/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Where Does Zum-Zum water come from?

Faisal Pervaiz
08-31-2008, 09:28 PM
I know the story, but i was just wondering that how is water still flowing out, has anyone found out where it comes from?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
08-31-2008, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faisal Pervaiz
I know the story, but i was just wondering that how is water still flowing out, has anyone found out where it comes from?
:sl:
It comes from the ground:
The Zamzam Well is hand-excavated and is about 30.5 m deep, with an internal diameter ranging from 1.08 to 2.66 m. Hydrogeologically, the well lies within Wadi Ibrahim, which runs through the Holy City of Makkah, and taps groundwater from the wadi alluvium and, to a much lesser extent, the underlying fresh bedrock. The well is now housed in a basement room, protected by glass panels that allow a clear view of the well. Electric pumps are used to draw water from the well, replacing the ropes and buckets. No visitor is allowed to enter the Zamzam Well room and surroundings. Outside this room, there was a service area, where cold Zamzam water fountains and dispensing containers were provided for drinking purposes. Recently, the Al-Haram Tawaf area has been extended to cover the entrance to this area and it is no more accessible to pilgrims. Instead, cold Zamzam water fountains and dispensing containers are now placed at the periphery of Tawaf area.

The upper 13.5 m of the well is excavated in the sandy alluvium of the Wadi Ibrahim, and the lower 17.0 m in the underlying diorite bedrock. In between lies a 0.5 m thick highly permeable weathered rock. Most of the alluvial section of the well is lined with stone masonry except for the uppermost 1m, which has a reinforced concrete collar.. The weathered rock section is lined with stone and it is this section that provides the main water entry into the well.
Of course, in this day and age it doesn't come straight from the ground, there are too many pilgrims for that:
In order to manage demand water from Zamzam well is pumped, treated and stored in underground storage tanks a continual basis. Before distribution to consumers and transportation to Madinah Zamzam water is treated by a series of sand filters, micro filters and ultraviolet disinfection. Zamzam Studies and Research Center is engaged in design of upgrading the treatment system. Already, two phases of upgrading have been completed and the third phase is in active consideration. Moreover, the Center strictly follow these activities and ensures strict quality assurance measures.
Saudi Geological Survey http://www.sgs.org.sa/index.cfm?sec=311&page

Via ArRiyadh City Web Site.
:w:

Faisal Pervaiz
08-31-2008, 09:54 PM
But how is it produced, it cant be from the rain??

ayan333
08-31-2008, 10:05 PM

ALLAH (SWA) keeps this well running

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
08-31-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't know. I don't know whether anybody does.
However, many places in Arabia have huge reserves of groundwater, ancient water that is left over from wetter times. It can be tens of thousands of years old.

But according to this map, there is no such aquifier in Makkah.

------
09-16-2008, 10:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

ALLAH (SWA) keeps this well running

Snap.

Ghira
09-18-2008, 03:35 PM
good question...

AmarFaisal
09-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I have seen the well. It was very close to Ka'aba. I saw it in 1996 I think when I went for umrah. Then it was open for pilgrims to see. But there wasn't really much to see from the glass windows. Just like any other well.

Kas1m
09-18-2008, 05:05 PM
zam zam means never ending

truemuslim
09-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Its a miracle of allah swt. Subhanallah :)

truemuslim
09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
btw i thgouth it were zam zam coz zum zum sounds like some car something.

Kas1m
09-18-2008, 05:29 PM
it is zam zam and they have now build a hotel there called zam zam hotel too

truemuslim
09-18-2008, 05:30 PM
oh.
Jazakallah khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.