/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The making of an extremist

Uthman
08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Study identifies those at risk of radicalisation, those who recruit them - and what can be done

The MI5 briefing note, Understanding Radicalisation and Violent Extremism in the UK, seen by the Guardian provides a unique insight into current thinking within the security service about how a modern-day British terrorist is made.

The analysis, based on hundreds of case studies of those involved in or closely associated with terrorism, concludes that there is no single pathway to extremism. All had taken strikingly different journeys to violent extremist activity.

However the security service does say that most individuals in the sample had some vulnerability in their background that made them receptive to extremist ideology.

For most, radicalisation takes months or years with no one becoming a terrorist overnight, and it is always driven by contact with others.

Exposure to extremist ideology, whether in the form of online communities, books, or DVDs, although crucial, is never enough on its own. Personal interaction is essential, in most cases, to draw individuals into violent extremist networks.

Pathways to extremism

The key vulnerabilities identified by MI5 analysts that made those studied receptive to extremist ideology included the experience of migrating to Britain and facing marginalisation and racism; the failure of those with degrees to achieve anything but low-grade jobs; a serious criminal past; travel abroad for up to six months at a time and contact with extremist networks overseas; and religious naivety.

The report says that the relationship between criminality and radicalisation is complex, with some criminals attracted by the violent aspects of terrorism, while -others with a criminal past felt genuine regret for their activities. "Some appeared to have turned to violent extremist groups in the misguided belief that participation in jihad might help atone for previous wrongdoing," MI5 says.

The report adds that some with a criminal past who have been ostracised from mainstream society find themselves accepted by a radical group. "We have noticed that terrorist groups are remarkably tolerant of individuals with serious criminal histories. This is the case even when those individuals continue to be involved in very serious non-terrorist crimes, including drug-trafficking, assault and even rape," it notes.

The psychological impact of these different experiences can be similar — a perception of threat, insecurity, uncertainty or dislocation. The feeling can be triggered by personal or vicarious experiences of inequality, marginalisation, or victimisation, particularly racial or religious attacks, both physical and verbal.

"This feeling is heightened by mainstream UK media coverage that perpetuates negative stereotypes of Muslims, by Islamic and non-Islamic media that reports atrocities against Muslims worldwide, and by the extremist groups themselves who spread the message that Muslims are being … persecuted, to the point that the only course of action is to fight back with violence."

Radicalising influences

MI5 says it is important not to commit the "logical fallacy" of assuming that all those who share a common experience of dislocating episodes will become terrorists. "What is different about those who ended up involved in terrorism is that they came into contact with existing extremists who recognised their vulnerabilities (and their usefulness to the extremist group)."

The report says that in the past radical clerics featured in this role but "their influence has moved into the background". Their speeches and writings are still important in facilitating radicalisation but more often now charismatic individuals from local communities and their own peers offer potential recruits guidance and act as role models.

The security service says it is important to recognise the role of online communities: "People do not generally become radicalised simply through passive browsing of extremist websites, but many such sites create opportunities for the 'virtual' social interaction that drives radicalisation in the virtual world. Books, DVDs, pamphlets and music all feature in the experiences of British terrorists but their emotional content — eg images of atrocities against Muslims — is often more important than their factual content."

Once involved in an extremist network, powerful social psychological processes bind the individual to the group, including the emotional rewards of belonging. "Membership of a terrorist group can provide a sense of meaning and purpose. It can lead to enhanced self-esteem, and the individual can feel a sense of control and influence over their lives … some may find psychological security in a belief in future rewards (both in paradise and in the collective memory of the movement) following suicide operations."

The analysis suggests that for dislocated individuals the terrorist group can become "fictive kin", replacing lost ties to family or community. Isolating new or potential recruits through overseas travel, training camps and time spent online helps to encourage them to regard violence as an acceptable form of action.

Promoting disengagement from terrorism

MI5 admits there is no substantial research on disengagement from Islamist terrorism because it is a relatively new phenomenon but the historic record of terrorist groups illustrates that individuals do leave such networks. Individuals may develop negative feelings through personality clashes or may become disillusioned with the aims and tactics of the group. The 1987 Enniskillen bombing led to disillusion among some IRA sympathisers. Despite the "rewards" of martyrdom, individuals may still fear death or be apprehensive about "failing" in an attack and spending many years in prison.

A change in priorities such as the birth of a child, or a new relationship or job may take priority over terrorism.

MI5 says this last theme provides one way of preventing radicalisation. "Although it is popular to assume that -people who become terrorists are passively 'brainwashed' into extremism, individuals in fact make active choices to become and remain in extremist activity."

No single measure will reduce radicalisation, it says, but a package targeted at vulnerable groups could include providing fulfilling jobs for young people, better integration of immigrants, effective reintegration of ex-prisoners and the provision of alternatives to the extremist pathway out of "ordinary" criminality.

Law enforcement to disrupt existing networks remains vitally important, MI5 says, but the impact of those who unwittingly exacerbate the perception of threat and marginalisation must not be neglected. "Sections of the media, our own and allies' governments can sometimes make statements that are unwittingly or deliberately provocative. Non-Muslim groups (eg rightwing extremists) can also stoke false fears and resentments, which can heighten the perception of threat in Muslim communities," the report says.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amadeus85
08-21-2008, 11:52 AM
There is already similar thread Osman. made by you also :).

usman2468
08-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I'd just like to bring attention to a few points

Firstly "assault " and "rape" is a terrorist activity since a terrorist is a person who causes terror.

Secondly I think I know why terrorist organizations are tolerant of criminal background. It is probably because they consider that the person has repented and is now joining their organizations as repentance.

Thirdly just because US and other media says that someone is a terrorist does not mean that he is one. I am not pointing to any organizations in particular though.

Finally, the US has not yet been able to prove that Osama bin Ladin IS a terrorist. He is a PRIME SUSPECT. But that does not mean he is a terrorist.

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I read about a half of the article, and as soon as I saw that all examples are being presented on Muslims, I realized this is another trash.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by usman2468
Finally, the US has not yet been able to prove that Osama bin Ladin IS a terrorist. He is a PRIME SUSPECT. But that does not mean he is a terrorist.
How many terrorist acts does he have to take credit for to provide proof of his guilt? Or do you consider him to be a liar taking credit for things he did not plan or fund?

usman2468
08-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Again. It is not necessary that he actually claimed the acts. It could be more of US Government anti Islamic Propaganda.

I know for one that 9/11 was probably organized by US. The evidence is overwhelming. I know it from many reliable media. The propaganda that Osama bin Ladin was behind it was just an excuse to attack Afghanistan... not that to get one man US Government had the right to trash the entire Afghanistan.:raging:

Keltoi
08-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Again. It is not necessary that he actually claimed the acts. It could be more of US Government anti Islamic Propaganda.

I know for one that 9/11 was probably organized by US. The evidence is overwhelming. I know it from many reliable media. The propaganda that Osama bin Ladin was behind it was just an excuse to attack Afghanistan... not that to get one man US Government had the right to trash the entire Afghanistan.:raging:
:exhausted

usman2468
08-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Well? Keltoi?

Keltoi
08-23-2008, 04:08 AM
Well? Keltoi?
Well what? You have obviously latched on to the conspiracy defense....I don't really have a comment on that stuff anymore.

usman2468
08-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Conspiracy stories ? Really? I CHALLENGE you. Give me one evidence which gave US Government the right to attack Afghanistan. Just 1 evidence which justify the killing of thousands of innocent people.

You think I have been subjected to wrong propaganda then haw would you react to the following:

Most of the US scientists agree that it was impossible for the WTC towers to collapse the way they did unless the building was rigged with explosives.

I gotta go...I will be presenting more evidence soon.

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Mentioning Afghanistan, Americans killed 76 people yesterday...

Muezzin
08-23-2008, 12:58 PM
The making of an extremist
Is this like one of those DVD special features?

Azy
08-23-2008, 02:05 PM
The evidence is overwhelming. I know it from many reliable media.
Right...

Thinker
08-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I know for one that 9/11 was probably organized by US. The evidence is overwhelming.
and the moon is made from cream cheese !

Thinker
08-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Unfortunately things like this article aren't going to help the moderates win the day

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...ss&feed=uknews

Fishman
08-23-2008, 08:33 PM
:sl:
Stupid thinking as displayed in the thread above is what causes terrorism and extremism. I'm seriously fed up with the Ummah's whining and sense of self-pity. The problems of the Muslims will never be solved if people refuse to admit they exist and blame everything on ridiculous conspiracy theories. We should clean up our own house before we complain about others!

This Ummah will go down the drain if it doesn't WAKE UP!
:w:

The_Prince
08-23-2008, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Stupid thinking as displayed in the thread above is what causes terrorism and extremism. I'm seriously fed up with the Ummah's whining and sense of self-pity. The problems of the Muslims will never be solved if people refuse to admit they exist and blame everything on ridiculous conspiracy theories. We should clean up our own house before we complain about others!

This Ummah will go down the drain if it doesn't WAKE UP!
why dont you do something about it then? people like you are the exact problem, just complain but dont do anything. go on then if you care so much go fix the problems, now offcourse i dont expect you to fix the problems as they are too big, but at least if you tried that counts.

its so easy to come make a comment on a forum, and have a few talks with close friends and maybe sometimes argue, but if you or anybody really cares about the issues then get up and start doing something real about it. like you, after you leave this forum you most likely will go do something that has absaloutly nothing to do with fixing the Islamic ummah.

at least i can say i put my money where my mouth is, so yes, theres a problem in the ummah, will you be our hero and help us?

Fishman
08-23-2008, 08:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
why dont you do something about it then? people like you are the exact problem, just complain but dont do anything. go on then if you care so much go fix the problems, now offcourse i dont expect you to fix the problems as they are too big, but at least if you tried that counts.

its so easy to come make a comment on a forum, and have a few talks with close friends and maybe sometimes argue, but if you or anybody really cares about the issues then get up and start doing something real about it. like you, after you leave this forum you most likely will go do something that has absaloutly nothing to do with fixing the Islamic ummah.

at least i can say i put my money where my mouth is, so yes, theres a problem in the ummah, will you be our hero and help us?
We can all be heroes by rectifying ourselves.

The_Prince
08-23-2008, 09:00 PM
ok i take it that everything i said was true, :). hopefully one day you will feel the problems are so bad it will push you to commit yourself to do something about the situation.

Fishman
08-23-2008, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
ok i take it that everything i said was true, :). hopefully one day you will feel the problems are so bad it will push you to commit yourself to do something about the situation.
If I could do something more active, I would. But for now all I can do is try to rectify myself and persuade others to do so too.

I don't know what you would have me do though. There are already plenty of important people who try to stop this problem, but people just reject them as they think they are part of the 'conspiracy'.

usman2468
08-24-2008, 06:46 AM
Ok you dont believe me. Fine. I didn't expect to. But I am collecting all the evidence I can and will then present it.

Izyan
08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
This is how MLK helped the Civil Rights movements. He embraced the philosophy of nonviolent and made their oppressors look inward to see their own demons. The oppressors give up when they realize they can not break your spirit.

Keltoi
08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
This is how MLK helped the Civil Rights movements. He embraced the philosophy of nonviolent and made their oppressors look inward to see their own demons. The oppressors give up when they realize they can not break your spirit.
True. MLK understood that the use of violence in the civil rights movement would only give those who were inclined to deny civil rights the "justification" for doing so.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.