/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I am confused about halal/haram meat..

AnonymousPoster
08-16-2008, 09:20 PM
:sl:
Hope you are well..a sister has recently told me that as muslim is ok to meet from the people of the book christians and jews..and went on to say that as long as meat is slaughtered rather than shot is ok to eat it.
She quoted a hadith which i am going to post it later, i am confused now can someone please explain if is ok to eat from the jews and christians..

Please provide facts rather than opinion..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
qassy!
08-17-2008, 10:49 PM
You know what its simple..................
If there is a certificate, stating Halal meat eat it, if there's no certificate don't eat simple things dont make it long.

AnonymousPoster
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
:sl: whats halal meat then? if you are allowed to eat from the people of the book that means their meat is halal too..

nocturne
08-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Just because it was slaughtered and not shot, its not halal.

Dhabiha is the prescribed method of slaughtering, it is the ritual of slaughtering.

This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact.

It is permissible for muslims to consume the meat of an animal, that has been defined as Halal according to the above mentioned references from Quran, but has not been slaughtered through the ritual of Dhabiha, by simply invoking the name of Allah right before consuming it. This assertion is supported by Hadith.

Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 67, Number 415: Narrated by 'Aisha: r.a

A group of people said to the Prophet, "Some people bring us meat and we do not know whether they have mentioned Allah's Name or not on slaughtering the animal." He said, "Mention Allah's Name on it and eat." Those people had embraced Islam recently.

The only binding condition is that the slaughter method should be similar to the dhabiha slaughter method, i.e , Deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides, with the result that the animal shall not be dead before bleeding profusely.

This is the only binding condition in the Islamic slaughter method, the timing of invoking Allah’s name (takbir) is not binding, it can be performed anytime after the slaughter and before consumption.

A variety of substances are considered forbidden (haraam) as per various Quranic verses:

Pork meat (i.e. flesh of swine)[Qur'an 2:173]

Blood[Qur'an 2:173]

Animals slaughtered in the name of anyone but Allah (God) (there are debates regarding the permissibility of meat slaughtered by Jews, i.e., kosher meat).[Qur'an 2:173]

Carrion[Qur'an 5:3]

"Fanged beasts of prey" as per the Sunnah, usually simplified to all carnivorous animals, with the exception of most fish and sea animals[citation needed].

All insects except for the locust (no reference)

Everything apart from these forbidden (Haraam) items is permitted or halal for all muslims.
Allah knows best, may he guide us all on the right path

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
08-20-2008, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE]A group of people said to the Prophet, "Some people bring us meat and we do not know whether they have mentioned Allah's Name or not on slaughtering the animal." He said, "Mention Allah's Name on it and eat." Those people had embraced Islam recently.[/QUOTE]

is the bold bit part of the hadith? if is not then doesnt it just show that you are allowed to eat it but need to mention allah swt name before having it.

sorry if i am being slow

AnonymousPoster
08-20-2008, 09:52 PM

What shall I do if there is no halal meat available in the city where I live? Can I eat non-halal meat?
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

In the first place, we would like to let you know that originally you should try your best to seek a halal store, and you will find that there are some stores which provide high quality halalmeat. If you have a deep freezer, you might purchase large quantities at one time from a distant shop so that you would have to travel there only a few times a year. You can contact the nearest Islamic center in this regard and they will surely guide you.

Here, we would like to stress that "Allah tells us in the Qur'an that we may eat of the good food of Christians and Jews. Therefore, unless there is a specific reason for the prohibition of a particular type of food prepared by such people, it is permissible to eat it.

In the case of Jews, they slaughter animals in the same way as we do. Christians, especially in Western Europe and America, have adopted different methods of slaughter. Scholars have different opinions on whether such meat is permissible for Muslims to eat. However, in such a matter there is no harm in choosing the easier option, since it is supported by sound arguments advanced by learned scholars.

A Muslim living in a non-Muslim country where the majority of the people are People of the Book (such as the UK) needs to familiarize himself with the methods of slaughter prevailing in that country. If he determines that the animals killed for eating are not dead before they are finally slaughtered (i.e., before the throat is cut), he may eat their meat after mentioning the Name of Allah. If he finds out that the stunning operation that is normally adopted in many of these countries actually kills the animal, he should not eat its meat.

In most cases, the large animals, such as sheep, cattle, etc. are only stunned by electric shock, which affects them for a short period while they are slaughtered. This is done in order to make the slaughter painless. That is acceptable from the Islamic point of view."

Excerpted with modifications from www.islamicity.com

Responding to the question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following:

"The question of meat slaughtered by the People of the Book has been a controversial issue among Muslim scholars. The vast majority of scholars from all of the four schools consider it permissible for us. They base this on the clear statement of the Qur'an: "Today, I have permitted for you all good things, and the food of the People of the Book is permissible for you, and your food is permissible for them." (Al-Ma’idah: 5)

According to Ibn `Abbas, the food of the People of the Book mentioned in the above verse refers to the meat slaughtered by them.

Based on this, the majority of scholars belonging to the four schools of thought consider it permissible for Muslims to eat animals slaughtered by the Christians and Jews so long as these animals are considered lawful for us to eat.

If you fall in this category of those who live among the People of the Book, then you may eat their meat, especially if you cannot find meat slaughtered by Muslims.

As for stunning the animal, it does not make the animal dead, for it is intended only to knock the animal unconscious so that it does not feel pain and it is brought under control. This itself does not render the animal impure and unlawful unless it is dead before slaughter.

My own experience with the slaughterhouses is that they do not make use of animals that are already dead before slaughter. Inspectors, who are appointed by the government (in countries such as Canada), do make sure that this is not the case.

As far as the wisdom of stunning is concerned, it is really in conformity with the wisdom established in the Prophetic hadith in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, "Allah has prescribed excellence and compassion in all things, so when you kill, kill well; when you slaughter, slaughter well, and let him sharpen his knife and spare the animal pain."

In conclusion, we are definitely allowed to partake of such meat, especially if we do not find meat provided by Muslims."

You can also read:

Non-Halal Meat

Giving Animals Electric Shock before Slaughter

Allah Almighty knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.