/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do Muslim’s and Islam benefit or lose from censorship?

Thinker
08-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I ask the question – do Muslim’s and Islam benefit or lose from close censorship control, shielding them from hard questions. I ask that question because I am starting to form the view that this forum is tightly controlled and censored and that leaves me with some discomforting questions.

I joined this forum to learn about Islam. I call myself an agnostic; brought up as a Christian I questioned what I was taught, I thought through some Christian teachings which I found difficult to live with and decided that the teachings could be wrong. Open to ideas I decided to look at what Islam had to offer. In that regard I joined this forum. And again, in that regard, I read, I ask questions and occasionally make comment. I understand that I must be sensitive and careful in what I say but I am starting to get a little frustrated by the controls within this forum which are making me feel constrained to ask only the most frivolous question or questions supporting the established view. I started with the first thread I started in the discovering Islam section titled ‘The Qur’an’. I can’t post anything in that thread until it has been vetted by a moderator (which doesn’t happen quickly). That makes it impossible to get any kind of conversation going. Now I have just been informed that a message I posted has been deleted. The message deleted was my response to a man asking how many times he should beat his wife and I basically said that was “a barabaric approach to attaining a successful loving relationship.” I am not trying to start that debate again; I am suggesting that stopping a debate and deleting messages is censorship that does no favours to non Muslims perception of Muslims or Islam.

Of course the question that follows is – will the censor delete this post and or delete me for asking the question?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
^ i agree with your comment about the barbaric beating , it doesnt help a relationship.

as for the censorship, it can be pretty relaxed aswell.

and also i'd like to say, we can indeed benefit from censorship just as a child benefits from his parents protecting him from the evil of the world.

exposure should occur when we're ready right?

but i do question close enough to everything, this forum hasnt restricted me much because i hav far far more sources then just this.

Whatsthepoint
08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
If you don't like the waiting, you can post any thread in the general section and then claim you didn't know of the more appropriate sections to post your thread in.
I sometimes do with news.
:-[:D

aamirsaab
08-26-2008, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
If you don't like the waiting, you can post any thread in the general section and then claim you didn't know of the more appropriate sections to post your thread in.
I sometimes do with news.
:-[:D
Naughty, naughty! :p

As for thinker
Erm, no we don't benefit from censorship. I've already told you that you can create a thread about specific topics. Should keep in mind that most of them have already been covered (LI has been around on the web for over 3 years...) so first use the search function to see if there is one in existence - if so, participate in that one.

If there are none (or you cannot find one) then make one. Us mods will get around to it and yes it does take some time (like giro!) - usually because we're sleeping or playing halo.

Be patient, be cool and er....Chillax or whatnot.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
YusufNoor
08-26-2008, 12:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
I ask the question – do Muslim’s and Islam benefit or lose from close censorship control, shielding them from hard questions. I ask that question because I am starting to form the view that this forum is tightly controlled and censored and that leaves me with some discomforting questions.

i think that this forum is under-moderated, almost to a point that it should be closed.

I joined this forum to learn about Islam. I call myself an agnostic; brought up as a Christian I questioned what I was taught, I thought through some Christian teachings which I found difficult to live with and decided that the teachings could be wrong. Open to ideas I decided to look at what Islam had to offer. In that regard I joined this forum. And again, in that regard, I read, I ask questions and occasionally make comment. I understand that I must be sensitive and careful in what I say but I am starting to get a little frustrated by the controls within this forum which are making me feel constrained to ask only the most frivolous question or questions supporting the established view. I started with the first thread I started in the discovering Islam section titled ‘The Qur’an’. I can’t post anything in that thread until it has been vetted by a moderator (which doesn’t happen quickly).

we ALL have to wait for posts to be approved in some sections, and btw, MY posts have been deleted as well.

That makes it impossible to get any kind of conversation going. Now I have just been informed that a message I posted has been deleted. The message deleted was my response to a man asking how many times he should beat his wife and I basically said that was “a barabaric approach to attaining a successful loving relationship.” I am not trying to start that debate again; I am suggesting that stopping a debate and deleting messages is censorship that does no favours to non Muslims perception of Muslims or Islam.

Of course the question that follows is – will the censor delete this post and or delete me for asking the question?
Peace be upon those who follow the guidance,

free speech in Islam is NOT the same as it is in the secular world! we have God's Word and God's Law's, they along with the Messengers and Prophets are NOT open for slander, discussion, maybe...

men are NOT ALLOWED to beat their wives according to the Qu'ran and the Sunnah!

that is an assumption based upon flawed practices and/or poor explanations of Shariah. and man MAY [IF he feels it will accomplish something] tap his wife with a miswak [a natural toothbrush] in order to convince her that her behavior [or the husband's perception of her behavior] is about to make him dissolve the marriage. it is symbolic and it meant to convey the seriousness of the husbands position.

it is hard to separate jahillya[ignorance] and assibya[improper customs] at times, even for Muslims!

does this help?

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-26-2008, 01:12 PM

IbnAbdulHakim
08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdu-l-Majeed
Honestly, that was a stupid statement based on ignorance, at least.
his saying constant beating of a wife is a barbaric approach to a loving relationship.

bro i dont see whats wrong with it? seriously help out here

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-26-2008, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
his saying constant beating of a wife is a barbaric approach to a loving relationship.

bro i dont see whats wrong with it? seriously help out here
Was my mistake, from the story I understood he was refering to the Qur'an and its "wife beating."

IbnAbdulHakim
08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
khair inshaAllaah :)

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-26-2008, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
khair inshaAllaah :)
In sha Allah, akhi. Thank you, habibee, may Allah reward you for correcting your bro. :-)

Keltoi
08-26-2008, 03:48 PM
From my experience with this forum, threads are censored because the topic is usually asking for a religious ruling on an issue. That opens the door for faulty explanation that may not be the actual Islamic ruling. The moderators are careful to make sure religious questions are answered in the correct way.

Then of course some threads are just made to start a flame war and are deleted when appropriate. I've never actually been censored on here...except once when I got a little too hot under the collar. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.