/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand, plz explain

------
09-07-2008, 11:35 AM
:salamext:

I have a question about the last verse of Surah Baqarah [2], and it would be appreciated if someone could clear up my confusion.

It says in the last verse [286] that;

"On no soul does Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear."

But it says in the same verse;

"Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which You did lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear"

From what I understand, Allaah laid a burden greater than they had the strength to bear, on the people that came before us? When Allaah says He does not place a burden greater then a soul can bear, why then is there a dua asking Allaah not to place a burden on a person, greater than it can bear?

Can someone please clear up my confusion, Jazaak Allaah Khayr in advance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Zaara
09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I am not a professional to help you, but I understood it differently than you, so that's why I am replying.

How I understood is the second verse you provided saying to God not to give that burden which was given to those before, because this person thinks/believes/says they cannot bear the burden of the likes which they had in the past.

InshaAllah, someone else will give an correct answer. This is just a guess from my side, that's how I have understood it so far.

Maybe it's clearer if you read this translation:

Ahmed Raza Khan: Mohammed Aqib Qadri:
Allah does not burden anyone, except with something within its capacity; beneficial for it is the virtue it earned, and harmful for it is the evil it earned; "Our Lord! Do not seize us if we forget or are mistaken; our Lord! And do not place on us a heavy burden (responsibility) as You did on those before us; our Lord! And do not impose on us a burden, for which we do not have the strength; and pardon us - and forgive us - and have mercy on us - You are our Master, therefore help us against the disbelievers."

------
09-07-2008, 12:00 PM
And do not impose on us a burden, for which we do not have the strength;
There is still this dua here. Why do we ask Allaah for this, when He Himself says He does not burden a soul more than it can bear?

Al-Zaara
09-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Maybe the other verse is to be like an example. You know, people pray not to give a burden stronger than they can bear and Allah says He does not. I mean sometimes we only recite what has been said by people, it's not a specific dua for us, we just recite what happened and has been said.

OK, before I confuse myself and other any more I'll wait patiently for an better answer inshaAllah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
09-07-2008, 12:21 PM
:sl:

This is what it says in Tafeer ibn Katheer:

[رَبَّنَا وَلاَ تَحْمِلْ عَلَيْنَآ إِصْرًا كَمَا حَمَلْتَهُ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِنَا]

(Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us (Jews and Christians),) means, "Even if we were able to perform them, do not require us to perform the difficult deeds as You required the previous nations before us, such as the burdens that were placed on them. You sent Your Prophet Muhammad , the Prophet of mercy, to abrogate these burdens through the Law that You revealed to him, the Hanifi (Islamic Monotheism), easy religion.'' Muslim recorded that Abu Hurayrah said that the Messenger of Allah said that Allah said, "I shall (accept your supplication).'' Ibn `Abbas narrated that the Messenger of Allah said that Allah said, "I did (accept your supplication).'' There is the Hadith recorded through various chains of narration that the Messenger of Allah said,

«بُعِثْتُ بِالْحَنِيفِيَّةِ السَّمْحَة»

(I was sent with the easy Hanifiyyah way.)

[رَبَّنَا وَلاَ تُحَمِّلْنَا مَا لاَ طَاقَةَ لَنَا بِهِ]

(Our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear) of obligations, hardships and afflictions, do not make us bear what we cannot bear of this.

(Our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear.)

We mentioned that Allah said, "I shall (accept your supplication)'' in one narration, and, "I did (accept your supplication),'' in another narration.
http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=2&tid=7605

Ummu Sufyaan
09-07-2008, 12:32 PM
actually there is a story behind it concerning the companions, radiallahu anhum...give me time and ill post it, inshallah.:)

------
09-07-2008, 12:48 PM
:salamext:

I still don't get it @ Muhammad. Why are we asking Allaah not to place a burden on us greater than we can bear, when He says He doesn't do it in the first place?

Sorry...

Ok InshaaAllaah @ Ramlah

IbnAbdulHakim
09-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Allah promised the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam jannah yet he always prayed for it

Allah promised some sahabi's jannah yet they always prayed for it.

some points to ponder :)

Z-Blade
09-08-2008, 12:51 AM
:salamext:,

Hmmm, from Tafsir Ibn Kathir I think this explains it pretty well:

Allah's statement,

[لاَ يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلاَّ وُسْعَهَا]

(Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope) means, Allah does not ask a soul what is beyond its ability. This only demonstrates Allah's kindness, compassion and generosity towards His creation. This Ayah is the Ayah that abrogated the Ayah that worried the Companions, that is, Allah's statement,

[وَإِن تُبْدُواْ مَا فِي أَنفُسِكُمْ أَوْ تُخْفُوهُ يُحَاسِبْكُم بِهِ اللَّهُ]

(And whether you disclose what is in yourselves or conceal it, Allah will call you to account for it.)

This indicates that although Allah will question His servants and judge them, He will only punish for what one is able to protect himself from. As for what one cannot protect himself from, such as what one says to himself - or passing thoughts - they will not be punished for that. We should state here that to dislike the evil thoughts that cross one's mind is a part of faith. Allah said next,

[لَهَا مَا كَسَبَتْ]

(He gets reward for that which he has earned) of good,

[وَعَلَيْهَا مَا اكْتَسَبَتْ]
(And he is punished for that which he has earned) of evil, that is, concerning the acts that one is responsible for.

^So it can be seen that means we are only held to account for sins that we had the power to overcome. Whereas the dua we make means:

(Our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear) of obligations, hardships and afflictions, do not make us bear what we cannot bear of this.

^Talking about difficulties beyond what we can bear. In the end, it seems like the translation is quite bad - thus causing confusion. When we compare the Arabic for both of them (the first line saying Allah burdens no soul and the other line saying for Allah not to burden us too much):

[لاَ يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلاَّ وُسْعَهَا]

It can be seen that its not similar at all.

http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=2&tid=7605

And Allah knows best.

Hope that helps :O.

Wassalam.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-08-2008, 04:06 AM
actually, the verse in an abrogation to the previous ayah...which makes alotta sense :D

from tafseer ibn kahtheer

[يَعْلَمُ السِّرَّ وَأَخْفَى]

(He knows the secret and that which is yet more hidden.)

There are many other Ayat on this subject. In this Ayah [2:284], Allah states that He has knowledge of what the hearts conceal, and consequently, He will hold the creation accountable for whatever is in their hearts. This is why when this Ayah was revealed, it was hard on the Companions, since out of their strong faith and conviction, they were afraid that such reckoning would diminish their good deeds.

Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Hurayrah said, "When

[لِّلَّهِ مَا فِي السَّمَـوتِ وَمَا فِى الاٌّرْضِ وَإِن تُبْدُواْ مَا فِي أَنفُسِكُمْ أَوْ تُخْفُوهُ يُحَاسِبْكُم بِهِ اللَّهُ فَيَغْفِرُ لِمَن يَشَآءُ وَيُعَذِّبُ مَن يَشَآءُ وَاللَّهُ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ ]

(To Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is on the earth, and whether you disclose what is in yourselves or conceal it, Allah will call you to account for it. Then He forgives whom He wills and punishes whom He wills. And Allah is able to do all things)

was revealed to the Messenger of Allah , it was very hard for the Companions of the Messenger . The Companions came to the Messenger and fell to their knees saying, `O Messenger of Allah! We were asked to perform what we can bear of deeds: the prayer, the fast, Jihad and charity. However, this Ayah was revealed to you, and we cannot bear it.' The Messenger of Allah said,

«أَتُرِيدُونَ أَنْ تَقُولُوا كَما قَالَ أَهْلُ الْكِتَابَيْنِ مِنْ قَبْلِكُمْ: سَمِعْنَا وَعَصَيْنَا؟ بَلْ قُولُوا: سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا غُفْرَانَكَ رَبَّنَا وَإِلَيْكَ الْمَصِير»

(Do you want to repeat what the People of the Two Scriptures before you said, that is, `We hear and we disobey' Rather, say, `We hear and we obey, and we seek Your forgiveness, O our Lord, and the Return is to You.)

When the people accepted this statement and their tongues recited it, Allah sent down afterwards,

[ءَامَنَ الرَّسُولُ بِمَآ أُنزِلَ إِلَيْهِ مِن رَّبِّهِ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ كُلٌّ ءَامَنَ بِاللَّهِ وَمَلَـئِكَتِهِ وَكُتُبِهِ وَرُسُلِهِ لاَ نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِّن رُّسُلِهِ وَقَالُواْ سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا غُفْرَانَكَ رَبَّنَا وَإِلَيْكَ الْمَصِيرُ ]

(The Messenger believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do)the believers. Each one believes in Allah, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. (They say,) "We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers ـ and they say, "We hear, and we obey. (We seek)
Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return (of all).'')

When they did that, Allah abrogated the Ayah [2:284] and sent down the Ayah,

[لاَ يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلاَّ وُسْعَهَا لَهَا مَا كَسَبَتْ وَعَلَيْهَا مَا اكْتَسَبَتْ رَبَّنَا لاَ تُؤَاخِذْنَآ إِن نَّسِينَآ أَوْ أَخْطَأْنَا]

(Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned. "Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error.'') until the end.''

Muslim recorded it with the wording; "When they did that, Allah abrogated it [2:284] and sent down,

[لاَ يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلاَّ وُسْعَهَا لَهَا مَا كَسَبَتْ وَعَلَيْهَا مَا اكْتَسَبَتْ رَبَّنَا لاَ تُؤَاخِذْنَآ إِن نَّسِينَآ أَوْ أَخْطَأْنَا]

(Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned. "Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error''.)

Allah said, `I shall (accept your supplication),'

[رَبَّنَا وَلاَ تَحْمِلْ عَلَيْنَآ إِصْرًا كَمَا حَمَلْتَهُ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِنَا]

("Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us (Jews and Christians)'')

("Our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. '')

[وَاعْفُ عَنَّا وَاغْفِرْ لَنَا وَارْحَمْنَآ أَنتَ مَوْلَـنَا فَانْصُرْنَا عَلَى الْقَوْمِ الْكَـفِرِينَ]

("Pardon us and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Mawla (Supporter and Protector)
and give us victory over the disbelieving people.'')

Allah said, `I shall.'''

Imam Ahmad recorded that Mujahid said, "I saw Ibn `Abbas and said to him, `O Abu Abbas! I was with Ibn `Umar, and he read this Ayah and cried.' He asked, `Which Ayah' I said,

[وَإِن تُبْدُواْ مَا فِي أَنفُسِكُمْ أَوْ تُخْفُوهُ]

`(And whether you disclose what is in yourselves or conceal it.)'

Ibn `Abbas said, `When this Ayah was revealed, it was very hard on the Companions of the Messenger of Allah and worried them tremendously. They said: O Messenger of Allah! We know that we would be punished according to our statements and our actions, but as for what occurs in our hearts, we do not control what is in them.' The Messenger of Allah said,

«قُولُوا: سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا»

(Say, `We hear and we obey.') They said, `We hear and we obey.' Thereafter, this Ayah abrogated the previous Ayah,

[ءَامَنَ الرَّسُولُ بِمَآ أُنزِلَ إِلَيْهِ مِن رَّبِّهِ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ كُلٌّ ءَامَنَ بِاللَّهِ]

(The Messenger believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allah), until,

[لاَ يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلاَّ وُسْعَهَا لَهَا مَا كَسَبَتْ وَعَلَيْهَا مَا اكْتَسَبَتْ]

(Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned.)

Therefore, they were pardoned what happens in their hearts, and were held accountable only for their actions.'''

Sooo to sum up :D: Allah stated that he will hold his servants accountable for whats in their hearts, but due to their strong faith, the companions thought that would diminish their good deeds so they pleaded with the prophet, but he..... ermm ermm whats the word *thinks*...............disagreed, i guess:-[ and told them to say "we hear and obey....." etc so when they accepted this Allah abrogated it, and thus revealed the ayah
"On no soul does Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear."

i hope that helps :)

islamirama
09-08-2008, 04:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

OK...I dont think anybody here is qualified enough to give you an explanation but we can all try.

WassalamuAlaykum
I think we should leave it at that. No one here is qualified to give an answer on this question unless they have studied with a sheikh. Please don't try without knowledge for you will lead yourself and others astray. Do not take such things so lightly.

I've posed the question to a sheikh and will provide an answer here inshallah once i get the reply back.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.