/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim school 'may have to close'

Uthman
08-09-2008, 02:41 PM
A Muslim school for girls in Oxford may be forced to close because it cannot afford to stay open.

The Iqra Girls' School needed to raise £2m by the end of July to buy the building it currently rents.

Hanna Khan, 16, said its closure would be the end of her education because she does not want to attend mixed classes.

The school is in talks with the council to become voluntary-aided, meaning its governing body would decide admissions but it would be state-funded.

About 20% of English state schools are voluntary-aided, with links to the Church of England or the Roman Catholic Church.

If worse comes to worse, I'll have to send my daughter home to Pakistan, which I don't want to

Khalid Khan
Parent

Hanna, who wants to become a doctor or a vet, said: "If I didn't have this school, then that is really it for me. "It's this school or nothing for me. That would be the end of my education."

Parents said they were looking at other options for their daughters, including schooling them at home, or sending them abroad.

"I am really worried, I don't know yet," parent Anwar Hussain said about his daughter.

"Maybe she goes to a new boarding school, or maybe I'll send her to Bangladesh, I don't know."

Another parent, Khalid Khan, said: "If worse comes to worse, I'll have to send my daughter home to Pakistan, which I don't want to."

The Iqra Girls' School was set up in 2003 after the closure of the last all-girls state school in Oxford.

It provides national curriculum subjects as well as Islamic studies within an Islamic environment.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sahabiyaat
08-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Pakistan :muddlehea

How is that going to make things better!

Why are the parents being so radical!, If their paying for their daughters education, they can just send them to another islamic fee paying school.

The school is in talks with the council to become voluntary-aided, meaning its governing body would decide admissions but it would be state-funded.
This is an okay option for the school rather than closing down altogether .Would being state funded mean losing control of admissions or more?

Whatsthepoint
08-09-2008, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
A Muslim school for girls in Oxford may be forced to close because it cannot afford to stay open.Hanna Khan, 16, said its closure would be the end of her education because she does not want to attend mixed classes.
If her ambitions are to become a doctor or a vet her dislike of mixed classes could pose a problem. Are there any single sex universities in the UK?

Sahabiyaat
08-09-2008, 04:17 PM
not at all
otherwise i would have gone

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
08-09-2008, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
If her ambitions are to become a doctor or a vet her dislike of mixed classes could pose a problem. Are there any single sex universities in the UK?
I was thinking the same.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.