/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 deep sea creatures!!

Güven
08-25-2008, 11:29 PM
:sl:

1. Leafy Sea Dragon

Whatever you do, don't put it in your salad.

A leafy sea dragon (phycodurus eques) has long leaf-like protrusions all over its body, serving as camouflage among different types of floating seaweeds or kelp beds. Neither prey nor predators recognize it as a fish.

t's found along the coastline of Australia; a fully grown leafy sea dragon can reach about 45cm (18in). During mating, the female deposits up to 250 bright pink eggs onto a special "brood patch" on the underside of the tail of the male where they are attached and fertilized.

A most distinguished portrait, worthy to be framed:

2. Umbrella Mouth Gulper Eel

Here is a creature from the underwater gates of hell.

The umbrella mouth gulper eel (eurypharynx pelecanoides) can open its "umbrella mouth" to pelican-like proportion, accommodating prey much larger than its size.

Plus it can stretch and expand its stomach! The eel itself can be almost one meter in length, and if it starts expanding... This means it can swallow and devour something more than 1.5 meters long (keep your favorite cat away from it)

3. Firefly Squid

This squid sees the world in color. And it makes deep-blue pretty light itself.

The firefly squid (watasenia scintillans), also called the sparkling enope squid has special deep-blue light producing organs called photophores - by flashing the lights on and off, it can attract prey before trapping it with its tentacles. It's also only cephalopod species which have color vision!

Each year off the coast of Toyama Bay, Japan, billions of these tiny squids will gather to spawn, creating a cool lights show, see above. Boiled firefly squids is also a common food item in Asia:

;D

4. Viperfish

The viperfish (chauliodus sloani) can grow to over half a meter in size... which is simply NOT a comforting thought. Again, it attracts its prey with luminescent spots running from throat to tail... and attracts curious humans, who can not refrain from sticking a finger in its jaws to see what happens.

Luckily for everybody involved, it can go without food for days. Beware of the sharp fangs, even if it's dead -

Are you ready for another nauseating shot? We warned you... Here is an angler fish - with its stomach in its mouth (decompression caused the stomach to invert).

The male who is a lot smaller than the female bites into her and he actually becomes fused to the female for the rest of his life. In deep water environments this allows them to have a higher success rate in breeding where finding a mate can be difficult"

5. Fangtooth, or Ogre Fish

A Fangtooth (anoplogaster cornuta), or ogre fish, dwells mostly in the waters off the coast of Australia... by the way, the waters off Australia seem to teem with all kinds of monsters. It may be ferocious-looking, but it's actually quite small - a maximum length of 17cm.

Its head contains several mucous cavities separated by serrated ridges (I like how this sentence sounds). Its lower teeth are engineered to neatly slide into mouth pockets, when the fish decides to close the gaping jaw (see photo to prove it here)

It is one of the deepest living organisms found yet; it seems to enjoy water temperatures near freezing state. And no, it does not like you, either.:p

6. Hatchetfish

They know what you did last summer.;D

A hatchetfish has extremely thin body, resembling the blade of a hatchet, and tubular large eyes that are permanently fixed looking upwards - this helps them to search for food falling from above. It also gives them a psychotic look, with eyes rolled up and stuck there.

7. Christmas-Tree Worm

Here is something beautiful to feast your eyes on

The christmas-tree worm (spirobranchus giganteus) is a small polychaete worm most often found in the Black Forest Reef and other reefs near Grand Turk.

They hide in the tubes, stick out their heads, and when threatened, pull their heads back into the tube. The feather-like tentacles resembling twin "Christmas trees" are called radioles - they filter the plankton for food, aid in respiration, and allow this worm to sing Christmas carols, very very softly.

8. Giant Basket Star

A tangled wonder among the reefs. Just don't ask what's inside of it.

The giant basket star (astrophyton muricatum) is an early Mesozoic invertebrate, often found around British Virgin Islands.

During the day, it curls up into a tight ball shape to protect itself from predators. At night, it climbs to an elevated point to feed on plankton by extending its intricately-branched feeding arms in a bowl-like shape. Then, it coils around its prey and the tiny hooks along the length of these arms will prevent its prey from escaping. Sounds like a healthy "Blob" feeding habits.

Here is another variety of Astrophyton, simply astounding in its classical beauty:

9. Furry Sea Cucumber

If it's not furry, and it's not a cucumber, then what on Earth is it?

The furry sea cucumber (astichopus multifidus) can be seen crawling or rolling over the sea floor of the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Florida. If you tear it to pieces trying to find out what on Earth is it, it would not really mind. They can regenerate their body tissues... potentially filling the ocean floor with furry cucumbers - what a thought.

The "Furry Cucumber" name, somehow, perfectly fits this deeply Salvador Dali-esque creature.

And finally, perhaps the prettiest of them all -

10. Flamingo Tongue Snail

Flamingos don't have a tongue like that, in case you were wondering.

The flamingo tongue snail (cyphoma gibbosumn) is a small, colorful sea snail which lives on various species of soft corals in the Caribbean.

This creature almost-literally wears its heart (soul and colors) on its sleeve... -

The pretty color you see in these images - is not in snail's shell! Rather, it's in a layer of live mantle tissue, connected to its foot - the snail pushes it out to cover the shell. The mantle tissue also works like a fish's gill.

When the snail is attacked, the mantle (and colors) are withdrawn. So you might say, this is the only marine animal that literally turns pale in fright.

And they're only beautiful (with all that color) while they're alive.

BONUS: A Piglet Squid (Helicocranchia) caught off the shores of Nigeria. Finally a face you can trust.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
08-25-2008, 11:37 PM
sob7an Allah.. awesome thread...
truly he creates that which we know not!

al Amaanah
08-25-2008, 11:45 PM
not weird creatures, masha Allah.

Abdul-Raouf
08-26-2008, 02:34 AM
Masha'allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
coddles76
08-26-2008, 02:45 AM
MashAllah,
Shows the almighty power in Allah SWT creation. He can create anything and anywhere.

Orn
08-26-2008, 02:59 AM
Sub'han Allah for he trully creates the trully ashtonishing and beautiful

yeah I do like the seadevils(they are beautiful in their own way and have cool names :) )

MustafaMc
08-26-2008, 03:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
2. Umbrella Mouth Gulper Eel

Here is a creature from the underwater gates of hell.

The umbrella mouth gulper eel (eurypharynx pelecanoides) can open its "umbrella mouth" to pelican-like proportion, accommodating prey much larger than its size.

Plus it can stretch and expand its stomach! The eel itself can be almost one meter in length, and if it starts expanding... This means it can swallow and devour something more than 1.5 meters long (keep your favorite cat away from it)
This fish reminds me of PacMan, but with a tail.:coolious:

Nájlá
08-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Subhanallah

Güven
08-26-2008, 10:46 AM

SubhanAllah !

then you still have these guys :

Megamouth Shark
This shark is extremely rare, few have ever been seen in the wild. They can grow up to 18 feet in length: that's one big shark!

873594773 24a8102ea7 1?v0 -

the Glass Squid
This One Looks Cute

Chimeras
is actually related to sharks and rays family.

12467764 6dd2567281 1?v0 -

Goblin Shark

Vampyroteuthis

Riyadh-ul-Jannah
08-26-2008, 11:05 AM
WOW! Those creatures are just...wow!
Masha'Allah. They are beautiful!
:w:

north_malaysian
08-27-2008, 06:08 AM

It also gives them a psychotic look, with eyes rolled up and stuck there.
whoa..... that's scary..:phew

Orn
08-27-2008, 08:02 AM
zombie fish is more like it,XD

cute123
08-27-2008, 09:08 AM
mashallah

BintAmjad
08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Assalamualaykum

WOW! Subhanallah it just goes to show you can always be surprised with Allah's creation. My favourite was the leafy sea dragon I think...

Wasalamualaykum

Na7lah
08-28-2008, 10:14 PM
i wudnt wana be swimming with some of those creatures lol

Pk_#2
09-11-2008, 07:55 PM
AsalamuAlaykum/Haallo,

If Guven has a similar thread please merge them, I did ask him but he never replied =( and me and Mr.Search do not get on..

SubhanAllaah, How coote?

Hamayun
09-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Subhan Allah! Thanks for sharing. This is Allah's artistry.

Nájlá
09-11-2008, 08:47 PM
subhanallah

jazakiallah khair 4 sharin

Re.TiReD
The most amazing under-water sea creature

wildkat
ooooooo... nice jellyfish!!
I love all these picture threads you guys post!

Re.TiReD
09-11-2008, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wildkat
ooooooo... nice jellyfish!!
I love all these picture threads you guys post!
feel free to make one :)

Hamayun
09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Mashallah!! I would like to add some deep sea creatures too if you don't mind.

873688713 7f38fb68e0 1?v0 -

873597871 f49c9ca397 1?v0 -

873595795 dffbabd2d3 1?v0 -

873596175 9b7c0c901c 1?v0 -

Re.TiReD
09-11-2008, 09:12 PM
That 1st one :phew

Güven
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Oh Just Noticed This Thread LoL :D

I do have a similar thread so please merge it and Awesome pictures Here :thumbs_up
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...creatures.htmlhttp://www.islamicboard.com/images/s.../thumbs_up.gif

Mikayeel
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM

that sea snail looks very pretty!

SubhanAllah, so many sea creatures haven't been discovered yet! And eachone looks weirder than the previous one.

Re.TiReD
09-11-2008, 09:18 PM
*threads merged*

Good mod-job bro raOnar :)

Güven
09-11-2008, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun

This One Looks Cute , It reminds me of "Pokemon" LOL! :D

Güven
09-11-2008, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar

that sea snail looks very pretty!

SubhanAllah, so many sea creatures haven't been discovered yet! And eachone looks weirder than the previous one.

SubhanAllah It realy Is , There is Soooo Much Out there that we still dont know about, It makes Life more Interesting :)

wildkat
09-11-2008, 09:27 PM
^^ lol yeah it could be pikachu's lil cuzin!

Hamayun
09-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Some more weird ones...

Lump fish

Tampa Sea Monster

Güven
09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun

OMG!! Is This Real ?? This One Could Eat A Whole Human With that Mouth , it looks too scary ,It looks like a mix between a fish and wolf :skeleton:

aand the last one is....Btw its Written "HAppy Halloween" there lol :D

Hamayun
09-11-2008, 10:06 PM
As far as I know they are real Brother. The Tampa sea monster is not as big as you think

Oh and I have no idea why it says "Happy Halloween" :D but that is real too.

Güven
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
^LOL! It looks Tiny Now , But i read That it is A Sculpture:X , Still Scary Tho

north_malaysian
09-12-2008, 12:56 AM
This One Looks Cute , It reminds me of "Pokemon" LOL! :D
Pikachu's cousin...:D

Hamayun
09-12-2008, 08:11 AM
^LOL! It looks Tiny Now , But i read That it is A Sculpture:X , Still Scary Tho
You are right brother. I just read it too. It was a hoax apparently. Well spotted :)

Hamayun
09-12-2008, 08:55 AM
A few more amazing ones. These creatures care Bio-luminiscent. They glow in the dark :shade:
Oh and these are real. I checked lol.

Fungi

This is a squid that glows in the dark:

Güven
09-12-2008, 11:03 AM
SUBHANALLAH , these are Awesome !!!
Thanks for sharing bro :D

Re.TiReD
09-12-2008, 11:44 AM

^^^ he is cute in a 'I look like an icky gloopy mess' kind of way :-[

Güven
09-12-2008, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Pikachu's cousin...:D
LOL! :giggling:

format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя

^^^ he is cute in a 'I look like an icky gloopy mess' kind of way :-[
LOL , Here is another pic of it :

:X

Re.TiReD
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM

He's been skinned alibe by the looks of it :cry:

Mikayeel
09-12-2008, 01:45 PM

^That creature really does look ugly! SubhanAllah! Is it eatable?

The strangest sea creature has got to go to!

Hamayun
09-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I agree. My daughter loves Spongebob and I hate to admit so do I. Spongebob is extremely funny.

This is a "lumpsucker" fish:

chacha_jalebi
09-12-2008, 02:24 PM
:muddlehea

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.