/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Virtues of Suhoor,

bewildred
09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Hello y'all,

I don't know what the virtues of Suhoor are. I mean in both religious and dietetic stand point. Plus, I read in a magazine that beaking one's fast with dates is a very mistake. I am a dates and milk craze and I know it's Sunnah. What do you think?

Thanks in advace.

S.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
09-01-2008, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
Hello y'all,

I don't know what the virtues of Suhoor are. I mean in both religious and dietetic stand point. Plus, I read in a magazine that beaking one's fast with dates is a very mistake. I am a dates and milk craze and I know it's Sunnah. What do you think?

Thanks in advace.

S.
Er I think that magazine has a poor editor; kajoors/dates contain quite a fair amount of energy in them (and considering you've been empty for 8 or so hours I think you'd need all the energy you can get!) Last year, I receieved a pamphlet regarding fasting and suhoor - from what I can recall they suggested not to eat fried food at suhoor (as it messes up your system big time - especially when your body has been fasting). The pamphlet was approved by the NHS, so I'd put more faith into that than your magazine.

Here's an internet link with regards to the nutrition of dates: kajoor pwnge!

Sanobar
09-01-2008, 03:28 PM
:sl:

weird magazine...:?

there are numerous virtues of suhoor/sehri... jus have a look @ the link...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/AllahoAkbarGroup/message/3419

:w:

bewildred
09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Thank you brothr Aamir and sister Sanobar. However, the link you gave me doesn't work. Would you tell me where to go to find out about the virtues of Suhoor?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
:sl:

Regarding Suhoor, you can see:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/39462/

2 – It is Sunnah for the fasting person to eat suhoor, because it was proven in al-Saheehayn that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Eat suhoor for in suhoor there is blessing.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1923; Muslim, 1059).

3 – It is Sunnah to delay suhoor because of the report narrated by al-Bukhaari from Anas from Zayd ibn Thaabit (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “We ate suhoor with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then he got up to pray.” I said: “How much time was there between the adhaan and suhoor?” He said: “The time it takes to recite fifty verses.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1921).

About nutritional recommendations:

Ramadan: A Nutrition Solution?

The best food to break your fast with is some dates – we all know this as it was the practice of the prophet Muhammed (SAWS).

But did you know that dates are highly concentrated in sugars, primarily fructose, which is the sugar that is used by the liver and then supplied directly to the brain! Amazing huh? The first food that the prophet (SAWS) consumed instantly replenished the energy in a vital organ (the liver) and also his brain.

The liver also plays a major role in metabolism, hence the consumption of dates provides and prepares this organ with the much needed energy to accomplish this task adequately.

islamirama
09-01-2008, 05:43 PM
The Wisdom of Sahoor

Allah (T) made fasting obligatory upon us as He (T) had made it obligatory on the people ot the Book before us. He (T) said , (which means):

{O you who believe Fasting is prescribed upon you as it was prescribed upon those before you so that perhaps you may attain Taqwaa.} [Al-Baqarah 2 : 183]

In the first period of Islam, the duration and regulations of fasting were in accordance with what was legislated by Allah upon the People of the Book. They were not allowed to eat, drink or engage in sexual intercourse after they slept. That is once one sleeps, he could not eat nor do any of the above until the night of the following day, this implied that they took no Sahoor (Pre-dawn meal).

However, when the above ruling was abrogated, the Messenger (S) commanded the Muslims to take the Sahoor (Pre-dawn meal) as a means of being different in our fasting from the fasting of the People of the Book. 'Amr Ibn al-Aas reported that the Messenger of Allah (S) said: "The distinguishing feature between our fast and the fast of the People of the Book is in the eating at the time just before dawn." [Muslim]

The Sahoor is Barakah (blessed)

Salmaan (R) said that the Messenger of Allah (S) said: Blessings are found in three things, the Group (Al-Jama'ah), Ath-thareed (a type of food) and As-Sahoor (the Pre-dawn meal)." [At-Tabaraanee, Abu Na'eem]

Abu Hurairah (R) said that the Messenger (S) of Allah (T) said: "Verily Allah placed Barakah (blessing) in the Sahoor (pre-dawn meal) and in perfect measurement (weighing)."[Ash-Shairazee]

'Abdullah Ibn Haarith said that one of the Sahabah (companion) said: 'I entered the house of the Messenger (S) whilst he was taking the Sahoor (pre-dawn meal), and he (S) said: "Indeed it (the Sahoor) is blessing that Allah has given to you so do not leave it out." [An-Nasaaee and Ahmad]

The reality that there are great blessings in the Sahoor (Pre-dawn meal) is very apparent because there is in it:
(a) the following of the Sunnah,
(b) it makes the fast easier upon the person who is fasting,
(c) it increases the desire in the person to want to continue to fast because of the ease upon the fasting person and
(d) there is also in it the principle of being different from the People of the Book because they are prohibited from taking the Sahoor (pre-dawn meal).
For this reason the Messenger of Allah (S) called it the blessed meal.

Allah (T) and the Angels send Salaah upon the people who take the Sahoor (pre-dawn meal)

The greatest blessing of the Sahoor (pre-dawn meal) may be that Allah (T) engulfs those who partake in it with His Forgiveness, showers His Mercy on them, while His angels ask of Him to forgive and pardon them.

Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree said that the Messenger (S) said: "Eating the Sahoor is blessed. Do not neglect it even if you take a gulp of water, because Allah and His angels invoke blessings upon those who partake in the pre-dawn meal." [Ahmad]

It is very important that the Muslim does not allow this great blessing from his Merciful Lord to escape him.

What is the best thing the Muslim can eat for Sahoor

The Messenger (S) said: "The best Sahoor for the believer is dates." [Abu Dawood, Al-Baihaqee and Ibn Hibbaan]

Note: If one does not find food to eat then a gulp of water would suffice as is substantiated in the hadeeth.

Delaying the Sahoor

It is recommended to delay the Sahoor (pre-dawn meal) till just before dawn. Zaid ibn Thaabit said: "We ate the Sahoor with the Messenger (S), then we got up to offer the Salaah (prayer - in this case the Fajr prayer). I asked "What was the time between the Adhaan (call to prayer) and the Sahoor?" He said: "(The time it would take) to recite fifty verses." [Bukhaaree and Muslim]

It must be known that it is allowed to eat, drink and have sexual relationship with one's spouse as long as one doubts and is uncertain that the dawn has started. Allah (T) and His Messenger (S) have made clear the criterion for establishing the Fajr, and this is what one is required to go by.

The Ruling for Sahoor

The Messenger of Allah (S) commanded that whoever wants to fast must take the Sahoor (pre-dawn meal). He (S) said: "Whoever wishes to fast, then let him eat something for Sahoor." [Ibn Abi Shaibah, Ahmad and others]

And he (S) also said: "Take the Sahoor because in the Sahoor is Barakah (blessings)."[Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Then he (S) also prohibited the Muslims from neglecting it. He (S) said: "What differentiates our fast from the fast of the People of the Book is the Sahoor meal." [Ibn Abi Shaibah, Ahmad]

The author concludes:
It is clear that the Messenger (S) emphatically commands us to eat the Sahoor from three different angles:
(a) He (S) ordered it.
(b) It is one of the highlight of the Muslim's fast and it distinguishes the fast of the Muslim from the fast of others.
(c) He prohibited us from neglecting it.
All three of the above inferences are very strong and they all seem to be pointing to one specific thing.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502040...org/ramtoc.htm

bewildred
09-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Thank you brothers Muhammad and Islamirama. Jazakouma Allahou Khayran

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.