/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it forbidden to pluck ur eyebrows?

Faisal Pervaiz
09-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Salaam brothers and sisters

U see i started to pluck my eyebrows about an yea ago, and now if i stop plucking they will go very big and i will have one eyebrow.

So can i continue plucking them or shall i stop?, if it haram is it a major sin or a minor sin?

Jazakallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FatimaAsSideqah
09-04-2008, 02:04 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Hair which we are forbidden to remove, which includes the eyebrows. The action of removing the hair of the eyebrows is called al-namas. It is also forbidden to remove the hair of the beard.

The evidence for that is the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Allaah has cursed the woman who does tattoos and the one who has them done, the woman who plucks eyebrows (al-naamisah) and the one who has it done (al-mutanammisah), and the one who files her teeth for the purpose of beauty, altering the creation of Allaah.”

Hair concerning which the texts are silent and do not say whether it is to be removed or left as it is, such as hair on the legs, hands, cheeks or forehead.

There is some difference of scholarly opinion concerning this.

Some said that it is not permissible to remove it, because removing it implies changing the creation of Allaah, as Allaah tells us that the Shaytaan said:

“ ‘and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah’”[al-Nisa’ 4:119 – interpretation of the meaning]

Some said that this is one of the things concerning which nothing was said, so the ruling is that it is allowed. It is permissible to leave it or to remove it, because whatever is not mentioned in the Qur’aan or Sunnah is permissible.

You can read to some others at this link:

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/9037

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/22393

------
09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
:salamext:

Some women go to beauticians who style their eyebrows by shaving or trimming their edges. What is the ruling on this?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaping the eyebrows by trimming, shaving or plucking their edges in order to appear beautiful, as is done by some women nowadays, is haraam because it involves changing the creation of Allaah and following the Shaytaan in his tempting of mankind to change the creation of Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily! Allaah forgives not (the sin of) setting up partners in worship with Him, but He forgives whom He pleases sins other than that, and whoever sets up partners in worship with Allaah, has indeed strayed far away.

They (all those who worship others than Allaah) invoke nothing but female deities besides Him, and they invoke nothing but Shaytaan, a persistent rebel!

Allaah cursed him. And he [Shaytaan] said: ‘I will take an appointed portion of Your slaves;

Verily, I will mislead them, and surely, I will arouse in them false desires; and certainly, I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah.’ And whoever takes Shaytaan as a wali (protector or helper) instead of Allaah, has surely suffered a manifest loss.”

[Al-Nisa’ 4:116-119]

In al-Saheeh, it was reported that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah has cursed the women who do tattoos and those who have this done, the women who pluck eyebrows and those who have this done, and the women who file their teeth and change the creation of Allaah.” Then he said: “Should I not curse those whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed, when it says in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning): ‘… And whatsoever the Messenger gives you, take it, and whatever he forbids you, abstain (from it)…’ [al-Hashr 59:7]”

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/179

Source

------
09-04-2008, 02:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faisal Pervaiz
Salaam brothers and sisters
:wasalamex

U see i started to pluck my eyebrows about an yea ago, and now if i stop plucking they will go very big and i will have one eyebrow.
Ok...
So can i continue plucking them or shall i stop?
Read the fatwas above, it's up to you what you want to do after reading them.

, if it haram is it a major sin or a minor sin?
I'm no scholar, but I think it's minor.

Jazakallah
Wa Iyaak

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faisal Pervaiz
09-04-2008, 02:16 PM
So it is ok then then for males to puck their eyebrows?

------
09-04-2008, 02:18 PM

:-\ The fatwa refers to women coz women like to beautify themselves. But men fall into the same category of commiting haraam as women :-\ So no it isn't.

Faisal Pervaiz
09-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Sorry i mean so t is ok for males to pluck between the eyebrows as it is not part of the eyebrows

------
09-04-2008, 02:22 PM

I wish people would bother reading the fatwas given and found by other members! Please respect them and read it!

Question: What is the ruling on plucking the hair between the eyebrows?
Answer: It is permissible to pluck it, because it is not part of the eyebrows.

(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/197)

Source

FatimaAsSideqah
09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Sister Serene did gave you some of good sources of advice. Jazaak'Allah Khair, sister Serene.

As you asked the questions refer to mens. So I can found some of it but I does my best.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “If removing hair from the eyebrows is done by plucking, this is namas (plucking the eyebrows) and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the naamisah (the woman who plucks eyebrows) and the mutanammisah (the woman who has her eyebrows plucked). This is a major sin, and women are singled out in this ruling because they are the ones who usually do this, for the purpose of beautification, but if a man were to do it he would also be cursed, just as a woman is cursed for doing this, Allaah forbid.

If hair is removed from the eyebrows by a method other than plucking, such as by cutting or shaving, some of the scholars regard this as being the same as plucking, because it is changing the creation of Allaah, so there is no difference between plucking, cutting or shaving. This is undoubtedly more on the safe side, so a person must avoid that, whether man or woman.”

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/22393

So you can see it refer to both of genders.

S_87
09-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Brother, plucking eyebrows was a feminine thing and maybe that is the reason the hadiths specifies women.
Men plucking their eyebrows is > _<

IbnAbdulHakim
09-04-2008, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
Men plucking their eyebrows is > _<
plain ol DISGUSTING +o(

*just felt like finishing that sentence*

------
09-04-2008, 03:09 PM

^ Snap!!! Too feminine! >.<

crayon
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -
I'm no scholar, but I think it's minor
As the punishment for it is la'in, ie cursing, it's a major sin.

------
09-04-2008, 03:53 PM

^ Jazaak Allaah Khayr for correcting me =)

Leyla73
09-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Oh ok, so if i understood well, it is allowed to pluck the hair that is between your eyebrows, because it is not part of the eyebrows. But it is not allowed to pluck the "real" eyebrows..well i mean shaping it.
Anyways, Thank you all very much! This was one of my questions that i never found the correct answer too !!

Yanal
10-19-2008, 04:33 PM
How about you have a valid reason that your eyebrows are off different ways.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.