/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Math Puzzle

Faye
08-02-2008, 01:49 PM
This requires no calculation skills or knowledge of math more complicated than counting (and basic logic).

You are standing in a room. There are three identical doors in front of you. Behind one is the super 64 trillion dollar prize, behind another is a truckload of fertilizer (stinky) and the room beyond the third is an empty room.

In comes a guy and tells you about the prizes and says: Pick a door, any door.

Knowing that the worst you can do is become owner of a truckload of (stinky) fertilizer, you clamp your nose with clothespins and pick one.

The guy says: Before I show you your prize, I'll show you what horrible possible fate you missed. And he pulls open one of the doors you didn't pick, leading either to the empty room or to the truckload of (stinky) fertilizer.

You gag (if it was the fertilizer), or take a deep breath in preparation for future gagging (in anticipation of fertilizer).

The guy says: You still have time to change your mind. You can still switch doors if you want to.

Now the question is, should you or should you not switch, and is there a mathematical advantage to doing so?

Anybody who already knows the answer, please don't answer.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
08-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Erm....Erm.....No dont change.....Dont know why....just dont :D

Faye
08-03-2008, 05:53 AM
Alright, it's possible to get a more than 50% chance of getting the 64 trillion dollar prize if you use the proper strategy. So what is it?

Faye
08-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Doesn't anybody like math here?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faye
08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Alright I'll tell you, you can have a 2/3 chance of hitting the dough if you follow the right strategy. What is it?

FatimaAsSideqah
08-06-2008, 06:54 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I am rubbish at maths and I have not idea!! :-[

Some else will post it to answer, Insha'Allah.

aamirsaab
08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faye
Alright I'll tell you, you can have a 2/3 chance of hitting the dough if you follow the right strategy. What is it?
Use your nose. You'll be able to smell the manure so you go for the other door (that smells of cash).

Faye
08-08-2008, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Use your nose. You'll be able to smell the manure so you go for the other door (that smells of cash).
Good answer. It might work except for the clothespins. You'll faint if you take them off.:D

Islamic Brother
08-15-2008, 10:37 PM
I REALLY LOVE MATH .....
AND NO DONT SWITCH
I MEAN CMON BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE :bump:

LOL

Faye
08-16-2008, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamic Brother
I REALLY LOVE MATH .....
AND NO DONT SWITCH
I MEAN CMON BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE :bump:

LOL

Really love the pic.:D
Some more hinting; if you switch, you get a 2/3 probability of getting The Prize.
So think about it. It's eaaaaasy.
Actually, not so easy, it took me a day of frustration to do it, but it's possible. And, no calculations required.

Islamic Brother
08-16-2008, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by faye
really love the pic.:d
some more hinting; if you switch, you get a 2/3 probability of getting the prize.
So think about it. It's eaaaaasy.
Actually, not so easy, it took me a day of frustration to do it, but it's possible. And, no calculations required.
ive said it before
but ill say it again

im no nerd!!!!!!

Faye
08-16-2008, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamic Brother
ive said it before
but ill say it again

im no nerd!!!!!!
You don't have to admit to it.:D

Whatsthepoint
08-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Practically speaking, switching doesn't make a difference.

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-16-2008, 09:46 PM
How about this: The guy should go from door to another and smell it. :D Then he dismisses the stinky door, after that his friend shows him the empty door, he picks up prize, and shares it with me. :D

Islamic Brother
08-17-2008, 09:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdu-l-Majeed
How about this: The guy should go from door to another and smell it. :D Then he dismisses the stinky door, after that his friend shows him the empty door, he picks up prize, and shares it with me. :D
HE SAID ANYONE WHO SMELLS IT WOULD FAINT!...

YOU WANNA FAINT???:bump:

:BeRightBack:

Faye
08-21-2008, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Practically speaking, switching doesn't make a difference.
Yes, it does

crayon
08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
ooh, i've heard something like this before. and YES it does make a difference if you switch, but i can't remember how!

( i just spent like 15 minutes trying to figure it out. i didn't. meh)

tell us already, please!

edit- (i just gave in and googled. i'm so ashamed.:-[)

Faye
08-22-2008, 08:20 AM
All right, since none of you can figure it out, here is the answer .

You have 2/3 chance of picking a bad door. So suppose you picked one of them. The guy will open the other bad door, so if your strategy is switching, you get a 2/3 chance of getting the prize.

If you strategy is not switching, then you have a 2/3 chance of picking a bad door and sticking to it, and only a 1/3 chance of getting the good door and sticking to it.

You should definitely switch.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.