/* */

PDA

View Full Version : World's smallest snake discovered

FatimaAsSideqah
08-05-2008, 01:12 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu and Greetings.

Its amazing to see it and it shows how is beautiful Allah's creations are.

The world's smallest snake, averaging just 10cm (4 inches) and as thin as a spaghetti noodle, has been discovered on the Caribbean island of Barbados.

The snake, found beneath a rock in a tiny fragment of threatened forest, is thought to be at the very limit of how small a snake can evolve to be.

Females produce only a single, massive egg - and the young hatch at half of their adult body weight.

This new discovery is described in the journal Zootaxa.

The snake - named Leptotyphlops carlae - is the smallest of the 3,100 known snake species and was uncovered by Dr Blair Hedges, a biologist from Penn State University, US.

"I was thrilled when I turned over that rock and found it," Dr Hedges told BBC News.

"After finding the first one, we turned hundreds of other stones to find another one."

In total, Dr Hedges and his herpetologist wife found only two females.

Defining species

Dr Hedges thinks that the snake eats termites and is endemic to this one Caribbean island. He said that, in fact, three very old specimens of this species were already in collections - one in London's Natural History Museum and two in a museum in Martinique.

However, these specimens had been misidentified.

Dr Hedges explained the difficulty in defining a new species when the organism is so small.

"Differences in small animals are much more subtle and so are frequently over-looked," he said.

Modern genetic fingerprinting is often the only way to tell species apart.

"The great thing is that DNA is as different between two small snakes as it is between two large snakes, allowing us to see the differences that we can't see by eye," explained Dr Hedges.

Researchers believe that the snake - a type of thread snake - is so rare that it has survived un-noticed until now.

But with 95% of the island of Barbados now treeless, and the few fragments of forest seriously threatened, this new species of snake might become extinct only months after it was discovered.

Smallest of the small

In contrast to other species of snake - some of which can lay up to 100 eggs in a single clutch - the world's smallest snake only produces a single egg.

"This is unusual for snakes but seems to be a feature of small animals," Dr Hedges told BBC News.

By having a single egg at a time, the snake's young are one-half the length of the adult.

Dr Hedges added that the snake's size might limit the size of its clutch.

"If a tiny snake were to have more than one offspring, each egg would have to share the same space occupied by the one egg and so the two hatchlings would be half the normal size."

The hatchlings might then be too small to find anything small enough to eat.

This has led the researchers to believe that the Barbadian snake is as small as a snake can evolve to be.

Source from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7537932.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
08-05-2008, 01:18 PM
:salamext:

Wow subhanAllah! But I think a pic of the largest wudda been more impressive :ooh: :p

:wasalamex

FatimaAsSideqah
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
:salamext:

Wow subhanAllah! But I think a pic of the largest wudda been more impressive :ooh: :p

:wasalamex
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Its might be happening in the future, Insha'Allah!

hafizbilal
08-06-2008, 05:03 PM
wow thats pretty cool, i once found a little snake like insect in a date, put me off them for the rest of ramadan lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FatimaAsSideqah
08-06-2008, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizbilal
wow thats pretty cool, i once found a little snake like insect in a date, put me off them for the rest of ramadan lol
Wa Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Oh really? Loq. where is it now? Put the little snake in the safe place now?

north_malaysian
08-07-2008, 03:16 AM
is it poisonous? If it's not... I think it's the only snake that I can keep as a pet...:D

arabianprincess
08-07-2008, 03:22 AM
subhan allah ... but scary imagin they go into ur clothes with out u knowin n tryin to get it out ,,, n since its soo small u cant .. geez thats scary

salam wa 3lykom

Nawal89
08-07-2008, 03:28 AM
its reallly cute. does it bite?

north_malaysian
08-07-2008, 03:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
its reallly cute. does it bite?
yeah...snakes are supposed to have fangs right?

ever wonder if this snake fell into fried noodle and you eat it along with those noodles....

the colour is just the same...

Souljette
08-07-2008, 09:18 AM
:sl:
Ew but Subhanallah I also wonder if it's poisonous I'd like to keep it in my hand for a while

:w:

FatimaAsSideqah
08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette
:sl:
Ew but Subhanallah I also wonder if it's poisonous I'd like to keep it in my hand for a while

:w:
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I don't think so, sister. Its too small to bite and I think it is not poisonous as well.

It looks very cute and I would take it to be my pet! :thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.