/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Just Forgive People!

Re.TiReD
09-13-2008, 12:42 PM
:salamext:

From the Qur'an

{It is part of the Mercy of Allah that you deal gently
with them. Were you severe or harsh-hearted, they would have
went away from you: so pass over (their faults), and
ask for (Allah's) forgiveness for them; and consult them in the
affairs (of the moment). Then, when you have taken a decision, place
your trust in Allah. For Allah loves those who place their trust
(in Him).} 3:159

[Lessons from this verse]

It is not the snake bite that kills,
it's the venom that flows through the blood. The antidote is
forgiving people. Don't let anger rent space in your mind and
heart. Forgive and pass over people's faults.

:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
09-13-2008, 12:45 PM
:sl:
if this is in response to certain things that have occured in the last 5 mins or so :p then errr...what can i say...i cant really say i appreciate being used as someones verbal punching bag every time they have a 'bad day'... :)

thanks for the reminder though:thumbs_up

Nawal89
09-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Forgiving is one thing, but forgetting is another. Sometimes things people do to you leave deep scars and you keep remembering it over and over again. It makes you bitter towards them. But that doesnt necessarily mean you havent forgiven them.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Agreed!^ :)

(thats generally speaking btw)...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
09-13-2008, 12:50 PM
BarakAllahu Feekum.

And yes its true (@ the forgetting thing).... For a believer is never stung at the same hole twice sa7?

But it takes an amazing person to forgive somebody who left a deep scar...SubhanAllah

WassalamuAlaykum

'Abd al-Baari
09-13-2008, 12:50 PM

JazakAllah Khayr ukht, nice reminder Masha'Allah :thumbs_up

The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.

:w:

Re.TiReD
09-13-2008, 12:54 PM

Wa Iyaak Akhee wa BarakAllahu Feek for your reminder also.

The Prophet Muhammad (SAW - may the peace & blessings of Allah be upon him) said: Musa (AS - peace be upon him), the son of Imran once asked," Oh my Lord! Who is the most honourable of Your servants? And He replied, the person who forgives even when he is in a position of power" (Baihaqi).

WassalamuAlaykum

Nawal89
09-13-2008, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari

JazakAllah Khayr ukht, nice reminder Masha'Allah :thumbs_up

The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.

:w:
I love this quote. InshaAllah we'll all try to be from the wise whenever we get caught in a situation where we are wronged and have to forgive.

Re.TiReD
09-13-2008, 01:01 PM

A word of advice

, and I remind myself before anybody else since we are all human and prone to making mistakes.

We're all different. Thats the beauty of life and creation SubhanAllah. We're different and have different veiws, thoughts and ideas. Its imperative then that we realise that although these differences may cause us to quarrel at times, that forgiveness and forgiving others is a commendable trait.

Have patience, live and let live. If somebody says something you dislike, speak to them but do so in a nice manner. Try to keep your anger at bay, and most importantly -Forgive.

I'm me, and that is all I'll ever be. The same goes for you brothers and sisters. We have to take both the good and the bad in each other and try our utmost best to bring out the good. Help each other, dont quarrel over petty, tiresome things. All you will do is harm the relationship between your fellow brothers and sisters,

Do not bear grudges or make enemies for yourselves. For on the Last Day, your relations with others will hold you down.

Keep a sweet tongue and maintain your hayaa on the forums

Keep your anger in check and PLEASE, please - if not for anybody else - for Allah's Sake, please forgive one another and dont harbour any ill-feelings.

May Allah bless you all. Ameen. And again I will say - This rant/lecture is to remind me before anybody else

chacha_jalebi
09-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Once a man walked into masjid al nabawi, and the Prophet (saw) said “this man is from the men of jannah” so Abdullah Ibn Umar (Ra), he was quite like intrigued and wondered what the man did, that made him so special, that he is bein promised jannah in this life, like the blessed 10 sahaba were promised jannah, by RasoolAllah (saw) and everyone knew they were wicked sahaba, but this man, what makes him from jannah! All these questions made Hadhrat Abdullah ibn Umar (Ra) try to get to know the man, so he decided to make up a story and say to the man “ive had a fight with my father, can i stay at your house for a few days” the man said “yaa wag1” na lol basically he said yes, so Hadhrat Abdullah ibn Umar (Ra) kept like a eye on the man to see what he does, and he noticed the man went about his day to day duties, he didn’t do anything extra like nawafil prayers, fast or pray late in the night, so Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (Ra) decided to confront the man, he told him “ i made up a story bout havin a fight with my father, i just wanted to stay with you, so i could see what you did, because the Prophet (Saw) said, your a man goin to jannah, but i don’t mean to be rude, i haven’t seen you do anythin extra, you don’t fast, or pray extra, you jus do the basics” so the man smiled at Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (Ra) and said “before i sleep, everynight i sincerely from my heart, forgive those who wronged me and i clear out any hatred towards people”
sooo forgivee people and clear out hatred innaay

you can read more from this post by a very noble brother :p

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...e-stories.html

gladTidings
09-13-2008, 01:25 PM
What if you forgive a person but then sometimes something reminds you of what this person did and sparks up the hatred again and makes you question whether you really forgive them. I convince myself I have forgiven them everytime im in this situation but it seems like sometimes I havent.

I can easily forgive anyone else but seems like this one keeps coming back to haunt me lol.

Re.TiReD
09-13-2008, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl

I can easily forgive anyone else but seems like this one keeps coming back to haunt me lol.
Only if u let is sis ^^

Remember that everybody makes mistakes, no matter if they're few or far between or quite constant, a mistake is a mistake and ok u might not be able to forget it, but forgive for the sake of Allah (swt) insha'Allah and try not to harbour any ill-feelings towards another.

I know it can be difficult sometimes but just do it :D :)

Güven
09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
MashaAllah Nice Thread , JazakAllahu Khair :thumbs_up

Beautiful Quote :statisfie

Re.TiReD
09-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Wa Iyaak Akhee, Na'am, tiz indeed a beautiful quote.

Eric H
09-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Greetings and peace be with you JσℓιєFℓєυя; thanks for starting this thread on forgiveness. can I post a real life story to show how powerful forgiveness can be.

Ginn Fourie & Letlapa Mphahlele
In 1993 Lyndi Fourie was killed in the Heidelberg Tavern Massacre in Cape Town aged 23. Nine years later, her mother, Ginn Fourie, heard a radio interview with the man who had ordered the attack. Letlapa Mphahlele, the former Director of Operations of Apla (Azanian Peoples Liberation Army), the military wing of the PAC was in Cape Town to promote his biography, Child of this Soil. Since then both have been working to further conciliation in South Africa through the Lyndi Fourie Foundation.
Ginn Fourie
On the evening of 30 December 1993 a hale of AK 47 gunfire ended our daughter’s life and dreams. She had no time to debate the reasons for the PAC (Pan Africanist Congress) wanting 'Whites' to suffer as 'Blacks' had suffered under Apartheid, even though she had often wept at the injustices against Blacks.
As parents we struggled to come to terms with our loss. It was a time of deep agony for my husband, myself and our son Anthony. At the funeral my eldest brother, who conducted the service, recommended that the most appropriate Christian response to violence is to absorb it; just as Lyndi’s soft body had done on that fateful day.
Within a week of the Heidelberg Massacre, three young men were detained and in November 1994 they stood trial. I sat in the Supreme Court in Cape Town, looking at them in the dock: Humphrey Gqomfa, Vuyisile Madasi and Zola Mabala. As I did so I was confronted by my own feelings of anger and sadness, but somehow I could engender no hate. During the trial I sent a message to them via the interpreter that 'if they are or feel guilty I forgive them'.
However, I also depended on the law to avenge my loss and was relieved when all three were convicted of murder and sent to prison for an average of 25 years each. The Judge described them as puppets who had enacted a violent crime which had been strategised by more cunning and intelligent people than themselves.
Many could not countenance my forgiveness for Lyndi’s killers, but as a Christian I cherished the role-model of Christ forgiving his murderers. Since then I have come to understand forgiveness as a process which involves the principled decision to give up ones justifiable right to revenge - for to accept violation is a devaluation of the self.
At the TRC (Truth and Reconciliation Commission) Hearing in October 1997 I learnt that Lyndi’s killers were likely to be granted amnesty and I did not oppose it. At the conclusion of the Hearings the three young men asked to speak to me. They thanked me and said that they would take my message of forgiveness and hope to their communities and to their graves, whether they received amnesty or not.
Then in October 2002 I turned on my car radio and heard an interview with Letlapa Mphahlele – the man who had masterminded the Heildelberg massacre. I knew he had been dodging the public prosecutor and had not applied for amnesty and so with a sense of anger and righteous indignation I took myself down to his book launch. It took some courage to stand up and ask him whether he was trivialising the whole TRC process by not participating. To my surprise he responded in a very positive way. He said he could understand why people might think this but from his perspective the TRC had trivialised the fact that Apla were fighting a just war and why, while his soldiers were being held in prison, had the apartheid defence forces been spared? I hadn’t thought of it like this before and tears came to my eyes. Then Letlapa came straight from the podium to where I was sitting and said “I’ll do anything if you’ll meet with me this week.” In that moment I saw remorse in his eyes and body language. It would have been so much easier if he'd been a monster with horns and a tail - if there was something to hate.
People were saying he was unapologetic but I soon discovered that for Letlapa saying ‘sorry’ is too easy. He needs to build bridges between our communities to bring conciliation. That October he invited me to his home-coming ceremony in Seleteng (Limpopo Province) and asked me to speak at the occasion. It was here that I was able to apologise to his people for the shame and humiliation which my ancestors had brought on them through slavery, colonialism and apartheid. Vulnerable feelings when expressed to each other have the potential to establish lasting bonds
Letlapa’s name means a man of stone. I feel he has been weathered by a formidable struggle to become a child of this soil. I too am a child of this soil. I know his comrades' bullets killed my daughter and that terrible pain will always be with me, but I have forgiven this man who gave the command. I feel his humanity.
Letlapa Mphahlele
“I believed that terror had to be answered with terror.”
I am an atheist but I believe absolutely in reconciliation, meeting soul to soul, person to person. As human-beings we have to face each other and mend relationships. Meeting Ginn has been a profound and humbling experience for me. From our first meeting in 2002 Ginn understood me and while others couldn't understand why these terrorists were still unapologetic, why they wouldn’t talk in glowing terms about the TRC, Ginn said she detected that this person was remorseful. By this time all the charges against me had been withdrawn, but still I did not feel anything inside me. It was only when people extended gifts of forgiveness that the roots of my hearts were shaken and something was restored inside me.
Since meeting Ginn I have had to face the fact that people were killed because of my orders and acknowledge that the people we fought, harmed and caused grief to were never our direct enemies. I believed that terror had to be answered with terror and I authorized high profile massacres on white civilians in the same way that the whites did on us. At the time it seemed the only valid response - but where would it have ended? If my enemy had been cannibals, would I have eaten white flesh? If my enemy had raped black women, would I have raped white women?
I have changed since then and I no longer believe you should meet violence with violence. I now think you can deal with oppression in a more creative way. I believe what Ginn says, that even if violence comes your way ‘absorb it’. That is not the coward’s way. It’s extremely difficult. My mission now is to reach out to those who survived because by meeting together we are able to restore each other’s humanity. When Ginn attended my homecoming, she delivered the most moving speech of the day. She stood up and asked for forgiveness from the people on behalf of her ancestors. She also got the loudest applause, louder than I got after nearly two decades in exile.
Some people have decided not to forgive me for what I have done and I understand them. It’s not easy to forgive but to those who have forgiven I believe this is the start to rebuilding our communities. This is an intense human mission. People sometimes ask me if I have also killed people face to face. When I am asked this question I never answer - not because I am afraid of speaking the truth but because I believe that every foot soldier who killed at my command is less guilty than me because I authorized the targets. So I exonerate those who pulled the trigger. It is I who should shoulder the blame.

http://www.theforgivenessproject.com...fourie-letlapa
In the spirit of striving to forgive our freinds and enemies,

Eric

Ali.
09-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Really nice thread, sis'.

May I also add that if you do not forgive, that anger could easily turn into the will to get revenge, which could lead on to terrible things...

Re.TiReD
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Thank you Ali and Eric :)

I actually read that story, its amazing :)

sirajstc
09-17-2008, 11:14 AM
jazakalla khair

Re.TiReD
09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Wa Iyaak wa BarakAllah Feek :)

------
09-24-2008, 03:51 PM
:salamext:

:bump:

I thought this was a good reminder from Muhammad Al Shareef bro, mashaAllaah

Re.TiReD
09-24-2008, 09:21 PM

Innit tho sis :D

JazakAllah khayr

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.