/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why should we eat dates in an odd number?

bewildred
09-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I know that there's a wisdom in everything in the Sunnah. I was asked by a french friend of mine why we ate dates in an odd number. I was like: "uhhhhh.....good question......I'll ask my bros and sis of LI". Soooo?????

Thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
09-05-2008, 10:26 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

SubhanAllah, may Allah (swt) forgive my ignorance but I never heard that before. I look forward to an answer.

WassalamuAlaykum

Abu Muslim
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
I know that there's a wisdom in everything in the Sunnah. I was asked by a french friend of mine why we ate dates in an odd number. I was like: "uhhhhh.....good question......I'll ask my bros and sis of LI". Soooo?????

Thanks in advance
Because its the sunnah of the Messenger of Allah [salAllahu alyhi wa salam]..he would eat 7..7 is an odd number..we eat seven..we eat odd numbers..odd numbers are nice....hmmm....dates..*goes eat odd number of dates*

Serious answer: Allahu a3lam if there is a known wisdom behind it, someone else might know or we might find out in a few years time but when something is a sunnah, we dont really need a wisdom behind it. If you're french friend is a kaafir, then get them to belive in Allah first before wondering about the wisdom behind odd number of dates and if they are Muslim, then tell them the wisdom of eating odd dates is that the messenger of Allah [SAW used to so we should and therin lies the wisdom.

جوري
09-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I love odd numbers..
I can't possibly give a scholarly opinion on the account I am not a Muslim scholar.. but many of the al -mugatta `dt, in the Quran, i.e those suras that start with letters only, also have an odd number..
I call your attention for instance to suret Al-kahf (18) Kaf ha yaa 3yen sad , or suret al Baqara (2) alif lam mim

many theories are out there about al -mugatta `dt.. so I am going to leave with the Muhammad Asad theories

The Message of The Quran

Translated and Explained by Muhammad Asad

APPENDIX II

AL-MUQATTA’AT

ABOUT one-quarter of the Qur'anic surahs are preceded by mysterious letter-symbols called muqatta’at ("disjointed letters") or, occasionally, fawatih ("openings") because they appear at the beginning of the relevant surahs. Out of the twenty-eight letters of the Arabic alphabet, exactly one-half - that is, fourteen - occur in this position, either singly or in varying combinations of two, three, four or five letters. They are always pronounced singly, by their designations and not as mere sounds - thus: alif lam mim, or ha mim, etc.

The significance of these letter-symbols has perplexed the commentators from the earliest times. There is no evidence of the Prophet's having ever referred to them in any of his recorded utterances, nor of any of his Companions having ever asked him for an explanation. None the less, it is established beyond any possibility of doubt that all the Companions - obviously following the example of the Prophet - regarded the muqatta’at as integral parts of the surahs to which they are prefixed, and used to recite them accordingly: a fact which disposes effectively of the suggestion advanced by some Western orientalists that these letters may be no more than the initials of the scribes who wrote down the individual revelations at the Prophet's dictation, or of the Companions who recorded them at the time of the final codification of the Qur'an during the reign of the first three Caliphs.

Some of the Companions as well as some of their immediate successors and later Qur'an-commentators were convinced that these letters are abbreviations of certain words or even phrases relating to God and His attributes, and tried to "reconstruct" them with much ingenuity: but since the possible combinations are practically unlimited, all such interpretations are highly arbitrary and, therefore, devoid of any real usefulness. Others have tried to link the muqatta’ at to the numerological values of the letters of the Arabic alphabet, and have "derived" by this means all manner of esoteric indications and prophecies.

Yet another, perhaps more plausible interpretation, based on two sets of facts, has been advanced by some of the most outstanding Islamic scholars throughout the centuries: Firstly, all words of the Arabic language, without any exception, are composed of either one letter or a combination of two, three, four or five letters, and never more than five: and, as already mentioned, these are the forms in which the muqatta’at appear.

Secondly, all surahs prefixed by these letter-symbols open, directly or obliquely, with a reference to revelation, either in its generic sense or its specific manifestation, the Qur'an. At first glance it might appear that three surahs (29, 30 and 68) are exceptions to this rule; but this assumption is misleading. In the opening verse of surah 29 (Al-Ankabat), a reference to revelation is obviously implied in the saying, "We have attained to faith" (amanna), i.e., in God and His messages. In surah 30 (Ar-Rum), divine revelation is unmistakably stressed in the prediction of Byzantine victory in verses 2-4. In verse l of surah 68 (Al-Qalam) the phenomenon of revelation is clearly referred to in the evocative mention of "the pen" (see note 2 on the first verse of that surah). Thus, there are no "exceptions" in the surahs prefixed by one or more of the muqatta’at: each of them opens with a reference to divine revelation.

This, taken together with the fact that the muqatta’at mirror, as it were, all word-forms of the Arabic language, has led scholars and thinkers like Al-Mubarrad, Ibn Hazm, Zamakhshari, Razi, Baydawi, Ibn Taymiyyah, Ibn Kathir - to mention only a few of them - to the conclusion that the muqatta’at are meant to illustrate the inimitable, wondrous nature of Qur'anic revelation, which, though originating in a realm beyond the reach of human perception (al-ghayb), can be and is conveyed to man by means of the very sounds (represented by letters) of ordinary human speech.

However, even this very attractive interpretation is not entirely satisfactory inasmuch as there are many surahs which open with an explicit reference to divine revelation and are nevertheless not preceded by any letter-symbol. Secondly – and this is the most weighty objection – the above explanation too is based on no more than conjecture: andso, in the last resort, we must content ourselves with the finding that a solution of this problem still remains beyond our grasp. This was apparently the view of the four Right-Guided Caliphs summarized in these words of Abu Bakr: "In every divine writ (kitab) there is [an element of] mystery – and the mystery of the Qur'an is [indicated] in the openings of [some of] the surahs."

http://geocities.com/masad02/appendix2

and of course Allah knows best..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tresbien
09-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Prepared by the Research Committee of IslamToday.net under the supervision of Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî|

Anas b. Mâik narrates that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) used to break his fast with fresh dates before going to prayer. When fresh dates were unavailable, he would break his fast with dried dates. When dried dates were unavailable, he would take a few sips of water. [Sunan Abî Dâwûd (2356)]

This hadîth describes how the Prophet (peace be upon him) used to break his fast. The most important thing the hadîth shows us is that he used to hasten to break his fast as soon as the time of the Maghrib prayer – the time of sunset – arrived. Anas clearly tells us that he ate the dates “before going to prayer.”

Indeed, the Prophet (peace be upon him) encouraged his followers to break their fasts as soon as possible.

He said: “The people will continue to be upon what is good as long as they hasten to break the fast.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1821) and Sahîh Muslim (1838)]

He used to offer the following supplication upon breaking his fast: “Thirst is gone, the blood is refreshed, and the reward is granted, by the grace of Allah. [Sunan Abî Dâwûd (2357) and graded by al-Albânî as a good hadîth in Sahîh Sunan Abî Dâwûd]

It was the habit of the Prophet (peace be upon him) to break his fast with dates, as we see in the hadîth narrated by Anas above. It is not mentioned in the Sunnah that for breaking the fast, the dates should be an odd number.

However, it is related from Anas that Allah’s Messenger (peace) never went out in the morning on the day of `Îd al-Fitr without eating some dates, and that they would be an odd number. [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (953)]

There is another hadîth attributed to Anas that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever finds dates should break his fast with them. Whoever does not, should break his fast with water, for indeed water is a purification.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (694)]

This hadîth is weak.

Nevertheless, it is certainly the Sunnah to emulate the Prophet’s practice by breaking our fasts with dates, when they are available. However, a Muslim may break the fast with other foods, if that is what he or she wishes to do.

There is no strict requirement regarding the type or quantity of food that may be eaten before observing the Maghrib prayer, though clearly the Prophet’s example is to eat only a little bit at that time.

It has become the custom for some people to eat dates along with other finger foods, like samosas and sweets, before prayer. These foods are often provided along with dates at various mosque, including the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah. There is nothing wrong with this custom.

All the same, the Muslims should be conscious of the time. They should not become so preoccupied with eating that the prayer is postponed or in any way neglected. It is a mistake for men to neglect congregational prayer at the mosque because of what they are eating.

The iftâr that Muslims are supposed to observe is to take some food before offering the Maghrib prayer. After the Maghrib prayer, the Muslims are free to eat when and how they like up to the time of dawn.

Allah says: “Eat and drink until the white thread becomes distinct to you from the black thread of the dawn. Then strictly observe the fast until nightfall, but do not associate with your wives while you are in retreat in the mosques. These are the limits imposed by Allah, so approach them not. Thus Allah expounds His revelation to mankind that they may ward off (evil).” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 187]

There are no preferred times for meals, except to have a meal right before the time of dawn. Otherwise, the Muslim can take his or her meals at any time of the night. Some people prefer to eat a large dinner after the Maghrib prayer. Others prefer to postpone eating until after observing Tarâwîh. Still others prefer to make their pre-dawn meal the main meal of the night. People have various preferences. Also, families and cultures have a wide variety of customs in this regard.

In any case, Muslims should observe the same moderation in eating that they are supposed to show throughout the rest of the year, if not more so. They should not overindulge in food during the nights of Ramadân.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The child of Adam fills no vessel worse than his stomach. Sufficient for the child of Adam are a few morsels to keep his back straight. If he must eat more, then a third should be for his food, a third for his drink, and a third left for air.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (2380) and Musnad Ahmad (17186) and authenticated by al-Albânî in Sahîh al-Jâmi`]

http://www.islamtoday.net/english/sh...ub_cat_id=1508

The Prophet Muhammad
PBUH mentioned the reward of feeding the fasting when he reported that whoever feeds a fasting person to break his or her fast will get the same reward as the fasting person without any reduction.

ayan333
09-06-2008, 12:46 AM
:sl:

i read this before iftar and i forced myself to eat 7...i use to not like dates but after i gained knowledge and love of our beloved Prophet i began to love them

:w:

جوري
09-06-2008, 05:14 AM
you can also have one or three or five
I love dates.. it is one of my favorite snack food, and I try to buy it even outside of Ramadan.. you can even put it between two plain butter cookies.. it is scrumptious....Al7mdlilah

tresbien
09-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Prophet Muhammad, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said: “Break your fast with dates, or else with water, for it is pure.”[Abu Daawood and At-Tirmithi]

The Prophet Muhammad, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, used to eat an odd number of dates. Thus, those who are not particularly fond of the taste of dates can experience its beneficial effects by having only one date, and those who prefer dates can have three, five, etc.

[The Messenger of Allaah ( صلي الله عليه وسلم) said, “Whoever feeds a fasting person will have a reward like that of the fasting person, without any reduction in his reward.” [At-Tirmidhi, authenticated by Al-Albani.]

tresbien
09-06-2008, 11:43 AM
[
[The Messenger of Allaah ( صلي الله عليه وسلم) said, “Whoever feeds a fasting person will have a reward like that of the fasting person, without any reduction in his reward.” [At-Tirmidhi, authenticated by Al-Albani.][/QUOTE]

bewildred
09-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Okay, no one really knows.....

Al-Zaara
09-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Interesting... I had never read about this before or heard of the like. I just eat as many dates as I possibly can, I love 'em.

chacha_jalebi
09-06-2008, 03:33 PM
its a sunnah .....

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Allah’s Apostle never proceeded (for the prayer) on the Day of ‘Id-ul-Fitr unless he had eaten some dates. Anas also narrated: The Prophet used to eat odd number of dates.
[Volume 2, Book 15, Number 73 : Sahih Bukhari]

:D

Uthman
09-06-2008, 03:34 PM
It's bad enough that dating is haraam. But now you guys are actually eating the dates?

Al-Zaara
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Shouldn't you see it as a good thing, brother? We eat them, making it impossible to get another date, if we do, we eat them, making sure no more haram can be made with them.

note: I am joking.

chacha_jalebi
09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
It's bad enough that dating is haraam. But now you guys are actually eating the dates?
genius! :D

its true, people even grow dates on trees!

also Allah hu alim the wisdom, but it could be that when you take a odd number of thins, its more likely that your sharin them with others, like if their are 4 people and you took 2 dates, then 1 person aint gona get a date, but if you take odd number like 1 then everyone can share, and its like that for any amount of people

------
09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Killed it :skeleton: :exhausted

Uthman
09-06-2008, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

Killed it :skeleton: :exhausted
Ok, I had to look that phrase up. Sorry guys, I should be renowned for my bad sense of humour. :-[

Al-Zaara
09-06-2008, 03:49 PM
If I found that funny, you can't have bad sense of humour. Basta.

On topic though, to the original poster, did you get your question answered?

'Abd al-Baari
09-06-2008, 04:08 PM
:sl:

There is a lot of things that the Prophet Salallahu 'Alayhi Wassalam, recommended doing in odd numbers, for examples giving charity should be done in odd numbers, and the night prayers should be perfomed at an odd number, which is why 'Witr is 1, 3 or 7 Raka'ats.

:w:

BabarAli
09-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Although the prophet instructed guidelines in our lives he did also bring about a tradition. The prophetic tradition I believe simply provides an alternative way of life. Traditions do not follow logic. It is in western tradition to wear a little piece of cloth above the shirt, it is called a tie. There is no logic for having it there but it is a part of western civilization. Thus the prophet too created his own tradition. And the prophet was the best of men. Allah said, obey Allah and obey the messenger. Following the prophetic tradition is not compulsory but optional. What is not optional however are the limits prescribed by God and his messenger. These are classified as 'Farz' implying that negating this would be a breach of faith and a person will be held accountable for it. I hope that helped.

syilla
08-26-2009, 07:01 AM
*bump :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.