/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Unveiling truth behind Islam

Uthman
08-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Religion is not spread by the sword, Islamic doctor Nasser Shehata told the crowd at Palmerston North's convention centre yesterday.

Speaking as part of Islam awareness week, Mr Shehata implored the gathered listeners to ignore the negative stereotypes of Islam often pushed since September 11.

"The core of Islam, as well as Christianity, is tolerance and forgiveness," he said. "Love your neighbours - love your enemies, even."

The common misperception that Islam preaches violence is totally against anything written the The Qu'ran, or word of god, he said.

One of the major pieces of innaccurate information surrounds the notion of jiihad. "There are two types of jiihad. One is 'major jiihad' - the struggle against our own whims and desires, evil things like lust and greed. To be a good citizen you must control your desires."

The other jiihad, known as "minor jiihad", concerns the use of violence in self defence - a collective effort, if someone is trying to oppress a community.

It is not up to one person to claim a war against other citizens, or commit random killings - this is totally against everything Islam stands for, Mr Shehata said.

"Some followers will take the message without knowledge - if you take it without a deeper understanding, you will err. It is not for individuals to take matters into their own hands."

"Islam ia a religion which preaches peace and coexistence, as it has always been throughout history."

Media bias when reporting on Islamic issues has not helped, he said.

"If a criminal of any other faith commits a crime, they [the media] would not say - a Christian man, or a Christian woman did this."

But Palmerston North has a good attitude towards Muslims, and New Zealand as a country is much more accepting than some others, Mr Shehata said.

"New Zealand has the worldwide notion that it is tolerant and open- minded, and not taking a stance against any parties."

Muslim community member Haba Hagazi spoke on the role of women in Islam, saying the basic principle of the Hijab, or veil, is modesty.

"It is not a cultural practice, it is an essential part of our religion. People think we might wear it to intimidate or annoy or something, but actually it is very important."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Questfortruth
08-13-2008, 07:14 PM
"The core of Islam, as well as Christianity, is tolerance and forgiveness," he said. "Love your neighbours - love your enemies, even."
Alot of people die around the world not because of religion. This is a very wrong understanding around the world. Majority of the people around the world die because of nationalism or racism (secularism).

One of the major pieces of innaccurate information surrounds the notion of jiihad. "There are two types of jiihad. One is 'major jiihad' - the struggle against our own whims and desires, evil things like lust and greed. To be a good citizen you must control your desires."

The other jiihad, known as "minor jiihad", concerns the use of violence in self defence - a collective effort, if someone is trying to oppress a community.
I heard scholars say that the hadeeth about Jihad on battlefield being minor is actually a weak hadeeth. If you die fighting Jihad on your nafs you are not a martyr. But if you die on the battlefield you are a martyr that gets Jannah firdous and other rewards.

"Some followers will take the message without knowledge - if you take it without a deeper understanding, you will err. It is not for individuals to take matters into their own hands."
British Mullahs!

"If a criminal of any other faith commits a crime, they [the media] would not say - a Christian man, or a Christian woman did this."
Because Christian man does not kill in the name of Christianity. Where muslim kills in the name of Islam screaming "Allahuakbar" till death.

"It is not a cultural practice, it is an essential part of our religion. People think we might wear it to intimidate or annoy or something, but actually it is very important."
Most muslim women I know who wear NOT a veil rather a headscarf do it because its cultural.

energy_22
08-14-2008, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
The other jiihad....concerns the use of violence in self defence - a collective effort, if someone is trying to oppress a community.
I am wondering if "self defence" explains the violence by Phillipino muslims, Thailand muslims and Chinese muslims.

I note that in China the Tibetans want independane and use peaceful means to protest. How about the Chinese muslims?

-

Uthman
08-14-2008, 05:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by energy_22
I am wondering if "self defence" explains the violence by Phillipino muslims, Thailand muslims and Chinese muslims.

I note that in China the Tibetans want independane and use peaceful means to protest. How about the Chinese muslims?

-
No, I don't suppose it is self defence. What's your point?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KAding
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
No, I don't suppose it is self defence. What's your point?
I would agrue that it is self-defence. But obviously even if you're in your right to resist that does not mean that all means are allowed.

Questfortruth
08-14-2008, 02:40 PM

-
Islam has both defensive and offensive Jihad. The world thinks sanctions is the only way to bring down a dictator. How about United States Of America?

energy_22
08-15-2008, 03:28 AM
What's your point?

The article says that Islam is a religion of peace.

In Thailand and the Phillipines, Muslims have been living there for a few centuries. Their desire for an islamic stste is religious and not political.

They each have used violence to achieve their aims.

As the issue us religious they must be using religion as a basis for their actions.

"Islam is a religion of peace" is not borne out by their actions.
-

Uthman
08-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi energy_22,

The article says that Islam is a religion of peace.
Ok.

In Thailand and the Phillipines, Muslims have been living there for a few centuries.
Ok.

Their desire for an islamic stste is religious and not political.
How do you know?

They each have used violence to achieve their aims.
Some of them have used violence. What do you think their aims were?

As the issue us religious they must be using religion as a basis for their actions.
Not necessarily. Do you think that their actions are sanctioned by Islam?

"Islam is a religion of peace" is not borne out by their actions.
Agreed.

Fishman
08-15-2008, 09:57 PM
-
:sl:
Violence by Chinese Uighur Muslims is in self-defense. They are oppressed quite harshly by Chinese authorities, because the government sees their religious activities as being part of their ethnic identity and doesn't want to risk the country being split. Unlike the Hui Muslims, who are Chinese people that converted to Islam, the Uighurs still feel a lot of the old Communist anti-religious measures.
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.