/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Laughter threatens woman's health

FatimaAsSideqah
08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu and Greetings.

A Lincoln-based student wants to raise awareness about a condition which could paralyse her if she gets the giggles.

Kay Underwood, 20, of Barrow Upon Soar, Leicestershire, has cataplexy, which means her muscles weaken when she laughs, causing her to fall over.

The University of Lincoln architecture student has in the past collapsed 40 times in a single day.

She said many people think that she is joking when her condition does make her fall over.

Emotion cause

Ms Underwood was diagnosed as having cataplexy a year ago, but believes she has had it for about four or five years.

She said: "I think a lot of people, if I've told them about it and they've not seen it, would quite like to see me do it (collapse), so they try to make me laugh.

"Quite a few people have thought I'm still strange and 'Is she making it up?'

"And if I collapse a lot of people have thought I'm just putting it on."

Cataplexy is a sudden weakening of the muscles brought on by strong emotions like excitement or anger, but Ms Underwood's condition is triggered by laughter.

Her condition also includes narcolepsy, which means she can experience sudden bouts of sleepiness.

Doctors are not quite sure what causes it, but it may be hereditary.

Ms Underwood has shown some improvement after being referred to Leicester General Hospital's sleep disorders service and a course of medication.

She now hopes to get back her driving licence, which she had to surrender on health grounds.

Source from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7543327.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
martinijames
08-07-2008, 05:02 AM
Hormones do effect the GI tract, so people often notice differences in the IBS around their period and it can be different with birth control. Sometimes it is better on hormonal birth control sometimes worse or just a difference in what symptoms they have.

When they surveyed women that do not have IBS or other GI disorders it is common for them to have some GI symptoms around the time of their period.

Ovarian Cysts A to Z

extinction
08-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Wow, that is some medical condition.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-07-2008, 09:36 AM
mashaAllaah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bewildred
08-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Absurdity DOES exist. I've never heard anything more phalo-centric than this sooooooo called study. Would the woman's hormons become her yellow star????????

Muezzin
08-24-2008, 07:18 PM
If I ever see that woman, I will endeavour not to make her laugh.

Pretty easy to do. Just have to tell a joke.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.