/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sinful thoughts?

crayon
09-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I recall hearing that Allah does not punish us for sinful thoughts, just sinful actions. Does this depend on the type of sinful thought? Like, is consciously thinking something haram (that allah does not exist, lustful thoughts, etc.), the same as thinking those thoughts while trying not to?

So for example, person A and person B:
A thinks- God doesn't exist, or if he does he's evil and unjust, doesn't care about us, etc.
B thinks- God doesn't exist. Oh wait, no he does, astaghfirullah.

That sort of thing.

So Allah does not punish us for our thoughts, but does it depend on the type of thought?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdu-l-Majeed
09-03-2008, 07:33 PM
:salamext: my respected sister in Islam! :-)

http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/12315

crayon
09-03-2008, 07:43 PM
wa alaykum asalam wa rahmatu allah wa barakatuhu!

jazak allah khair for that link, bro.

But what about any kind of sinful thoughts, not just in relation to Allah, but in general? Like, a man who fantasizes about a woman, for example. He is willingly thinking these thoughts, and not trying to get rid of them. Will he be held accountable for these thoughts? Or someone who fantasized about drinking alcohol, or doing drugs?

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Well sinful thoughts always come to our heads but we should take them out of our heads, keep our minds occupied with something else so we dont get those thoughts. I remember hearing something along the lines about a thought turning to action but I cant remember it properly or where I heard it from. :-/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdu-l-Majeed
09-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Ameen, may Allah reward you too, my sister!

Repel the thought, for if you don’t, it becomes an idea. So repel the idea, for if you don’t it will become a desire. So fight against that (desire), for if you don’t, it will become a determination and a passion. And if you don’t repel that, it will become an action. And if you don’t replace it with its opposite, it will become a constant habit. So at that point, it will be difficult for you to change it.
http://www.islamicboard.com/words-wi...tml#post897259

If I'd do something in the way you described I'd be afraid that my heart started liking sins.

I'm browsing through Islam Q&A to see if there's something like that there...

Abdu-l-Majeed
09-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Warding off thoughts of zinaa
what should u do if u find urself thinking abt zina

Praise be to Allaah.
Thinking about zinaa may mean one of two things.
(1) It may be merely thoughts that cross the mind, without becoming a firm resolve. A person cannot be blamed for this, but it is better to rid oneself of these thoughts so that they do not lead to anything else.
(2) It may be an established thought accompanied by resolve and intention. In this case, the person must hasten to deal with it in a number of ways, including the following:
1- Seriously thinking of getting married, because this is the shar’i and natural protection for the Muslim man and woman.
2- Fasting if one cannot get married.
3- Muslim men and women should strive to strengthen their eemaan (faith) by reading Qur’aan, praying naafil prayers and doing other kinds of acts of worship.
4- Taking care to choose righteous friends.
5- Keeping away from everything that might provoke desire; one of the most obvious of these is looking at things which are haraam.
6- Remembering the punishment for zinaa in this world and in the Hereafter, and that its evil affects far outweigh the immediate pleasure that a person may experience.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Duwaysh
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/11498

ayan333
09-03-2008, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I recall hearing that Allah does not punish us for sinful thoughts, just sinful actions. Does this depend on the type of sinful thought? Like, is consciously thinking something haram (that allah does not exist, lustful thoughts, etc.), the same as thinking those thoughts while trying not to?

So for example, person A and person B:
A thinks- God doesn't exist, or if he does he's evil and unjust, doesn't care about us, etc.
B thinks- God doesn't exist. Oh wait, no he does, astaghfirullah.

That sort of thing.

So Allah does not punish us for our thoughts, but does it depend on the type of thought?

:sl:

SubhanALLAH..thank you for posting this

ive been having the same exact thought,i jus didnt have the strenght in Iman to post the exact words so ivebeen trying to cut around the bushes

i dnt no were to start,so i wont

after this girl told me she didnt believe in ALLAH or GOD and i responded "o cool" sarcasticly..i began to have these evil,disgusting,wickedness,wickedness sinfull thoughts n i try to get rid of them..i make Du'a and all also

i hate this thoughts,it brings my Iman down..i dnt get the pleasure in my hurt anymore,i dnt that great feeling in my heart anymore

i seak refuge in ALLAH (SWA) from all evil,the evil of my sins.

im happyto no im not the only who feels this way

i feel even worse because its Ramadan wen the Shaydaan is locked up

May ALLAH (SWA) stregthen our Imans and make us firm believers and righteous servents.Ameen ya RABBI

:w:

bewildred
09-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Well, these are the benefits of such an Islamic forum. One person asks and so many others benefit from the answers. Al Hamdulillah for I am a muslim and may Allah protect our sisters and brothers of Islam.

ayan333
09-03-2008, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
Well, these are the benefits of such an Islamic forum. One person asks and so many others benefit from the answers. Al Hamdulillah for I am a muslim and may Allah protect our sisters and brothers of Islam.
:sl:
that y im addicted

Ameen

:w:

crayon
09-03-2008, 11:53 PM
So from the links you provided Abdu-l-Majeed, i guess it means that as long as the thoughts are not carried out into actions, the person is not considered sinful? But of course it's better to stay away from those kinds of thoughts to begin with.

I don't really need to know for a specific reason, I'm just curious..

jannat
09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
salaam,
thanks for the post, and replies!!!!
Some thoughts just drive you mad, i ask Allah SWT to protect us from the whispers of shaytaan and wrong thoughts inshallah.

Abdu-l-Majeed
09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
So from the links you provided Abdu-l-Majeed, i guess it means that as long as the thoughts are not carried out into actions, the person is not considered sinful? But of course it's better to stay away from those kinds of thoughts to begin with.

I don't really need to know for a specific reason, I'm just curious..
If I understood you correctly, my sister, you mentioned people who willingly think about sins. And in the answer it says they must do something against that. Like I said: if I'd be in such a situation I'd be afraid of falling into sins. Because, if I willingly think about sins, then it's obvious that I like sins, and the chances to commit a sin are very big. I can't say on my own if it's haram or not, but as I said: these thoughts lead to something haram, and one should be extremely careful.

crayon
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
^yup, thanks for the answers. :)

Abdu-l-Majeed
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry if I couldn't provide you a direct answer, like I said, I was afraid to declare something haram or halal without knowledge. In sha Allah, we will search if something liket his was already answered or we will find a shaykh, in sha Allah. That's if your curiosity thirst is still there. :D

~*Fatima*~
09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Alhumdurillah~! This was also one of my many confusion. Jazakallah for Sharin'~!

SixTen
09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I thought, that if someone thinks about doing a sinful deed, but doesn't he will not be sinned - and simultaneously, someone who thinks of doing a good deed, but doesn't, gets rewarded.

I think, in that example, of momentary doubting, it will come down to intention. As, the thought itself is the deed, it would probably not come under the same category. You may have to go and ask yourself why you said such a thing etc and ask for forgiveness. It could be, showing insecurity in the belief for example.

crayon
09-04-2008, 09:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdu-l-Majeed
I'm sorry if I couldn't provide you a direct answer, like I said, I was afraid to declare something haram or halal without knowledge. In sha Allah, we will search if something liket his was already answered or we will find a shaykh, in sha Allah. That's if your curiosity thirst is still there. :D
No worries brother, I know exactly what you mean, may allah reward you for the answers you've given though.:)

SixTen- "I thought, that if someone thinks about doing a sinful deed, but doesn't he will not be sinned"

That's true, but I'm going into detail about the specific type of thought of the sin, as in like is the person relishing and enjoying the thought of the sin, or is he ashamed of it. So ultimately my question is, are all types of thoughts the same or do they differ?

------
09-05-2008, 10:24 AM
:salamext:

I dont think the original question has been answered yet, I would also like an answer.

SixTen
09-05-2008, 03:04 PM
No worries brother, I know exactly what you mean, may allah reward you for the answers you've given though.:)

SixTen- "I thought, that if someone thinks about doing a sinful deed, but doesn't he will not be sinned"

That's true, but I'm going into detail about the specific type of thought of the sin, as in like is the person relishing and enjoying the thought of the sin, or is he ashamed of it. So ultimately my question is, are all types of thoughts the same or do they differ?
I think I did cover that, in my 2nd sentence. That is, the thought of kufr - as this itself is a deed (to doubt), it does not get excused - as this is not a physical action, rather it is to do with faith.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.