/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Suicide Bomber novel censored by Muslims"

Nirvana
08-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Thought this article might be of interest:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2546...Max-Malik.html

An author who won last year's Muslim Writer of the Year Award has claimed his new book was "censored" from this year's competition because it tackled subjects "unpalatable" to Britain's Islamic community like suicide bombings and paedophilia.

Novelist Dr Max Malik said even though his book was one of just five novels short-listed for this year's award, The Butterfly Hunter was never given to the judges to read.

The Muslim Writers Awards, which aim to unearth undiscovered talent, has received the backing of Gordon Brown.

But Dr Malik said he thought his book had been cast aside to appease parts of the Muslim community.

The organisers of the awards have admitted the judges never got the chance to read the book, even though it was short-listed, but could not explain why.

Dr Malik, a former GP from Birmingham, said he was "angry" at the apparent censorship.

He said: "My creative effort is being treated as if it is somehow unclean and unworthy. Clearly, the Muslim Writers Awards has decided that the novel is so unpalatable for them that it needs to be buried.

"I'm deeply dismayed that a project like this, which is supposed to unearth new talent and celebrate artistic expression, has been hijacked by the puritan mindset. Yes it's true that not all the Muslim characters in my book are model citizens. However, this is just a reflection of the realities we face today."
For further details you can check out the writer's website at www.thebutterflyhunter.net

It gives you an idea about the story (plus some other stories he's written). Doesn't really seem *that* controversial.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Just to show the other side of the story, in case people don't read the article:

He added: "It's unseemly that my novel is being treated as if it's the second coming of The Satanic Verses. I have created a work of fiction, which is neither blasphemous nor disrespectful towards any particular group or individual."

Last year Dr Malik was awarded the title for a collection of non-fiction writing, poetry and plays.

This year's awards attracted over 10,000 submissions and guests of honour at the ceremony included the singer Jermaine Jackson and Baroness Warsi, the shadow minister for community cohesion.

Imran Akram, chief executive of the 2008 awards, said: "Dr Malik's submission was certainly one of the best we received in 2008, and was rightly short-listed along with four other unpublished novelists.

"Following investigation, it is clear that his work was not submitted to the judges as it should have been."

Saying he was still investigating the matter, Mr Akram stressed he had "great respect" for Dr Malik's writing.

He said: "The Muslim Writers Awards project does not condone censorship, as we do not believe in stifling individuals' right to artistic self-expression."
As an aside, I didn't even know this award existed. Must start writing.

Nirvana
08-14-2008, 12:15 PM
and the plot thickens... :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008...m.awards.malik

Muslim Writers awards deny censorship of 'unpalatable' novel

The Muslim Writers awards has described claims that it censored an unpublished novel because of its controversial content as "rubbish". A spokesman said the novel, which features a child-abusing mosque teacher and the rape of a Muslim girl, had dropped out of the judging process in error.

Dr Max Malik, who won the top prize at the awards last year, claims that his novel The Butterfly Hunter was not submitted to the prize's panel of independent judges for final adjudication because of its "unpalatable" subject matter. The Butterfly Hunter, which had been shortlisted by first-round volunteer judges, tells the story of a white female journalist who joins a suicide bombing cell. The story also touches on drug abuse, paedophilia and a gay imam using rent boys and prostitutes.

But awards coordinator Irfan Akram described allegations of censorship as "rubbish". He said that Malik's book was the subject of a double page spread in the awards' magazine, sent out to 10,000 people, and that Malik was also given stage time on the night of the awards. "We are trying to nurture new talent," he said. "We don't worry about the subject matter, we worry about the writing."

In the book, Malik describes the actions of the abusive mosque teacher. "That day Hamza had been wearing the traditional Pakistani dress. The red splashes staining the back of his white salwar were like a disease, an accusatory and threatening contagion. The spreading pollution defiling the purity of the white traditional baggy clothes his friend had worn. Jimmy washed silently the pain growing inside him as Hamza washed his face with cold water and put his small white hat with the gold embroidery back on his head. The two boys did not speak. But Jimmy had looked into Hamza's wet eyes and words became superfluous." Later, he writes: "Jessica pushed her golden-yellow hair away from her face and fixed him with her blue eyes, she blurted the rest of the words that had been eating her brain like an invasive fungus, the thoughts that had been chewing her body like an alien growing within. 'And I'm a suicide bomber!'"

Malik, a former GP, said he was "deeply dismayed" that the awards had been "hijacked by the puritan mindset". He added: "It's true that not all the Muslim characters in my book are model citizens. However, this is just a reflection of the realities we face today. It's unseemly that my novel is being treated as if it's the second coming of The Satanic Verses. I have created a work of fiction, which is neither blasphemous nor disrespectful towards any particular group or individual."

The awards, which are supported by Gordon Brown and for which 10,000 submissions were received, were presented in March. The novel prize was taken by Fatima Martin, 49, from Woking. Malik said: "I'm angry at the treatment I've received because my creative effort is being treated as if it's somehow unclean and unworthy. Clearly, the Muslim Writers awards has decided that the novel is so unpalatable for them that it needs to be buried."

However, Irfan Akram said that he had personally tried to introduce Malik to publishers and agents on the basis that he felt his writing showed promise. "We are unequivocally, absolutely, not interested in restricting creative talent," added Akram. "The only thing I will say is that putting someone in front of television cameras and putting them in a magazine would not be the right way to censor them."

Awards project director Imran Akram said that Malik's submission was "certainly one of the best" received in 2008, and was shortlisted for the novel award along with four other unpublished novelists. But he admitted that Malik's work was not submitted to judges as it should have been, and said that the situation was currently being investigated: "The responsibility for ensuring work was submitted to judges was delegated to several individuals within the organisation. We are still in the process of investigating the matter, and will be responding to Dr Malik's concerns once we have ascertained why his novel was not forwarded to the panel of judges." A spokesperson for Malik said he had not as yet submitted his work to any publishers.

Malik's is the second novel this week to provoke comparisons to Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, following Random House US's decision to drop Sherry Jones's debut novel The Jewel of Medina. Academics and security experts approached by the publisher suggested the novel, which retells the story of Muhammad's child bride Aisha, could provoke worse reprisals than Rushdie's novel or the Danish cartoons of Muhammad.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.