:sl:

Can muslims eat crab?
Is it Halal or Haram
Please explain with the proof

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
08-21-2008, 02:57 PM
This Is What I Could Find , Maybe Someone Else Can Help you More

Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

And Allaah knows best.

abs
08-21-2008, 02:59 PM
i think we can bcuz we had crab in india but not me ooooooh disgusting

IbnAbdulHakim
08-21-2008, 03:01 PM
im doubting prawns and your jumping to crabs ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faye
08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
09-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Question :

Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)
Islamqa follows the mazhab of Imaam Ahmad bin Hanbal. To the best of my knowledge (if anybody knows different, correct me), Imaams Shafee and Malik also have the same view. Imaam Abu Hanifa's opinion is different, only fish from the sea are Halaal.

Question
Is eating lobster, shrimp, etc haraam? Is it the same as eating pig? (For Hanafi)

Answer
>From seafood, only fish is made Halaal for us. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu
Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'Two carions are made Halaal for us; Fish and locust.
' (Mishkaat vol.2 pg.361). Fish is classified as a Vertebra.

Shrimps and lobsters are not vertebras, hence, not permissible.

Some Ulama are of the opinion that shrimps, etc. are fish, therefore,
permissible. Due to the differences of opinion, it is best to adopt Taqwa
and abstain from eating shrimps, etc. but they cannot be regarded as swine
meat which is expressly Haraam.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
FATWA DEPT

Güven
08-21-2008, 03:03 PM
How Does It Taste Anyway ???

Faye
08-21-2008, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
How Does It Taste Anyway ???
I wouldn't know; I'm Hanafi.

Strzelecki
08-21-2008, 04:36 PM
But - I used to love prawns. :(

S_87
08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faye
Islamqa follows the mazhab of Imaam Ahmad bin Hanbal. To the best of my knowledge (if anybody knows different, correct me), Imaams Shafee and Malik also have the same view. Imaam Abu Hanifa's opinion is different, only fish from the sea are Halaal.
Islamqa follow no particular madhab but rather takes from madhabs of what has the strongest evidence from the Quran and Sunnah.

bewildred
08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
I love crab pie!!! :thumbs_upIt's the Jews who can't eat crab.

Eeman
08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
OMG you cant eat crabs what the ......
i eat shrimps, lobsters, crab, octopus, squid and muscles.

i think i will follow the first post of prove i dont believe in sects anyhow so i will carry on eating my seafood. :D

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-21-2008, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman
OMG you cant eat crabs what the ......
i eat shrimps, lobsters, crab, octopus, squid and muscles.

i think i will follow the first post of prove i dont believe in sects anyhow so i will carry on eating my seafood. :D
Yeah... And in about 200 yrs there will be written in books of history: 200 yrs ago, a crab-eaters-sext was formed on a famous forum. The head of that group was Eeman. :P

Al-Zaara
08-21-2008, 05:32 PM
In the Hanafi madhab prawns and shrimps are makrooh, but crab or lobster for instance are haram. But remember there is also difference of opinion between the scholars in the Hanafi madhab, so some might even go that far to say all of those mentioned above are haram aswell.

InshaAllah what I have said is correct, this is from memory. If not, may Allah forgive me!

chacha_jalebi
08-21-2008, 05:55 PM
tell me if it tastes nice first, then il tell you which opinion il follow lol:p

naa i thought it was haraam, cause of the pinsers, like they say you shouldnt eat animal which are predatory, like attackin ones, if you doubt it leave it innaay

also normal fish is much nicer, like cod mmmmm :D

Güven
08-21-2008, 06:05 PM
^ Thats What I was Goin To say :D
Why Would You eat Crab and take the risk ,If You Have Delicious "Normal" Fish :

:statisfie:statisfie

Afraa
08-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I believe that anything that lives in the water is permissible, along what what faye said above

Eeman
08-21-2008, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdu-l-Majeed
Yeah... And in about 200 yrs there will be written in books of history: 200 yrs ago, a crab-eaters-sext was formed on a famous forum. The head of that group was Eeman. :P
:D:D:DHEHE so we are welcoming members no membership charge yet peeps so join as fast as you can!!!

Eeman
08-21-2008, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
^ Thats What I was Goin To say :D
Why Would You eat Crab and take the risk ,If You Have Delicious "Normal" Fish :

:statisfie:statisfie
bro no offence but that is the worst picture of a fish dish you could have possibly posted by just looking at the battered greasy oily cos makes one run to a crab or a lobster.

Güven
08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
^lol You wouldnt Say That If you had That In your Mouth :D

Eeman
08-21-2008, 10:49 PM
oh gosh you kidding me.... i live in the UK the homeland of fish and chips and in my lifetime i have had plenty of it... yuk yuk yuk!!!!:D

ummsara1108
08-22-2008, 04:15 AM
You can't eat cat fish !!!

north_malaysian
08-22-2008, 06:42 AM
I love seafoods.... crabs, shrimps, squids, octopus, fish, oyster, mussels etc...

But it's very hard to eat the crabs, you have to crack the shell, it took me 30 mins to finish off with one crab... i love crabs cooked in sweet and sour sauces...

Malaysians are seafood people that's why most of them follow Shafiite madhhab..

.... i dont know that we can eat turtles and otters:blind:

Pk_#2
08-22-2008, 10:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I love seafoods.... crabs, shrimps, squids, octopus, fish, oyster, mussels etc...

But it's very hard to eat the crabs, you have to crack the shell, it took me 30 mins to finish off with one crab... i love crabs cooked in sweet and sour sauces...

Malaysians are seafood people that's why most of them follow Shafiite madhhab..
:blind:
I wana try those.. :thumbs_up Mom said they 'look haraam' Hmm..I wana force her to eat them, is THAT halaal?

IbnAbdulHakim
08-22-2008, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eeman
bro no offence but that is the worst picture of a fish dish you could have possibly posted by just looking at the battered greasy oily cos makes one run to a crab or a lobster.
i think thats one of the best fish pictures ive ever seen in my life.

quite hungry now

crayon
08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I've never had crab, but I love lobster and shrimp...mmm..
Yeah, I agree with the first opinion though, that it's not haram.

Güven
08-22-2008, 10:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
i think thats one of the best fish pictures ive ever seen in my life.

quite hungry now
My Mannnn :D , They have No Taste For Delicious Food :statisfie

ummsara1108
08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Here is a site, you might find educational:

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com

abs
08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
tell me if it tastes nice first, then il tell you which opinion il follow lol:p

naa i thought it was haraam, cause of the pinsers, like they say you shouldnt eat animal which are predatory, like attackin ones, if you doubt it leave it innaay

also normal fish is much nicer, like cod mmmmm :D
lol just like modern imams

if he likes it its halaal

if he dusnt like it its haraam
no offence 2 ny1 on LI hu is an imam:D:)

Fishman
08-22-2008, 11:52 PM
:sl:
According to this, crab is haram for hanafis:
According to the Hanafi Madhhab, only fish is permissible to consume from sea food animals. There is a difference of opinion amongst the Hanafi Jurists whether shrimps/prawns falls under fish. Those who say it is a fish state it will be permissible to consume. Those who are of the view that prawns/shrimps are not fish say it is impermissible to consume. It is better to adopt precaution and avoid eating it. Consider the following Hadith:

Leave that which is doubtful for which is not doubtful. (Al-Tirmidhi & Al-Nasa'i)

Crabs are not lawful to consume.

Fatawa Mehmoodia (18/212&267) Jamia Farooqiya

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Ehzaz Ajmeri,
Student Darul Iftaa

Concurred by:

Ml. Abu Yahya
Student Darul Iftaa

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah
fatwa
:w:

Ansariyah
08-22-2008, 11:56 PM
All sea food is meant to be halal

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.