/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Youths

Iftikhar
08-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Muslim Youths

Muslim youths are angry, frustrated and extremist because they have been mis-educated and de-educated by the British schooling. Muslim children are confused because they are being educated in a wrong place at a wrong time in state schools with non-Muslim monolingual teachers. They face lots of problems of growing up in two distinctive cultural traditions and value systems, which may come into conflict over issues such as the role of women in the society, and adherence to religious and cultural traditions. The conflicting demands made by home and schools on behaviour, loyalties and obligations can be a source of psychological conflict and tension in Muslim youngsters. There are also the issues of racial prejudice and discrimination to deal with, in education and employment. They have been victim of racism and bullying in all walks of life. According to DCSF, 56% of Pakistanis and 54% of Bangladeshi children has been victims of bullies. The first wave of Muslim migrants were happy to send their children to state schools, thinking their children would get a much better education. Than little by little, the overt and covert discrimination in the system turned them off. There are fifteen areas where Muslim parents find themselves offended by state schools.

The right to education in one’s own comfort zone is a fundamental and inalienable human right that should be available to all people irrespective of their ethnicity or religious background. Schools do not belong to state, they belong to parents. It is the parents’ choice to have faith schools for their children. Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim teacher or a child in a Muslim school. There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim children are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools. An ICM Poll of British Muslims showed that nearly half wanted their children to attend Muslim schools. There are only 143 Muslim schools. A state funded Muslim school in Birmingham has 220 pupils and more than 1000 applicants chasing just 60.

Majority of anti-Muslim stories are not about terrorism but about Muslim
culture--the hijab, Muslim schools, family life and religiosity. Muslims in the west ought to be recognised as a western community, not as an alien culture.
Iftikhar Ahmad
www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iftikhar
09-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Muslim Youths

Muslim youths are angry, frustrated and extremist because they have been mis-educated and de-educated by the British schooling. Muslim children are confused because they are being educated in a wrong place at a wrong time in state schools with non-Muslim monolingual teachers. They face lots of problems of growing up in two distinctive cultural traditions and value systems, which may come into conflict over issues such as the role of women in the society, and adherence to religious and cultural traditions. The conflicting demands made by home and schools on behaviour, loyalties and obligations can be a source of psychological conflict and tension in Muslim youngsters. There are also the issues of racial prejudice and discrimination to deal with, in education and employment. They have been victim of racism and bullying in all walks of life. According to DCSF, 56% of Pakistanis and 54% of Bangladeshi children has been victims of bullies. The first wave of Muslim migrants were happy to send their children to state schools, thinking their children would get a much better education. Than little by little, the overt and covert discrimination in the system turned them off. There are fifteen areas where Muslim parents find themselves offended by state schools.

The right to education in one’s own comfort zone is a fundamental and inalienable human right that should be available to all people irrespective of their ethnicity or religious background. Schools do not belong to state, they belong to parents. It is the parents’ choice to have faith schools for their children. Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim teacher or a child in a Muslim school. There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim children are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools. An ICM Poll of British Muslims showed that nearly half wanted their children to attend Muslim schools. There are only 143 Muslim schools. A state funded Muslim school in Birmingham has 220 pupils and more than 1000 applicants chasing just 60.

Majority of anti-Muslim stories are not about terrorism but about Muslim
culture--the hijab, Muslim schools, family life and religiosity. Muslims in the west ought to be recognised as a western community, not as an alien culture.
Iftikhar Ahmad

Iftikhar
12-11-2008, 04:30 PM
State Funded Muslim Schools

British schooling has been mis-educating and de-educating Muslim children for the last 50 years and for the first time the Muslim leadership openly declared that British school is a home of institutional racism where there is no place for foreign culture and languages. Institutional racism is depriving Muslim children of the chance to go to their own faith schools. It leads LEAs to reject or delay approval of Muslim schools. Policy makers like Mr. Graham Lane and others like him do not want to see even a single Muslim school in the United Kingdom. The British teachers have no respect for Islamic faith and Muslim community. Western education system can easily deprogram Muslim children and force them to adopt un-Islamic values. Let the Muslim parents decides how and where to educate their children. According to MORI social research institute on behalf of Bristol LEA, nine out of ten Muslim parents agreed with the model of an Islamic secondary school set up within the state system. I rejected British schooling for Muslim children in the early 70s.

A child who has English as a second language is seen as having a special need – not as having a skill to be lauded from the rooftops. Bilingual children think in different way. Language has a profound effect in shaping the ways people think and act. Certain concepts are embedded in words that do not translate. There are repertoires of phrases which exist in Arabic or Urdu because there is no English equivalent. State schools are slaughter houses and are not suitable for bilingual Muslim children. Muslim children in the UK may lose out when they join reception classes because the school’s values and language reflect those of the dominant native culture, rather than those of their home. Almost all recent research literature agrees that if you want children whose home language is not English to excel in English –medium schools, it is important to nurture and acknowledge that first language along side their English development. Cultivating bilingualism could and should promote pupil’s linguistic development. Muslim children need bilingual Muslim teachers as role models.

Taxpayers’ money spent on schools should be handed to parents as vouchers to be used for their children’s education as they wished. Funds may be given to parents to set up their own schools. Lady Uddin argues strongly for the benefits of faith-based schooling, rejecting claims made in reports on the 2001 riots in Oldham, Burnley and Bradford that polarised schooling contributed to community division. Culturally separate groups, communities and institutions do not have to be the causes of social instability. There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools to be managed and controlled by Muslim Educational Trust and Charities.
Iftikhar Ahmad

Re.TiReD
12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
:salamext:

The Private Islamic School I went to is now State-Funded.

The best thing they ever did.

WassalamuAlaykum

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
12-11-2008, 05:44 PM
The state should not finance religious/ideological education.

mohsen1985
12-11-2008, 08:47 PM
In 20 years, the UK will be under water, so, no more UK and no more worries :D:thumbs_up

Hamayun
12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Funny you should say that lol

I think The state should not finance Atheist/ideological education :p

Amadeus85
12-11-2008, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun

I agree with You, but on the other hand, if You see England as one of the best places to live, it is also due to their education and schools (but probably the exclusive, private ones).

Hamayun
12-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Don't get me wrong England is an amazing country. I admire the English people.

I was just trying to make a point that there are always two sides to a story.

We can agree to disagree but making statements like "The state should not finance religious/ideological education." is imposing ones ideology on the other.

Peace

Amadeus85
12-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Don't get me wrong England is an amazing country. I admire the English people.

I was just trying to make a point that there are always two sides to a story.

We can agree to disagree but making statements like "The state should not finance religious/ideological education." is imposing ones ideology on the other.

Peace
Here I agree with You, as modern radical atheism is no more than fundamentalist ideology.

Whatsthepoint
12-12-2008, 06:28 PM

I agree, it shouldn't finance atheist education. What it should finance is secular education. I admit secularism is an ideology, so my statement is inappropriate.

Muezzin
12-12-2008, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iftikhar
State Funded Muslim Schools

British schooling has been mis-educating and de-educating Muslim children for the last 50 years and for the first time the Muslim leadership openly declared that British school is a home of institutional racism where there is no place for foreign culture and languages.
Some of my relatives go to a state-funded secondary school where they learn Religious Studies and either French or German (they have a choice, but they must have lessons in one of those languages). Granted, they're European rather than Asian languages, but some schools do indeed offer Urdu/Hindi or Punjabi GCSEs.

Institutional racism is depriving Muslim children of the chance to go to their own faith schools. It leads LEAs to reject or delay approval of Muslim schools. Policy makers like Mr. Graham Lane and others like him do not want to see even a single Muslim school in the United Kingdom.
The irony is I live down the street from one.

The British teachers have no respect for Islamic faith and Muslim community.
Quite a sweeping statement. All my teachers had respect for Muslims, and Islam was afforded the proper respect in religious education lessons.

It's other students who might 'lack respect' for Islam and Muslims...

Western education system can easily deprogram Muslim children and force them to adopt un-Islamic values. Let the Muslim parents decides how and where to educate their children. According to MORI social research institute on behalf of Bristol LEA, nine out of ten Muslim parents agreed with the model of an Islamic secondary school set up within the state system. I rejected British schooling for Muslim children in the early 70s.
Then send them to an Islamic school. Nobody is stopping this person from doing that.

A child who has English as a second language is seen as having a special need – not as having a skill to be lauded from the rooftops. Bilingual children think in different way. Language has a profound effect in shaping the ways people think and act. Certain concepts are embedded in words that do not translate. There are repertoires of phrases which exist in Arabic or Urdu because there is no English equivalent. State schools are slaughter houses and are not suitable for bilingual Muslim children. Muslim children in the UK may lose out when they join reception classes because the school’s values and language reflect those of the dominant native culture, rather than those of their home. Almost all recent research literature agrees that if you want children whose home language is not English to excel in English –medium schools, it is important to nurture and acknowledge that first language along side their English development. Cultivating bilingualism could and should promote pupil’s linguistic development. Muslim children need bilingual Muslim teachers as role models.
What? If the child's first language is not the dominant language of the country, then by all means, have them taught by bilingual teachers. I don't see how this is a failing of the state school system.

Taxpayers’ money spent on schools should be handed to parents as vouchers to be used for their children’s education as they wished.
Huh? If you're getting the money* back in the form of a voucher**, why spend it in the first place?

*which you can spend in any way you wish.

**which you can only spend in one way.

Funds may be given to parents to set up their own schools.
Private schools are not publically funded.

Lady Uddin argues strongly for the benefits of faith-based schooling, rejecting claims made in reports on the 2001 riots in Oldham, Burnley and Bradford that polarised schooling contributed to community division. Culturally separate groups, communities and institutions do not have to be the causes of social instability. There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools to be managed and controlled by Muslim Educational Trust and Charities.
Why? By that line of logic, all state schools would be managed and controlled by the dominant religion of their pupils, rather than a uniform curriculum.

By all means, open faith schools, but asking for them to be state-funded is silly.

The Private Islamic School I went to is now State-Funded.

The best thing they ever did.
Oh? Cool. I did not know they could do that. I'm silly for saying 'asking for them to be state-funded is silly'.

Fishman
12-12-2008, 08:30 PM
[...]for the first time the Muslim leadership openly declared that British school is a home of institutional racism where there is no place for foreign culture and languages.
:sl:
1. Muslim leadership?!:ooh: Quick, somebody tell me what happened over the last ten minutes!!!

It seems like they are ranting over nothing and trying to rock the boat. All (or most of) the flaws in the secular education system related to Muslims/Islam either can't be solved (racist kids, people turning into gangsta thugs, bullying), or won't be solved simply due to the secular nature of both the schools and Britain itself. As Muzzein said, for most issues, if you don't like it then go to an Islamic school.
:w:

Hamayun
12-13-2008, 10:33 AM
We Muslims are gonna lose credibility if we keep "Crying Wolf!" all the time!

We can't just use the "racist"card whenever we feel like :?

We Muslims need to stop whining!!!! If you are living in a Western Country be grateful to them for letting you in with open arms.

Do you spit in the same plate you eat in?

Rather than being an example for others to follow we spend all our time pointing fingers at the "Kaafirs" and condemning them to death.

When you are surrounded by darkness, cursing the darkness will not help... you need to become the beacon that spreads light...

Olive
12-13-2008, 11:58 AM
What's wrong with having an Islamic school which is state-funded?

It saves alot of money for the parents. It's like £1000+ annual fee if it's private...

Whatsthepoint
12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hanz
What's wrong with having an Islamic school which is state-funded?

It saves alot of money for the parents. It's like £1000+ annual fee if it's private...
Why not make every private school public funded? Some parents could save tens of thousands of pounds per year.

Olive
12-13-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't see your point...?

Tony
12-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Might be a bit idealistic but shouldnt all walks be represented in a democracy then people be helped to make an informed desiscion:nervous:

Whatsthepoint
12-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't see your point...?
My point was that it's the parents choice to send their children to a private school instead of a public one, so they should pay for it themselves.e exceedingly higher
Besides, if the state decides to publically fund religious schools what's preventing it from funding elite private school, tution fees of which are much higher.

Whatsthepoint
12-13-2008, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
Might be a bit idealistic but shouldnt all walks be represented in a democracy then people be helped to make an informed desiscion:nervous:
All walks should be represented, however the state shouldn't be expected to pay for them.

Olive
12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
My point was that it's the parents choice to send their children to a private school instead of a public one, so they should pay for it themselves.e exceedingly higher
Besides, if the state decides to publically fund religious schools what's preventing it from funding elite private school, tution fees of which are much higher.
Becaues private school and religious schools are different...

Private schools are generally the ones which excel in education and religious schools uphold whatever religion that school is based on.

My point is that I don't see anything wrong with the state funded religious schools, not private schools.

Tony
12-13-2008, 12:30 PM
All walks should be represented, however the state shouldn't be expected to pay for them.
Um I disagree to an extent, speaking as an Englishman, we invited many nationalities to this country who have subsequently held our economy afloat, I think the least they can expect is to have their faith represented within education and the choice to use it. Maybe state should pay for this and and encourage economic growth when pupils receive education in an environment condusive to better outcomes. like I said its a bit idealistic but on paper it makes sense

Whatsthepoint
12-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Um I disagree to an extent, speaking as an Englishman, we invited many nationalities to this country who have subsequently held our economy afloat, I think the least they can expect is to have their faith represented within education and the choice to use it. Maybe state should pay for this and and encourage economic growth when pupils receive education in an environment condusive to better outcomes. like I said its a bit idealistic but on paper it makes sense
Muslim pupils can choose Islam for their religious studies.
Integration is what the state should work for and I don't think funding religious schools is a step in the right direction.
Bilingual or even-more-lingual teachers in public schools are a good idea though.

Tony
12-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Muslim pupils can choose Islam for their religious studies.Integration is what the state should work for and I don't think funding religious schools is a step in the right direction.
Bilingual or even-more-lingual teachers in public schools are a good idea though.
Its a good point and yes bilingual teachers could have huge impact, my kids are new in school and when Eid came and Diwali the children were allowed there own clothes for a day, but xmas is here and its holidays, plays (nativity) and parties, I think there is a compromise but in an idealistic world I still think faiths and there offspring would benefit from faith schools. For instance a Muslim child should begin salaat prayers from 7 yrs old, school could cover this. I think your idea would work, but I think mine would be perfect (ish), and I still think it should be state funded (hyperthetically).:?

Whatsthepoint
12-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Becaues private school and religious schools are different...

Private schools are generally the ones which excel in education and religious schools uphold whatever religion that school is based on.

My point is that I don't see anything wrong with the state funded religious schools, not private schools.
Well I do.

Olive
12-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Well I do.
So that's the end of our discussion? :p

Whatsthepoint
12-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Its a good point and yes bilingual teachers could have huge impact, my kids are new in school and when Eid came and Diwali the children were allowed there own clothes for a day, but xmas is here and its holidays, plays (nativity) and parties, I think there is a compromise but in an idealistic world I still think faiths and there offspring would benefit from faith schools. For instance a Muslim child should begin salaat prayers from 7 yrs old, school could cover this. I think your idea would work, but I think mine would be perfect (ish), and I still think it should be state funded (hyperthetically).:?
I am against public school setting up nativity plays.
You see, I just don't think the state should pay for children to learn their prayers in time..
And as I said, having Muslim children in Muslim schools will lead into more social distortion between minorities and majorities.
Besides, if the state decides to finance religous schools, it should fund all non-public schools which I am sure would be to expensive.

Whatsthepoint
12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
So that's the end of our discussion? :p
haha, I guess so.

Tony
12-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I am against public school setting up nativity plays.
You see, I just don't think the state should pay for children to learn their prayers in time..
And as I said, having Muslim children in Muslim schools will lead into more social distortion between minorities and majorities.
Besides, if the state decides to finance religous schools, it should fund all non-public schools which I am sure would be to expensive.
We have to differ on prayer. Get your point on social distortion, yes we should be intergrated andsocially included. Again idealistically we stop building roads, wars and illegal immigration and put money into schools. Maybe have mixed schools and allow pupils of different faiths to have days or half days to study individual religions. Are we getting near a compromise my friend

Whatsthepoint
12-13-2008, 12:59 PM
We have to differ on prayer. Get your point on social distortion, yes we should be intergrated andsocially included. Again idealistically we stop building roads, wars and illegal immigration and put money into schools. Maybe have mixed schools and allow pupils of different faiths to have days or half days to study individual religions. Are we getting near a compromise my friend
That's exactly the point. The state should support tolerant, inclusive, multi-faith and at the same time secular schools.

Tony
12-13-2008, 01:02 PM
That's exactly the point. The state should support tolerant, inclusive, multi-faith and at the same time secular schools.
Ok you got me. Pleasure discussing with you. see you later on in forum. peace

Iftikhar
12-18-2008, 03:54 PM
. Multi-faith Schools

• A Muslim charity In Swindon is bidding to run the first Multi-faith Muslim School for Muslim and non-Muslim children and have teachers from different faiths. An hour of the timetable each day would be dedicated to studying Arabic and the Holy Quran. Non-Muslims pupils would be able to be exempted from the lessons, but it is hoped that the majority would choose to stay in class to gain more “insight” into the Islamic faith.

• In my opinion, Multifaith school is not going to be successful because non-Muslim parents would not send their children. In the past, a plan for a Multi-faith secondary school in Westminster for 1000 pupils could not be materialised because faith groups could not come to any agreement. Now even Hindu community has set up state funded school in Harrow. Black community is also thinking of setting up its own school with Black teachers.

• According to David Lammy MP, there are still too many inequalities in the education system which prevents disadvantaged children from applying to study for a degree. British schooling is wholly responsible for the inequalities. A culture of low expectation and a lack of rigour holding these pupils back. Every child must reach his full potential regardless of his background. Justice Secretary Jack Straw MP said British society should be one which recognizes and celebrates differences. One in which we all have an opportunity to flourish, regardless of who we are or where we are from. British schooling has been trying to integrate and assimilate Muslim community through education in the name of integration. The Imams and Masajid have been playing their parts to keep Islamic faith alive, but that is not enough. British schooling does not promote global cohesion. It does not encourage dialogue and increases understanding.

• Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. They need to learn and be well versed in Standard English to follow the National Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity. They need to learn and be well versed in Arabic to recite and understand the Holy Quran. They need to learn and be well versed in Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural roots and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry.
• Iftikhar Ahmad

Iftikhar
12-30-2008, 10:35 PM
. Multi-faith Schools

• A Muslim charity In Swindon is bidding to run the first Multi-faith Muslim School for Muslim and non-Muslim children and have teachers from different faiths. An hour of the timetable each day would be dedicated to studying Arabic and the Holy Quran. Non-Muslims pupils would be able to be exempted from the lessons, but it is hoped that the majority would choose to stay in class to gain more “insight” into the Islamic faith.

• In my opinion, Multifaith school is not going to be successful because non-Muslim parents would not send their children. In the past, a plan for a Multi-faith secondary school in Westminster for 1000 pupils could not be materialised because faith groups could not come to any agreement. Now even Hindu community has set up state funded school in Harrow. Black community is also thinking of setting up its own school with Black teachers.

• According to David Lammy MP, there are still too many inequalities in the education system which prevents disadvantaged children from applying to study for a degree. British schooling is wholly responsible for the inequalities. A culture of low expectation and a lack of rigour holding these pupils back. Every child must reach his full potential regardless of his background. Justice Secretary Jack Straw MP said British society should be one which recognizes and celebrates differences. One in which we all have an opportunity to flourish, regardless of who we are or where we are from. British schooling has been trying to integrate and assimilate Muslim community through education in the name of integration. The Imams and Masajid have been playing their parts to keep Islamic faith alive, but that is not enough. British schooling does not promote global cohesion. It does not encourage dialogue and increases understanding.

• Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. They need to learn and be well versed in Standard English to follow the National Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity. They need to learn and be well versed in Arabic to recite and understand the Holy Quran. They need to learn and be well versed in Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural roots and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry.
• Iftikhar Ahmad

Iftikhar
01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
. Multi-faith Schools

• Iftikhar Ahmad

Banu_Hashim
01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Here, in Bristol we have Andalusia Academy; a Primary and Secondary (Girls) School with an Islamic ethos. The only of it's kind in the South West. Apparently it recently received an excellent Ofsted report. (And my mum teaches there :p)

http://www.andalusiaacademy.org.uk/

Wyatt
01-18-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't think it would work if their target was to mix pupils of different faiths and have all study Islam to gain more insight into that one religion. Parents would complain that they're trying to convert their children.

I do, however, think that a muslim school that accepts children of other faiths would work.

Even as a non-muslim, I would like my child to attend an Islamic school, personally. I would also encourage my child to learn Arabic and study the Qur'an. (However, I'm yet to graduate from High School this year myself. :D)

jenwen74
01-19-2009, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Here, in Bristol we have Andalusia Academy; a Primary and Secondary (Girls) School with an Islamic ethos. The only of it's kind in the South West. Apparently it recently received an excellent Ofsted report. (And my mum teaches there :p)

http://www.andalusiaacademy.org.uk/
Meshallah, how lovely. I live in Bournemouth and wish that my daughter could attend this school one day. I will try my best to move to Bristol!!!! Inshallah.

north_malaysian
01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
i was admitted to a muslim missionary kindergarten, and about 10% of my classmates were non-Muslims... all of us attended islamic education classes too... and i didnt hear of any non-Muslim parents objecting to that...

Banu_Hashim
01-19-2009, 07:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jenwen74
Meshallah, how lovely. I live in Bournemouth and wish that my daughter could attend this school one day. I will try my best to move to Bristol!!!! Inshallah.
InshAllah. Also, the Qur'an teacher is apparently very good.

Wyatt
01-19-2009, 07:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
i was admitted to a muslim missionary kindergarten, and about 10% of my classmates were non-Muslims... all of us attended islamic education classes too... and i didnt hear of any non-Muslim parents objecting to that...
Was that in the US? :X
Sorry, I was talking about here where anyone finds anything over which to file a lawsuit.

:-[

Dawud_uk
01-19-2009, 07:36 AM

this wouldnt work if the school was just the same as the other schools around it, if however it had a better ethos and behaviour of students, exam results and the children were coming out better than the other schools around them then over time non muslims would send their kids.

i have heard this has happened in some inner city islamic schools in america, that the non muslims will send their children to be educated there even though he/she is at risk of becomming muslim because the other schools are so dire.

Banu_Hashim
01-19-2009, 07:42 AM
When I was younger, I went to a Roman Catholic Primary School, as opposed to the other 'normal' primary schools in the area. This was partly because as a faith school it had more discipline and a respectful ethos. I think me and my sister were the only Muslims at the time, and in hindsight it was quite a good school compared to other ones.

north_malaysian
01-19-2009, 08:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Podarok
Was that in the US? :X
Sorry, I was talking about here where anyone finds anything over which to file a lawsuit.

:-[
nope.. in Malaysia...

there are Muslims in Christian missionary schools too...

Whatsthepoint
01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
In my opinion, Multifaith school is not going to be successful because non-Muslim parents would not send their children. In the past, a plan for a Multi-faith secondary school in Westminster for 1000 pupils could not be materialised because faith groups could not come to any agreement. Now even Hindu community has set up state funded school in Harrow. Black community is also thinking of setting up its own school with Black teachers..
That's just stupid and can only lead into further segregation.

The Ruler
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM
What exactly do they mean by a multi-faith school?

That's just stupid and can only lead into further segregation.
Agreed. Not only that, but the idea of the Black community setting up schools with Black teachers would mean the return of apartheid.

MO783
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM

I think its good to have multi faith schools. just have to make sure they follow the guidelines set by the goverments just not to give them any excuse

Al-Zaara
01-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I've attended Swedish speaking schools here in Finland, mixed with Christians and 4-5 Muslims in the whole school.
Us, who were non-Christian (Evangelic Lutheran and Orthodox Christians), were taught this awesome subject, roughly translated, 'Outlook on life'.

I'd recommend every child to attend classes like that. :D

Whatsthepoint
01-19-2009, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
I've attended Swedish speaking schools here in Finland, mixed with Christians and 4-5 Muslims in the whole school.
Us, who were non-Christian (Evangelic Lutheran and Orthodox Christians), were taught this awesome subject, roughly translated, 'Outlook on life'.

Why did you choose to attend Swedish schools if you don't mind my asking?

Al-Zaara
01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Why did you choose to attend Swedish schools if you don't mind my asking?
My parents decided so. To be able to speak both national languages. One of the best things they've ever done to me, elhamdulillah. :D

north_malaysian
01-20-2009, 05:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara

in our public schools, all Muslim students must attend religious classes while the non-Muslims must attend "Moral Education" classes... the non-Muslims also can choose to attend "Bible Knowledge" classes too... if it's offered by the school

Every school that has a minimum of 5 Muslim students must have at least one Islamic religious teacher and it's a trend today for the Muslims to send their kids to Chinese schools (Mandarin as medium of instruction)..

Silver
01-20-2009, 05:53 AM
I do think that non-muslim parents would not send their children. Where, I live there is a muslim school and it's one of the best schools in the area but there are almost no christians that go to that school. Their parents refuse to let them go to a muslim school even though it has a great academic level...they even refuse to let them go to public schools where most students are muslims. So even if they don't have enough money, they will enroll their kids in private schools...
I went to a catholic school and 60% of the students were muslims! The other christian schools all had a lot of muslim students... When they would go and study things about the christian faith, we'd do other activities. It was ok and I loved my school...

Al-Zaara
01-20-2009, 11:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
in our public schools, all Muslim students must attend religious classes while the non-Muslims must attend "Moral Education" classes... the non-Muslims also can choose to attend "Bible Knowledge" classes too... if it's offered by the school
Just like us, but the other way around. I got the ability to attend Islamic classes aswell, elhamdulillah. Can Muslims attend the "Moral Education" classes? And what does "Moral Education" include?

Iftikhar
01-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Salaam

The demand for Muslim schools comes from parents who want their children a safe environment with an Islamic ethos.Parents see Muslim schools where
children can develop their Islamic Identity where they won't feel
stigmatised for being Muslims and they can feel confident about their faith.
Muslim schools are working to try to create a bridge between communities.
There is a belief among ethnic minority parens that the British schooling
does not adequatly address their cultural needs. Failing to meet this need
could result in feeling resentment among a group who already feel excluded.
Setting up Muslim school is a defensive response.

State schools with monolingual teachers are not capable to teach English to
bilingual Muslim children. Bilingual teachers are needed to teach English to
such children along with their mother tongue. According to a number of of
studies, a child will not learn a second language if his first language is
ignored.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual
Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. Muslims
have the right to educate their children in an environment that suits their
culture. This notion of "integration", actually means "assimilation", by
which people generally really mean "be more like me". That is not
multiculturalism. In Sydney, Muslims were refused to build a Muslim school,
because of a protest by the residents. Yet a year later, permission was
given for the building of a Catholic school and no protests from the
residents. This clrearly shows the blatant hypocrisy, double standards and
racism. Christians oppose Muslim schools in western countries yet build
their own religious schools.

British schooling and the British society is the home of institutional
racism. The result is that Muslim children are unable to develop
self-confidence and self-esteem, therefore, majority of them leave schools
with low grades. Racism is deeply rooted in British society. Every native
child is born with a gene or virus of racism, therefore, no law could change
the attitudes of racism towards those who are different. It is not only the
common man, even member of the royal family is involved in racism. The
father of a Pakistani office cadet who was called a "Paki" by Prince Harry
has profoundly condemned his actions. He had felt proud when he met the
Queen and the Prince of Wales at his son's passing out parade at Sandhurst
in 2006 but now felt upset after learning about the Prince's comments. Queen
Victoria invited an Imam from India to teach her Urdu language. He was
highly respected by the Queen but other members of the royal family had no
respect for him. He was forced to go back to India. His protrait is still in
one of the royal places.

Thee are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In
my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools
with bilingual Muslim teachers. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or
a teacher in a Muslim school.

Dawud_uk
01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Salaam

The demand for Muslim schools comes from parents who want their children a safe environment with an Islamic ethos.Parents see Muslim schools where
children can develop their Islamic Identity where they won't feel
stigmatised for being Muslims and they can feel confident about their faith.
does not adequatly address their cultural needs. Failing to meet this need
could result in feeling resentment among a group who already feel excluded.
Setting up Muslim school is a defensive response.

State schools with monolingual teachers are not capable to teach English to
bilingual Muslim children. Bilingual teachers are needed to teach English to
such children along with their mother tongue. According to a number of of
studies, a child will not learn a second language if his first language is
ignored.

residents. This clrearly shows the blatant hypocrisy, double standards and
racism. Christians oppose Muslim schools in western countries yet build

self-confidence and self-esteem, therefore, majority of them leave schools
with low grades. Racism is deeply rooted in British society. Every native
child is born with a gene or virus of racism, therefore, no law could change
the attitudes of racism towards those who are different. It is not only the
common man, even member of the royal family is involved in racism. The
in 2006 but now felt upset after learning about the Prince's comments. Queen
Victoria invited an Imam from India to teach her Urdu language. He was
highly respected by the Queen but other members of the royal family had no
respect for him. He was forced to go back to India. His protrait is still in
one of the royal places.

Thee are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In
my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools
with bilingual Muslim teachers. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or
a teacher in a Muslim school.

asabiyyah live and well on this board it seems,

so english people are inherently racist? this is extremely insulting to every revert and non muslim on this board.

there are those who wish that the muslims should intergrate, intergration meaning we mix all together and some mish mash comes out the other end, but that means giving up some of our islamic indentity.

others say (like the poster here it seems) we should isolate, cut ourselves off from the non muslims, but that means giving up our fard duty to give da'wah and to be frank if you are not going to give da'wah you've got no business living in darul kufr.

finally... there are those who call for interaction, not to lose our own islamic indentity but not to isolate ourselves either, this is the middle path of islam not the moderist intergration or the cultural jahil attitude of isolation.

Thinker
01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
. Multi-faith Schools

In my opinion, Multifaith school is not going to be successful because non-Muslim parents would not send their children.
Do NOT agree with you there. It depends on where the school is and what is available but I believe most British parents would choose the school offering the best education no matter what the religion was. When I was younger I knew of people sending their children to the jewish school for that very reason. It wasn't that the teachers were any better, it was because they filtered out disruptive children from applicants.

Iftikhar
02-06-2009, 10:04 PM
The demand for Muslim schools comes from parents who want their children a safe environment with an Islamic ethos.Parents see Muslim schools where children can develop their Islamic Identity where they won't feel stigmatised for being Muslims and they can feel confident about their faith.
Muslim schools are working to try to create a bridge between communities. There is a belief among ethnic minority parens that the British schooling does not adequatly address their cultural needs. Failing to meet this need could result in feeling resentment among a group who already feel excluded. Setting up Muslim school is a defensive response.

State schools with monolingual teachers are not capable to teach English to bilingual Muslim children. Bilingual teachers are needed to teach English to such children along with their mother tongue. According to a number of of studies, a child will not learn a second language if his first language is ignored.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. Muslims have the right to educate their children in an environment that suits their culture. This notion of "integration", actually means "assimilation", by which people generally really mean "be more like me". That is not multiculturalism. In Sydney, Muslims were refused to build a Muslim school, because of a protest by the residents. Yet a year later, permission was given for the building of a Catholic school and no protests from the residents. This clrearly shows the blatant hypocrisy, double standards and racism. Christians oppose Muslim schools in western countries yet build their own religious schools.

British schooling and the British society is the home of institutional racism. The result is that Muslim children are unable to develop
self-confidence and self-esteem, therefore, majority of them leave schools with low grades. Racism is deeply rooted in British society. Every native child is born with a gene or virus of racism, therefore, no law could change the attitudes of racism towards those who are different. It is not only the common man, even member of the royal family is involved in racism. The father of a Pakistani office cadet who was called a "Paki" by Prince Harry
has profoundly condemned his actions. He had felt proud when he met the Queen and the Prince of Wales at his son's passing out parade at Sandhurst in 2006 but now felt upset after learning about the Prince's comments. Queen Victoria invited an Imam from India to teach her Urdu language. He was highly respected by the Queen but other members of the royal family had no respect for him. He was forced to go back to India. His protrait is still in one of the royal places.

There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools with bilingual Muslim teachers. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.
Iftikhar Ahmad

Iftikhar
03-20-2009, 09:45 PM
The demand for Muslim schools comes from parents who want their children a safe environment with an Islamic ethos.Parents see Muslim schools where children can develop their Islamic Identity where they won't feel stigmatised for being Muslims and they can feel confident about their faith.
does not adequatly address their cultural needs. Failing to meet this need could result in feeling resentment among a group who already feel excluded. Setting up Muslim school is a defensive response.

State schools with monolingual teachers are not capable to teach English to bilingual Muslim children. Bilingual teachers are needed to teach English to such children along with their mother tongue. According to a number of studies, a child will not learn a second language if his first language is ignored.

residents. This clrearly shows the blatant hypocrisy, double standards and racism. Christians oppose Muslim schools in western countries yet build

self-confidence and self-esteem, therefore, majority of them leave schools with low grades. Racism is deeply rooted in British society. Every native child is born with a gene or virus of racism, therefore, no law could change the attitudes of racism towards those who are different. It is not only the common man, even member of the royal family is involved in racism. The
in 2006 but now felt upset after learning about the Prince's comments. Queen Victoria invited an Imam from India to teach her Urdu language. He was highly respected by the Queen but other members of the royal family had no respect for him. He was forced to go back to India. His protrait is still in one of the royal places.

There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools with bilingual Muslim teachers. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.
Iftikhar Ahmad

Dawud_uk
03-21-2009, 07:15 AM
does not adequatly address their cultural needs. Failing to meet this need could result in feeling resentment among a group who already feel excluded. Setting up Muslim school is a defensive response.

State schools with monolingual teachers are not capable to teach English to bilingual Muslim children. Bilingual teachers are needed to teach English to such children along with their mother tongue. According to a number of studies, a child will not learn a second language if his first language is ignored.

residents. This clrearly shows the blatant hypocrisy, double standards and racism. Christians oppose Muslim schools in western countries yet build

self-confidence and self-esteem, therefore, majority of them leave schools with low grades. Racism is deeply rooted in British society. Every native child is born with a gene or virus of racism, therefore, no law could change the attitudes of racism towards those who are different. It is not only the common man, even member of the royal family is involved in racism. The
in 2006 but now felt upset after learning about the Prince's comments. Queen Victoria invited an Imam from India to teach her Urdu language. He was highly respected by the Queen but other members of the royal family had no respect for him. He was forced to go back to India. His protrait is still in one of the royal places.

Iftikhar Ahmad

as one of those native born children you consider to have the virus or gene for racism i find your post offensive and bizzare.

Thinker
03-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Muslims have the right to educate their children in an environment that suits their culture.
Iftikhar Ahmad
Indeed they do, that's one of the benefits you get from living in a country that respects and grants individuals rights and freedom but what makes you think that it must be funded by non-Muslims?

And if conditions are so bad and you can't get the education you feel your children deserve and this issue is so important to you why not move to a Muslim country?

Snowflake
03-21-2009, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

as one of those native born children you consider to have the virus or gene for racism i find your post offensive and bizzare.
likewise! Britain is a great country and gives ethnic minorities more rights than ethnic minorities in "muslim" countries get. Truth hurts, doesn't it? Education begins at home. It's funny how parents don't teach their children about Islam and culture at home and then moan about them losing their identity in non-muslim schools.

Hamayun
03-21-2009, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
likewise! Britain is a great country and gives ethnic minorities more rights than ethnic minorities in "muslim" countries get. Truth hurts, doesn't it? Education begins at home. It's funny how parents don't teach their children about Islam and culture at home and then moan about them losing their identity in non-muslim schools.

Well said.

I have to admit my daughter goes to a Muslim school that is costing us an arm and a leg but I wouldn't expect the Govt to pay for it.

England is a great country and the people in general are very fair... even though there are some very racist people where I live it doesn't bother me.

Overall this is a great country! Compare it to France where the Hijab has been banned.

Tony
03-21-2009, 08:56 PM

Me too, I am a white English revert. I am sick to the back teeth of both asian and white English people expecting me to be rascist, never have been and never will be. I get white people sying things to me that are rascist when they dont know me but expect me to agree with their veiws and I see the contempt in the eyes of some Muslims who think they are looking at some sort of white devil !!! I think some of it must be the way I look-15 stone, shaved head, 6ft etc. The most bizzarre thing is that the real respect I witnessed face to face with both races has been on the mat in TKD when trying to anihalate each other ! I think all faiths should be available at both mixed faith and single faith schools then we can take out choices on merit of individual familly ethics. What I suggest the thread starter does is examine why he thinks all our kids are born with rascist genes, he may have made a genuine mistake, if not BOO im watching you and your kind.

GreyKode
03-21-2009, 09:08 PM
And if conditions are so bad and you can't get the education you feel your children deserve and this issue is so important to you why not move to a Muslim country?
IMHO, I think he's right. Better than having everybody complaining of how we muslims stay in their lands and wear the Niqab and the Hijab and grow beards and do all sorts of muslim stuff, I would say give up the nice living and come back to your homeland and live with dignity.

Uthman
03-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Would Muslim countries really offer a better standard of Islamic education than can be provided here?

GreyKode
03-21-2009, 09:24 PM
If youre asking me I donnow, but I just was pointing out that you will have to deal with people saying stuff like this :

Indeed they do, that's one of the benefits you get from living in a country that respects and grants individuals rights and freedom but what makes you think that it must be funded by non-Muslims?

Dawud_uk
03-22-2009, 06:48 AM

i dont have an issue with islamic faith schools, but this is the same as other faiths get already.

what i have a problem with is muslim schools, not islamic schools. schools which follow a particular muslim culture not an overall islamic one.

its not really relevent to me anyway as i plan on homeschooling inshallah and am opting out of the school system as flawed and messed up as it is.

Iftikhar
04-14-2009, 03:31 PM

There is a belief among ethnic minority parens that the British schooling does not adequatly address their cultural needs. Failing to meet this need could result in feeling resentment among a group who already feel excluded. Setting up Muslim school is a defensive response.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. Muslims
have the right to educate their children in an environment that suits their culture. This notion of "integration", actually means "assimilation", by which people generally really mean "be more like me". That is not
multiculturalism. In Sydney, Muslims were refused to build a Muslim school, because of a protest by the residents. Yet a year later, permission was
given for the building of a Catholic school and no protests from the residents. This clrearly shows the blatant hypocrisy, double standards and racism. Christians oppose Muslim schools in western countries yet build

British schooling and the British society is the home of institutional racism. The result is that Muslim children are unable to develop self-confidence and self-esteem, therefore, majority of them leave schools with low grades. Racism is deeply rooted in British society. Every native child is born with a gene or virus of racism, therefore, no law could change the attitudes of racism towards those who are different. It is not only the common man, even member of the royal family is involved in racism. The
father of a Pakistani office cadet who was called a "***" by Prince Harry has profoundly condemned his actions. He had felt proud when he met the Queen and the Prince of Wales at his son's passing out parade at Sandhurst

Iftikhar Ahmad

burdenofbeing
04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
all religious schools should be private funded.

Sahabiyaat
04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
i did a really long and tedious essay on this subject.

There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school
i really disagree! why do u feel this?

Dawud_uk
04-15-2009, 05:44 AM

i know you are well intentioned by your efforts to keep reposting this article over and over to get publicity for your cause but could i please ask you to change the part where you say every native child is born with the seed of racism?

this society is racist and corrupt i agree, but to say every british child is born racist is not only incorrect but going against the principles of the deen where we are told every child is born upon the fitrah, being muslim.

it is also a very offensive comment to make to any revert reading it and i know plenty of arabs, pakistanis, bangladeshis etc who are racist but i wouldnt say they are born this way, just raised by ignorant parents who didnt know better and just taught them to hate the gori out of ignorance.

we are muslims because of our way of life, not because of skin colour or language or culture.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-15-2009, 05:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
Agreed. Thanks:bump1:

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-15-2009, 05:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat

i really disagree! why do u feel this?
So do I. Also any idea how many non Catholics go to catholic school?:statisfie

czgibson
04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
Absolutely right.

Muslim funded Muslim schools should be the aim. Personally I disagree with any religiously motivated schooling, but I accept that many people want it. If they want to put their children through that, then who am I to stop them? Just don't expect me and other taxpayers to be happy about paying for it.

Peace

S_87
04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
whilst i agree that it is nice to have state funded muslim schools, they way you have written this article to make it seem like muslims should live in a cocoon in a school is wrong. no non muslim teachers or students? yet you say:

that wont create a bridge unless the bridge has a whole in the middle.

and what is going to happen when these kids go into the big bad world and are sorrounded by non muslims in college/university and work etc?

3isha
04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
i agree with state funded Muslim schools. i go to one 2
the thing with some of the private ones are, the education with regards to the national curriculum is not always up to standards and nor are the facilities.

Thinker
04-16-2009, 07:18 PM
State schools with monolingual teachers are not capable to teach English to bilingual Muslim children.
Iftikhar Ahmad
Why must my taxes pay for a foreigner to learn English?

This notion of "integration", actually means "assimilation", by which people generally really mean "be more like me". That is not
multiculturalism.
Iftikhar Ahmad
Multiculturalism has been recognised as divisive and no longer a policy of any political party; the new policy is ‘integration.’

British schooling and the British society is the home of institutional racism.
Iftikhar Ahmad
What utter rubbish and Islam and Muslims are not a race.

Racism is deeply rooted in British society. Every native child is born with a gene or virus of racism, therefore, no law could change the attitudes of racism towards those who are different.
Iftikhar Ahmad
That statement is racist; hence you are racist.

There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.
Iftikhar Ahmad
You can’t have a state funded school that refuses entry to a child of any other religion, you can show preference to those who are of the religion of that school but the school MUST include children of other religions; that’s the law. I have a friend who works in the education department of a city in the UK who told me about a Jewish school under his jurisdiction where the non-Jewish children out-number the Jewish children and a sizeable number of the non-Jewish children are Muslim.

Thinker
04-16-2009, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
So do I. Also any idea how many non Catholics go to catholic school?:statisfie
In the UK the majority of Muslims attend Catholic schools

Dawud_uk
04-17-2009, 05:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
In the UK the majority of Muslims attend Catholic schools
do you have any evidence for that statement or did you just hear it somewhere?

it has never been my experience living here to find muslims attending catholic schools, church of england schools yes, as they dont really teach religion but i know only a handful of muslim families who send their kids to catholic schools.

Thinker
04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
do you have any evidence for that statement or did you just hear it somewhere?

it has never been my experience living here to find muslims attending catholic schools, church of england schools yes, as they dont really teach religion but i know only a handful of muslim families who send their kids to catholic schools.
I do . . . . . as I stated I have a friend who works in the department of education and he told me that because Catholic schools have some single sex schools they are often the preferred placings for Muslims.

Uthman
04-17-2009, 05:22 PM
I wonder whether the majority of Muslims living in the UK are actually religious? I strongly doubt that there are any statistics on this though.

Thinker
04-17-2009, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
I wonder whether the majority of Muslims living in the UK are actually religious? I strongly doubt that there are any statistics on this though.
I also wonder, I was surprised when my friend in the education department told me that quite a few Muslims attend a Jewish school in his area. Why would they do that and why would the school take them I asked? He said that the Muslims choose the Jewish school because it has a better academic record than the local state school and the school accepts them in the hope it promotes better understanding and tolerance.

Perhaps Iftikhar would tell me whether places would be offered to Jewish kids in the Muslim school he is calling for?

Dawud_uk
04-18-2009, 07:01 AM
I do . . . . . as I stated I have a friend who works in the department of education and he told me that because Catholic schools have some single sex schools they are often the preferred placings for Muslims.
ok but that is not what you stated, i know some muslims do send them to them but the overwhelming majority dont, there are simply not enough catholic schools for all the catholics nevermind the muslims so i think your friend my be right in saying muslims prefer single sex schools wherever they can find them but this doesnt mean most muslims send their children to catholic schools.

Iftikhar
05-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Established 1981
London School of Islamics
An Educational Trust
63 Margery Park Road London E7 9LD
Email: info@londonschoolofislamics.org.uk
Tel/Fax: 0208 555 2733 / 07817 112 667

Racism and Underachievement

It is absurd to say that institutional racism is dead. It is still alive in the form of Islamophobia. . One of the deepest expressions of institutional racism affecting immigrant communities, and one that has been long documented is the unequal treatment of their children by the education system. They are motivated, but knocked back by their experiences of the school system. They are often treated more harshly and viewed with lower teacher expectation on the basis of teachers’ assumptions about their motivation and ability.

LAs are failing in their duty to combat racism in schools, according to OFSTED, Education system exhibits “aspects of racism”. A quarter of authorities are not doing enough to promote equal educational opportunities. A Brighton University study found that the Britain education system is institutionally racist, with pupils and teachers vulnerable to abuse by peers, teachers and management. I discovered the element of racism in early 70s. National Curriculum does not reflect cultural diversity and minority pupils are being held back by native teachers. London Borough of Newham was judged by OFSTED as unsatisfactory in tackling racism. There are big issues about racism in schools needed to be tackled but could not understand that Bilingual Muslim pupils need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. It is a crime against humanity to deprive a child of his mother tongue but in the name of integration every thing is fair. Independent schools are also racist in nature. The parents of a Pakistani boy who was racially abused by his classmates and teachers are suing St. Christopher School.

Education report by Birmingham Advisory Service recommends that school lessons should take into account cultural differences in order to improve pupils’ performance. It calls for teaching “the need for mutual respect and understanding”. Minority pupils are underachieving at school because the curriculum is racist. The study found lessons often failed to motivate or interest pupils because curriculum did not provide enough positive role models. The curriculum needs to be more balanced and less Eurocentric. Pupils grow up thinking there is no other playwright than Shakespeare. An ethnicity “Tsar” should be appointed to reform British schooling. Muslim schools performed best overall, although they constitute only a fraction of the country’s 7000 schools. Muslim schools do well because of their Islamic ethos and a focus on traditional discipline and teaching methods. They teach children what is right and what is wrong, because young children need structural guidance. Muslim school is responsible for the development of the whole child. Muslim schools give Muslim children “pride, identity and a sense of culture and languages.
Iftikhar Ahmad

Iftikhar
05-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Salaam

Muslim children have been attending state schools for tha last 60 years. They have been suffering from Paki-bashing and bullying. Majority of them have been leaving schools with low grades. They have been leaving schools without learning their cultural and linguistic skiils. The result is that they do not know where they belong. They suffer from Identity crises. Now Muslim youths are victim of terrorism. Thousands of them are being searched in streets and hundreds of them are behind the bar without any trial.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.

There are hundreds of state and church schools where Muslim children are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools.

Bilingual Muslim children need to learn and be well versed in standard English to follow the National Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity. At the same time, they need to learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural roots and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry.

A Muslim is a citizen of this tiny global village. He/she does not want to become notorioulsy monolingul Brit.
Iftikhar Ahmad
London School of Islamics Trust

Karina
05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.

There are hundreds of state and church schools where Muslim children are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools.
But where will the non-Muslim-minority children go if their school is now designated as a Muslim school? If there are hundreds of schools, this must mean thare are hundreds or even thousands of these children who would now be displaced. Where would they go?

:?

glo
05-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Greetings, Iftikhar

Did you not start this very same thread four weeks ago? :?
http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...m-schools.html

Perhaps we can continue the conversation there ...

Peace :)

Muhammad
05-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Threads merged - please only post once.

glo
05-17-2009, 04:14 PM
If this brother is interested in promoting the London School of Islamics, perhaps the details would be best placed in the Exchange Links section?

aamirsaab
05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
My 2 pence on the matter:

* Religious schools shouldn't be funded by a government that claims to be secularist...it's rather stupid. I mean, it's like having rhinos make a house for monkeys...when quite clearly the rhinos do not see eye to eye with monkeys. Evidence? How many rhinos do you know that are best pals with monkies? Yeah exactly.

* Multi-religious/cultural schools are awesome. I've actually been in multi-faith/cultural forms of academia all my life and I've met some of the most wonderful people who are of different nationalities and walks of life. If I was a super hero, I'd be multicultural man ('M-M' would be imprinted on the chest area of my awesome blue spandex and I'd have a cape which would be red oh and a utility belt with grappling hook, tricorder and...oh sorry, got a little carried away there!)

* I've also met a lot of racist a-holes during that time but they were all chavs, so were not representative samples of the citizens of England.

Bottom line is most of the people I have met throughout my life have actually been very accepting and nice. Would I have met them in a muslim-only school I don't know - Multicultural Man does not have the ability to go back in time (I'm working on it) all I do know is it worked for me and I have no regrets.

:D

Thinker
05-18-2009, 09:09 AM

It is absurd to say that institutional racism is dead. It is still alive in the form of Islamophobia. .
Plesae explain to me why you feel Muslims are a 'race' as in racism?

Thinker
05-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Established 1981
An Educational Trust
I have just telephoned this place and they tell me that there are 10 state funded Muslim schools and none of them offer places to non Muslims - is that not racist (using your definition of Muslims as a race)?

HopeFul
05-18-2009, 09:20 AM
I would agree but then the private school are worse because they teach a something of one religion, I like judaism n choristianity too and accpet it even though Im a muslim, e.g my son goes to a private school here, a british one, and i had ot hold him ack at home because they wre celebrating some jewish and hindu celebrations..

At least in british stateschool they only learn school, no religion, you can teach them however youw ant in school or seperate muslim schools, muslim centres, mosque qho hold programmes etc...

having said that, it is always best to live in a muslim country the resources for islamic educationa re abundant.

jazakAllah for the post

HopeFul
05-18-2009, 12:21 PM
ohha nd when I wote " I like christianity and judaisn....im a muslim" that is what the schools teach is what I meant..

Iftikhar
05-18-2009, 12:46 PM
I have just telephoned this place and they tell me that there are 10 state funded Muslim schools and none of them offer places to non Muslims - is that not racist (using your definition of Muslims as a race)?

Salaam

In my opinion, it is a crime against humanity to send Muslim children to non-Muslim schools with non-MUslim monolingual teachers.

I set up the first Muslim school in London in 1981 and now there are round about 140 Muslim schools and only ten are state funded. There are 500,000 school aged Muslim children and only about five percent attend Muslim schools while 95% are forced to attend state and church schools to be mis-educated and de-educated by non-Muslim monolingual teachers.

There are hundreds of state and church schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. They are in majority because the native parents remove their children form those schools where they find the number of Muslim children is growing.. It is the native parents who do not want their children to be educated along with Muslim children. Even if, Muslim schools reserve some seats for non-Muslims, I do not think that they will send their children to Muslim schools.

Priority should be given to Muslim children in Muslim schools. Muslim community does not have enough Muslim schools to educate its own children, it is absurd to admit non-Muslim child.

In my opinion, there is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school. Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. For higher education, there is no need for a Muslim college or a university with Muslim teachers.

Tony
05-18-2009, 01:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohsen1985
In 20 years, the UK will be under water, so, no more UK and no more worries :D:thumbs_up
oh dear a genocidal statement if their ever was one

Thinker
05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Salaam

In my opinion, it is a crime against humanity to send Muslim children to non-Muslim schools with non-MUslim monolingual teachers.

I set up the first Muslim school in London in 1981 and now there are round about 140 Muslim schools and only ten are state funded. There are 500,000 school aged Muslim children and only about five percent attend Muslim schools while 95% are forced to attend state and church schools to be mis-educated and de-educated by non-Muslim monolingual teachers.
I don’t know how the state funded Muslims schools get away with denying entry to non Muslims, in fact I’ll be writing to the Ministry of Education asking why there is not quotas. I suspect that you know that unless you start admitting non Muslims into state schools you will not get further funding. It is far too simplistic to say that there are more Muslim children than there are places as a reason for not offering places for non Muslims, you know (I suspect) that it is government policy to encourage all faith schools to offer places to children of other faiths as a means of encouraging understanding and tolerance.

I wonder whether you were the person I spoke to when I telephoned today, the person with a foreign (possibility Pakistani) accent? Could you tell me whether Pakistan funds single faith schools for Christians?

Thinker
05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Established 1981
An Educational Trust
I note this place is styled 'Educational Trust' does that mean it is funded by the British taxpayer?

Thinker
05-18-2009, 07:00 PM
This is where you get your stuff, I presume you are The London School of Islamics?
http://www.londonschoolofislamics.or...91&forum_id=3&

And here are some more discussions from your ‘school’

Female circumcism
http://www.londonschoolofislamics.or...50&forum_id=2&

Cousin marriage
http://www.londonschoolofislamics.or...22&forum_id=2&

Muslims victimised
http://www.londonschoolofislamics.or...25&forum_id=3&

You rant on about how Muslims are badly done to yet publish and so presumably support the aims of articles like the above

LostMember
05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't think the state should fund religious schools. If you truly want your child to grow up in a "muslim friendly" environment - then I suggest that you move to a muslim country.

LostMember
05-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Wow.

Iftikhar
05-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Salaam

In the 70s, I wanted my children to attend church school, but I was not allowed to get them admitted into a local church school becuase of my Islamic faith.

Now church schools admit Muslim children, otherwise, they would have been closed down because they do not get children of Christian faith.

There are two church schools in Bradford with 98% Muslim children. In my opinion, such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools.

Hamayun
05-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Female circumcism??? Since when did that become an obligation on the Sisters??? :?

My daughter goes to an Islamic School and she has never been happier... and no she hasn't turned into a terrorist or a misfit!!!

Faith Schools have existed since the dawn of time and produced very respecable people in the world.

Give it a rest thinker... how much more poison have you got in you?

- Qatada -
05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cf...sub_cat_id=822

It's optional. Prophet Muhammad had many wives, and only one of them was his cousins (Zaynab bint Jahsh.) The rest weren't his cousins and were from other tribes, even other races.

Thinker
05-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Female circumcism??? Since when did that become an obligation on the Sisters??? :?

My daughter goes to an Islamic School and she has never been happier... and no she hasn't turned into a terrorist or a misfit!!!

Faith Schools have existed since the dawn of time and produced very respecable people in the world.

Give it a rest thinker... how much more poison have you got in you?
Here is an organisation who under the banner of Islam promote female circumcism and cousin marriage and campaign for bi-lingual teachers and it’s ME that is spreading poison not them? I wonder whether this is an Islamic organisation or a Pakistani organisation; I believe female circumcism and cousin marriage is a cultural heritage not an Islamic one and I believe it an aspect of Pakistani culture – what language would the bilingual teachers be speaking Arabic or Urdu?

Thinker
05-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Established 1981 Ceased to exist 1991?
An Educational Trust
http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk...idiaryNumber=0

Was a registered charity but ceased to exist in 1991 - I wonder why; could be your source of funding?

Dawud_uk
05-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Here is an organisation who under the banner of Islam promote female circumcism and cousin marriage and campaign for bi-lingual teachers and it’s ME that is spreading poison not them? I wonder whether this is an Islamic organisation or a Pakistani organisation; I believe female circumcism and cousin marriage is a cultural heritage not an Islamic one and I believe it an aspect of Pakistani culture – what language would the bilingual teachers be speaking Arabic or Urdu?
female circumcism is a practice of the malays, and sub saharan africa, as usual thinker you didnt think too hard before making this post.

Thinker
05-19-2009, 11:38 AM
female circumcism is a practice of the malays, and sub saharan africa, as usual thinker you didnt think too hard before making this post.
I know that female circumcism is a part of the culture of several nationalities but I have been told on this forum that it is not a part of Islam and that was my point; this organisation, under the banner of Islam, is publishing material promoting female circucism.

Dawud_uk
05-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I know that female circumcism is a part of the culture of several nationalities but I have been told on this forum that it is not a part of Islam and that was my point; this organisation, under the banner of Islam, is publishing material promoting female circucism.
there is a difference of opinion regarding female circumcision, whether it is an allowable cultural practice or whether it is mustahab (recommended act), either way it is allowed in islam.

now what is agreed is female genital mutilation is prohibited, the two things are very different.

Thinker
05-20-2009, 12:51 PM
there is a difference of opinion regarding female circumcision, whether it is an allowable cultural practice or whether it is mustahab (recommended act), either way it is allowed in islam.
Allowed in Islam . . . hmm that sounds like a bit of a cop out to me. It’s like saying Islam allows you to saw off your feet, it may be allowed but surely any (God given) text purporting to be a guide to how one lives one’s life would guide people away from unnatural acts including self mutilation?

Dawud_uk
05-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Allowed in Islam . . . hmm that sounds like a bit of a cop out to me. It’s like saying Islam allows you to saw off your feet, it may be allowed but surely any (God given) text purporting to be a guide to how one lives one’s life would guide people away from unnatural acts including self mutilation?
actually you would only be allowed to saw off your foot if it would save your life so nasty diseases and bear traps excepted, usually we dont go doing that.

the difference is Allah has made circumcism allowed, you cant grasp that as you dont believe in Allah. if you did we could have a discussion on the meaning of revelation and the need for it etc.

but first of all we need to convince you of there being a creator, everything else is 2ndary compared to that.

Hamayun
05-20-2009, 09:31 PM
but first of all we need to convince you of there being a creator, everything else is 2ndary compared to that.
If that was gonna happen it would have happened a long time ago. I don't see any chances of that happening.

Dawud_uk
05-21-2009, 07:22 AM
If that was gonna happen it would have happened a long time ago. I don't see any chances of that happening.
never say never, abu sufyan entered islam eventually didnt he?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.