/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sura 2

johnmac
09-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Hello,

While reading this Sura it state that men are a degree above women. What does that mean to you and you is this looked at in a modern society?

Peace

JOhn

:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
09-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi Johnmac,

This refers to a degree of responsibility. In Islam, men are responsible for supporting women, most notably on a financial level although they are responsible for protecting women in every sense (see 4:34). In practice, this means that men are obliged to work in order to support their wives (and families) whereas there is no such obligation upon a woman. Of course, if a woman wishes to work then she is free to do so, provided that her duties and responsibilies in the household are already taken care of. Any money that a woman earns is for herself to spend as she wishes (within the boundaries set by Allah), since she is not obliged to provide for her family.

And Allah knows best.

Regards

johnmac
09-24-2008, 11:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Hi Johnmac,

This refers to a degree of responsibility. In Islam, men are responsible for supporting women, most notably on a financial level although they are responsible for protecting women in every sense (see 4:34). In practice, this means that men are obliged to work in order to support their wives (and families) whereas there is no such obligation upon a woman. Of course, if a woman wishes to work then she is free to do so, provided that her duties and responsibilies in the household are already taken care of. Any money that a woman earns is for herself to spend as she wishes (within the boundaries set by Allah), since she is not obliged to provide for her family.

And Allah knows best.

Regards
OK that makes sense. So where do the Taliban in the Quran find the verus requiring women to stay at home and fully cover their body? One would think in that situation that if a family was well off and the wife could work, would she? When I read this verse it told me that I am a degree above, I am sure other received the same understand. Thanks,

Sahabiyaat
09-24-2008, 11:44 AM
the taliban:muddlehea

they are not the best example for portraying a true picture of islam lol.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
09-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi johnmac,

format_quote Originally Posted by johnmac
So where do the Taliban in the Quran find the verus requiring women to stay at home and fully cover their body?
I'm not sure that they found any such thing in the Qur'an. Having said that, it is pretty much possible to take parts of isolated verses out of context and twist their meaning in order to support almost any agenda. That isn't a problem witht the text though, it's a problem with the person.

One would think in that situation that if a family was well off and the wife could work, would she?
That would be entirely up to her.

When I read this verse it told me that I am a degree above, I am sure other received the same understand. Thanks,
Which translation of the Qur'an were you using?

Regards :)

johnmac
09-24-2008, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
the taliban:muddlehea

they are not the best example for portraying a true picture of islam lol.
Please tell me what would be a good example of Islam then?

Thanks,

Uthman
09-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Please tell me what would be a good example of Islam then?
Prophet Muhammad. :)

Sahabiyaat
09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
exactly

If i were to ask you to give me a good example of a practising christain.....you would be blank for a minute, as you dont personally know every excellent practising christian out there!, just as im unfortuantely dont know every practising muslim!

So you would probably say to me....well i cant give you the example of the binge drinking, promiscious, drug induced next so called 'christian', just as i cant give you the example of the honour killing, innvoating, suicidal, fanatic crazy muslim :), ...therefore since very few follow the actual teachings of christianity or Islam, we presumably both should go back to the roots, which is Jesus and Muhammed and the moral teachings they examplified.

and there you have your example.....just as so called jews and christians are not the best example of their religion, simply because they do not follow the original teachings anymore, neither is any next muslim out there ...and certainly not the taliban :)

Sahabiyaat
09-25-2008, 02:03 PM
just to add to the anwser for you original question...the man is a maintainer, i.e he must buy my gucci/prada.....in this regard, he would rather not have this 'degree' above me, ask any harassed looking husband :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.