/* */

PDA

View Full Version : two moon sightings?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
08-09-2008, 02:36 PM
:sl:

did anyone else get a text that said there is going to be two moon sightings on the 27th august according to the bbc :S im confused :S wil someone please explain? jazakallah..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FatimaAsSideqah
08-09-2008, 02:41 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I haven't heard any about this unusual news. I think it might be hoax.

Whatsthepoint
08-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah, me too.
It's possible to see multiple moons (Jupiter moons) on a clear night using binoculars, if your sight is sharp enough you may even see them with a naked eye.

Re.TiReD
08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Intwesting.....anyone wanna join me in a spot of moon-watching?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
08-09-2008, 08:31 PM
you have a telescope?

FatimaAsSideqah
08-09-2008, 08:32 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I've been looked up any information about it at the website and some of it said it might hoax?? :?

Re.TiReD
08-09-2008, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
you have a telescope?
Does super-sonic eyesight suffice? :D

MustafaMc
08-09-2008, 08:38 PM
I did a google search and found:

An email that has circulated during July and August for several years is again hitting inboxes in 2007. The message informs recipients that the planet Mars will be passing very close to Earth in August. While this information was valid back in 2003, it is totally inaccurate for 2007.

Fishman
08-09-2008, 08:41 PM
This is probably fake. In 2003, 27th of August, Mars made a very close pass. In good viewing conditions it outshone every object in the night sky except the Moon and Venus. The BBC has an article about it here.

A few years later, either 2006 or 2007, some idiot read the story but didn't bother to read the date. They started posting about it on internet forums, and others picked it up. Somebody also changed the reports of Mars' brightness, probably by misreading ''outshining any other celestial body except the Moon and Venus'' as ''outshining any other celestial body including the Moon and Venus''. The rumours are obviously still in circulation.

It is possible to see two full moons in one month of the solar calendar. The extra one is called a 'blue moon'.

MustafaMc
08-09-2008, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
It is possible to see two full moons in one month of the solar calendar. The extra one is called a 'blue moon'.
I have often wondered what a "blue moon" is - now I know, thanks.

جوري
08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
Does super-sonic eyesight suffice? :D
no that sucks.. I don't want to see vicariously.. what is the point in that..
p.s
I always knew what once in a blue moon meant..
I used to have a worthless website which I can no longer find that explained the meaning behind those every day expressions
like 'I saw the writing on the wall'
or because 'Bob is his uncle'
or 'once in a blue moon'

wish I can find it again.. imsad

Re.TiReD
08-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Ahhh...And now I knowww....Hmm all makes sense now :D

Fishman
08-09-2008, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I have often wondered what a "blue moon" is - now I know, thanks.
'Once in a blue moon' may come from the fact that blue moons don't happen very often.

After Krakatoa erupted in the 1800s, the sun and moon appeared very strange all over the world due to the huge amounts of volcanic ash in the atmosphere. In some areas of the world, the moon actually turned blue, which might be another origin of the phrase.
Source

Whatsthepoint
08-09-2008, 09:12 PM
no that sucks.. I don't want to see vicariously.. what is the point in that..
p.s
I used to have a worthless website which I can no longer find that explained the meaning behind those every day expressions
like 'I saw the writing on the wall'
or because 'Bob is his uncle'
or 'once in a blue moon'

wish I can find it again.. imsad

Hehe, I never heard any of these till now.
Finding a website ain't that hard..

جوري
08-09-2008, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Hehe, I never heard any of these till now.
Finding a website ain't that hard..
you'd be surprised just how hard..for instance the three years I wasted looking for the complicated water clock which had 12 brass balls that struck the hour by falling on a cymbal and 12 carved horsemen which came out of little windows striking for each hour behind them given to charlemagne by Harun al'rachid...

peace

Re.TiReD
08-10-2008, 02:24 PM
you'd be surprised just how hard..for instance the three years I wasted looking for the complicated water clock which had 12 brass balls that struck the hour by falling on a cymbal and 12 carved horsemen which came out of little windows striking for each hour behind them given to charlemagne by Harun al'rachid...

peace
Oh...erm I totally understood that post sis :blind: :D

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-10-2008, 02:29 PM

On the other hand, people can catch the Perseid Meteor Shower on August 12th, the darkest hours before the dawn. It sounds like it's going to be amazing:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...erseiddawn.htm

Al-Zaara
08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Selam aleykum,

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad

On the other hand, people can catch the Perseid Meteor Shower on August 12th, the darkest hours before the dawn. It sounds like it's going to be amazing:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...erseiddawn.htm
:bump:

InshaAllah I'll see it! Well, I'd be really happy if I did.

Pk_#2
08-12-2008, 06:43 PM

peace
Is it this one

http://www.joe-ks.com/phrases/phrases.htm

Anyhow...Two moons, that wud be cool.

Fishman
08-12-2008, 08:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Da'watul-Allaah
Anyhow...Two moons, that wud be cool.
Mars has two moons, but they look like grey spuds with holes in them...
Phobos (Greek for 'fear'):

Deimos (Greek for 'dread'):

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.