/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Another misinterpretation: House burning?

AntiKarateKid
09-13-2008, 04:16 AM
I was jsut wondering how to interpret this hadith.

COMPULSORY TO PRAY IN THE MASJEED
The Prophet said, "No prayer is harder for the hypocrites than the Fajr and the 'Isha' prayers and if they knew the reward for these prayers at their respective times, they would certainly present themselves (in the mosques) even if they had to crawl." The Prophet added, "Certainly I decided to order the Mu'adhdhin (call-maker) to pronounce Iqama and order a man to lead the prayer and then take a fire flame to burn all those who had not left their houses so far for the prayer along with their houses." Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith, Hadith 1.626 Narrated by Abu Huraira
The Prophet said, "No doubt, I intended to order somebody to pronounce the Iqama of the (compulsory congregational) prayer and then I would go to the houses of those who do not attend the prayer and burn their houses over them." Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith, Hadith 3.602 Narrated by Abu Huraira

Is this one of those things that's lost in translation. Af far as I know the Prophet didnt burn anyone and in another version of the hadith only houses burning is mentioned.

Your thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
09-13-2008, 10:06 AM
:salamext:

From IslamQA.com

Praise be to Allaah.

Prayer in congregation is obligatory for healthy men in the mosque, according to the more correct scholarly opinion. This is based on a great deal of evidence, including the following:

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“When you (O Messenger Muhammad) are among them, and lead them in As‑Salaah (the prayer), let one party of them stand up [in Salaah (prayer)] with you taking their arms with them; when they finish their prostrations, let them take their positions in the rear and let the other party come up which have not yet prayed, and let them pray with you”

[al-Nisa’ 4:102]

The following points are made on the basis of this verse:

Allaah commands them to pray in congregation, then He repeats this command a second time with regard to the second party or group, as He says, “and let the other party come up which have not yet prayed, and let them pray with you”. This indicates that prayer in congregation is an obligation for all individuals, because Allaah did not absolve the second group of this obligation as a result of the first group praying in congregation. If prayer in congregation was Sunnah, it would be more appropriate for people to be excused from it at times of fear [the situation referred to in this verse], and if it were fard kifaayah (a communal obligation), it would be discharged by the actions of the first group. So this verse shows that it is an individual obligation, and demonstrates that in three ways: it is enjoined at the beginning, then it is enjoined a second time, and there is no concession allowing them not to do it at times of fear.

From the words of Ibn al-Qayyim in Kitaab al-Salaah.

2 – In al-Saheehayn (the following version was narrated by al-Bukhaari) it is narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, I had thought of ordering that wood be gathered, then I would command the call to prayer to be given, and I would appoint a man to lead the people in prayer, then I would go to men [who do not attend the congregational prayer] and burn their houses down around them. By the One in Whose hand is my soul, if anyone of you had known that he would receive a bone covered with meat or two (small) pieces of meat in a sheep’s foot, he would come for 'Isha' prayer.”

Al-Bukhaari, 7224; Muslim, 651.

Ibn al-Mundhir (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The fact that he was thinking of burning down the houses of people who did not attend the prayer is the clearest evidence that attending prayer in congregation is obligatory, because it would not be permissible for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to do this with regard to something that was mustahabb and not obligatory. Al-Awsat, 4/134

For more information on the evidence, please see question no. 8918.

Once it is established that prayer in congregation is obligatory, it is obligatory to perform this prayer in the mosque. It is not permissible for a man who is able to attend the congregational prayer in the mosque to pray in his house even if he prays in congregation with his family.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said:

With regard to not praying in congregation, this is a reprehensible action and is not permitted. It is also one of the attributes of the hypocrites.

It is obligatory for the Muslim to pray in the mosque in congregation, as it says in the hadeeth of Ibn Umm Maktoom – who was a blind man. He said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I do not have a guide to lead me to the mosque,” and he asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to grant him a concession allowing him to pray in his house, and he allowed him that, but when he turned away he called him back and asked, “Can you hear the call to prayer?” He said, “Yes.” He said, “Then answer it.” Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh, 635.

And it was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever hears the call to prayer and does not come, there is no prayer for him [i.e., his prayer is not valid], unless he has an excuse.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, al-Daaraqutni, Ibn Hibbaan and al-Haakim with a saheeh isnaad. It was said to Ibn ‘Abbaas, what is an excuse? He said, Fear or sickness.

In Saheeh Muslim (654) it is narrated that Ibn Mas’ood said: “At the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) we used to think that no one failed to attend the prayer in congregation but a hypocrite or one who was sick.”

What is meant is that the believer is required to pray in the mosque, and it is not permissible for him to take the matter lightly and pray in his house when the mosque is nearby.

The fact that only two men pray in the mosque reinforces the fact that you have to attend the congregational prayer, so as to be free of any sin or shortcoming, and so as to encourage them to attend the prayer in congregation in the mosque, so that they will not get lazy. Two or more people constitutes a congregation.

Ibn Hubayrah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “[The scholars] were unanimously agreed that the smallest number that counts for prayer in congregation, apart from Jumu’ah prayer, is two: the imam and the person who is praying behind him, who should stand to his right.” Al-Ifsaah, 1/155

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “A congregation may consist of two or more, and we know of no difference of opinion concerning that.”

And Allaah knows best.

'Abd-al Latif
09-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Another one from IslamQA.com

Question:
I am a new Muslim and I want to know whether it is better for the Muslim to offer the obligatory prayers in the mosque, and what is the evidence for that?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

We praise Allaah for guiding you to the religion of Islam. This is a great blessing for which Allaah should be praised and thanked.

Secondly:

The Muslim has to understand that prayer is the greatest of the pillars of Islam, and that it is the thing which distinguishes a Muslim from a kaafir, as it says in the hadeeth of Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Between a man and shirk and kufr there stands his giving up prayer.

Narrated by Muslim, 82.

The fuqaha’ (may Allaah have mercy on them) differed concerning the ruling on congregational prayers. There are a number of opinions, the most sound of which is that prayer in congregation in the mosque is obligatory and is what is indicated by the shar’i evidence.

This is the view of ‘Ata’ ibn Abi Rabaah, al-Hasan al-Basri, al-Awzaa’i and Abi Thawr, and of Imam Ahmad as it appears from some of his statements. This was also stated by al-Shaafa’i in Mukhtasar al-Muzni where he said: “With regard to praying in congregation, I do not allow a concession to anyone not to do it except one who has an excuse.” This was also the view favoured by Shaykh Ibn Baaz and Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on them).

With regard to the evidence that it is obligatory, it is as follows:

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“When you (O Messenger Muhammad) are among them, and lead them in As-Salaah (the prayer), let one party of them stand up [in Salaah (prayer)] with you taking their arms with them; when they finish their prostrations, let them take their positions in the rear and let the other party come up which have not yet prayed, and let them pray with you”

[al-Nisa’ 4:102]

Ibn al-Mundhir said:

The fact that Allaah has commanded us to establish prayer in congregation even at times of fear indicates that doing so at times of security is even more obligatory.

Al-Awsat, 4/135

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

There are several ways in which this verse may be taken as evidence:

Firstly, Allaah commands them to pray in congregation, then He repeats the command with regard to the second group, by saying “and let the other party come up which have not yet prayed, and let them pray with you”. This indicates that praying in congregation is obligatory on an individual basis, as Allaah did not excuse the second group because the first group had done it. If praying in congregation was Sunnah, the best excuse for not doing it would be the excuse of fear. If it were fard kafaayah (a communal obligation), it would no longer be obligatory after the first group had done it. So this verse proves that it is obligatory for each and every individual. So these are the three ways in which this verse proves it is obligatory: Allaah commands it once, then He commands it again, and He does not allow them a concession not to do it at times of fear.

Al-Salaah wa Hukm Taarikiha, p. 137, 138

2 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And perform As-Salaah (Iqaamat-as-Salaah), and give Zakaah, and bow down (or submit yourselves with obedience to Allaah) along with Ar-Raaki‘oon (those who bow)”

[al-Baqarah 2:43]

The way in which this verse may be taken as evidence is that here Allaah commanded them to bow, which refers to prayer. Prayer is described as rukoo’ (bowing) here because bowing is one of the pillars or essential parts of the prayer, and prayer is sometimes referred to by its pillars and obligatory components, as Allaah calls it sujood (prostration), Qur’aan and Tasbeeh (glorification of Allaah). And the phrase “along with Ar-Raaki‘oon (those who bow)” cannot mean anything other than doing it with a congregation of worshippers. This is what the word ma’a (with) means. Once this is understood, if a command mentions a particular manner or situation, then the one who is commanded to do it cannot obey the command properly unless he does it in the manner or situation mentioned. Some may argue that Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Maryam! Submit yourself with obedience to your Lord (Allaah, by worshipping none but Him Alone) and prostrate yourself, and bow down along with Ar-Raaki‘oon (those who bow down)”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:43]

but this does not mean that women have to attend prayers in congregation. It was said that this verse does not imply that this is enjoined upon all women, rather this was something that applied only to Maryam, unlike the words “And perform As-Salaah (Iqaamat-as-Salaah), and give Zakaah, and bow down (or submit yourselves with obedience to Allaah) along with Ar-Raaki‘oon (those who bow)”. Maryam was a unique case, unlike other women, because her mother had vowed that she would be sacred to Allaah and devoted to His worship; she would stay in the place of worship and not leave it. So she was commanded to bow with the people in the place of worship. When Allaah chose her and purified her and chose her above all the women of the world, He commanded her to obey Him in ways that were unique to her and did not apply to other women. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (remember) when the angels said: “O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allaah has chosen you, purified you (from polytheism and disbelief), and chosen you above the women of the ‘Aalameen (mankind and jinn) (of her lifetime).”

43. O Mary! “Submit yourself with obedience to your Lord (Allaah, by worshipping none but Him Alone) and prostrate yourself, and bow down along with Ar-Raaki‘oon (those who bow down)”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:42-43]

Some say that the fact that they were commanded to bow with those who bow does not indicate that it is obligatory to bow with them at the time when they are bowing, rather it indicates that one should do as they do, as in the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Fear Allaah, and be with those who are true (in words and deeds)”

[al-Tawbah 9:119]

They further argue that the word ma’a (with) means doing the same as they do, but it does not necessarily mean doing it at the same time. The answer is that in Arabic, the word ma’a means more than doing the same as someone else, rather it means doing it with them, especially in the case of prayer. If someone says “Go and pray with the congregation” or “I prayed with the congregation”, the only interpretation can be is that he went and joined them and prayed together with them.

al-Salaah wa Hukm Taarikiha, 139-141

3 – It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, I was thinking of ordering that wood be gathered, then I would have ordered that the call to prayer be given, then I would have told a man to lead the people in prayer, then I would have gone from behind and burned the houses of men who did not attend the (congregational) prayer down around them. By the One in Whose hand is my soul, if any one of them had known that he would get a bone covered with good meat or two sheep’s feet with meat in them, he would have turned up for the ‘Isha’ prayer.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 618; Muslim, 651

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most burdensome prayers for the hypocrites are ‘Isha’ and Fajr. If they knew what (reward) is in them, they would come to them even if they had to crawl. I was thinking of ordering that the call to prayer be given, then I would tell a man to lead the people in prayer, and I would go out with men carrying bundles of wood to people who do not come to the prayers, and I would burn their houses with fire around them.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 626; Muslim, 651

Ibn al-Mundhir said:

The fact that he was thinking of burning down the houses of people who stayed behind and did not attend the prayers is the clearest indication that it is obligatory to pray in congregation, because it would not have been permissible for the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to burn down the houses of those who stayed behind if prayer in congregation was only something good but not obligatory.

Al-Awsat, 4/134

Al-San’aani said:

This hadeeth indicates that prayer in congregation is an individual obligation, not a communal one, because if it was a communal obligation and some had done it, why would others have deserved the punishment? There is no punishment except for one who neglects an obligatory duty or does something that is haraam.

Subul al-Salaam, 2/18, 19

4 – It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: A blind man [Ibn Umm Maktoom] came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I have no one to lead me to the mosque,” and he asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to grant him a concession allowing him to pray in his house, and he allowed him that. But when he turned away he said, “Can you hear the call to prayer?” He said, “Yes.” He said, “Then answer it.” According to a version narrated by Abu Dawood (552) and Ibn Maajah (792) he said: “I do not think there is any concession for you.”

Al-Nawawi said concerning this hadeeth: its isnaad is saheeh or hasan.

Al-Majmoo’, 4/164

Ibn al-Mundhir said:

If there is no concession for a blind man, then it is more appropriate that there should be no concession for one who can see.

Al-Awsat, 4/134

Ibn Qudaamah said:

If there is no concession for a blind man who had no one to lead him, it is more appropriate that there should be no concession for others.

Al-Mughni, 2/3

5 – It was narrated that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: Whoever would like to meet Allaah tomorrow as a Muslim, let him regularly perform these prayers when the call for them is given, for they are among the ways of guidance. Allaah has prescribed for your Prophet ways of guidance, and if you pray in your homes, as this one who stays away from the prayers prays in his home, then you will have abandoned the way of your Prophet, and if you abandon the way of your Prophet you will go astray. There is no man who purifies himself and does it well, then he goes to one of these mosques, but for every step he takes, Allaah will record for him one hasanah (good deed) and will raise him thereby one degree in status, and will erase for him one sayi’ah (bad deed). I saw us (at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) and no one stayed behind from these prayers except a hypocrite who was known for his hypocrisy. A man would come supported by two others so that he could stand in the row.

According to another version, he said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us the ways of guidance, and told us that one of the way of guidance is to pray in the mosque when the call to prayer is given.

Narrated by Muslim, 654

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

What we may conclude from this is that he described staying away from the prayers as one of the signs of the hypocrites who are known for their hypocrisy. The signs of hypocrisy are not omitting mustahabb actions or doing makrooh things. Whoever seeks to learn the signs of hypocrisy according to the Sunnah will find that they are omitting obligatory actions or doing haraam things. This is supported by the fact that he said: “Whoever would like to meet Allaah tomorrow as a Muslim, let him regularly perform these prayers when the call for them is given”. And he described the one who stays away and offers the prayers at home as being one who has abandoned the Sunnah which is the path of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the laws that he prescribed for his ummah. What is meant is not the Sunnah which those who wish can do and those who do not wish can omit, because omitting that is not misguidance or a sign of hypocrisy – such as not praying Duha and qiyaam al-layl, or fasting on Mondays and Thursdays.

Al-Salaah wa Hukm Taarikiha, p. 146, 147

6 – The consensus of the Sahaabah

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

There was consensus among the Sahaabah and we will quote what they said:

We have mentioned the words of Ibn Mas’ood above: “I saw us (at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) and no one stayed behind from these prayers except a hypocrite who was known for his hypocrisy.”

It was also narrated that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Whoever hears the muezzin and does not respond with no excuse, his prayer is not valid.”

It was narrated that Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari said: “Whoever hears the muezzin and does not respond with no excuse, his prayer is not valid.”

It was narrated that ‘Ali said: “There is no prayer for a neighbour of the mosque except in the mosque.” It was said, “Who is the neighbour of the mosque?” He said, “Whoever can hear the muezzin.”

It was narrated that al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Whoever hears the call to prayer and does not come, his prayer does not go beyond his head, except for one who has an excuse.”

It was narrated that ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Whoever among the neighbours of the mosque hears the call to prayer, and he is in good health and does not have any excuse, his prayer is not valid.”

Al-Salaah wa Hukm Taarikiha, p/ 153

There is a great deal of evidence, but what we have quoted above is sufficient. You can refer to the book by Ibn al-Qayyim, al-Salaah wa Hukm Taarikiha (Prayer and the Ruling on one who abandons it), which has a lot more information. Shaykh Ibn Baaz wrote a useful essay entitled Wujoob Ada’ al-Salaah fi Jamaa’ah (The obligation of offering prayers in congregation).

And Allaah knows best.

Mahir
09-13-2008, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
......one who abandons it), which has a lot more information. Shaykh Ibn Baaz wrote a useful essay entitled Wujoob Ada’ al-Salaah fi Jamaa’ah (The obligation of offering prayers in congregat.........

And Allaah knows best.
Assalamu Alaikum bro, i dont belive that he wonders about if praying in the mosque is obligatory, i think he wonders about the hadith, and why Rasool Allah would burn people houses, he himself prohibited burning, and killing people for not praying in the mosque.. how should be interpent this hadith?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd-al Latif
09-13-2008, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mahir
Assalamu Alaikum bro, i dont belive that he wonders about if praying in the mosque is obligatory, i think he wonders about the hadith, and why Rasool Allah would burn people houses, he himself prohibited burning, and killing people for not praying in the mosque.. how should be interpent this hadith?
:wasalamex

Ibn al-Mundhir (rh) said: The fact that he was thinking of burning down the houses of people who did not attend the prayer is the clearest evidence that attending prayer in congregation is obligatory, because it would not be permissible for the Prophet (saaws) to do this with regard to something that was mustahabb and not obligatory. Al-Awsat, 4/134

Al-San’aani said:

This hadeeth indicates that prayer in congregation is an individual obligation, not a communal one, because if it was a communal obligation and some had done it, why would others have deserved the punishment? There is no punishment except for one who neglects an obligatory duty or does something that is haraam.

AntiKarateKid
09-13-2008, 02:18 PM
:wasalamex

Ibn al-Mundhir (rh) said: The fact that he was thinking of burning down the houses of people who did not attend the prayer is the clearest evidence that attending prayer in congregation is obligatory, because it would not be permissible for the Prophet (saaws) to do this with regard to something that was mustahabb and not obligatory. Al-Awsat, 4/134

Al-San’aani said:

Thanks alot for the answers bro. I was wondering one last thing, some versions of the hadith say burn the houses and them, others just say burn the houses . Would you know which it is?

'Abd-al Latif
09-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Some exerpts from the book: Islamic Jurispudence by Sh. Al-Fawzaan.

Congregational Prayer at the Mosque is considered one of the great rituals of Islam. All Muslim scholars unanimously agree that performing the Five obligatory Prayers at the Mosque is a confirmed act of obdience and among the best means of drawing near to Allah. Rather, it is the greatest and most apparent rituals of Islam.

Among the virtues of the congregational prayer is that it teaches the ignorant, multiplies the reward and motivates towards doing righteous deeds. This happens when a Muslim person sees other Muslims practicing good deeds and as a result, he will follow them.

The congregational prayer is obligatory upon men whether one is an residence or on a journey and whether in a state of saftey or fear, as an individual duty. The proof of this came in the Ever-Glorious Book (the Qur'an), the Sunnah (Prophetic Tradition) and the practicies of Muslims through centuries. It is a thing that the Muslim nation used to practice generation after another. And for this reason, Mosques are maintained and imams (leaders in prayer) and prayer callers (muezzins) are appointed for them. Moreover, there was a special call ordained for it, namely, "Come to prayer! Come to success!"

Al-Bukhari and Muslim related on a hadith on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (r) that th Prophet (PBUH) said:

The most difficult prayer for the hypocrites is the Fajr and the 'Isha Prayers and if they knew the reward for these prayers (at their respective times), they would certainly present themselves (in the mosques) even if they had to crawl."
(The Prophet added):

"Certainly, I was about to order the prayer called (muezzin) to pronounce the immediate prayer call (Iqamah) and order a man to lead the prayer and take a fire flame to burn all those who had not left their houses so far for the prayer, along with their houses." [Bukhari 647, Muslim 1474]
The evidence, concerning the obligation of the congregational prayer, which is stated in the hadith, is based on two aspects. First, the Prophet (PBUH) described those who did not attend it as hypocrites; however, the one who does not follow (any) Sunnah (Prophetic Tradition) is not regarded as a hypocrite. Accordlingly, this indicates that those who did not attend the congregational prayer had left an obligation. Second, the Prophet (PBUH) wished to punish those who abondoned it. That is, punishment is to be established on the one who leaves an obligation. However, the Prophet (PBUH) did not establish the punishment, as there were woman and children, who were not obligated to perform congregational prayer, in these houses.

AntiKarateKid
09-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Some exerpts from the book: Islamic Jurispudence by Sh. Al-Fawzaan.

Congregational Prayer at the Mosque is considered one of the great rituals of Islam. All Muslim scholars unanimously agree that performing the Five obligatory Prayers at the Mosque is a confirmed act of obdience and among the best means of drawing near to Allah. Rather, it is the greatest and most apparent rituals of Islam.

Among the virtues of the congregational prayer is that it teaches the ignorant, multiplies the reward and motivates towards doing righteous deeds. This happens when a Muslim person sees other Muslims practicing good deeds and as a result, he will follow them.

The congregational prayer is obligatory upon men whether one is an residence or on a journey and whether in a state of saftey or fear, as an individual duty. The proof of this came in the Ever-Glorious Book (the Qur'an), the Sunnah (Prophetic Tradition) and the practicies of Muslims through centuries. It is a thing that the Muslim nation used to practice generation after another. And for this reason, Mosques are maintained and imams (leaders in prayer) and prayer callers (muezzins) are appointed for them. Moreover, there was a special call ordained for it, namely, "Come to prayer! Come to success!"

Al-Bukhari and Muslim related on a hadith on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (r) that th Prophet (PBUH) said:

The most difficult prayer for the hypocrites is the Fajr and the 'Isha Prayers and if they knew the reward for these prayers (at their respective times), they would certainly present themselves (in the mosques) even if they had to crawl."
(The Prophet added):

"Certainly, I was about to order the prayer called (muezzin) to pronounce the immediate prayer call (Iqamah) and order a man to lead the prayer and take a fire flame to burn all those who had not left their houses so far for the prayer, along with their houses." [Bukhari 647, Muslim 1474]
The evidence, concerning the obligation of the congregational prayer, which is stated in the hadith, is based on two aspects. First, the Prophet (PBUH) described those who did not attend it as hypocrites; however, the one who does not follow (any) Sunnah (Prophetic Tradition) is not regarded as a hypocrite. Accordlingly, this indicates that those who did not attend the congregational prayer had left an obligation. Second, the Prophet (PBUH) wished to punish those who abondoned it. That is, punishment is to be established on the one who leaves an obligation. However, the Prophet (PBUH) did not establish the punishment, as there were woman and children, who were not obligated to perform congregational prayer, in these houses.

Was this punishment there for the hypocrites at the time who tried to destroy Islam internally or is it still applicable today?

'Abd-al Latif
09-13-2008, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Was this punishment there for the hypocrites at the time who tried to destroy Islam internally or is it still applicable today?
I don't now, Allah knows best.

AntiKarateKid
09-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't now, Allah knows best.
Cool. Anyone else have thoughts concerning my original post?

Malaikah
09-14-2008, 05:01 AM
I just wanted to point out that there is no agreement that it is obligatory for men to pray all five prayers in the mosque.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.