/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ramadan help

normansti
09-02-2008, 03:41 AM
I am very disapointed in myself. It fasted the first day and hamdila I made it through the day but I am very drained and tired and I don't think I can make it through this month. I feel so drained that im concerned for my health. Any suggestions? thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-02-2008, 04:06 AM
It is just the first day.. it is a bit of an adustment.. everyone had a headache today or something or another, after a while you get adjusted in fact.. Haven't you ever skipped lunch?
Basically sihoor is really the same time I personally have breakfast everyday.. and then you have dinner at a very reasonable hour...

It is mind over matter akhi.. you won't die of fasting, unless you have an actual medical condition which I assume you don't have since you are writing here..

Fasting has many amazing benefits to the body..
sometimes very sick people such as those with pancreatitis or other conditions are made NPO (nothing per oral) and that believe it or not helps them recover faster..

fasting can only do you good, physically and spiritually...

:w:

islamirama
09-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Did you eat breakfast? did you eat the right stuff?

Firstly, it is very important to have sahoor not only from islamic stand point but also from health stand point.

2ndly, there are certain foods that give you good energy but for short term and some that will last you much longer. Having eggs and bread and jelly will give you good energy for a few hours but then you'll be starving. Having milk, cereal, dates, etc will keep you going all day as you won't get hungry that easily inshallah.

Abdu-l-Majeed
09-02-2008, 05:47 AM
As-Salam 'alaykum.

If you're concerned for your health, then go and see a Muslim doctor, who can tell you is it really bad for you or not, in sha Allah.

But I personally don't think it's that bad. In Ramadan Warriors shaykh Muhammad Al Shareef mentions that because people don't fast the whole year, it happens that the hospitals are full on the first of Ramadan. I want to say: it probably is only the first day. It's normal that you don't feel the same as usual. Also, spend more time in reciting the Qur'an, reading something and so on. Ramadan is a month of 'ibadah, and don't make it only a month of being hungry. In sha Allah, you'll see that the 'ibadah doesn't let you think all the time on food, and you'll fast easier than you thought. Plus, ibadah makes you closer to your Lord. ;-)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
innocent
09-02-2008, 09:16 AM
I felt exactly the same!! Just so drained absolutely no energy at all. My husband put it down to the fact that I had only had a cup of tea and a boiled egg for sehri. And no sleep afterwards either.
So today for Sehri I had two toasts and a boiled egg. Not a lot of difference but we'll see how I feel today. I also had a teeny bit of sleep after sehri.
But generally I do feel very different this year from last year. Its gonna be very difficult to get through, but i'm gonna do it. Good luck hang in there.

normansti
09-02-2008, 12:31 PM
its 8:23 am right now and the last time I ate food was 10pm last night because i fell alseep on the couch last night and I'm and goin to try to fast today, inshallah i will do it.
Thanks all very much

Ali.
09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Try some of the suggestions above. But if you have and then you feel you really can't, then don't.

لاَ يُكَلِّفُ اللّهُ نَفْسًا إِلاَّ وُسْعَهَا لَهَا

No soul does God place a burden greater than it can bear it

{2:286}

MaiCarInMtl
09-02-2008, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Having eggs and bread and jelly will give you good energy for a few hours but then you'll be starving. Having milk, cereal, dates, etc will keep you going all day as you won't get hungry that easily inshallah.
I guess your system is the complete opposite of mine! Eggs fill me up (the protein keeps me fuller for longer) and cereal... well within 2 hours I'm raiding the pantry for more food.

Perhaps eggs, dates and some complex carbs.

To the original poster, the first 3 days are usually hardest for me. Yesterday wasn't too bad (it was a holiday here) but after 2 hour of grocery shopping, my energy really started to dip.

I also find that if I get up, eat, pray and go back to bed it's like my system forgets that I need food - I only feel the need for food out of habit. Unfortunately, my body doesn't forget that I need water.

Just take it one day at a time, don't despair. Allah will give you the strength you need, just keep asking him for his help.

normansti
09-03-2008, 12:39 AM
al hamdila i made it through the day. thanks for the suggestions I will try them

coddles76
09-03-2008, 01:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by normansti
I am very disapointed in myself. It fasted the first day and hamdila I made it through the day but I am very drained and tired and I don't think I can make it through this month. I feel so drained that im concerned for my health. Any suggestions? thank you
Here is some advice from Allah SWT....

Allah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour on you that you may be thankful. (Al-Ma'idah 5:6)

[Observing Saum (fasts)] for a fixed number of days, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man, etc.), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskin (poor person) (for every day). But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast, it is better for you if only you know. (Al-Baqarah 2:184)

Allah SWT is telling you its better for you to fast if only you knew!!! There is a massive reward waiting for you direct from Allah SWT for his obeying slaves who fast in his cause. He does not want to put u in difficulty and there are many benefits both spiritually and for the body in fasting.....

The physiological effect of fasting includes lowering of blood sugar, lowering of cholesterol and lowering of the systolic blood pressure. In fact, Ramadan fasting would be an ideal recommendation for the treatment of mild to moderate, stable, non-insulin diabetes, obesity, and essential hypertension. Fasting has been used by patients for weight management, to rest the digestive tract and for lowering lipids.

In 1994 the first International Congress on "Health and Ramadan", held in Casablanca, entered 50 extensive studies on the medical ethics of fasting. While improvement in many medical conditions was noted; however, in no way did fasting worsen any patients' health or their baseline medical condition.

Ramadan is a month of self-regulation and self training,To achieve God consciousness or God nearness

And Allah SWT knows best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.