/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Islam, Many Questions.

hungry4knowhow
08-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Greetings Brothers and Sisters, Peace be upon you.

I have many questions as I return to Islam, and am hoping you can help to answer them. Thank you in advance. Praise be to Allah!

1) What is the proper way to spell Asalama Lakem? I know that is not correct, and I feel somewhat dirty even spelling it like that, like What kind of audacity do I have. Almost haram.

2) What is the proper way to greet and react to greetings from my Brothers.

3) Is it wrong to talk to Sisters? Or have Sisters as friends? Only friends nothing else.

4) Is it wrong to not have any facial hair at all? Including the hair on ones head? I usually keep my head shaved due to the fact that I have so many many weird calics in my hair that it is impossible to keep in a kept state. My hair grows wings out the side haha.

5) I want to be the best Muslim I can be, and I want everyone around me to know that I am Muslim. Is it wrong for a new convert to wear a kufi? or Topee as I have also seen it called. Are the two different?

6) What is the best English translation of the Quran currently available?

7) On learning to read, write and speak Arabic, should I learn at the Masjid, or are there books that you can recommend to supplement my learnings from the Masjid.

8) I have a strong desire to bathe myself, cut my hair(as it is currently un kept) and ride over to the Masjid to learn more, but I am unsure that anyone will be there on a Sunday. Or are people there every day at times of prayer? Is it appropriate that I show up at a time of prayer to a Masjid where no one knows me and I am a white american with a shaved head and a cross tattoo on my arm?

9) Pertaining to the cross tattoo on my arm, even after I pronounce my Shahada will I always be committing haram by having a cross on my arm?

10) I have read that you are supposed to fast between dawn and dusk. Is it wrong to begin preparing meals before dusk if its going to take quite sometime and you will not be eating until after dusk? How does one sustain themselves during the day? Especially working outside in the heat.

11) I took my Shahada in prison a couple of years ago, but once I got out, I fell away from practicing, praying, I have eaten pork as recently as last week, I have drank alcohal as recently as last week, and have just been quite a sinner.

Due to recent events, I feel that it is time TIME TIME to go back to the Quran and back to the roots and rebuild myself so that I may restart my life and be a true practicing Muslim.

I know the Quran states that if you miss prayers even for years that you should say two of each at each prayer time until you have caught up, but what about the other stuff?

I am ready to give up pig for good, and alcohal, should i re pronounce my Shahada? Should I do it in private or should I bathe myself and take a trip to my local Masjid and do it there? Will someone be there on a Sunday?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
08-03-2008, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hungry4knowhow

I have many questions as I return to Islam, and am hoping you can help to answer them. Thank you in advance. Praise be to Allah!

Welcome back, Alhumdulillah!

1) What is the proper way to spell Asalama Lakem? I know that is not correct, and I feel somewhat dirty even spelling it like that, like What kind of audacity do I have. Almost haram.

i spell it AsSalaamu Alaykum, using 2a's for the long a, but most don't...

AsSalaamu Alaykum, or AsSalaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullah or AsSalaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatu!

3) Is it wrong to talk to Sisters? Or have Sisters as friends? Only friends nothing else.

i'm sure you know the answer, but concentrate on returning to the deen!

4) Is it wrong to not have any facial hair at all? Including the hair on ones head? I usually keep my head shaved due to the fact that I have so many many weird calics in my hair that it is impossible to keep in a kept state. My hair grows wings out the side haha.

trim the mustache and let the beard grow! i know other brothers with shaved heads...

5) I want to be the best Muslim I can be, and I want everyone around me to know that I am Muslim. Is it wrong for a new convert to wear a kufi? or Topee as I have also seen it called. Are the two different?

wear or don't wear...

i've seen Bilal Philips recommend the Saheeh International version and the Muhsin Khan Noble Qur'an; i am fond of Muhammad Asad's translation The Message of the Qur'an. if you can, get a multi volume copy of the Maariful Quran of the ibn Kathir Tafseer! [they are awesome!]

7) On learning to read, write and speak Arabic, should I learn at the Masjid, or are there books that you can recommend to supplement my learnings from the Masjid.

don't know, but definitely GO TO THE MASJID!

8) I have a strong desire to bathe myself, cut my hair(as it is currently un kept) and ride over to the Masjid to learn more, but I am unsure that anyone will be there on a Sunday.

someone should be there at EVERY prayer!

Or are people there every day at times of prayer? Is it appropriate that I show up at a time of prayer to a Masjid where no one knows me and I am a white american with a shaved head and a cross tattoo on my arm?

umm, cover the tattoo!

9) Pertaining to the cross tattoo on my arm, even after I pronounce my Shahada will I always be committing haram by having a cross on my arm?

it's there...

10) I have read that you are supposed to fast between dawn and dusk. Is it wrong to begin preparing meals before dusk if its going to take quite sometime and you will not be eating until after dusk? no How does one sustain themselves during the day? Especially working outside in the heat. try not to work too hard...

11) I took my Shahada in prison a couple of years ago, but once I got out, I fell away from practicing, praying, I have eaten pork as recently as last week, I have drank alcohal as recently as last week, and have just been quite a sinner.

Due to recent events, I feel that it is time TIME TIME to go back to the Quran and back to the roots and rebuild myself so that I may restart my life and be a true practicing Muslim.

the important part is to make tawbah; that is pray 2 rakahs and ask Allah[swt] for forgiveness and make the intention NOT do any of those things again.

I know the Quran states that if you miss prayers even for years that you should say two of each at each prayer time until you have caught up, but what about the other stuff?

that is above my pay grade!

I am ready to give up pig for good, and alcohal, should i re pronounce my Shahada? Should I do it in private or should I bathe myself and take a trip to my local Masjid and do it there? Will someone be there on a Sunday?
:sl:

go ahead and shower and go to the Masjid and then ask the Imam!

i recommend the Foundations of Islam by Bilal Philips, it's a 21 part video that will, In Sha'a Allah, benefit you greatly!
link:

http://www.bilalphilips.com/bilal_pa...sk=view&id=288

it WAY down of the bottom of the page, but you can stream it on your computer. there's also many other beneficial videos as well!

i also enjoy Mufti Ismail Menk, you can stream or download some audio Tafseer here:

http://www.muftimenk.co.za/Downloads.html

i strongly recommend . Tafseer - Ramadaan 1426 (2005) Klerksdorp (Reasons of Revelation of verses of the noble Qur'an)!

May Allah[swt] make it easy on you!

:w:

crayon
08-03-2008, 10:56 PM

Since it's in a language other than arabic, it can be spelled many different ways, depending on the pronunciation of the person saying it. Asalamu Alaykum is how I spell it.

Men can have their hair in whichever way they want as long as they do not practice shaving part of the hair and leaving another part, like mohawks for example. So you can shave your head, but trim the moustache and grow your beard. You said you wanted people to know that you are muslim, what better way than a beard?

8) I have a strong desire to bathe myself, cut my hair(as it is currently un kept) and ride over to the Masjid to learn more, but I am unsure that anyone will be there on a Sunday. Or are people there every day at times of prayer? Is it appropriate that I show up at a time of prayer to a Masjid where no one knows me and I am a white american with a shaved head and a cross tattoo on my arm?

There is prayer 5 times a day at the masjid, and there should be an imam and people praying there each of those times, whether it's a weekend or not. It may not be best to show your tattoo just yet as they don't know you, so maybe wear a long sleeved shirt or anything that covers it up?

Whatever you have done before coming to islam is forgiven inshallah, your slate is wiped clean.

10) I have read that you are supposed to fast between dawn and dusk. Is it wrong to begin preparing meals before dusk if its going to take quite sometime and you will not be eating until after dusk? How does one sustain themselves during the day? Especially working outside in the heat.

Preparing food is fine, you can cook all day if you like, it's just actually ingesting food or drink that is not allowed during ramadan. As for sustaining yourself, "suhoor" is a sunnah meal before fajr prayer, where you eat something so you're a little less hungry during the day. Try not to overexert yourself.. Fasting is actually a lot easier than it sounds, maybe try it once or twice before ramadan starts so that you can get used to it?

Maybe re-pronouncing your shahada would be a good way to start your journey back to islam? I think maybe if you're going to the mosque you should do it there, make it official, so that if you're tempted to stop practicing again you'll think twice?
Mashallah, it's great to hear about your returning to islam.:)

hungry4knowhow
08-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Can anyone guide me to a place I might find this Maariful Quran of the ibn Kathir Tafseer

I cant find it anywhere.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ayan333
08-03-2008, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=hungry4knowhow;983438]Greetings Brothers and Sisters, Peace be upon you.

Praise be to ALLAH (SWA)!!!...Alhamdulilah,welcome back to the Truth

lol..its ok.its spelled Salamu Alaykum..plp tend to spell it their way but it should be something like this.

now that you know how to spell it lol..the proper Islamic greeting is Asalamu Alaykum (peace b upon you)..some people like to shake hands,others like the hug thing,and other arent to touchy so they leave it at Asalamu Alaykum.depends on who it is3)

Is it wrong to talk to Sisters? Or have Sisters as friends? Only friends nothing else.

lower your gaze...,i going to leave it at that..im pretty sure there are many more knowledgable memebers that can give you better advise Insh ALLAH4)

Is it wrong to not have any facial hair at all? Including the hair on ones head? I usually keep my head shaved due to the fact that I have so many many weird calics in my hair that it is impossible to keep in a kept state. My hair grows wings out the side haha.

lol..anyone?

Mash ALLAH that great! Absolutly not! you can wear it with out a doubt.)

6.What is the best English translation of the Quran currently available?

there are many

Its always better to have someone teach you,but with me i rather have a session so i can have someone to answer all my ridiculous questions.

Alhamdulilah there is always someone at the Masjid

umm...wut can i say...try to get it removed..painfull i know but i think its well worth it,but for the mean time cover it up

yes its fine to start to prepare your meals..but try not to spend too much time cooking or thinking about making you meal..Alhamdulilah i dnt have to be in the heat but if you have know choice then jus keep the work light

ALLAH (SWA) is Oft-Forgiving,Most Merciful,sincerly repent and never do it again...if you would like to take shahada again i think it would be better,start it fresh but....if you truly believe you left Islam then you should

Alhamdulilah welcome back to the Truth!!!!!

Hope the people with knowledge on this board come and provide the answers you need Insh ALLAH

MustafaMc
08-04-2008, 12:03 AM

Others have provided excellent answers, but I want to provide my feedback as well.

You got it pretty close. Assalamu alaikum is how I write it and it means "peace be upon you". No need to feel ashamed as long as your intentions are good and you try your best.

"Assalamu alaikum" is the general greeting and is returned with "Wa alaikum salam" which means "and upon you be peace". The return greeting can also add "wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu" which means "and the Mercy of Allah and His Blessings".

I have several English translations and I like the Majestic Quran by the Nawawi Foundation best.

I have learned a good bit from Arabic Playhouse and Al-Qari software.

I encourage you to hide it until you can either get it removed as it is a symbol of Christianity.

Fasting begins before time for fajr prayer which is about 1.5 hours before sunrise. Get up before this time and drink plenty of water and drink lots of water at night. You can also have a light meal before time for fajr.

As Brother Yusuf Noor said make 2 rakat prayer for repentance and have the full intention to not repeat these sins. Allah is Oft-returning, Merciful.

Alhamdulillah (praise Allah) I am glad for you. Welcome back.

Strzelecki
08-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Can anyone guide me to a place I might find this Maariful Quran of the ibn Kathir Tafseer

I cant find it anywhere.
The book, you mean?
I've been looking for it to and this far no such luck.
Insha'Allah I'll let you know if I do. :)

Masha'Allah welcome back to Islam brother.
May Allah [swt] protect and continue to guide you.

Masalama,
Your bro Daniel.

:D

hungry4knowhow
08-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Greetings again Brothers!!

I have just returned from the Mosque and WOW is all I can say, I have had witness to my Shahada after the sunset prayer, and all of the brothers came up to me and shook my hand and hugged me welcoming me back. I will post more in the proper section but I am extremely happy right now and have met many new friends!

Thank you all for your help and guidance, may peace be upon all of you!

YusufNoor
08-04-2008, 03:21 AM

I cant find it anywhere.

my bad, it's Maariful Quran and then there's ibn Kathir's Tafseer.

Maariful Quran, i got mine here:

http://www.onlineislamicstore.com/b6671.html

In Sha'a Allah, i'll find an online version. iirc, there's one somewhere.

you can also use this
you can choose quite a few translations at the same same time:

http://quran.islamicnetwork.com/

if you want to search the Qur'an:

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/koran/

this site has searchable Qur'an AND Hadeeth:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/searchhadith.html

oops, it's prayer time...

hungry4knowhow
08-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Rather than fill up the board with new posts I figure I'll just keep my questions here :)

New question, I was given a gift bag at the Mosque and in the bag with my Kufi there is a gnarled stick and a bottle of non alcoholic perfume called Romance. I am wondering, there is obviously some sort of religious significance to these two items but I do not know what it is, would someone care to explain?

Thank you Brothers, Praise to Allah, may peace be upon you!

YusufNoor
08-04-2008, 04:26 AM
Rather than fill up the board with new posts I figure I'll just keep my questions here :)

New question, I was given a gift bag at the Mosque and in the bag with my Kufi there is a gnarled stick

the "gnarled stick" is most likely a miswak, it's a "natural" toothbrush. use it before prayer, it'a a Sunnah.

and a bottle of non alcoholic perfume called Romance. I am wondering, there is obviously some sort of religious significance to these two items but I do not know what it is, would someone care to explain?

always put a little perfume on before entering the Masjid, also a sunnah!

Thank you Brothers, Praise to Allah, may peace be upon you!

this site can help you learn Qur'an and du'as:

http://transliteration.org/quran/home.htm

here's an online ibn Kathir:

http://www.qtafsir.com/

TRY, if you can, to make sure that you pray Fajr at the Masjid, it has incredible reward!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.