/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 2 differences i've noticed

`Yousef
09-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Asalam Alakum.

Two things i've picked up on and noticed...

1. Why do some people say azeem and some ahdeem?

2. When praying in ga'maa and doing tashuud I noticed that some people flicker their second right finger while saying the shahadah, whereas I was taught to hold the finger in a straight position? Is it the same? Or should I be doing the other method?

They may sound like very basic questions, but I'm 14 :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
09-08-2008, 08:01 PM
:wasalamex:

Thread Approved

Ali.
09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalam.

format_quote Originally Posted by `Yousef
Different dialects. Ahdeem is proper Arabic, while for example Egyptians will say Azeem. Egyptians also pronounce J in Arabic as G. :)

2. When praying in ga'maa and doing tashuud I noticed that some people flicker their second right finger while saying the shahadah, whereas I was taught to hold the finger in a straight position? Is it the same? Or should I be doing the other method?
It basically means "one Allah". Different scholars have different views, though:

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/7570/point...hile%20praying

I'm 14
Don't worry, that's not a silly question and there are quite a lot of members here in your age range. :)

`Yousef
09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I like your signature :). That thing about egyptians is funny, because my whole family is egyptian... and infact I think I might be the only one who says ahdeem. The J to G thing I knew about, for example Mountains = Ja'bal = Ga'Bal.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Asalam Alakum.

1 - different pronounciations

2 - gamaa... love it:D thats a example, some say jamaah, some gamaa,

both ways are accepted and are kool, as the post by bro ali showed

and mashallah at 14 some kids dont know jack, i didnt :D so you should feel happy your learnin

Umar001
09-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Wa 'Alaykum As Salaam Wa Rahmatullah Brother,

It is a good thing that you ask, also it is a good thing that you observe and pick upon such things. It is good to be mindful and think about matters of the religion. Asking is a step in taking knowledge, and know that whoever Allah wishes good for He grants him understanding of the religion. So it is good that at such an age you are wondering and asking about such things.

With regards to the pronounciation, it is important that you learn the place where the letters are articulated/pronounced from, and how to say them, sometimes when we mispronounce letters it can change the meaning. Changing the Qaaf to a Kaaf can mean you speak of a dog (kalb) instead of a heart (qalb). So we should be careful and imitate, and learn from, those who speak arabic properly. Insha'Allah. And Allah knows best.

doorster
09-13-2008, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Wa 'Alaykum As Salaam Wa Rahmatullah Brother,

It is a good thing that you ask, also it is a good thing that you observe and pick upon such things. It is good to be mindful and think about matters of the religion. Asking is a step in taking knowledge, and know that whoever Allah wishes good for He grants him understanding of the religion. So it is good that at such an age you are wondering and asking about such things.

With regards to the pronounciation, it is important that you learn the place where the letters are articulated/pronounced from, and how to say them, sometimes when we mispronounce letters it can change the meaning. Changing the Qaaf to a Kaaf can mean you speak of a dog (kalb) instead of a heart (qalb). So we should be careful and imitate, and learn from, those who speak arabic properly. Insha'Allah. And Allah knows best.
:sl:
I have to agree with chacha, because if I know what I intend to say and know the meanings of the words I am saying, then accent/dialect/missing or replaced sounds do not matter one little bit.

likewise if I say to some one to go feed the kalb they will have sense enough to go feed the dog and not start doin a chest operation.

there are many non-arab scholars, teachers and speakers whose native languges just do not have enough sounds (you should hear shaikh estes doing tilawat)

I have been abused by many wannabe scholars who have delusions of being linguists for using z in Azan, Ramzaan etc. but I do not care as long as I know what I am saying, the listener understands what I am saying

:w:

Umar001
09-13-2008, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
I have to agree with chacha, because if I know what I intend to say and know the meanings of the words I am saying, then accent/dialect/missing or replaced sounds do not matter one little bit.

likewise if I say to some one to go feed the kalb they will have sense enough to go feed the dog and not start doin a chest operation.

there are many non-arab scholars, teachers and speakers whose native languges just do not have enough sounds (you should hear shaikh estes doing tilawat)

I have been abused by many wannabe scholars who have delusions of being linguists for using z in Azan, Ramzaan etc. but I do not care as long as I know what I am saying, the listener understands what I am saying

Wa Alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

Of course people should not be abusing you, nor others for making what they may think is a mistake and maybe their abuse has made you more firm upon this decision. But I think we should care about how we speak. I am not saying that it is our fault (I say our fault because even I do not speak Arabic and I am learning the proper pronounciation), but I am saying that we should try to better our pronounciation as much as possible, even if we know what we are saying. Why? Because then we will pronounce the words of God properly, we will not change the words of God in our recitation like some do, even the marks in the Qur'an, like the fatha kasra and dammah came about because people mispronounced things, and so instead of reading Allah and His Messenger have broken ties with the Mushrikeen, one read Allah has broken ties with the Mushrikeen and His Messenger.

Anyhow, I think it is important to try and perfect our recitation, I am not saying people who find it hard to pronounce arabic letters should be abused or laughed at, just like I dont think a person who cannot stand for prayer should be ridiculed, but we should all try our best, but if it was not important the scholars would not have the science of Tajweed.

And I pray that Allah, the Mighty and Al Knowing, makes me efficient in Arabic and Reading Qur'an, and peace and blessings be upon His messenger.

doorster
09-13-2008, 04:31 PM
jazaka Allah khair

of course everyone tries but some times it is not possible for people of all ages. Insha'Allah next generation will be better at it than mine is.

in my own country there is no z sound (in pujabi) so all the un-schooled adults use j for non-pujabi words with z sound.

e.g

Ijazat becomes ijajat, when some child who has been to school and learnt Urdu and z sound laughs at them they try to live up to the child's new-found knowledge and replace every j sound with z turning Ijazat in to Izazat.

probably the best way forward is to let people learn at their own pace kinda let them change over a lifetime (as long as every one knows what they are saying and understand each other)

Al-Zaara
09-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Same goes to audhu (billahi minne...) and auzu? These are different pronouncations too, right? Asking just in case...

doorster
09-13-2008, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Same goes to audhu (billahi minne...) and auzu? These are different pronunciations too, right? Asking just in case...
yes we say "auzu billah"

WomanOfJihad
09-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Excellent.. tajweed lessons goin on here ... which reminds me have we got any threads on tajweed?

dilkadr
09-18-2008, 03:45 AM
Asalam Alakum.

1. Have you ever noticed the difference of accent among Italian, Mexican, French speaking people when they speak in English? Same is here; some people [Non-Arab] pronounce it with 'z' and Arabs with 'ad'.

We should try to follow Arabs way of speaking when speaking in Arabic as we follow Britan's way when speaking in English.

2. I believe it is just a matter of tradition - both ways are OK. Same here, I myself observe it when in Saudi Arabia, mostly Arabic speaking people were practicing it flickering index finger, where as Pakistani people only rise their index finger once.

And Allah Knows Best

Hamayun
09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree with Al-Habeshi here.

We should at least make an effort to learn the right pronounciation.

If you do it by mistake then Allah knows your intentions are right. But if you know you are pronouncing it wrong then there is no excuse for doing it.

Umar001
09-18-2008, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Same goes to audhu (billahi minne...) and auzu? These are different pronouncations too, right? Asking just in case...
They are different pronounciations, but are they valid? I have never heard a recitor from the Arab lands, say Auzu, I have heard people who are from Asia and Africa even my own country so dont anyone think I am being racist say Auzo or Lazina or Iza instead of Idha.

Allah the Most High knows best, I don't know if they are allowed or if they are both correct, I just have never heard the Dha one being pronounced as a Zaa by people from the arab areas or even people who seem to have graduated from places of knowledge.

doorster
09-18-2008, 10:15 PM
in our part of the world "th" sound (as in they) comes from د
we do not change it to z any word that contains د
is pronounced with "th" sound

alcurad
09-19-2008, 12:42 AM
hmm i don't want to insult or anything but doesn't it look strange when some people start moving their finger in the strangest manner when doing tashahhud?
you would say differences of opinion, but just where is the evidence that the prophet used to do it?

doorster
10-17-2008, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
hmm i don't want to insult or anything but doesn't it look strange when some people start moving their finger in the strangest manner when doing tashahhud?
you would say differences of opinion, but just where is the evidence that the prophet used to do it?

We are DROWNING OURSELVES IN MINOR DETAILS while the rest of the world is advancing in leaps and bounds

DROWNING IN MINOR DETAILS
By Sheikh Salman b. Fahd al-Oudah
General Supervisor of the IslamToday Website
Praise be to Allah; we praise Him, seek His forgiveness, and turn to Him in repentance.
We seek refuge with Him from the evils of our souls and the evils of our deeds. Whomever Allah guides, none can misguide, and whomever Allah leads astray, none can guide. I bear witness that there is no god but Allah alone without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger.
Over-emphasizing minor details has been a negative aspect of contemporary Muslim life for decades. It is not merely an affliction affecting one aspect of life, and it is not merely a mistake made by those engaged in Islamic work. It is a mistake that Muslims fall victim to in every aspect of their lives, without exception. Muslims are overly concerned with minor details in everything that matters to them. This excessive concern for the details has caused them to neglect issues of universal importance and lose sight of the fundamentals.

Yanal
10-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Asalam Alakum.

Welcome but I was taught to keep straight and I am 13 could you guess that before I told you, guess not. This forum matured me and will do the same for you inshallah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.