/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Saying Ramadaan Kareem? *confuzzled*

Re.TiReD
09-07-2008, 04:51 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

So I recently heard we shouldnt say Ramadaan Kareem? We should say Ramadaan Mubarak instead? Ramadaan Kareem is a habit I accquired from my Arab friends, I've heard it said loadss too...First I heard its incorrect *confuzzled*

Can somebody shed some light please insha'Allah?

WassalamuAlaykum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
09-07-2008, 04:58 PM
WaAlaykumus Salaam Warahmatullah,

Q. Is saying "Ramadan Mubarak" or "Ramadan Kareem" considered to be bid3ah?.

A. Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with congratulating one another at the beginning of the month. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to tell his Companions the good news of the onset of Ramadaan, and urge them to make the most of it. Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘There has come to you Ramadaan, a blessed month. Allaah has made it obligatory on you to fast (this month). During it the gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are locked, and the devils are chained up. In it there is a night that is better than a thousand months, and whoever is deprived of its goodness is deprived indeed.’” (Reported by al-Nisaa'i, 4/129; Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1/490)

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12616

:w:

Re.TiReD
09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

JazakAllahu khayran akhee, I understanding there is nothing wrong with congratulating one another, I meant the actual term, 'Ramadaan Kareem'...

WassalamuAlaykum

'Abd al-Baari
09-07-2008, 05:02 PM
:sl:

Since both "Ramadhaan Mubarak" and "Ramadhaan Kareem" are mentioned in the question, i'm sure that if either were incorrect then the Shaykh would have mentioned it in the answer. WaAllahu Aa'alm.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
09-07-2008, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari
:sl:

Since both "Ramadhaan Mubarak" and "Ramadhaan Kareem" are mentioned in the question, i'm sure that if either were incorrect then the Shaykh would have mentioned it in the answer. WaAllahu Aa'alm.

Wa'alaykum salam

JazakAllahu khayran, I figured right after posting that this is the answer i would get, lol : )

I took my confusion from the following:

Questioner: When the fasting person falls into a sin and he is prohibited from that sin he will say, “Ramadan Kareem”. So what is the ruling concerning this phrase and what is the ruling concerning this behavior?

Sheik Uthaymeen: said:

The ruling concerning this is, this phrase “Ramadan Kareem” is not correct, and the only phrase that should be said is “Ramadan Mubarak” or what resembles that. Because Ramadan is not the one that gives such that it can be called generous (Kareem), rather it is only ALLAH the Exalted that put virtue in it and made it a virtuous month and made the time period for performing (the fasting) a pillar from Islam. And it is as though the one who said this thinks that due to the nobility of this month it is permissible to commit sins. And that is in opposition to what the people of knowledge have said (for they have said) that the sins are multiplied if they are done during virtuous times or noble places so this is the opposite of what this person has pictured. And they have said that it is incumbent upon the person to have Taqwaa of ALLAH the Mighty and Majestic during every time and in every place especially during virtuous times and in noble places.

And ALLAH the Mighty and Majestic says “Oh you who believe fasting has been prescribed for you like it was prescribed for those before you that you may obtain Taqwaa.” So the wisdom behind the obligation of fasting is to gain Taqwaa of ALLAH the Mighty and Majestic by doing what He has ordered and avoiding what He has prohibited. And it has been established that the Prophet peace and blessing be upon him said “Whoever does not abandon falsehood in word and action, then Allah Mighty and Majestic has no need that he should leave his food and drink”. Therefore fasting is worship for ALLAH and cultivation for the soul and a safeguard for it from the prohibitions of ALLAH. And it is not like this one without knowledge has said that due to the nobility of this month and its blessing, sinning is allowed in it.

http://www.sahab.net/forums/ showthread.php?threadid= 338908
Although it doesnt talk specifically about using it as a greeting. Allahu A'lam indeed.

WassalamuAlaykum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.