/* */

PDA

View Full Version : top 10 VERY rare Clouds !!!

Güven
08-27-2008, 06:31 PM
:sl:

louds fill the skies above us and are part of our every day lives, often going unnoticed. However, there are some clouds that are so rare that you will be very lucky to see them in your lifetime. This is a list of the top 10 most rarest cloud formations (in no particular order) that for those lucky enough to see them, were caught on camera.

1. Nacreous Clouds

These rare clouds, sometimes called mother-of-pearl clouds, are 15 - 25km (9 -16 miles) high in the stratosphere and well above tropospheric clouds.

They have iridescent colours but are higher and much rarer than ordinary iridescent clouds. They are seen mostly but not exclusively in polar regions and in winter at high latitudes, Scandinavia, Alaska, Northern Canada. Lower level iridescent clouds can be seen anywhere.

Nacreous clouds shine brightly in high altitude sunlight up to two hours after ground level sunset or before dawn. Their unbelievably bright iridescent colours and slow movement relative to any lower clouds make them an unmistakable and unforgettable sight.

2. Mammatus Clouds

Mammatus are pouch-like cloud structures and a rare example of clouds in sinking air.

Sometimes very ominous in appearance, mammatus clouds are harmless and do not mean that a tornado is about to form - a commonly held misconception. In fact, mammatus are usually seen after the worst of a thunderstorm has passed.

3. Altocumulus Castelanus
Also known as jellyfish clouds due to their jellyfish-like appearance.

These formed around 17,000 ft due to when the rush of moist air comes from the Gulf Stream and gets trapped between layers of dry air. The top of the cloud rises into a jellyfish shape and long tentacles known as “trailing virga” form from rain drops that have evaporated.

4. Noctilucent Clouds
Noctilucent Clouds or Polar Mesopheric Clouds: This is an extroadinarily rare cloud formation that occurs out on the verge of space between 82km to 102 km from the earth’s surface.

Noctilucent clouds appear to be luminous yet they reflect the sunlight from the other side of the earth at night, giving them a glowing appearance.

5. Mushroom Clouds
A mushroom cloud is a distinctive mushroom-shaped cloud of smoke, condensed water vapor, or debris resulting from a very large explosion. They are most commonly associated with nuclear explosions, but any sufficiently large blast will produce the same sort of effect.

Volcano eruptions and impact events can produce natural mushroom clouds.

Mushroom clouds form as a result of the sudden formation of a large mass of hot low-density gases near the ground creating a Rayleigh-Taylor instability. The mass of gas rises rapidly, resulting in turbulent vortices curling downward around its edges and drawing up a column of additional smoke and debris in the centre to form its “stem”. The mass of gas eventually reaches an altitude where it is no longer less dense than the surrounding air and disperses, the debris drawn upward from the ground scattering and drifting back down.

6. Cirrus Kelvin-Helmholtz

Appearing as a slender, horizontal spiral of cloud, cirrus Kelvin-Helmholtz is one of the most distinctive cloud formations. However, it tends to dissipate only a minute or two after forming and, as a result, is rarely observed.

Average height is around 16,500 ft.

7. Lenticular Clouds

Lenticular clouds, technically known as altocumulus standing lenticularis, are stationary lens-shaped clouds that form at high altitudes, normally aligned at right-angles to the wind direction.

Where stable moist air flows over a mountain or a range of mountains, a series of large-scale standing waves may form on the downwind side. Lenticular clouds sometimes form at the crests of these waves. Under certain conditions, long strings of lenticular clouds can form, creating a formation known as a wave cloud.

8. Roll Clouds
A roll cloud is a low, horizontal tube-shaped arcus cloud associated with a thunderstorm gust front, or sometimes a cold front. Roll clouds can also be a sign of possible microburst activity.

Cool air sinking air from a storm cloud’s downdraft spreads out across the surface with the leading edge called a gust front. This outflow undercuts warm air being drawn into the storm’s updraft. As the cool air lifts the warm moist air water condenses creating cloud, which often rolls with the different winds above and below (wind shear).

9. Shelf Clouds
A shelf cloud is a low, horizontal wedge-shaped arcus cloud, associated with a thunderstorm gust front (or occasionally with a cold front, even in the absence of thunderstorms).

Unlike a roll cloud, a shelf cloud is attached to the base of the parent cloud above it (usually a thunderstorm).

Rising cloud motion often can be seen in the leading (outer) part of the shelf cloud, while the underside often appears turbulent, boiling, and wind-torn.

10. Stratocumulus Clouds
According to the Sapporo Meteorological Observatory, these low-altitude stratocumulus clouds were rolled into long, distinctive ribbons after becoming trapped in air currents.

While it is not uncommon for wind to form such patterns in stratocumulus clouds, photos that clearly show the clouds rolled into strips are rare, says the observatory.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
bewildred
08-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Wow, great finds bro, as usual. Thanx for sharing.

Uthman
08-27-2008, 06:59 PM
SubhanAllah, some of those are beautiful! Others are scary. But all are spectacular! :)

north_malaysian
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
God is the greatest....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
08-28-2008, 02:01 AM

Nájlá
08-28-2008, 07:41 AM
wow subhanallah

jazakumallah khair bro Guven and sis Skye Ephémérine

Nájlá
08-28-2008, 07:47 AM

north_malaysian
08-28-2008, 08:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by najla93

Erm...flying saucer cloud? :)

Germanrose20
08-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow, Masha'Allah!! These pictures are so beautiful!! I bet to witness such a phenomenon would be awesome!!! Insha'Allah I will someday be able see some of Allah's wonders in nature.

Tania
08-28-2008, 11:08 AM
I never ever wish to see the mushroom cloud.

Güven
08-28-2008, 11:14 AM

Wow SubhanAllah , JazkAllahu Khair Sis Najla93 and Skye :D

------
08-28-2008, 11:15 AM
:salamext:

This one's beauty is breathtaking...

north_malaysian
08-28-2008, 01:55 PM
i love taking the pics of the sun, the sky and clouds...

of course I dont have the opportunity to catch rare clouds here...but the sky and gangs really impressed me...especially during sunrise...the sky is so colourful...and changes colour within minutes...

I should thank Allah alot for these...:statisfie

abs
08-28-2008, 03:04 PM
wow never thought there wud b diff kind of clouds jazakallah

Nájlá
08-28-2008, 03:40 PM
@ Bro Guven waIyyak.
and erm sorry but am taking over the thread here. :X

mainphp?g2 viewcoreDownloadItem&ampg2 itemId929665&ampg2 serialNumber3 -

Güven
08-28-2008, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najla93
@ Bro Guven waIyyak.
and erm sorry but am taking over the thread here. :X

Wooow Awesome Pics , Keep sharing :D

This one Looks Like An UFO :skeleton:

Tania
08-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I liked the 2 plates - UFo's clouds above of the mountain

Na7lah
08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
mashallah!!!! beutiful pictures!!

Musaafirah
08-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Masha'allah the pics are amazing!!

Riyadh-ul-Jannah
08-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Wow MashaAllah, Right. Those clouds
are rare, and unusual! I've never seen clouds
like THAT before!
Very Cool!
:w:

~*Fatima*~
09-01-2008, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Erm...flying saucer cloud? :)

~lol~ It Does Look like One~!
I love them all. Subhanallah~! There so Lovely and Astonishing~! Clouds always have been My Favorite element of Earth Since I was Child. I still Remember that I loved studying about clouds in Geography Class. Even Now Whenever I'm Wondering About in My Thought I'm Mostly Looking at Clouds. They Really Sooth me. I Wish all these Sort of Clouds formed up on top of my House T^T Still Jazakallah For Sharing~! ^w^
S

Fishman
09-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Top five boring clouds:
1. Stratus Clouds-
These are big, flat, low clouds that cover the whole sky. They are doubly boring as they also make drizzle, the most boring form of rain.

2. Contrails-
These are the clouds that come out of the back of planes. They never rain, which is a good thing, but sometimes they spread out to cover the sky like blankets. They are common in built-up areas near airports, and are easy to see unless those darn stratus clouds are already dizzling all over you!

3. Cumulus-
The traditional could that appears on everything from Windows XP wallpapers to the metOffice symbol for clouds! A pity, they would actually look quite nice if we didn't see them every clear day.

4. Nimbostratus-
Exactly the same as stratus, but thicker and more gloomy. To make matters worse, they are notorious rain clouds!

5. Altocumulus castellanus-
Another boring heaped cloud, only smaller and not as nice as cumulus.

abs
09-01-2008, 06:16 PM
wow yeh keep sharing

H4RUN
09-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Hey my man fishter you've just posted a boring cloud as you said, not the rarest...ontopic? :p infraction? I want one aswel, ahem...

But yeah, SubhanaAllah the clouds look terrific!, it's just a shame most of us will have never seen these in reality, either that or we were all asleep at the same time when these clouds were around:D

abs
09-01-2008, 06:46 PM
lol i just read ur signature

Fishman
09-01-2008, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abs
wow yeh keep sharing
Okay!
6. Dust bunnies-
Commonly found knocking about on smooth floors, these 'clouds' only fly when sucked up a vacuum cleaner!

7. Sheep-
These are flightless clouds, commonly found in hilly areas where it is easy for them to remain in contact with their (much larger) brethren.

8. Weather symbol-
This is a very low altitude cloud mainly found in TV studios. Although it looks like a cumulus cloud at first glance, if you look closer (or go and peel it off the board) you will find that one side is covered in some kind of adhesive!

abs
09-01-2008, 06:55 PM
haha lol here is another beautiful and handsome also pretty cloud

ur gonna love it

cmon cmon

me!!! haha

Güven
09-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Actualy It was Quite Funny :D But ,

DONT MESS UP MY THREAD !!!^^

abs
09-01-2008, 07:45 PM
okaaayyy but gotta bigga problem how do u put a pic from ur desktop 2 islamicboard andvanced post

Al-Hanbali
09-01-2008, 07:49 PM

Are all of these for real...

SubhanAllaah, the creation of Allaah (subhaanahau wa ta'aala) never ceases to amaze!!

extinction
09-01-2008, 07:52 PM
That rolling cloud is scary looking, like a wave or something.

abs
09-01-2008, 07:53 PM
its the gift of allah subhanwataala

abs
09-01-2008, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Wooow Awesome Pics , Keep sharing :D

This one Looks Like An UFO :skeleton:

i thinks this my best 1:skeleton::skeleton::skeleton::skeleton:

Nájlá
09-01-2008, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan

Are all of these for real...

SubhanAllaah, the creation of Allaah (subhaanahau wa ta'aala) never ceases to amaze!!
yeh subhanallah these are real.

Güven
09-01-2008, 10:11 PM

The Grim Reaper, lurking over Malaysia

Monkey skiing down a run, spotted over New Zealand

A dog barking, seen above Soldiers Point, Australia

A dragonfly, photographed above Upton, Lincolnshire

The number two, picked out in the sky over Stafford

A pig with six legs, 'walking' over the Trent at Gainsborough in Lincolnshire

Fusilli pasta, spiralling over Sossuvlei National Park, Namibia

A skateboarder doing tricks over Provence, France

A dragon's head, spotted over Clapham, Yorkshire

A red snapper, 'swimming' over Glencoe, Scotland

It came on News!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...le-clouds.html

Ansariyah
09-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Some look well scary. SubhanaAllah.

~*Fatima*~
09-02-2008, 10:49 AM
WOoo~! I love 'em~! Especially the Turtle, Fish and Number 2 one. There so Clear~! Subhanallah~!

faizan786
09-03-2008, 11:32 PM
SubhanAllah! Amazing! Very beautiful pictures--nice collection. I'll try to add some too..

faizan786
09-03-2008, 11:34 PM

faizan786
09-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Lenticular Clouds in Oregon:

faizan786
09-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Partial Rainbow clouds:

Cloudy beach:

faizan786
09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
In Sri Lanka:

جوري
09-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Sob7an Allah.. how beautiful..
I have found this vid.. just now.. and fajr is in so I didn't have a chance to see it all.. I don't know if it is a documentary or entertaining on the account I have my computer on mute..

Media Tags are no longer supported

Tania
09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
I like the animals shaped clouds, especially the barking dog :)

Danah
09-06-2008, 07:33 PM
wow...all of them are amazing
subhan allah
I would like to see one of these in reality
jazakum allah khair everyone post pics

Chuck
09-06-2008, 09:47 PM

srbbnd
09-07-2008, 04:06 PM

This was my favorite.

Thanks

Güven
09-07-2008, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by srbbnd

This was my favorite.

Thanks
My Pleasure ,
Its Also Called The Circumhorizontal Arc (Fire Rainbow)

:)

Faith.
09-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Wow Masha'allah Sum of these pics are absoultly amazing
Sum are quite scary tho
:D
It wud be wiked to see sumthing like that in real life
Jazakallah for sharing

Güven
09-30-2008, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - serene -
Edit

Güven
10-05-2008, 10:22 PM
found an amazing pic i dunno if this is real but it sure does look like an circumhorizontal arc :D:

barney
10-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Amazing stuff!
Thanks for sharing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.