/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Permissibility of expressing feelings of agony in Serious Illness

FatimaAsSideqah
08-05-2008, 06:19 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Chapter 149

914. Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I visited the Prophet ({PBUH) while he was suffering. I said: "(O Messenger of Allah!) You suffer too much.'' He said, "Yes, I suffer as much as two men of you.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith also throws light on the fact that the Prophet (PBUH) was merely a human being. Besides, it tells us that one is at liberty to speak of one's suffering.

915. Sa`d bin Abu Waqqas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) came to visit me when I had a severe pain. I said: "I am suffering from such trouble as you are observing. I am a wealthy man and the only heir of mine is my daughter.'' (Then Sa`d narrated the whole incident). [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

916. Al-Qasim bin Muhammad reported `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) said: "Oh, my head.'' (It was hurting due to pain.) Thereupon the Prophet (PBUH) said, "Rather it is I who says: `Oh, my headache.''' (Then Al-Qasim narrated the complete narration). [Al-Bukhari].

Commentary: `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) had a headache and she told the Prophet (PBUH) about it. He said, "My head too is splitting with pain.'' This means that a man can express the intensity of his pain and suffering, provided he has no intention to complain against the Will of Allah and point out his sorrow and frustration. Al-Qasim bin Muhammad bin Abu Bakr, the reporter of this Hadith, was `Aishah's nephew and one of the seven distinguished jurists of Al-Madinah.

Source from http://abdurrahman.org/seerah/riyad/06/chap149.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Patience7
08-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Jazakallah khair sister ...my grandfather often expresses his sufferings and i've always asked myself if it's something bad to do so...

FatimaAsSideqah
08-05-2008, 09:51 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

^

Its good to let your feelings out and it is important to let people that whoever feels pain then they will help, Insha'Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.