature of Allah.

When participating in sports, the clothing must be Islamically acceptable. This would therefore exclude shorts, t-shirts, leotards, swimming costumes etc.

It is very important to ensure that there are no males watching. Mixing of sexes is forbidden in normal situations, except in special situations under certain conditions, let alone in a sporting arena or exercise facility. It also restricts your activities, and modesty would not allow this in any case.
Which essentially means Muslims who want to follow a strict dress code can't compete professionally, since baggy clothes simply slow you down too much.

So at least professional sport and religion can't mix! Not until everyone on this planet is a strict Muslim that is, that would even the playingfield :D.

Malaikah
08-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Correction KAding - it isn't only Muslim women who are held back, but any woman who likes to dress modestly. It's almost like you can't play any sport without being half naked these days!

IbnAbdulHakim
08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizbilal
also clothing worn for sports cant be baggy, and wearing tight clothing can be very revealing especially if ur sweating alot
cant be baggy? i always wear the baggiest clothes when i play sports :S

Nawal89
08-08-2008, 01:01 PM
^ I know i mean i swim in my jilbab, and it doesnt slow me down any.
I can run in my jilbab, ride a bicycle, and play i cant catch the ball... I even ice-skate with my jilbab and long khimar on! Everyone was dropping down left and right and i ice-skated like a pro. what you people on about?People just think that sports clothes have to be all tight fitting and dont want to try baggy clothes. It really doesnt slow you down.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.