/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tuition fees

kitten
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
:sl:

is it true that ALL students irrespective of parents financial circumstances will have to pay for their own fees by themselves or through a tuition fee LOAN?

I just received my financial assessment letter for Uni today. so now i'm being asked to pay £3145 for my course this yr.

there's nothing listed there about tuition fee grant. Just a tuition fee loan which is written as £0.00 (caz i ddnt ask for one only caz i assumed the gov. will pay for my tuition fees like they did in 06/07..:s )i took yr out and transferred courses)

:s

wth is going on? a new law? im sure i've read on some latest on-line posts on forums that some students are getting tuition fee grants..)im not confusing this with maintainance grants)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kitten
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
:sl:

come on guys im soo stressed :cry::raging:

mppaki
08-15-2008, 05:05 AM
you should really ask this with your counselors since its there job to help you out.

unknown_JJ
08-15-2008, 08:50 AM
nah i am her councillor

here your mento fill up this form

http://www.studentfinancedirect.co.u..._schema=PORTAL

clik on LA find and choose d closest place for u, ( say luton , click on L and find firm & email) email dem n ask dem for a PR1 FORM I FINK, giv ur name, address and state ur a 1st year student n hopefully wen u get it , u fill it up tc :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
08-15-2008, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ
nah i am her councillor

here your mento fill up this form

http://www.studentfinancedirect.co.u..._schema=PORTAL

clik on LA find and choose d closest place for u, ( say luton , click on L and find firm & email) email dem n ask dem for a PR1 FORM I FINK, giv ur name, address and state ur a 1st year student n hopefully wen u get it , u fill it up tc :D
You fill it up with a BLACK pen and write in BLOCK CAPITALS, sheesh jay be precise!! :exhausted :BeRightBack:

SixTen
08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Yes, you have to pay the tuition fee, under the new system (feel free to ask me anything about the UK University system).

kitten
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Yes, you have to pay the tuition fee, under the new system (feel free to ask me anything about the UK University system).
I've been to University before but didn't complete my course so now I am apparently not entitled to a tuition fee loan, just a maintainance loan.

I'm wondering though why make me exempt from one and not the other? They are both loans and I'll be paying both off the same way should i take them out.

Is there a way that they can just provide me with a tuition fee loan rather than a maintainance loan?

I know I can use the finances from the maintainence loan to pay for my tuition, but it would be so much simpler if they just handled it in the way I'm suggesting.

Is it possible?

I'll have to see them sometime soon iA anyhow, but any good advice will eb appreciated.

:b:

SixTen
08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kitten
I've been to University before but didn't complete my course so now I am apparently not entitled to a tuition fee loan, just a maintainance loan.

I'm wondering though why make me exempt from one and not the other? They are both loans and I'll be paying both off the same way should i take them out.

Is there a way that they can just provide me with a tuition fee loan rather than a maintainance loan?

I know I can use the finances from the maintainence loan to pay for my tuition, but it would be so much simpler if they just handled it in the way I'm suggesting.

Is it possible?

I'll have to see them sometime soon iA anyhow, but any good advice will eb appreciated.

:b:
How many years, were you at the previous university? (Be it, retake year etc)

kitten
08-18-2008, 09:14 PM
How many years, were you at the previous university? (Be it, retake year etc)
3..yes i'm aware I'm allowed 4 years of funding ...

I've heard it so many times I'm about to scream. :)

I'm really wanting to try and see if they can just change that maintenance loan in to a tuition fee loan, though.

and on top of that i'm not entitled to any grants either. even though an advisor from SFD said that judging by household income I should be allowed the max amount.

Its certainly looks like they've made a mess of my application :s

if you don't mind me asking, do you work for a LA or whatnot?

SixTen
08-18-2008, 09:17 PM
3..yes i'm aware I'm allowed 4 years of funding ...

I've heard it so many times I'm about to scream. :)

I'm really wanting to try and see if they can just change that maintenance loan in to a tuition fee loan, though.

and on top of that i'm not entitled to any grants either. even though an advisor from SFD said that judging by household income I should be allowed the max amount.

Its certainly looks like they've made a mess of my application :s

if you don't mind me asking, do you work for a LA or whatnot?
Well, technically, you are only allowed support for your last year at your new course - and as far as I am aware - their is no going around this. What you probably have to do is, find a way to pay by yourself - or get private loans (i.e., not from studentloanscompany). You really won't be able to get much leighway on this as far as I am aware.

Oh, and no I don't work for LA or whatnot, just know a bit about it :skeleton:

kitten
08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, technically, you are only allowed support for your last year at your new course - and as far as I am aware - their is no going around this. What you probably have to do is, find a way to pay by yourself - or get private loans (i.e., not from studentloanscompany). You really won't be able to get much leighway on this as far as I am aware.

Oh, and no I don't work for LA or whatnot, just know a bit about it :skeleton:
yes I knew about only being given funding for the last year.

this is to ensure a student doesn't carry on taking the biscuit and has actually reached their 3rd year right?

SixTen
08-18-2008, 09:23 PM
yes I knew about only being given funding for the last year.

this is to ensure a student doesn't carry on taking the biscuit and has actually reached their 3rd year right?
Yep

As for changing maintanance to tuition - I don't see why it would be allowed or required. I mean, you can just pay the tuition fee directly to the university once the loan goes into your account.

kitten
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Yep

I mean, you can just pay the tuition fee directly to the university once the loan goes into your account.
True.

The maintenance loan will be paid into my account into 3 instalments. Lord knows what kind of payment options the uni will allow for tuition fee payment..

I mean, do they usually allow instalments for students who will be funding themselves? I don't want to be in a position where I have to pay upfront or will be asked for fees when my darn maintenance loan instalment hasn't even come through.

YKWIM?

SixTen
08-20-2008, 01:01 PM
True.

The maintenance loan will be paid into my account into 3 instalments. Lord knows what kind of payment options the uni will allow for tuition fee payment..

I mean, do they usually allow instalments for students who will be funding themselves? I don't want to be in a position where I have to pay upfront or will be asked for fees when my darn maintenance loan instalment hasn't even come through.

YKWIM?
Just explain to the university. I have seen people pay at the end of the year!

kitten
08-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Just explain to the university. I have seen people pay at the end of the year!
neat.

I will do hopefully. thanks for your help and all :thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.