/* */

PDA

View Full Version : does brushing your teeth break the fast?

whitemuslimah
09-01-2008, 10:50 PM
salaam walaykum,
could anyone answer if it is permissable to brush one's teeth in a normal way (toothbrush+toothpaste+water) after the fast is closed?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-02-2008, 04:12 AM
that is actually a good question, especially when making ablution you have to rinse your mouth.. another two to add to those, is aspiration of liquid stomach acid, I.E no food content acidic liquid and the second is usage of eye drops..

:w:

al Amaanah
09-02-2008, 04:38 AM
:wasalamex

insha Allah this will benefit.

Will brushing teeth break your fast?

Praise be to Allaah

If tooth paste does not get into the throat, then the fast is not broken. However, it would be better to use tooth paste at night and to Sewaak at day time.

Also see the book "70 Matters Related to Fasting" .

May Allah guide us to his obedience.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

al Amaanah
09-02-2008, 04:59 AM
ameen, wa iyyaakom.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Germanrose20
09-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Salaam,

thank you for that awnser. It confirmed what I suspected.

Ramadan Mubarak!!

SixTen
09-02-2008, 11:43 AM
No it shouldn't. I mean, technically, when you do wudhu, water could also go down your throat - as with toothpaste, so I thought - meh... Some would say brushing teeth isn't neccessary, but then it is a hygiene issue (hence I would have thought it would have some leniancy on the issue) and bad breath all day just ain't nice!

IbnAbdulHakim
09-02-2008, 11:43 AM
^ thats why we brush our teeth afta sehri fish lol

------
09-02-2008, 11:45 AM
:salamext:

^ Yeh. Brush ur teeth before u close your fast init

Re.TiReD
09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

Hadeeth Qudsi:

Fasting is Mine and it is I who give reward for it. [A man] gives up his sexual passion, his food and his drink for my sake. Fasting is like a shield, and he who fasts has two joys: a joy whin he breaks his fast and a joy when he meets his Lord. The change in the breath of the mouth of him who fasts is better in Allah's estimation than the smell of musk.
It was related by al-Bukhari (also by Muslim, Malik, at-Tirmidhi, an-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah).

The liver is empty, saliva is not produced because we arent eating...not only because you're going to sleep. Brushing or no brushing.

WassalamuAlaykum

SixTen
09-02-2008, 01:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

Hadeeth Qudsi:

Fasting is Mine and it is I who give reward for it. [A man] gives up his sexual passion, his food and his drink for my sake. Fasting is like a shield, and he who fasts has two joys: a joy whin he breaks his fast and a joy when he meets his Lord. The change in the breath of the mouth of him who fasts is better in Allah's estimation than the smell of musk.
It was related by al-Bukhari (also by Muslim, Malik, at-Tirmidhi, an-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah).

The liver is empty, saliva is not produced because we arent eating...not only because you're going to sleep. Brushing or no brushing.

WassalamuAlaykum
At the time, I believe people used natural means to brush teeth - such as miswaak/leafs, I think the smell its talking about, is not of that not having used your colgate, but, you acquire a smell from the mouth - from simply not eating a long time (a bit different, to that you get from long period of insufficient saliva).

akulion
09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Salam alaikum,

When in doubt concerning any maters remember : ALL actions are judged on intentions.

So if you brush your teeth with the intention of satisfying your thirst and maybe eating some toothpaste then obviously its wrong. However if your intention was for hygiene and even if then u accidentally swallowed water or something, you will not be held accountable for it since Allah is Ar-Rahman and knows what the hearts and minds conceal.

It is the same reason that if during your fast you happened to do something even "seemingly good" but your intention behind it was evil or bad, then you have (depending on the action) annulled your fast.

So insha'Allah always keep the intentions clean and the heart clean!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.