/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Starfish and Student Loans

Starfish
09-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Asalamu alaikum,

I have a problem. I was not born into Islam. I am a revert....anyway, I chose to pursue a college education. I graduated all the way up to masters degree. There were many reasons for doing it...i've been through a lot, but for me, it was a way out of my troubling situation...and I had to borrow money to do it. I was not happy with the decision to borrow money, but I did it.

I currently owe $100,000...

I left school in 2006, and it has been a struggle to enter the workforce, and I am unemployed.

I know there are people out there with worse problems, but I don't know what to do about this problem. I've sent out hundreds of resumes, but i'm always told, i'm not experienced. it's disheartening. the bills keep coming, and I don't know what to do.....

i've been able to solve, with allah's help, the other problems, I got myself a new life, I got away from my negative family, I finalized my divorce....I remarried, and my kids have a wonderful stepfather....

but still this problem lingers....I don't know what to do.....I'm tired of job interviews and sending out resumes...

the economy is bad right now, so maybe I should just let my frustrations go......it's just hard not having anything to do....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
09-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Thread approved :)

جوري
09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
:sl: sister..
I would recommend this website
resumeedge.com
I think they can help you with a cover letter and perk up your resume so you can get the job, also ask them for websites to help you with job placement, or try a recruiting firm.

as for your loans, I'd consider debt consolidation for a low monthly payment, it might ruin your credit some, but it is better than filing for bankruptcy or paying huge amounts every month.. there was a website that oprah suggested, since there are many illegitimate ones out there, I'd stick with one that is approved by the better business bureau..

insha'Allah things will work out for you .. pray during the last ten days that Allah swt remove your debt, and make the intention to be free of debt, I believe that Allah swt grants a way in three intentions
marriage
getting out of debt
making pilgrimage

and pls keep us updated on your situation..
May Allah swt grant you every blessing
:w:

جوري
09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
p.s I know this might sound bad especially for someone who has an advanced degree but have you thought of nursing or teaching? I know a few doctors from back home as well from Russia who forgo pursuing medicine in the U.S because nursing was fast and paid the bills
Nurses can make up to $130,000, depending on specialty, which believe me is more than some doctors in family practice or pediatrics make . also if you are ACLS certified it can add another 10,000 to your salary, if you are an ICU nurse or an OR nurse..
certified nurses are very hard to find and it doesn't matter what the economy is like, as it is one of those jobs that are not affected at all by it... even mergers with hospitals or hospitals closing down due to bad economic times, this is one steady job...
if you have your masters already, and I am not sure what your undergrad was in, but I believe with an advanced degree as yours, half your course work will already count as credit.. you'll just have to take the equivalent exam and be on your way...

once you have gotten out of debt and have some experience under your belt then insha'Allah you can find a more suitable job for your sphere of expertise and to cultivate your talents..

and Allah knows best
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.