/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

Sleepy_Dave
09-08-2008, 04:00 AM
Hello all, my name is David. I've never visited these forums before, so please forgive me if I make a fool of myself.

As a little background, I'm not actually a Muslim. I belong to a group called Unitarian Universalism. Like our ideas, what that means is entirely debatable. See, I'm a former christian (It even says so on my dogtags), but the past few years has found me in a position where I want to find my own answers. I enjoy studying philosophy, psychology, and religion.

Basically, what my religious beliefs come down to is this: You are free to think what you want to. I will not attempt to convince others to see things my way, and I would like very much if others would not try to indoctrinate me. I am always open to a spirited debate about any religion, but never for the purposes of conversion. I would like to find my own answers.

I am a former US Military service member. During my short time, I often served as a religious adviser to my fellow sailors. In fact, I was the Recruit Religious Services Petty Officer during basic training. However, then as now, I was not very educated in Islam, and I had a fellow recruit, who was a Muslim, assist in all matters related to Islam. I learned from him what I could, but our duties and responsibilities did not allow much time. I attended a Islamic Education class during basic with him, and learned some, but not much.

Until today, I had never read the Qur'an. I found a copy I think might prove useful to me. It is written by Maulana Muhammad Ali, and my copy was published in 2002. I like it because the English translation runs side-by-side with the original Arabic text, and includes a running commentary. Does the community have any commentary regarding this particular version?

I also have a question. In the past, I have highlighted and bookmark passages in the other religious books I own (The Holy Bible, The Teachings of Buddha, a variety of Hare Krishna pamphlets, that sort of thing). But since I am not sure, I must ask: Are there any particular tenants or qualms regarding marking my own copy, such as highlighting particular phrases?

I'm hoping that this forum will help me answer any questions I might have regarding Islamic, including personal perspectives. In conclusion, I look forward to talking with all of you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Na7lah
09-08-2008, 04:05 AM
welcome to LI

coddles76
09-08-2008, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Dave
Hello all, my name is David. I've never visited these forums before, so please forgive me if I make a fool of myself.

As a little background, I'm not actually a Muslim. I belong to a group called Unitarian Universalism. Like our ideas, what that means is entirely debatable. See, I'm a former christian (It even says so on my dogtags), but the past few years has found me in a position where I want to find my own answers. I enjoy studying philosophy, psychology, and religion.

Basically, what my religious beliefs come down to is this: You are free to think what you want to. I will not attempt to convince others to see things my way, and I would like very much if others would not try to indoctrinate me. I am always open to a spirited debate about any religion, but never for the purposes of conversion. I would like to find my own answers.

I am a former US Military service member. During my short time, I often served as a religious adviser to my fellow sailors. In fact, I was the Recruit Religious Services Petty Officer during basic training. However, then as now, I was not very educated in Islam, and I had a fellow recruit, who was a Muslim, assist in all matters related to Islam. I learned from him what I could, but our duties and responsibilities did not allow much time. I attended a Islamic Education class during basic with him, and learned some, but not much.

Until today, I had never read the Qur'an. I found a copy I think might prove useful to me. It is written by Maulana Muhammad Ali, and my copy was published in 2002. I like it because the English translation runs side-by-side with the original Arabic text, and includes a running commentary. Does the community have any commentary regarding this particular version?

I also have a question. In the past, I have highlighted and bookmark passages in the other religious books I own (The Holy Bible, The Teachings of Buddha, a variety of Hare Krishna pamphlets, that sort of thing). But since I am not sure, I must ask: Are there any particular tenants or qualms regarding marking my own copy, such as highlighting particular phrases?

I'm hoping that this forum will help me answer any questions I might have regarding Islamic, including personal perspectives. In conclusion, I look forward to talking with all of you.
Peace be with you Dave,
Welcome to the forum, you have a very interesting Biography. Hopefully you can converse and gain some advantage from registering on this forum.

جوري
09-08-2008, 04:47 AM
:welcome: to Li.. yusufali is an acceptable translation as is Pickthal.
I think you as an American might find the message of the Quran by Leopold Weiss (Muhammad Asad) easier as it is written by an American, Pickthal was British, and his language at times is a bit archaic and in some aspects incorrect..

you can purchase a copy at Amazon, it has a good 5 star review by most of those who have read it

http://www.amazon.com/Message-Quran-...0849169&sr=8-1

this also has Arabic beside English, commentary with more than one resource as well transliteration on how to pronounce the Arabic words..

peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
09-08-2008, 05:29 AM
Hi there...

You're the first Unitarian here... Welcome!

Peace from Malaysia...

Pk_#2
09-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Hello,

Welcome to the forum Dave_Sleepy,

Be good and don't fall asleep typing! =) Thankoo.

Uthman
09-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Welcome David. :)

Sleepy_Dave
09-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Thank you all for your kind words and greetings. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous. Like many people, I have seen the kindness and humility I have been told about Muslims. However, like many Americans, I have been told about the fanatic. I have to admit, I'm in the group most fanatics love to hate. American, Military, Christian (well, kind of).

I defend myself by saying this: While I was in the military, I had little participation in any struggle involving Islam, or any Arab culture in general. I was a teacher, of voice and confidence. My job was to help my fellow sailors stand tall and speak confidently of knowledge, of facts and numbers. And besides all that, I studied the Chinese, out of sheer intellectual curiosity.

While I am an American, I believe that in the end, we are all one people. Difference in language, ideas, and race are fleeting things, images we create in our minds so that we may hate each other for what we think is a good reason. I did not choose the country I live in, though I do love it dearly. I am not my government, I am not my military. I am me, and I believe what I believe.

And yet, as I type this, I think to myself "I have not been threatened here. Why do I feel the need to defend myself?"

I read the Qur'an, and I see ideas that seem so similar to those I have read about in the Bible, and in Hindu texts. Words may be different, but then, there are hundreds of different translations of the Bible, differences in phrases, but the meaning is the same.

I see distinct parallels between the Christian God with his prophet Jesus Christ, and the Muslim god Allah with his prophet Muhammad (all peace and blessings upon them). Both prophets were teachers. Both gods contain unlimited mercy and wrath. Why then do people fear Arabs? I no longer understand that fear. I cannot blame the common man for the acts of zealots, fanatics, and terrorists, nor can I claim that christians have always been entirely righteous. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I don't know why I'm saying this, only that I felt the need to say it. Perhaps that makes some amount of sense.

One other thing: I asked earlier, and I will raise this again. What are our feelings on marking specific passages in the Qur'an. I have a habit with my Bible. I tend to highlight certain passages (such as 1 Corinthians 13:11, my favorite) and then dog-ear a corner of the bag, so that the point is on the page I highlighted. I have researched, and found some rather specific statements, regarding desecration, and this part interested me:

Muslims must always treat the book with reverence, and are forbidden, for instance, to pulp, recycle, or simply discard worn-out copies of the text; instead, burning or burying the worn-out copies in a respectful manner is required. [1] Respect for the written text of the Qur'an is an important element of religious faith in Islam. Intentionally insulting the Qur'an is regarded as a form of blasphemy. Desecrating a copy of the Qur'an is punishable by imprisonment in some countries (life imprisonment in Pakistan, according to Article 295-B of the Penal Code) and, reportedly, by death in others.
Would following the same practice as my Bible fall under this, or am I okay in doing so? I would never harm a holy book, regardless of its faith, and I never throw the things out. It seems disrespectful to abuse and disregard a thing that millions have formed their lives around. Any thoughts on this matter?

chacha_jalebi
09-08-2008, 11:53 AM
if i was english i would keep myself the name dave :embarrass

welcome dave! some day we can grab fish n chips, and a pint of ribena or coke what ya say ol chap:D

IbnAbdulHakim
09-08-2008, 02:28 PM
^ really? i'd take Mo :D

welcome dave :)

Pk_#2
09-08-2008, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ really? i'd take Mo :D

welcome dave :)
I'd be Frederick, that's if I were to change my total identity..

Ansariyah
09-08-2008, 09:26 PM
I didnt read the whole essay but Welcome.

Re.TiReD
09-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Hello there dave,

Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry your question isnt being answered, maybe somebody who knows will come and answer, if not I'll try finding it.

Toodles.

FatimaAsSideqah
09-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Hello Dave.

Welcome to LI! You can ask any of questions to us then we can trying to answer back to you.

Re.TiReD
09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Sorry i couldnt find anything specific:

Writing names on Mus-hafs is permissible
People often write the date of special occasions and a few words on Mus-hafs when giving them as gifts. Is this permissible?.

Praise be to Allaah.
It is permissible if the Mus-haf is intended as a gift. One can write “This is a gift to So and so on the occasion of such and such.” There is no reason why this should not be allowed, in sha Allaah. Or if a person wants to a book as a gift and he writes in it, whether in his own handwriting or that is printed in the book, this is OK.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Jibreen Al-Daw’ah magazine, issue no. 1795, p. 45

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!