/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan Kareem!

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi! I found this message board via Google, and hopefully I'll be able to learn a lot from you all.

I'm an American Jew who practices according to the "Maimonidean" traditions (most American and European Jews do not practice this way). I am aware of the vast and far-reaching impact Islam and Judaism have had on each other culturally and religiously; and as part of my own religious studies I regularly study the Qur'an (Bakhtiar translation) and the writings of Indries Shah, as well as the works of Arab-Jewish spiritualists.

I am conversant in Hebrew (which, btw, when pronounced correctly sounds very close to Arabic) and am trying to learn Arabic. I spoke with an individual at a local mosque who said that he may be able to put together a program for my girlfriend and me, but we'll see if that pans out.

As far as the whole situation in Israel is concerned, let me put my perspective simply: The land is God's. If Muslims wish to live on the land, then they must do so in accordance with the laws God has given them. If Jews wish to live on the land, then they must do so in accordance with the laws God has given them. A secular state that does not cherish or even respect the rights of its citizens, Jews and non-Jews alike, has no real legitimacy - it is only the threat of force and might that is behind its laws. This, from what I understand of Judaism, is anathema to the society envisioned and prescribed in the Tora.

If you have any questions about Judaism, please feel free to ask - I'm not easily offended at all, and I've been blessed with much time to pursue my rabbinic studies.

With much love,

- Ahl al-Dhikr :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nájlá
09-12-2008, 09:27 PM
hi
welcome Ahl al-Dhikr

inshallah u will learn alot about islam.

i hope u enjoy urself here.
:)

peace

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Thank you!

Pk_#2
09-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Hello,

I don't think we have any Jewish members, lots of Christian and Atheist members,

Welcome,

Are you on J forum? Or any Jewish forums?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 02:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Da'watul-Allaah
Hello,
I don't think we have any Jewish members, lots of Christian and Atheist members,
Welcome,
Are you on J forum? Or any Jewish forums?
Thanks! I'm not currently on any Jewish forums, but maybe I'll look for some.

May I ask what Da'watul-Allaah means? :)

Ali.
09-14-2008, 02:46 PM
:welcome: to the forum!

I wish you an enjoyable and beneficial stay, and may I also add that if you have any questions at all regarding Islam, please don't hesitate to ask!

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
:welcome: to the forum!

I wish you an enjoyable and beneficial stay, and may I also add that if you have any questions at all regarding Islam, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you! Should I post my questions here, or in another forum?

Re.TiReD
09-14-2008, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahl al-Dhikr
Thank you! Should I post my questions here, or in another forum?
In general if its a general question, in advice and support if you need advice, in comparative religion if u wanna talk about Judaism and Islam...And so on and so forth :)

Güven
09-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Welcome Ahl al-Dhikr :)
I hope you have an Awesome and a beneficial Time in here
Dont Hesitate if you have any questions

Güven
09-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Comparative Religion is Temporarily Closed Because of Ramadan :)
Just In case if you have questions there :)

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Thank you all very much. I posted my first question (!) in the Qur'an forum...as I formulate more, I'll be sure to post 'em!

...actually, I do have another question: What do these two phrases mean?

:w:

and

:sl:

Güven
09-14-2008, 03:42 PM
The first One means :w: Wa Aleykum Salam ( Peace be upon you too)

The second one means :sl: Assalamu Aleykum ( Peace be upon you )

Someone Please correct me if its wrong :)

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
The first One means :w: Wa Aleykum Salam ( Peace be upon you too)

The second one means :sl: Assalamu Aleykum ( Peace be upon you )

Someone Please correct me if its wrong :)
Thank you! "Assalamu aleykum" - is this phrased in the plural?

'Abd al-Baari
09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey,

Welcome to the forums! :)
Hope you enjoy your stay here, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

:peace:

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari
Hey,

Welcome to the forums! :)
Hope you enjoy your stay here, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

:peace:
Thanks! And thanks for moving my other thread to the right forum - my apologies! :)

Güven
09-14-2008, 03:52 PM
edit

Güven
09-14-2008, 03:54 PM
The Full Form is like : As Salamu Aleikum Wa Rahmatul lahi Wa Barakatuh means peace, mercy and blessings from Allah be upon you :)

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
The Full Form is like : As Salamu Aleikum Wa Rahmatul lahi Wa Barakatuh means peace, mercy and blessings from Allah be upon you :)
Ahhh very interesting. In Hebrew, we have the phrase:
"Shalom wu-berakhoth 'aleikhem," which means "peace and blessings [be] upon you." I wonder if it was shortened from a similar phrase?

Ali.
09-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Thank you all very much. I posted my first question (!) in the Qur'an forum...as I formulate more, I'll be sure to post 'em!

...actually, I do have another question: What do these two phrases mean?

and

:w:: And may peace be upon you (used usually to say bye).

:sl:: May peace be upon you - usually used to greet someone.
No, it originated for old Arabic and this would be used to greet somebody important, or to show high respect (would be used with everyone, not just Kings etc.). Modern Arabic it would be seen as plural, but dating back to old Arabic it's singular, so we use it as singular.

Also, Guven, this is used to say and may peace be upon you too (used to greet someone back if they say :sl:):

و عليكم السلام

Ahhh very interesting. In Hebrew, we have the phrase:
"Shalom wu-berakhoth 'aleikhem," which means "peace and blessings [be] upon you." I wonder if it was shortened from a similar phrase?

I don't think so, Arabic and Hebrew are I'm sure two very different languages. Maybe someone who knows for sure can answer you on that one :).

Ali.
09-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Double post - could mod's please delete :).

Ansariyah
09-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Welcome Ahl al-Dhikr enjoy ur stay. ..Interesting choice of name, wat made u choose it?

Pk_#2
09-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks! I'm not currently on any Jewish forums, but maybe I'll look for some.

May I ask what Da'watul-Allaah means? :)
I have no idea,

..you joined a Muslim forum before a Jewish one..Interesting. :thumbs_up

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 11:15 PM
:w:: And may peace be upon you (used usually to say bye).
:sl:: May peace be upon you - usually used to greet someone.
No, it originated for old Arabic and this would be used to greet somebody important, or to show high respect (would be used with everyone, not just Kings etc.). Modern Arabic it would be seen as plural, but dating back to old Arabic it's singular, so we use it as singular.
Also, Guven, this is used to say and may peace be upon you too (used to greet someone back if they say :sl:):
و عليكم السلام
I don't think so, Arabic and Hebrew are I'm sure two very different languages. Maybe someone who knows for sure can answer you on that one :).
Very interesting. Is that singular-->plural transition found by other words as well?

From what I understand, Arabic and Hebrew are more intertwined than one might think. ;)

Thanks for the clarification!

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Welcome Ahl al-Dhikr enjoy ur stay. ..Interesting choice of name, wat made u choose it?
Thank you! I chose the name because it is a wonderful description of my people. :)

al Amaanah
09-14-2008, 11:18 PM
welcome to LI.

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-14-2008, 11:19 PM
I have no idea,

..you joined a Muslim forum before a Jewish one..Interesting. :thumbs_up
I'm sorry, I don't understand - do you not know what the name means, or does it mean "I have no idea"? :?

I haven't really found a Jewish forum that I've liked, unfortunately - but truth be told, I haven't really looked that hard, either. :)

Pk_#2
09-15-2008, 06:30 AM
I'm sorry, I don't understand - do you not know what the name means, or does it mean "I have no idea"? :?
The first part, I just kept it 'cause it sounded cool innay, but according to Mod Abdul Baari it means 'Inviter to Allah',

I haven't really found a Jewish forum that I've liked, unfortunately - but truth be told, I haven't really looked that hard, either. :)
Oh.

north_malaysian
09-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Ramadan Kareem too!!!! :D

I hope you would be very active in this thread (I hope Woodrow would re-open it after Ramadan ..Inshallah)

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...wered-jew.html

Welcome!

Nájlá
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
The first part, I just kept it 'cause it sounded cool innay, but according to Mod Abdul Baari it means 'Inviter to Allah',
yeh thats what it means

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Oh.
Ah, very interesting! Where did you come across it? Is it used in a liturgical context (invitation to prayer)?

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-15-2008, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Ramadan Kareem too!!!! :D
I hope you would be very active in this thread (I hope Woodrow would re-open it after Ramadan ..Inshallah)
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...wered-jew.html
Welcome!
Thank you! I will most definitely attempt to make myself useful in that regard, and look forward to the re-opening of the thread after Ramadan. :)

Ali.
09-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Very interesting. Is that singular-->plural transition found by other words as well?

Not that I know of.

From what I understand, Arabic and Hebrew are more intertwined than one might think. ;)
Really? Cool, I never knew.

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Not that I know of.
Really? Cool, I never knew.
My understanding of the subject is far from adequate, but I have read that even the root Q.R.' was introduced to Arabic by Muhammed (upon him is the Peace), who appropriated it from the Hebrew language, along with other terms necessary to convey the ideas of his revelation to his fellow people.

I did a bit of Googling, and found a list of word in Hebrew and Arabic that are cognate to each other. A superficial study, to be sure - but interesting reading nonetheless! :)

Uthman
09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Welcome Ahl al-Dhikr. :)

I've read a few of your posts already and I'm very impressed! I hope you stick around. It sure would be nice to finally have an active Jewish member on the forums.

Regards

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Welcome Ahl al-Dhikr. :)

I've read a few of your posts already and I'm very impressed! I hope you stick around. It sure would be nice to finally have an active Jewish member on the forums.

Regards
Thank you! I hope to learn a lot on this board, as well as contribute whatever I can to the discussion.

جوري
09-18-2008, 02:44 AM
Hi! I found this message board via Google, and hopefully I'll be able to learn a lot from you all.

I'm an American Jew who practices according to the "Maimonidean" traditions (most American and European Jews do not practice this way). I am aware of the vast and far-reaching impact Islam and Judaism have had on each other culturally and religiously; and as part of my own religious studies I regularly study the Qur'an (Bakhtiar translation) and the writings of Indries Shah, as well as the works of Arab-Jewish spiritualists.

I am conversant in Hebrew (which, btw, when pronounced correctly sounds very close to Arabic) and am trying to learn Arabic. I spoke with an individual at a local mosque who said that he may be able to put together a program for my girlfriend and me, but we'll see if that pans out.

As far as the whole situation in Israel is concerned, let me put my perspective simply: The land is God's. If Muslims wish to live on the land, then they must do so in accordance with the laws God has given them. If Jews wish to live on the land, then they must do so in accordance with the laws God has given them. A secular state that does not cherish or even respect the rights of its citizens, Jews and non-Jews alike, has no real legitimacy - it is only the threat of force and might that is behind its laws. This, from what I understand of Judaism, is anathema to the society envisioned and prescribed in the Tora.

If you have any questions about Judaism, please feel free to ask - I'm not easily offended at all, and I've been blessed with much time to pursue my rabbinic studies.

With much love,

- Ahl al-Dhikr :)
:welcome: aboard ahl al 'dhikr..
perhaps you can take over the Jewish thread, many of our former members 'Rav' being my favorite have left unfortunately and thus leave us without the Jewish perspective which used to liven the forum.. theologically speaking that is..
I personally prefer to stay from world's affairs.. politics makes strange bedfellows...
starting with what it means to be a Maimonides Jew?.. from my understanding he was an Jew kicked from Spain, welcomed in north Africa and has written volumes of literature, one was zham abna'a Ismael -- he was well respected otherwise..
How is your branch of Judaism different from mainstream?

peace

جوري
09-18-2008, 03:00 AM

Thanks for the clarification!
plural is really used as a form of respect.. for instance in this sura

Media Tags are no longer supported

in the later verses, 59 on
God refers to himself in the plural instead of I-- 'we'--[ 'na7no' ]
in the third person, is used as a sign of respect..
sort of like in French, compare tu to vous

as for your similarities between Arabic and Hebrew, they are both Semitic languages that share a common etymology... My dad speaks Hebrew amongst other languages, and you'd be indeed surprised how many words we have in common.

peace

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-19-2008, 06:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
:welcome: aboard ahl al 'dhikr..
perhaps you can take over the Jewish thread, many of our former members 'Rav' being my favorite have left unfortunately and thus leave us without the Jewish perspective which used to liven the forum.. theologically speaking that is..
I personally prefer to stay from world's affairs.. politics makes strange bedfellows...
starting with what it means to be a Maimonides Jew?.. from my understanding he was an Jew kicked from Spain, welcomed in north Africa and has written volumes of literature, one was zham abna'a Ismael -- he was well respected otherwise..
How is your branch of Judaism different from mainstream?
peace
Thank you! I'll do my best to offer what limited insight I can.

I tend to resist labels; I call myself a Maimonidean Jew because I practice according to legal compendium - the Mishne Tora ("restatement of the law") compiled by Moshe b. Maimon (an Andalusian Jew who became the leader of the Egyptian Jewish community). He was the only person to ever write a complete and comprehensive compendium of the entire law as it is to be practiced, distilling it from the voluminous records, dialectics, and narratives of the five primary rabbinic legal texts. This compendium was endorsed by virtually all Jewish communities outside of Franco-Germany and eastern Europe, and is especially beloved by the Jews of Yemen, Spain, and Portugal.

For eight generations after him, Moshe b. Maimon's male descendants served as the Najid of the Jewish community in Forstat (Cairo). His son, Avraham, was also a practicing Sufi (in Hebrew, Hasid), identifying their practices as ultimately corresponding to the ancient religious practices of the biblical Jews, who are considered "friends" and "companions" of each other and "the Beloved" (in Hebrew, dodi - see Song of Songs).

I would not consider myself part of a separate "branch" of Judaism, but rather simply an American Jew who opts for a more traditional and academic religious practice than currently popular among many Jews of European descent.

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-19-2008, 06:02 AM
plural is really used as a form of respect.. for instance in this sura
in the later verses, 59 on
God refers to himself in the plural instead of I-- 'we'--[ 'na7no' ]
in the third person, is used as a sign of respect..
sort of like in French, compare tu to vous
as for your similarities between Arabic and Hebrew, they are both Semitic languages that share a common etymology... My dad speaks Hebrew amongst other languages, and you'd be indeed surprised how many words we have in common.
peace
Thanks for the information! If the plural is used as a sign of respect, is that why the narrative voice adopted by the Most High in the Qur'an is that of "We"?

The more I learn of the beauty of Arabic, the more I find my knowledge of and appreciation for Hebrew enriched. Where did your father have an opportunity to learn Hebrew?

جوري
09-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the information! If the plural is used as a sign of respect, is that why the narrative voice adopted by the Most High in the Qur'an is that of "We"?

The more I learn of the beauty of Arabic, the more I find my knowledge of and appreciation for Hebrew enriched. Where did your father have an opportunity to learn Hebrew?

exactly.. did you have a chance to listen to the sura?

My dad learned Hebrew in Egypt.. we have a few books in Hebrew in his library.. and I notice many words in common..

we have a Judaism thread here on board but a few sections are closed in observance of Ramadan, perhaps once opened you can take over where the others have left off.. we had a few respectful Jewish members... they come and go :)
so we hope you stay.. I am sure we'll learn much from you..

we had a dear member who passed away a week ago imsad who was self-taught in Hebrew.. she was a great lady.. she would have enjoyed having you on board..

Anyhow, welcome again and enjoy your stay

peace

north_malaysian
09-19-2008, 07:59 AM
yeah... you should contribute and teach us Hebrew in this thread...

http://www.islamicboard.com/misc-lan...97-1514-a.html

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-21-2008, 04:15 PM
exactly.. did you have a chance to listen to the sura?
My dad learned Hebrew in Egypt.. we have a few books in Hebrew in his library.. and I notice many words in common..
we have a Judaism thread here on board but a few sections are closed in observance of Ramadan, perhaps once opened you can take over where the others have left off.. we had a few respectful Jewish members... they come and go :)
so we hope you stay.. I am sure we'll learn much from you..
we had a dear member who passed away a week ago imsad who was self-taught in Hebrew.. she was a great lady.. she would have enjoyed having you on board..
Anyhow, welcome again and enjoy your stay
peace
The recitation of the sura was beautiful! It sounded like a pleasant blend of poetry and cantillation. Unsurprisingly, it reminded me a lot of the way Yemeni and Syrian Jews read the Tora.

Egypt! My girlfriend is from Egypt, her parents moved here (via France) in the late sixties, I believe. Where did your father live?

I'll be more than happy to contribute what I can about Judaism. I'm by no means knowledgeable enough to contribute much of value, but who knows...:)

I read the thread in which it was made known of your friend's passing...I am truly sorry for your loss. God is the Comforter of all.

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
yeah... you should contribute and teach us Hebrew in this thread...
http://www.islamicboard.com/misc-lan...97-1514-a.html
Thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

I don't know if I'll actually be able to teach you Hebrew over a message board, but I'll do my best!

doorster
09-21-2008, 04:55 PM
you (learners) can also take a look at this program:

FoundationStone - a free and easy way to learn Hebrew

FoundationStone is a FREE Java application for you to learn Hebrew. The Online Hebrew Tutorial is available as part of the download.

wa salaam alaikum

bewildred
09-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Boker Tov,

I hope your stay in here will be beneficial. Take care.

Ahl al-Dhikr
09-21-2008, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
Boker Tov,
I hope your stay in here will be beneficial. Take care.
Boqer Or! (the customary response to "boqer tov") :)

Thank you, and I hope so too!

جوري
09-21-2008, 07:21 PM
The recitation of the sura was beautiful! It sounded like a pleasant blend of poetry and cantillation. Unsurprisingly, it reminded me a lot of the way Yemeni and Syrian Jews read the Tora.

Egypt! My girlfriend is from Egypt, her parents moved here (via France) in the late sixties, I believe. Where did your father live?

I'll be more than happy to contribute what I can about Judaism. I'm by no means knowledgeable enough to contribute much of value, but who knows...:)

I read the thread in which it was made known of your friend's passing...I am truly sorry for your loss. God is the Comforter of all.

My dad is from port Saiid...
I believe a politic exchange is beneficial to all... you need to resurrect that old thread. comparative religion has been hijacked by atheists, I think it is about time it came back to its roots..
Eli was a special lady indeed.. I am not sure we'll have another like her on this forum... she had just the right blend of acquired wisdom, unique insight and political correctness in delivery....

peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.