/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim inmates living in fear at UK prison

Güven
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM

Muslim inmates living in fear at UK prison

PA
Wednesday, 20 August 2008

Rising violence at one of Britain's top security jails was highlighted in an official report today.

Tensions increased at Frankland Prison, Durham, amid a growing gang culture and the arrival of convicted terrorists, according to HM Inspectorate of Prisons. The report criticised the amount of serious violence committed by inmates upon each other.

In October al Qaida terrorist Dhiren Barot was scalded with boiling oil in the prison. It followed a similar incident when fellow terrorist Omar Khyam burnt a local inmate, then claimed he did it because he was afraid he would be attacked.

Only a few weeks ago, and months after the inspection was carried out in February, a prison officer was injured during a disturbance when nine prisoners began smashing up their cells. Inspectors found the small number of "black and minority ethnic prisoners felt especially unsafe", and they were over-represented in all disciplinary procedures.

The report stated: "Understanding of, and knowledge about, Muslim prisoners was particularly weak, and there was insufficient management scrutiny of race issues in general.

HMP Frankland was described in the report as holding "extremely challenging prisoners", some of whom had severe personality disorders. The Inspectorate said: "These include prisoners who are dangerous, but also prisoners who are vulnerable.

"Inspectors found that there was no evidence of a robust violence reduction strategy, which is essential to ensure safety, order and control. There was little management analysis of data on bullying, intimidation or self-harm."

Anne Owers, Chief Inspector of Prisons, said: "High security prisons require constant and vigorous management in order safely to contain and work effectively with their challenging populations.

"Frankland's population had become even more challenging recently, with increases in gang affiliations and the arrival of a small number of convicted terrorists.

"It is unfortunate that this coincided with the absence of the governor for some months, and the resulting drift that was observable at this inspection needs urgently to be reversed."

She praised staff who worked in the Dangerous and Serious Personality Disorders (DSPD) unit and said their expertise needed to be built up in other sections of the jail.

Phil Wheatley, director general of the National Offender Management Service, said: "I am pleased that the Chief Inspector has acknowledged the excellent multidisciplinary relationships within the DSPD unit, which deals with some of the most challenging prisoners in the system.

"I am concerned about the comments raised on the safety within Frankland, however this should be seen in the context of Frankland's extremely challenging population." The issues raised in the report are currently being addressed by the Governor and staff at Frankland.

"A new Diversity and Safer Prisons Manager is now in post to ensure a focus on the matters raised by the Inspector in relation to anti-bullying and diversity."

The Prison Reform Trust said the report was a "timely warning" and the Prison Service must now rectify its failings.

Spokesman Imran Hussein said: "Anne Owers is warning of drift in key areas, particularly safety."

More needs to be done on training officers about prisoners' religious beliefs, he said.

"For prison officers to do their job properly, they need assistance and training to understand more about prisoners' backgrounds," he said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...on-903483.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
08-20-2008, 06:10 PM
:bump:

Keltoi
08-21-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm not sure what the prison environment is like in GB, but in the U.S. these incidents happen all the time. Most of the convicted terrorists in the U.S. are kept separate from the general population, because they would be killed sooner or later. It is the same for child rapists and the like. Of course the gang problem in the U.S. is multiplied 100 times what it is in GB I'm sure.

Trumble
08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I'm not sure what the prison environment is like in GB, but in the U.S. these incidents happen all the time.
Much the same, I think.

In October al Qaida terrorist Dhiren Barot was scalded with boiling oil in the prison. It followed a similar incident when fellow terrorist Omar Khyam burnt a local inmate, then claimed he did it because he was afraid he would be attacked.
And exactly the same would have happened if there had been members of any two gangs involved. The terrorists are just another 'faction'.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AvarAllahNoor
08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I have no sympathy for criminals, I say, let them all free within the prisons give them guns and let them finish each other off. They are vermin!

Whatsthepoint
08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
I have no sympathy for criminals, I say, let them all free within the prisons give them guns and let them finish each other off. They are vermin!
Now now!
Imagine you could convicted on false charges. I'm sure you'd want the state to at least take care for you safety, wouldn't you?

AvarAllahNoor
08-21-2008, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Now now!
Imagine you could convicted on false charges. I'm sure you'd want the state to at least take care for you safety, wouldn't you?
Perhaps I was harsh, but that's a very very very tiny minority. Killers, rapists, don't deserve sympathy. :)

Whatsthepoint
08-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Perhaps I was harsh, but that's a very very very tiny minority. Killers, rapists, don't deserve sympathy. :)
Perhaps they don't deserve sympathy, but they certainly deserve to be treated well and safely.

AvarAllahNoor
08-21-2008, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Perhaps they don't deserve sympathy, but they certainly deserve to be treated well and safely.
That's what Sikhism teaches If they repent, if not, well bad actions have consequences.

Izyan
08-22-2008, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't say that. The justice systems all over the world is different. You might get a fairer trial in say the UK than you would in China. People are being found innocent after spending many years in prison due to DNA testing.

Muezzin
08-24-2008, 12:28 PM
That would make an excellent premise for a videogame.

In real life... not so much.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.