/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Beijing 2008!

Ali.
08-07-2008, 03:08 PM
:sl:

I hope you are all doing well. Anyway, insha'Allah on this thread we can discuss the Beijing 2008 Olympics! It starts tomorrow: 08/08/08, at midday GMT I think, and me personally, I cannot wait. In specific I would like to watch all the running events (Mens ones...), more specifically the 100m (Usain Bolt [current world record holder], Asafa Powell & Tyson Gay all could be running the same race!)

Hopefully some of ya'll can watch it, and we can have some deep discussions tomorrow on insha'Allah :shade:.

Official Site.

:w:

EDIT: Any news about the Olympics, whether it be records broken or, Allah forbid insha'Allah, injuries to good competitors, please post!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sahabiyaat
08-08-2008, 11:03 AM
i wonder what the opening ceremony will be like

Sahabiyaat
08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
just to add, i think by allowing China to host the Olympics, America is saying If you behave, theres plenty more where that came from lol.

Sahabiyaat
08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
omgggg
is anyone watching the opening ceremony??

its AMAZINGGGGGGGGGG

totally mind blowing!

the chinese are the best when it comes to mobilising man power

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jannat
08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
saalam,

the opening ceremony is spectacular!!WOW!!
Mashallah loads of muslim countries present. Good luck to them all, esp PAKISTAN AND ENGLAND!

Brother_Mujahid
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
That roar for when pakistan entered was funny, hehe

The lighting of the big torch was amazing.

jannat
08-08-2008, 04:45 PM
cant really remember, was there a roar, I hope they win the hockey inshallah!!and i hope rodger feder wins tennis .Ameen.

Whatsthepoint
08-08-2008, 05:29 PM
The opening ceremony was very good. The lightning of the torch was the best part.

Re.TiReD
08-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Urgh my brothers are glued to this...:skeleton:

FatimaAsSideqah
08-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Wow that was amazing and I love the lighting of the torch!! Thats so beautiful to see.

Come on Great Britain team! :thumbs_up

FatimaAsSideqah
08-08-2008, 06:06 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

To brother Ali, do you mind me to post something bit extra of news?

First Muslim Woman in Olympic Board

BEIJING — Moroccan Olympic gold medalist Nawal El Moutawakel has become the first Muslim woman elected to the powerful executive board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

"I feel very honored to be a member of this big family," El Moutawakel said following her election on Thursday, August 7, reported Reuters.

El Moutawakel won her seat unopposed after her two contenders withdrew from the race.

The Muslim Olympian got 85 votes in favor and 12 against from 97 valid votes.

"Thank you very much for the trust you are putting in me," she said.

"I assure you I will give my full commitment to work in this wonderful family and to protect the Olympic ideals."

The 15-member IOC board is responsible for setting the Olympic agenda.

It meets four times a year and can ban athletes from Games for doping offences.

El Moutawakel fills an unofficial vacancy for a female member on the board as IOC vice president Gunilla Lindberg of Sweden is leaving the board after her four-year term expired.

The IOC set a goal in 1996 of having women make up 20 percent of the membership.

As of today, only 16 of the 110 members are women, six short of the target.

Muslim Olympian

Born in April 1962, El Moutawakel made history at the 1984 Olympics, becoming the first Muslim woman to a gold medal in the 400 meters hurdles.

In honor of her win, Moroccan King Mohamed VI declared that all girls born in the day of her victory were to be named after her.

In 1995, El Moutawakel became a council member of the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF).

Three years later, the US-educated became a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

In 2006, El Moutawakel was one of the eight flag bearers at the 2006 Opening Ceremony.

In 2007, El Moutawakel was named Minister of Sports in the Moroccan cabinet.

El Moutawakel has also become a president of the evaluation commission for the selection of the host city for the 2012 Olympic Games.
Source from http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

Ali.
08-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, as other people have said the opening ceremony was absolutely spectacular; the Chinese are really creative.

format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah

To brother Ali, do you mind me to post something bit extra of news?

Not at all. That goes for everyone aswell, any news about the olympics, please share!

Two new olympic records for swimming have been broken; if I remember correctly they were: 100m Breaststroke for men, and the Men relay!

FatimaAsSideqah
08-09-2008, 02:37 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

China is top of table for medals for now.

China had 2 gold medals
USA had 1 gold medal, 1 silver medal and 1 bronze medal
Korea had 1 gold medal and 1 silver medal.

I cant see any of medals for Great Britain yet, but its still early days.

Nájlá
08-09-2008, 02:39 PM
the opening was really good

some pics

Sahabiyaat
08-09-2008, 03:27 PM
^ woooowww :D

i enjoyed the drum beating in the beginnig, and did anyone see the fireworks in the shape of footsteps advancing towards the stadium in the sky, with the final foot shaped firework landing ontop of the birds nest :D that was THE BEST idea, even better than the torch lighting!

we only cheered when england and pakistan came in lol.

palestine only had 4 competitors :(

I watched nearly all of the competitors parade.It was funny when Iran and Iraq came in and they put the camera on George Bush! he was sulking in the corner lol.

FatimaAsSideqah
08-09-2008, 03:41 PM
^ it is not England. It is Great Britain included England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all are the part of Great Britain. :D

Come on Great Britain.

Na7lah
08-12-2008, 03:00 AM
i missed the openin ceremony :(

BlackMamba
08-12-2008, 04:08 AM
USA Basketball is unstoppable. Kobe!!

AvarAllahNoor
08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Sikh won a gold for India (spits) but hey he's a Sikh and Sikhs alone are any good in a population billions of stupid cow worshipers! - Also lots of SIkhs representing Canada! Whooo Hooo

AvarAllahNoor
08-12-2008, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah
^ it is not England. It is Great Britain included England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all are the part of Great Britain. :D

Come on Great Britain.
Currently GB is 7th in the chart table. WE NEED MORE GOLD SO WE CAN AT LEAST BE 2ND OR 3RD! WE MUST BEAT THOSE ANIMALS US OF A! (Who are at 3rd place) :)

AvarAllahNoor
08-12-2008, 12:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najla93
the opening was really good

some pics

It was nice, however China has addmited to using CGI to enhance the firework display. Still awesome!

Germanrose20
08-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Masha'Allah for those beautiful pics!! I missed the opening ceremony, but i saw the swimming, the equestrian and some of the water polo events. Its exciting!!

Na7lah
08-12-2008, 05:56 PM
did China take the gold for the men's jimnastics?

Keltoi
08-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Americans usually excell in swimming, track and field, gymnatics and other individual events. It was fun watching Phelps win his races. Americans just wish there was a football event. :)

I've been impressed by the Chinese this Olympics. Granted, they have an athlete system not too unlike that of the Soviets, but still very impressive so far.

Na7lah
08-12-2008, 06:03 PM
China's has the most gold medals

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/EN...L0000000.shtml

Keltoi
08-12-2008, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
Actually they don't any more. The U.S. has 22 and the Chinese have 20.

Na7lah
08-12-2008, 06:14 PM
oh my bad ^

Keltoi
08-12-2008, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
oh my bad ^
Actually it was my bad. The Chinese have 2 more gold medals, the U.S. just has more overall medals. I misread your post.

AvarAllahNoor
08-12-2008, 06:44 PM
gold matters more! We want gold great britain hurry do not let me down!

Na7lah
08-12-2008, 06:49 PM
lol i'm not cheerin for anyone but its fun to watch :D

chacha_jalebi
08-12-2008, 06:51 PM
has pakistan won anythin yet lol....

Keltoi
08-12-2008, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
I don't think so, but their best bet looks like hockey, believe it or not.

Muezzin
08-12-2008, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I believe it.

If Kabadi were an Olympic sport, Pakistan, India and Kashmir would be able to solve all their problems through crazy British Bulldog shenanigans. Peace would reign in the region. And can you imagine the medal giving ceremony?

Re.TiReD
08-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm sure they didnt win the honkey one? :skeleton: huh?

Oh well *falls back asleep again*

chacha_jalebi
08-12-2008, 09:13 PM
if they cricket in the olympics.. then oooo yeaah! :D pakistan probly wudda won

professional kabaddi is +o( hairy oiled up men taggin you :muddlehea

prayer room kabaddi is much better :D

Germanrose20
08-16-2008, 06:22 AM
What's Kabaddi? I never heard of it!

waji
08-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Pakistan lost very crucial match with Australia in hockey so i think they may be out of gold medal race
so there will be no medal for Pakistan this Olympics

There is a talk about allowing 2020 format of cricket in Olympics and London 2012 will be a good stage for it

I don't know why Squash is not allowed in Olympics, Maybe they are afraid of Pakistan's Khan specially
Jahangir Khan
His Five-year unbeaten run is bigger than any Olympic medal

Islamic Brother
08-16-2008, 08:29 AM
I WISH THE ARABIC AND ISLAMIC STATES WOULD GET TO BE ATLEAST IN TOP 20s

EGYPT WON A BRONZE IN JUDU

WE COULDVE WON GERMANY , DENMARK , AND RUSSIA AT HANDBALL IF THE STUPID REFEREES DIDNT HAT EGYPT!!! .....THEYRE AFRAID OF US WE RULE AT HANDBALL!!!!!

Islamic Brother
08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamic brother
i wish the arabic and islamic states would get to be atleast in top 20s

egypt won a bronze in judu

we couldve won germany , denmark , and russia at handball if the stupid referees didnt hat egypt!!! .....theyre afraid of us we rule at handball!!!!!
i meant hate egypt not hat lol!!!

FatimaAsSideqah
08-16-2008, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Currently GB is 7th in the chart table. WE NEED MORE GOLD SO WE CAN AT LEAST BE 2ND OR 3RD! WE MUST BEAT THOSE ANIMALS US OF A! (Who are at 3rd place) :)
Its seem getting better! Insha'Allah.

جوري
08-17-2008, 04:00 AM
incredible 8 golds and world record for phelps.. what an amazing athlete...

Noddy
08-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Pakistan haven't won any medal as of yet and i highly doubt they will leave any sort of medal. I did catch the Pakistan GB hockey match which was unbearable to watch, Pakistan were outplayed from the start.

BlackMamba
08-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Did you see the 100m track and field. Usain Bolt of Jamaica coulda got like 9.30 sceonds, but with 20m left he started celebrating and he finished at 9.69, which still killed the previous world record. But I mean, why did he slow down, he coulda had the record forever.

Keltoi
08-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Its harder than it seems to put an Olympic gold medal quality team together, much less find a gold medal winning individual athlete. Pakistan shouldn't feel bad, as Canada had many more athletes in the Olympics and haven't won a medal either.

north_malaysian
08-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Malaysia just won a silver in badminton (men's single) last nite.... China is just so powerful... plus too many Chinese supporters in the stadium...:cry:

crayon
08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
WOAH.
I was just searching for something about Bahrain in the olympics, and I saw a name that looked familiar, so I clicked on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sameera_Al_Bitar

I used to go to school with her! She lived in the same area as me as well, so we used to go to and from school on the bus together everyday, and talk the entire time. She used to be a great swimmer but I didn't think she'd actually go to the olympics! And she's only a year older than me! Apparently she was at the 04 olympics as well, in greece. This is so cool, lol.

Her page on the olympics website:http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/EN.../8003821.shtml

Güven
08-20-2008, 01:51 PM
MashAllah !, Who would have imagined To see your Old Friends In The Big OLYMPICS :)

jannat
08-20-2008, 01:54 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Noddy
Pakistan haven't won any medal as of yet and i highly doubt they will leave any sort of medal. I did catch the Pakistan GB hockey match which was unbearable to watch, Pakistan were outplayed from the start.

i missed it!! so pakistan out!!!
if was cricket they probably would win, aww and rogder federer lost the gold!!what a shame, oh well.. Best wishes to everyone!

UmmSqueakster
08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Bahraini (actually, legitimately from Bahrain, not a bought and "converted to islam" kenyan) runner Ruqaya al Ghassra did not make it past the semi finals today :laugh:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackandf...200/index.html

I wrote a bit about her yesterday on my blog - http://rahma.hadithuna.com/ruqaya/

Uthman
08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
WOAH.
I was just searching for something about Bahrain in the olympics, and I saw a name that looked familiar, so I clicked on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sameera_Al_Bitar

I used to go to school with her! She lived in the same area as me as well, so we used to go to and from school on the bus together everyday, and talk the entire time. She used to be a great swimmer but I didn't think she'd actually go to the olympics! And she's only a year older than me! Apparently she was at the 04 olympics as well, in greece. This is so cool, lol.

Her page on the olympics website:http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/EN.../8003821.shtml
Wow, that's weird! I hope she does well.

Whatsthepoint
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Afghanistan won their first medal!

Keltoi
08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Afghanistan won their first medal!
That is cool. In what?

bewildred
08-20-2008, 03:29 PM
There's this hot Tunisian swimmer, El Mellouli, who won the gold medal in the 1500 m in swimming. Yay!!!!!!

al Amaanah
08-20-2008, 03:33 PM
huh?

Sahabiyaat
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
my dad actually predicted that pakistan were not going to win anything this year and i told him not to be so harsh..........i change my mind :skeleton:

Whatsthepoint
08-20-2008, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
There's this hot Tunisian swimmer, El Mellouli, who won the gold medal in the 1500 m in swimming. Yay!!!!!!
I watched that. Everyone expected Hackett to win the race, but this guy sped up the last couple of lengths.

Güven
08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
That is cool. In what?
Taekwondo lol They Got Bronze :)

Güven
08-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Turkey only Has 4 medals
and Holland Has 13
But what is egypt Doin, They have got alot of athletics But dont win much, dont they ?

Ali.
08-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Bolt has broken 2 WR's! 100m & 200m, what a guy.

^Yeah, Egypt have pop. of 80million and has got one bronze medal, strange don't you think? Lol.

north_malaysian
08-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Muslim Majority Countries' Medal Tally in Beijing Olympic Games 2008 (as at 20.08.2008) (Gold, Silver, Bronze)

1. Kazakhstan (1, 3, 4)
2. Azerbaijan (1, 2, 2)
3. Turkey (1, 2, 1)
4. Indonesia (1, 1, 3)
5. Bahrain (1, 0, 0)
6. Tunisia (1, 0, 0)
7. Uzbekistan (0, 2, 3)
8. Algeria (0, 1, 1)
9. Kyrgyzstan (0, 1, 1)
10. Malaysia (0, 1, 0)
11. Afghanistan (0, 0, 1)
12. Egypt (0, 0, 1)
13. Iran (0, 0, 1)
14. Morocco (0, 0, 1)
15. Tajikistan (0, 0, 1)

north_malaysian
08-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Muslim Gold Medalists in 2008 Olympic Games (as at 20.08.2008)

1. Elnur Mammaddli (Azerbaijan) - Judo
2. Nazyr Mankiev (Russia) - Wrestling
3. Islam-Beka Albiev (Russia) - Wrestling
4. Aslanbek Khushtov (Russia) - Wrestling
5. Oussama Mellouli (Tunisia) - Swimming
6. Rashid Ramzi (Bahrain) - Athletics
7. Ramazan Sahin (Turkey) - Wrestling
8. Buvaysa Saytiev (Russia) - Wrestling
9. Mavlet Batirov (Russia) - Wrestling
10. Ilya Ilin (Kazakhstan) - Weightlifting

BlackMamba
08-21-2008, 06:30 AM
What's gonna happen in 2012 in London? The olympics will be in Ramadan Inshallah. And 1/4 of the countries that usually compete are Muslim nations.

crayon
08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian

Wow, lots of russians, mashallah.

Sahabiyaat
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
What's gonna happen in 2012 in London? The olympics will be in Ramadan Inshallah. And 1/4 of the countries that usually compete are Muslim nations.
uh oh :blind:

waji
08-21-2008, 12:05 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian

WoW all medals in fighting style except two
and
WoW western media hasn't noticed that till now
Muslims knows how to fight :D:D:D:D:D:D

Whatsthepoint
08-21-2008, 01:22 PM
That's rather inconvenient.
But, hey, look at this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakeem_Olajuwon
Olajuwon was still recognized as one of the league's elite centers despite his strict observance of Ramadan (e.g., abstaining from food and drink during daylight hours for about a month), which occurred during virtually every season of his career.

Whatsthepoint
08-22-2008, 04:21 PM
And anyway, I don't think a lot of people in countries like Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan, Russia etc observe Ramadan.

Al-Zaara
08-23-2008, 07:51 AM
In Azerbaijan yes, the least. But that doesn't mean those that are competing will observe the fast. It's up to the individual. Just 'cause the majority in the country the person comes from do fast doesn't mean the one competing does it aswell.

We'll just see what happens if are able to..

Al-Zaara
08-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Did ya all see how that Cuban taekwondo fighter named Matos kicked the judge? I mean c'mon! That's really pathetic.

Güven
08-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah I Just Read ABout That , He and His Coach has a Lifetime Disqualification , I heard

Al-Zaara
08-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Yup, of all WTF-promoted championships it is.

BlackMamba
08-24-2008, 06:05 PM
USA Basketball won!

I think Pakistan and Bangladesh are the two most populous countries that did not manage to get a single medal, very sad.

Güven
08-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Beijing 2008 Is About To end Isnt It ?
I saw The Ending Ceremony :D

Kas1m
08-24-2008, 06:37 PM
USA Basketball won!

I think Pakistan and Bangladesh are the two most populous countries that did not manage to get a single medal, very sad.
Well its been 60 years of pakistan but they are stuck at lesson one: getting over politics lol

Whatsthepoint
08-24-2008, 07:52 PM
USA Basketball won!

On the other hand, Jamaica with a population no more than 2,7 million, managed to win plenty.

BlackMamba
08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Ya but they had Usain Bolt, who's like a freak of nature. The guy is amazing he got 3 gold medals

Ansariyah
08-24-2008, 08:37 PM
It was nice watching Usa VS Brazil Voleyball..I wanted Brazil to Win..

Güven
08-24-2008, 09:04 PM
^Yeah I watched That Too lol , I wanted Brasil too win either :(

Chechen
08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Wow, lots of russians, mashallah.
They're not Russians. Nazyr Mankiev, Islam-Beka Albiev and Buvaysa Saytiev are Chechens. Mavlet Batirov is Dagestani and Aslanbek Khushtov is Kabardino-Balkarian. So most of the medals the Russians have is because of Chechens and other Caucasians. And Ramazan Sahin who is fighting for Turkey is Chechen aswell by the way, his real name is Ramzan Irbayhanov. :D

north_malaysian
08-26-2008, 05:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechen
They're not Russians. Nazyr Mankiev, Islam-Beka Albiev and Buvaysa Saytiev are Chechens. Mavlet Batirov is Dagestani and Aslanbek Khushtov is Kabardino-Balkarian. So most of the medals the Russians have is because of Chechens and other Caucasians. And Ramazan Sahin who is fighting for Turkey is Chechen aswell by the way, his real name is Ramzan Irbayhanov. :D
if chechnya is an independent nation.... it would have 4 gold medals then...wow

Ansariyah
08-29-2008, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechen
thats what I thought too. tnks 4 clearing it up.:sunny:

Chechen
09-01-2008, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
thats what I thought too. tnks 4 clearing it up.:sunny:
No problem:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.