/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How much should Mahr be?

Faye
08-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I know, I know, it's something the two families settle between themselves, but still...

I know you shouldn't set it so high that the men can't afford to marry...or do marry but have no reasonable expectations of ever paying up.

Should it be like, one month of the man's income ... a year of his income ... five years of his income ... half of his savings...????

There must be some recommended amount.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
08-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Thread Approved.

Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullah,

In Islam the mahr (dowry) is one of the rights of the wife, which is hers to take in total and is lawful for her, in contrast to the widespread practice in some countries, where the wife is given no dowry. Evidence that the wife must be given her dowry is found in many places, for example the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “And give to the women (whom you marry) their mahr (obligatory bridal money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage) with a good heart…” [al-Nisaa’ 4:4]

Sharee’ah does not stipulate a certain limit for the mahr that should not be overstepped, but it does encourage reducing the mahr and keeping it simple.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best of marriage is that which is made easiest.” Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan, classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3300.

And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best of mahrs is the simplest (or most affordable).” Narrated by al-Haakim and al-Bayhaqi, classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3279.

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to a man who wanted to get married: “Look (for something to give as a dowry), even if it is a ring of iron.” Agreed upon.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set the highest example for his ummah in that regard, so that a clear understanding of the basic principles would be implanted in society, and a spirit of simplicity would spread among the people.

Abu Dawood (2125) and al-Nasaa’i (3375) narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that ‘Ali said: “I married Faatimah (may Allaah be pleased with her) and said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah, let me go ahead with the marriage.’ He said: ‘Give her something.’ I said: ‘I do not have anything.’ He said: ‘Where is your Hutami shield?’ I said, ‘I have it with me.’ He said, ‘Give it to her.’” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i, 3160.

This was the mahr of Faatimah, the daughter of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), the leader of the women of Paradise.

This reinforces the fact that in Islam, the mahr is not something that is sought for its own sake.

Ibn Maajah (1887) narrated that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab said: “Do not go to extremes with regard to the dowries of women, for if that were a sign of honour and dignity in this world or a sign of piety before Allaah, then Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have done that before you. But he did not give any of his wives, and none of his daughters were given, more than twelve uqiyah. A man may increase the dowry until he feels resentment against her and says, ‘You cost me everything I own, and caused me a great deal of hardship’.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah, 1532.

“Do not go to extremes” means do not exaggerate in increasing the dowry. “A man may increase the dowry until he feels resentment against her” means, until he begins to hate her when he is still paying off the debts incurred because of this mahr because it is too hard for him, or whenever he thinks about the matter.

From Haashiyat al-Sindi ‘ala Ibn Maajah.

Muslim narrated in his Saheeh (no. 1426) that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “I asked ‘Aa’ishah the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) what the mahr given by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was. She said: ‘The mahr that he gave to his wives was twelve ooqiyah and a nashsh.’ He said, Do you know what a nashsh is? He said, she said it is half of an ooqiyah. That was five hundred dirhams. This was the mahr given by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to his wives.”

The scholar Ibn Khaldoon said:

“The consensus of the scholars from the beginning of Islam and the time of the Sahaabah and the Taabi’een has been that the shar’i dirham is that of which ten coins weigh seven mithqaals of gold. The ooqiyah is forty dirhams of this type, and on this basis it is seven-tenths of a dinar… All of these amounts are agreed upon by scholarly consensus (ijmaa’).”

(Muqaddimah Ibn Khaldoon, p. 263)

Based on this, the weight of a dirham in grams is 2.975 grams.

So the mahr of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was 500 x 2.975 = 1487.5 grams of silver.

The price of one gram of pure silver that has not been worked is approximately 1 riyal, so the mahr in riyals is approximately 1487.5 riyals.

In dollars it is approximately $396.7

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/3119/
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/10525/
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/2378

:w:

'Abd-al Latif
08-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I have a book by sh. al fawzan called A Summary of Islamic Jurispudence which has a chapter that describes the mahr, it's minimum and maximum amount, the amount of mahr recommended and the rights of the wife with regard to the mahr.

I've taken pictures of the entire chapter from the book, here it is below.

Note: You may need to zoom into the picture to view the text properly.

Khalisah
08-03-2008, 05:12 PM
:sl:
I am not sure how useful this is, and how islamic this practice is..but I have seen many of my families request £10,000 as mahr for the bride... Tho this seems alot.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faye
08-04-2008, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by darkchocolate
I am not sure how useful this is, and how islamic this practice is..but I have seen many of my families request £10,000 as mahr for the bride... Tho this seems alot.
An example of what mahr should not be, I should think. Though if the man is rich...

FatimaAsSideqah
08-04-2008, 04:44 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

It is unIslamic for a Muslim woman to set a huge demand for herself, with the intention of deterring suitors of humble means. Islam does not require husbands and wives to come from the same social strata or income brackets – although this may often seem to be advisable. Islamic compatibility is based on religious faith and mutual respect, not on money, caste (another Hindu custom), class, background, nationality, etc.

It is just as unIslamic to demand a huge mahr, generally beyond the husband’s means, based on the intention of checking the husband from ill-treating his wife, or wrongfully or causelessly divorcing the wife, or preventing him from remarrying another later – the reasoning being that in cases of divorce the woman can demand the full payment of the mahr. The fixing of a substantial mahr for the above purposes rests on the supposition that the mahr has to be fixed at the time of marriage, but not handed over until divorce – which gives it a supposed ‘deterrent’ value. This is unlawful in Islam, for in this case the wife has no use or ownership of the mahr during the time of the marriage.

If the prospective husband is not a wealthy man, a generous wife may choose to accept very small mahr, but this has to be her own free choice. She should not be coerced or have pressure put on her in any way. Some of the Prophet’s female companions accepted their husbands’ conversions to Islam, or memorising of ayat of the Qur’an, or giving education to others as their mahr.

Sahabiyaat
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
mercedes benz 2 of um

er...yeh....your should be really erm...not be extravagant when it comes to mahr :D

Khaldun
12-06-2009, 11:47 AM

This goes back to the 'urf meaning culture. A girl should look at what other girls her age marry for. But if she wants to make it simple then that is better, although she should not make it one riyal or something silly.

ardianto
12-06-2009, 01:55 PM

In my country, request mahr is considered as disgraceful. The bride and her family are suggested not to ask mahr. Also, the groom is suggested not to give huge sume of mahr. This is for prevent an image if mahr means payment for buy a wife. That's why in my country mahr usually is not in money but goods. The common mahr is a set of Al-Qur'an, sajadah and muk'na (salat clothes for woman). Sometime it is added with a few grams of gold, or money but not much. Even in some cases the mahr is a handkerchief.

However, after weeding party has over, the wife can request anything to the husband. I.e, car, jewelery, etc.

Beardo
12-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I remember I was a witness for this one nikkah.

The Imam asked what the Mehr was, and the man said "1000". Almost immediately, the wife said "2000!".

...and so 2000 it was.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.