PDA

View Full Version : My Brother and YouTube



Re.TiReD
09-04-2008, 09:44 PM
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

My 12-year old bro discovered YouTube today :skeleton: Now that sounds kinda sad but its because I've never let him use the internet before and today I gave in...:exhausted

Now the thing is, he wanted to listen to Outlandish, I tried explaining why he shouldnt, because it contains music etc and he turned around and said, 'If music is haram why does Islam Channel play this nasheed?'...:skeleton:

I tried explaining but he wouldnt listen, so basically...how best to explain that music is haram? I dont wanna scare him with the punishment etc...(even though he's 12 he's still a baby to me :-[) just give a good enough reason.

I mean, if he gets into music now....he's more likely to listen to it with his friends etc and get addicted...but if I try dissuading him I dont think he'll be as interested since at home we're always playing nasheeds, but I know that at school its diff...

Help? Suggestions? :-[

WassalamuAlaykum
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
:sl:

You could Try to Suggest Him To listen Nasheeds Without Music ,
Im sure There Are Nasheeds That are Waay Better Than Outlandish Like Zain Bikha for example


:w:
Reply

Nájlá
09-04-2008, 10:34 PM
sis just tell him about the punishments ur bro is not a kid anymore hes old enough to know.
and advice him to join this forum too. that way he will get to learn things himself.

:w:
Reply

Na7lah
09-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Help? Suggestions?
tell him that music is haram, that he shudnt lookat wat others r doing but to look at what Allah and His prophet said

also telling him bout the punishments is a good idea
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
qassy!
09-04-2008, 11:10 PM
depending on where you live his going to do it anyway, like school, friends house etc etc, yuo need to explain the punishments, really thats alll
Reply

Mikayeel
09-04-2008, 11:17 PM
:sl:

WHy not tell him about the rewards, (paradise). Maybe that can help, instead of the punishment bit. :)
Reply

Z-Blade
09-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

Help? Suggestions? :-[

WassalamuAlaykum
:wasalamex:,

Haha, it's silly not to tell him about the punishments just because he's still a "baby" (when he isn't really being 12 years old :O ). We told our nieces and nephews from a young age (way before 12 years :O ) that music is haram and about the reward of paradise and the punishment of Allah etc. and they don't listen to music. So yeah you should do that too inshaAllah, though it's best to instill all this into children at a young age before they grow up and start questioning things instead of being in the "we hear and obey" mode :O.

Hmmm, and the system of punishment and reward always works, in anything, even Islam is based upon that :D. Afterall if Allah could not Benefit us or Harm us in anyway, there would be no point in worshipping Him, and that's the argument used in the Quran against idols and false gods.

Wassalam.
Reply

Re.TiReD
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

JazakAllahu Khayran for the replies...lol

Brother- How can Islam channel be wrong? They play that nasheed all the time....:skeleton:

WassalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah
Reply

Ali.
09-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I disagree with some of the posts above in telling him the punishments.

I'd tell him "We've been ordered by our creator, and we must listen. Do you really want to disobey your Lord?"

And then you, JolieFleur, have to say this:

"Your my brother and I love you and I want to only benefit you, not make your life harsh." and then you have to hug him.

That's what sisters do, right?

:$
Reply

Z-Blade
09-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

JazakAllahu Khayran for the replies...lol

Brother- How can Islam channel be wrong? They play that nasheed all the time....:skeleton:

WassalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah
:wasalamex:,

Wa iyyaki :O.

Hmmm, well tell him that Islam Channel isnt Allah or the Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) :O (astaghfirullah wa naudhubillah), and then show him the ahadith etc. where music is forbidden, as said by the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) (apart from Daf :O).

And depending on how smart he is (:D), you can explain to him Islam Channel is just a name, it's run by normal people who don't always get it right or completely follow Islam as they should and blah.

Kids need to be taught from an early age about Islam and what's right or wrong, all the details, or they'll go astray and when they come back on the right path they'll be thinking "Why didn't the ones who knew this teach me before?" Its true :O.

Wassalam.
Reply

Re.TiReD
09-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ali.

And then you, JolieFleur, have to say this:

"Your my brother and I love you and I want to only benefit you, not make your life harsh." and then you have to hug him.

That's what sisters do, right?

:$
AssalamuAlaykum

Lol masha'Allah thats funny...and yeah thats what sisters do but he'll prob push me away *rollseyes*

But I think I know how to get through to him now, JazakAllahu khayran.

JolieFleur says: Why dont you listen to summin else, like I have loadsa nasheeds on my fone...u want em?

Qasim says: No man, they're for kids, I wanna listen to Outlandish, you know the one they show on the GPU advert?

JolieFleur: Yeah but darlin, they use music....you know we shouldnt listen to music, it's haram.

Qasim: But Outlandish are Islamic Innit....Why would they do summin Haram?

JolieFleur: And now I say summin about Outlandish that I guess I shouldnt say :raging: :skeleton:

Haha working.

WassalamuAlaykum
Reply

SixTen
09-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Z-Blade
:wasalamex:,

Wa iyyaki :O.

Hmmm, well tell him that Islam Channel isnt Allah or the Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) :O (astaghfirullah wa naudhubillah), and then show him the ahadith etc. where music is forbidden, as said by the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) (apart from Daf :O).

And depending on how smart he is (:D), you can explain to him Islam Channel is just a name, it's run by normal people who don't always get it right or completely follow Islam as they should and blah.

Kids need to be taught from an early age about Islam and what's right or wrong, all the details, or they'll go astray and when they come back on the right path they'll be thinking "Why didn't the ones who knew this teach me before?" Its true :O.

Wassalam.

Very good post.

Also, maybe show this to your brother: http://www.daruliftaa.com/question.a...nID=q-12513589
Reply

Pk_#2
09-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

My 12-year old bro discovered YouTube today :skeleton: Now that sounds kinda sad but its because I've never let him use the internet before and today I gave in...:exhausted

Now the thing is, he wanted to listen to Outlandish, I tried explaining why he shouldnt, because it contains music etc and he turned around and said, 'If music is haram why does Islam Channel play this nasheed?'...:skeleton:

I tried explaining but he wouldnt listen, so basically...how best to explain that music is haram? I dont wanna scare him with the punishment etc...(even though he's 12 he's still a baby to me :-[) just give a good enough reason.

I mean, if he gets into music now....he's more likely to listen to it with his friends etc and get addicted...but if I try dissuading him I dont think he'll be as interested since at home we're always playing nasheeds, but I know that at school its diff...

Help? Suggestions? :-[

WassalamuAlaykum
Wa'Alaykumsalaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Bootiful :-[,

Youtube is awesome dude, let him use it, dun be such a silleh billeh and erm Outlandish are awesome aswell...Not during Ramadhan though.. *rolls eyes*

Tell him about the punishments sis and see how he reacts, you may feel like he is a baby but still I'm sure that once you tell him about the reality, he will be seriously effected (in a good way) inshaAllaah, I mean most people I know, if there Imaan is low, they usually read up in things about the hell fire about the tribulations of the grave and Akhiraah, once this fear is instilled in him, I'm sure he'll understand to stay away from that which is haraam, Innay :thumbs_up

The last thing you want is, as you say, get him addicted to Music even with good lyrics behind it, it is wrong and you know it, and it's hard to give up Music, ask anyone who is an addict, giving up of whatever is hard, e.g. smoking =P



So basically, the same thing everyone else said =D

Can I have the cat? Let's trade the cat in your avatar for my little brother?

AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Sunshine =)
Reply

Ali.
09-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ali.
I disagree with some of the posts above in telling him the punishments.

I'd tell him "We've been ordered by our creator, and we must listen. Do you really want to disobey your Lord?"

And then you, JolieFleur, have to say this:

"Your my brother and I love you and I want to only benefit you, not make your life harsh." and then you have to hug him.

That's what sisters do, right?

:$
Let me clear something that may seem unclear: by not telling him punishments, I actually meant don't tell him so much that he's going to have nightmares or something Allah forbid, e.g. "you will rot in hell if you do for eternity and you will never rest! :raging:".. the guy's only 12 :D.
Reply

Re.TiReD
09-05-2008, 03:17 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

JazakAllahu Khayran.

Lol TJ yeah drop by and we'll do a swap :p

Yup and its true at being addicted to nasheeds with music even though the lyrics may be deep.

I fink I know whats gotta be done now :Evil: lol kiddin :$ ima be nice 1st insha'Allah

WassalamuAlaykum
Reply

Pk_#2
09-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
AssalamuAlaykum

JazakAllahu Khayran.

Lol TJ yeah drop by and we'll do a swap :p

Yup and its true at being addicted to nasheeds with music even though the lyrics may be deep.

I fink I know whats gotta be done now :Evil: lol kiddin :$ ima be nice 1st insha'Allah

WassalamuAlaykum
:rollseyes Jus' wak 'im on the head.. cum on em es en plz
Reply

Re.TiReD
09-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ali.
Let me clear something that may seem unclear: by not telling him punishments, I actually meant don't tell him so much that he's going to have nightmares or something Allah forbid.. the guy's only 12 :D.
Lol agreed....I'm just finding it difficult with this for some reason...if it was pure music then I'd probably tell him properly once and if he didnt then give him a backhander (And I dont care if anyody dissagrees) ... But I know its difficult enough keeping away from music in the first place and then adding on to that that Nasheeds with music are forbidden aswell.

I mean lets be honest...there are some pretty good nasheeds out there that contain music...and sometimes its like....ohh its only a nasheed..lemme just listen to it for a while...and for sum1 like you and I...we can quickly pull ourselves back and keep ourselves in check. Allahu A'lam...
Reply

aminahjaan
09-07-2008, 01:19 AM
First off, your lil bro is lucky he has you! I listened to music back then even, so no one really told me. I'm sure he'd understand if you told him the consequences, and the waste of time it is. Because if someone told me them when I was younger before Britney Spears and Nsync, I'm pretty sure I would have understood and it might have been easier to resist.
Reply

Malaikah
09-07-2008, 05:08 AM
I don't have Islam Channel, but do they ever show things that your brothers knows are haram? Maybe women who aren't covered or something?

If so, tell him, look, Islam Channel also shows this haram thing, so obviously just because they do it, doesn't mean it is halal.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
09-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

My 12-year old bro discovered YouTube today :skeleton: Now that sounds kinda sad but its because I've never let him use the internet before and today I gave in...:exhausted

Now the thing is, he wanted to listen to Outlandish, I tried explaining why he shouldnt, because it contains music etc and he turned around and said, 'If music is haram why does Islam Channel play this nasheed?'...:skeleton:

I tried explaining but he wouldnt listen, so basically...how best to explain that music is haram? I dont wanna scare him with the punishment etc...(even though he's 12 he's still a baby to me :-[) just give a good enough reason.

I mean, if he gets into music now....he's more likely to listen to it with his friends etc and get addicted...but if I try dissuading him I dont think he'll be as interested since at home we're always playing nasheeds, but I know that at school its diff...

Help? Suggestions? :-[

WassalamuAlaykum
im going through almost the same thingee with my niece...so yeha this threads good for me too. jazakillahu khair sis :D
Reply

Re.TiReD
09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Lol Wa Iyaaki and JazakAllahu Khayran for all the comments. Sis Malaikah, you gave me summin to think about.

I think maybe I forgot to mention that he KNOWS music is haram, since thats something we've taught em for a long time alhamdulillah. Its the nasheeds with music factor. Its amazing how they go for the haram ones huh, lol subhanAllah :skeleton:

At sis Ramlah, wat ima do it type him out an article or summin with hadeeth (daleel etc) telling him about the punishments etc and see how it goes from there insha'Allah

WassalamuAlaykum
Reply

srbbnd
09-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

My 12-year old bro discovered YouTube today :skeleton: Now that sounds kinda sad but its because I've never let him use the internet before and today I gave in...:exhausted

Now the thing is, he wanted to listen to Outlandish, I tried explaining why he shouldnt, because it contains music etc and he turned around and said, 'If music is haram why does Islam Channel play this nasheed?'...:skeleton:

I tried explaining but he wouldnt listen, so basically...how best to explain that music is haram? I dont wanna scare him with the punishment etc...(even though he's 12 he's still a baby to me :-[) just give a good enough reason.

I mean, if he gets into music now....he's more likely to listen to it with his friends etc and get addicted...but if I try dissuading him I dont think he'll be as interested since at home we're always playing nasheeds, but I know that at school its diff...

Help? Suggestions? :-[

WassalamuAlaykum
Let him listen to what he wants to listen to.
Reply

Re.TiReD
09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by srbbnd
Let him listen to what he wants to listen to.
Hello there, since Muslims have a purpose in life, since we believe in one Allah, His Messenger and in life after death....we strive to do what is correct according to the commands of Allah (I'm sure you knew that).

We know that music is haram, and I'd do anything to prevent my family facing the wrath of Allah (swt) and that means helping keep my lil bro on guidance :)
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
09-07-2008, 10:45 PM
tell him if he wants to be a lil haraami to carry on listenin and then if he actually carries on listening HIT HIM WIV UR HAND BAG!!!
Reply

Re.TiReD
09-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
tell him if he wants to be a lil haraami to carry on listenin and then if he actually carries on listening HIT HIM WIV UR HAND BAG!!!
AssalamuAlaykum

L O L ... No, I really would give him a slap then, no joke. JazakAllahu Khayran

WassalamuAlaykum
Reply

------
09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
tell him if he wants to be a lil haraami to carry on listenin and then if he actually carries on listening HIT HIM WIV UR HAND BAG!!!
:salamext:

That aint gonna work.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
:sl:
OR alternatively, u could do what i do and just whack him in d head...nicley of course:D
Reply

Re.TiReD
09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
AssalamuAlaykum

Lol JazakAllahu Khayran people...

I think I'd explain it nicely 1st...But before I get infracted for off-topics....

*Thread Closed*

WassalamuAlaykum
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 10:50 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-03-2007, 10:44 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 09:51 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!