/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shia Imam Forces Boy To Hit Himself...

chacha_jalebi
08-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Syed Mustafa Zaidi, 44, is accused of encouraging the boys, aged 13 and 15, to beat themselves at a community centre in Manchester on 19 January.

Manchester Crown Court was played a film showing Mr Zaidi beating himself with a whip made of knives and chains.

Mr Zaidi, of Station Road, Eccles, denies two counts of child cruelty.

It is the first case of its kind ever to be prosecuted in the UK. This was not only against their own will but in any event is not allowed by law

Andrew Nuttall, prosecuting

The 20-minute video shown to the court showed the Shia Muslim Ashura ceremony in Levenshulme, with Mr Zaidi bare-chested among a crowd of about 150 men, chanting and singing.

He then used the whip - called a zanjeer - on himself.

Participants at the men-only event take it in turns, in small groups, to flog themselves, while the crowd around them chant the name of Husayn, a central figure in the Shia faith whose death they are commemorating.

The film played to the court also showed the 13-year-old boy, who Zaidi is accused of forcing, flogging himself with the whip.

'Considerable force'

Prosecutors said the 15-year-old boy, who is not seen in the film but was allegedly forced to take part in the ceremony, suffered multiple lacerations to his back and shoulders, including a wound measuring up to a centimetre long.

Andrew Nuttall, prosecutor, said Mr Zaidi also harmed himself in the film.

"This devout man used considerable force upon himself, clearly causing injuries, and causing others present to fear for his safety to such an extent that they started to intervene and calm him down," he said.

Mr Nuttall said Mr Zaidi then went on to encourage the 15-year-old boy to flog himself and gave him "no choice" about participating in the ceremony.

He said Mr Zaidi took the arm of the 13-year-old boy, took off his T-shirt so he was bare-chested and put the zanjeer in his hand and told him to flog himself.

'Not for children'

The court heard how Mr Zaidi had attended a meeting at the community centre two days before the ceremony, where it was made plain that children under the age of 16 should not participate.

Mr Zaidi denies forcing the boys to participate and claims they had requested to take part.

Mr Nuttall said: "The prosecution say the defendant ignored the advice given to him that this practice was not allowed for children under 16 years of age."

He said Zaidi forced the boys to participate in a ceremony "clearly designed to cause self harm".

Mr Nuttall added: "This was not only against their own will but in any event is not allowed by law."

The case continues.

full article at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/7568953.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
08-23-2008, 07:48 PM
:sl:
I read about this in a paper a few days back.

Silly shias.

Sahabiyaat
08-23-2008, 07:59 PM
i predict a shia member is on his/her way, to reprimand you severely, most likely with a ...zangeer :X

self harm really disturbs, for whatever reasons its done.

AvarAllahNoor
08-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Yes, inflicting pain of any kind is forbidden in Islam isn't it, bizzare folk!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musaafirah
08-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I read about that. I think it's disgusting, causing harm to oneself and encouraging young kids to do so is just wrong.

Güven
08-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Its Not even Human To encourage Kids To hurt themselves :mmokay:

The_Prince
08-23-2008, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:
I read about this in a paper a few days back.

Silly shias.
i doubt you would say a quote such as silly 'Sunnis' and i bet if you saw such a thing you would have a problem with it. lets not kid ourselves, we Sunnis do and have done much worst than Shias. every week we see some stupid british Muslims who are SUNNIS getting caught planning to carry out silly bomb attacks in england, recently 3 stooges were arrested, one of them was calling himself the leader of al-qaeda in britian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and im a Sunni BTW, but not a blind Sunni who will like to generalize and say silly Shias when i know for a fact we Sunnis are such in a low disgraced state at this moment.

crayon
08-23-2008, 09:36 PM
"He then used the whip - called a zanjeer - on himself. "

That musn't be fun...:blind:

aamirsaab
08-23-2008, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
i doubt you would say a quote such as silly 'Sunnis' and i bet if you saw such a thing you would have a problem with it. lets not kid ourselves, we Sunnis do and have done much worst than Shias. every week we see some stupid british Muslims who are SUNNIS getting caught planning to carry out silly bomb attacks in england, recently 3 stooges were arrested, one of them was calling himself the leader of al-qaeda in britian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh don't get me started on sunnis - we'd all be depressed by the end of it! :p

Danah
08-23-2008, 10:53 PM
How cruel !!!

what kind of practicing is this -hitting themselves !!!-

Pk_#2
08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Stooooooooooopid people, when will they learn! Poor lads. =(

north_malaysian
08-27-2008, 03:17 AM
the Shiites can whip themselves, or cut themselves ... but why forcing it on children? I've seen a pic of a Lebanese mother cut his baby boy forehead for the occasion years ago...:blind:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.