/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The evidence – Verses from the Qur’an preaching peace and tolerance

Thinker
08-29-2008, 03:30 PM
I posted the below question in a thread on the undercover Mosques programme and it was suggested I creat a separate thread. As I got no response in that thread I am doing as advised. . . . . . .

With regards to hatred and violence, peace and tolerance, I can find on the net, many lists of verses from the Qur'an supporting hatred and violence, I accept that much of this has been posted by those who are no friend to Islam, I am unable to find similar studies producing lists of sura verses advocating peace and tolerance (to non Muslims); could anybody point me to them or list for me the sura and verse number of verses promoting peace and tolerance to non Muslims?

I’m presuming work has been done and stuff has been collated – why? I can recall the question of radical preachers like Izzadeen and Hamza being discussed on TV and the suggestion made that radical Imam’s preaching in Mosques should be replaced by Imam’s preaching peace and tolerance. And, I further presume that someone somewhere, with an in-depth understanding of Islamic literature has produced all the arguments with all the evidence to counter the teachings of preachers like Izzadeen and Hamza. Again, I presume from that I have read on this site that the impending TV programme (and I didn’t see the earlier one) will show an Imam preaching hatred and again I presume that he will support his preachings with evidence from Islamic literature. So I am presuming that somewhere there are all the counter arguments to the radicals with all the supporting evidence and I’d like a pointer to where I can find it - where is it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Why don't you purchase a copy of the quran and read it or find one free version on line?here is to making your life easier
1- http://www.islamicity.com/QuranSearch/

2- http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/

One should respect context of use to determine proper exegesis..

Uthman
08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Thinker,

A former member of this forum, Ansar Al-'Adl compiled this work:

Commonly Misquoted Verses and Narrations

Thinker
08-29-2008, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Hi Thinker,

Thank you, there's lots there, I'll study it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Thinker
08-29-2008, 06:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
Why don't you purchase a copy of the quran and read it ..

I have purchased a copy of the Qur'an and I have read it and read it and read it. It's not the easiest of reads

Uthman
08-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi again Thinker,

format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
I have purchased a copy of the Qur'an and I have read it and read it and read it. It's not the easiest of reads
If I may ask, is it an English translation that you have? If so, who is the translator?

جوري
08-29-2008, 07:12 PM
whatever verses or chapters pose you difficulty, you may post here and everyone will do their earnest to grant you proper exegesis!

Aurora
08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Ibn Kathir's tafsir/commentary of the Quran might be helpful.
http://www.tafsir.com/

Thinker
08-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi again Thinker,

If I may ask, is it an English translation that you have? If so, who is the translator?
Hi,

The translator is Yusuf Ali.

Thinker
08-31-2008, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aurora
Ibn Kathir's tafsir/commentary of the Quran might be helpful.
http://www.tafsir.com/
Hi.

Thanks. I often consider whether or not the translation I am reading is the most accurate and oftenb look up the translation of other scholars. So far I any differences I have found have been minor.

Thinker
08-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Thinker,

Excellent stuff; I’ve just finished reading through the various links to the question – “what does jihad man;” does it mean struggle or does it mean war

Clearly the author if the ‘Commonly Misquoted Verses’ document and other moderate Muslims stress that jihad means struggle in the most benign way e.g. struggle to be a better person. It is also clear that the word jihad is used extensively by radicals to mean an armed attack.

I found a link that suggests that 199 references to jihad in the most standard collection of hadith, Sahih al-Bukhari, all assume that jihad means warfare.

Another link suggested that jihad can mean both a struggle to learn and an armed struggle to fight an enemy and that the meaning of the word should be clear in the context in which it is used. It can also be misused to for political purposes e.g. when Arafat spoke of a "jihad for Jerusalem," he intended his Muslim audience to hear a call to arms while falling back on the peaceful definition to allay concerns in Israel and the West.

I suggest that, to most non Muslims jihad means holy war. I believe that because, like it or not, the extremists have monopolised the use of the word and the meaning of words change with time and usage. For example fifty years ago a gay person was someone who was entertaining, witty and happy!

Uthman
08-31-2008, 11:48 AM
The translator is Yusuf Ali.
Yusuf Ali, although popular, didn't have any formal Islamic education and so he makes many errors in his commentary. Furthermore, isn't his translation written in archaic English? Some translations are written in modern English which would probably be easier for you to read.

To get an idea of the better translations, I suggest this link:

http://uiforum.uaeforum.org/showpost...1&postcount=20

If you're not willing to get hold of a new one, don't worry. Just make sure that you double check with us on the forum. :)

------
08-31-2008, 11:53 AM
:salamext:

MH Shakir Translation is good, and easier to understand.

جوري
08-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Shakir basically took Yusfali's and modernized it.. I'd recommend the message of the Quran by Muhammad Asad (Leopold Weiss) from amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Message-Quran-...0197774&sr=8-1

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.